NBA 2K15 - PS4/Xbox One/PC/PS3/X360

I have no problems with lay ups or clutching, in fact I've never had the CPU coming back in the last quarter, though I started playing on default difficulty and plan to move up to Allstar when I master everything.

When CPU start having a bit of success I always quickly call a timeout and start playing very tactical, using plays and refusing to enter into a point race. When they attack, I commit fouls to stop their plays and force free throws by their worse players. Free throws are way more realistic this year and can decide a match.

So far I'm loving the game, all the concerns of last year have been addressed or improved. The game is slower and a lot more tactical.

I only play MyGM or random NBA Today games, though.

:LMAO::LMAO:

gvupzmh3rjnugomajriz.jpg

v1m1qlhzksjmlcpimdzk.jpg

Drekk I totally get what you are saying about the game being more tactical and I love that too.

But I'm playing on pro too, that's the default difficulty right? I've always play 2K on pro since I discovered that the other difficulties are only harder because the players get stats bump and I don't want that.

To make it harder for me I change shot success and a bunch of other sliders, this has been working for me since 2K12, I lose some games, I win some games, some games go to the wire.

But that driving issue I'm experiencing all the time. In every single drive to the basket my guy will hesitate, and I only play MyLeague/MyGM too.

Doesn't matter if you push the stick away, forward, left or right, they always do the worst possible finish. Like they wait for the opponent to come out of an unrealistic distance and contest. Not to mention they don't dunk unless they are going to blow away the dunk. This makes the AI feel cheap.

Although the game I'm used too (2K13) I had every single player, steals, block, pass, shots, rebounds and awareness edited, based on an excel formula. You would be surprised how many players have ridiculous steal and rebound ratings, although this is not affecting my driving problem, but still a core part of the gameplay.

Blocks, passing and awareness are not often as off as steals and rebounds, but I gotta check these values on 2K15 though, I'm still not sure where to edit the roster so I have not started it, perhaps I won't even find patience and time to do it.

I'm still enjoying the game, apart from driving to the basket, gonna play a lot of it, I'm sure. I will also change the sliders and check the roster later the year and eventually find the perfect balance.

Just out of curiosity though, how do you finish layups and dunks? Do you use the stick or the button to finish? If you use the stick do you use on camera relative or absolute?

Last edited:
Been a pretty poor launch for nba 2k this year, especially as a lot of features and modes are linked to online and server based, the servers on playstation eu have been the worst i've witnessed in a long time. Gladly i own it on pc also so i can still enjoy them but still, this is why a game shouldn't be mainly online.

Sauce, I don't have those problems while driving. Maybe is down to how I play, don't know. I use to play Professional the first months and Allstar when I feel comfortable.

What I do for layups, dunks, etc... is to press R2 only when the path is clear and I'm sure I'm going to finish. Sometimes I use SQUARE to do the layup/dunk, sometimes I use the right stick. I tend to use the right stick only when I want a specific finish (early floater, euro step, hop step, reverse layup, etc...) and it works great.

When there's people around, I noticed this time it's much easier to be dispossessed, blocked or bumped on your way, but if you are cautious and avoid these situations, it works smooth for me.

I got it on PS3. The graphics are the same, a few new cyberfaces (Parsons and McRoberts were the first ones I noticed) new Euroleague teams are there (though new players are all CAP not cyberfaces) and I don't think they added new tattoos to players. Also AND1 shoes aren't available. What I also really like and make the game look fresh are the new camera-angles. I can understand that they can't make the entire presentation like on next-gen, but the new camera angles make the current-gen presenation better and more realistic.

Gameplay wise, it's definitely an upgrade on 2K14. The AI is so much better and smarter. I played the Cavs and Kyrie only destroyed me with his pull-up jumpers, not to mention Love constantly slipping to that spot to shoot the triple when I wasn't paying attention. I've also noticed that the AI passes the rock more with Lebron, and he's a bit more imposing (I used to be able to guard him quite easily, but he dunked on EXACTLY like Lebron does IRL me twice) So much more fun to play. The smart-play feature is cool too, but the first time I did them I always took too long and ended up having to try and beat the shotclock.

Another stupid question.
Is there a training court and if so where?
I will definitely need lots of practice, but this game is so good i actually want to be half decent at it.

I tend to use the right stick only when I want a specific finish (early floater, euro step, hop step, reverse layup, etc...) and it works great.

I can't figure the euro step out, its usually the best finishing move along with the floater.

I'll try to improve :)

Another stupid question.
Is there a training court and if so where?
I will definitely need lots of practice, but this game is so good i actually want to be half decent at it.

I don't know on the regular menu where it is, but on MyLeague and/or MyGM there is practice mode, then you go freestyle. There is also scrimmage where you play against your reserves, but freestyle is the best to know about the moves.

Gerd, on past editions there was a kind of training tests and I remember spending 2 full days doing them in last gen. In next-gen, this seems unexistant by now, maybe next year. They have now some videos in something called University, which is a lame and cheap way of saying "we didn't have the time for more".

But, the gameplay is so brilliant!

There are videos on youtube about different skills, and you can simply do a scrimmage and try crazy things. And something I did years ago was reading ALL the control layout (which is amazingly deep) and try them one by one, noting down in a paper the ones that I found useful and easy to perform. Then incorporate them on my play and when the most basics were integrated, add a few more.

I will try to put down and explain some of my most used controls later!

If you could give me some help with post moves that would be ideal! Finding it really difficult down low with Hibbert and West on the Pacers.

No offense Drekk, but you have got be a great 2K player, or you have ice running or your veins.

This is the most frustrating AI I ever experience on a 2K, and I've played trough past cheese like the inside pass, the clutch, the shot clock, but on past 2Ks you were able to at least stop them once in a while.

I'm nearly done with 2K15 offline, and its been only 2 weeks.

The AI is unstoppable, here is the cheese list:

Points in the paint, the most noticeable of them all, they'll get in the paint at free will, because contact that happens for you are never the same that happens for them, all you can do is watch hopeless as the contact animation does not work, if you try to control a second defender to come and help they will probably get stucked a tiny bit on a animation so you can get late and foul.

Fouls are another major cheese, whenever you are helping or doing absolutely nothing but stay in front of them you will foul, and 80% of the fouls will be and-ones. The funny thing is that whenever the AI fouls you, the ball won't even go to the hoop, it won't have strength to go over the contact or its gonna go to the bleachers, hilariously frustrating.

Ultra consistent AI defense, they will make no mistakes, their rotations will be perfect and whenever another player comes to help, he comes to help like a hawk, with either a block or a steal.

Ridiculous close out on shooters, you will never ever shoot an open shot, their close out is extremely fast.

Anticipation of your mistakes as an user controller, you can chose to control lets say the guy that have the weakest offensive player, like it happens in real life with poor offensive players, and that guy will have the game of his life, backdoor cutting on you, anticipating your boxout, crossing you over.

Blocked/contested inside shots, I swear man, it does not matter if I'm patient, if I use square, if I use the stick, if I'm as wide open as you can get on a drive, they will do an animation that is blockable or contestable, Isaiah Thomas block David Lee on a drive from the side man, and I move the stick away from Thomas but Lee still made a layup with the wrong hand just so he could be blocked.

Clutch is back and it sucks, timeouts work, but one single basket from the AI also work as a momentum gainer. Its super frustrating to play a 40 minutes game, play the best you can even get in front like lets say 10 points, on the end it won't matter, they will be unstoppable and they will comeback and win.

AI offensive rebouding and making contested shots I don't even need to write about this.

Play at all star difficulty, don't go higher if you want to keep realism in matches.
All this you mention i've seen since nba 2k was introduced to pc (nba 2k9). Nba 2k11 was most rewarding when being good with controller imo.

For the most part its all about making good decisions(timing of timeouts,substitutions, running good plays at the right time etc) rather than having good fingers on sticks.

Nonetheless I really enjoy nba 2k15, massive step forward from past 3 iterations.

Play at all star difficulty, don't go higher if you want to keep realism in matches.
All this you mention i've seen since nba 2k was introduced to pc (nba 2k9). Nba 2k11 was most rewarding when being good with controller imo.

For the most part its all about making good decisions(timing of timeouts,substitutions, running good plays at the right time etc) rather than having good fingers on sticks.

Nonetheless I really enjoy nba 2k15, massive step forward from past 3 iterations.

I play on pro man, that's supposed to be easier than all star. All the difficulty level does is boost individual ratings of the AI. I don't want that.

Trust me I'm a very experienced 2K player, been playing hours and hours since 2K11, I know that playing it on pro might look too easy for you, but I know exactly what to do with the sliders to make it fun, but this time I've tried extreme sliders, some bumped to 0 others to 100 and no success.

I take my time, I move the ball to get open shots, I understand pick n roll, I play very good D, I use timeouts on AI runs and the game still pisses me off.

I might be tired of this game to be honest, this contact animation cheese been around since 2K12 and they don't do anything to improve it, its actually worse now, they've introduced more bullshit contact for you actually, yet it never works the other way.

Its time to forget to add this mycareer bullshit cutscenary, this online crap that does not work and this gimmicks on every mode to make you forget the core gameplay is not evolving. Time to reset this thing.

Been playing a lot of nba this weekend and already seen more and1s than i have in all my years playing nba 2k combined.

Hey Sauce, I know you're an experienced player, and I feel for you but I really don't feel some of those problems. So I decided to write this mega-long-post to identify what we do and where are the problems coming from, and at the same time give tips to the less experienced users in this thread, like Gerd and Shearer_god. I know there is some very basic stuff there.

Game settings
I used to play Professional (with slider tweaks as you say) and moved to Allstar last year (with some minor tweaks as well) mainly because in Allstar the big stars make a bigger impact and I like the feeling of fearing what Chris Paul or Lebron James can do to me ;)

For the sake of finding a common ground to compare, let's pretend I'm talking about Simulation default values and default game camera (I like it to look like a tv match, can't stand the camera of My Player modes, it feels too "gamey") on a PS4, default control layout. I play 11 minutes quarter matches that in my case allow very realistic results.

I played 2 matches last night in Professional and then 3 on Allstar in MyGM mode playing with the Bulls with default roster with the addition of Jordan Crawford (who was a free agent) to replace an injured McDermott. I won both professional matches by 20+ points, lost one of the Allstar by 5 points against the Clippers and won the other 2 against Sacramento and the Bucks, +15 each.

In very specific circumstances, I can concur with everything you say, all those niggles are there in some form, but very occasionally, and not detrimental of the overall experience. Some can be worked around if you're a disciplined player and know the way the game is designed. Hey, I'm not implying it's a logical or the best way, just the way the game tries to represent reality. And most probably you know it just as well as me or even better.

I must say I would sell my soul to have a football game like this one, because to me it's the best sport game I've ever played and the AI is in a complete different level to other sports games. Yes it cheats sometimes with stats boosting, but not all the time and it's designed to punish your mistakes. A bit like Demon Souls, I'll say. But on the other hand, It just fits my playstyle perfectly and I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't know, maybe I have turned into a fanboy (I hope not!!!!!!).

Points in the paint - Basics of defending
There was a great parity of points in the paint between the CPU and me in all matches, except some of them in which I purposedly charged the perimeter plays. Like it or not, you will concede about +40-50% of the points this way, but that's also what it happens in reality. If you allow more than 50% of points in the paint, then you're doing something wrong or something is not working properly. See the next points for this.

1) The main goal of deffense is to force them into bad shots. This implies containing the dribblers (more on this later), mantaining composure of the team (don't rush like a mad towards the shooter, this will leave gaps and they can dribble easily anyway, don't abuse of doulbe team) and turning shots into bad shots by using L2 (close pressure). Simply hold L2 and move the analog towards the shooter to lessen their shots if you are nearby. Great defenders in the game really make this effective.

L2 is also a good way to defend post plays, moving analog towards the body of the attacker. Use triangle (jump/block) only when you're quite sure you have decent chances of blocking. And use square (steal) just while they're starting the jump and you're facing them as a last resort to foul them. You risk suffering "and ones" if the shooter is a good and strong one (kobe, lebron...).

Don't run. R2 in deffense should be used only as a last resort or to recover a position or chasing someone in a fastbreak. In other circumstances, It will make you very vulnerable to dribblers.

2) Second goal of deffense is to protect the rim. At long term is more desirable to be crushed with threes than with easy shots in the paint.

When a shot is about to be made, just hold L2 and press X to grab the ball. L2 is the most important button in deffense.

Now imagine this scenario: an opponent dribbler has beaten his man and is about to shoot/drive in. Or a pass is made and an opponent is completely alone and ready to shoot. If you try to run towards the shooter, or move blindly your left analog towards him, there's the chance your players try to fill the hole by going out to help. And many many times this is a mistake because you can't avoid the shot (shots happen) and what you're doing is trying to reduce a menace by creating another one behind your rim, as usually is the tall players that go out. This happens in real life all the time, so this WILL happen to you now and then.

If the CPU has a good position, there's little chance you can influence his shot, so sometimes it's better to just move TOWARDS YOUR RIM and hold L2, so your players, instead of rushing out towards the shooter, try to protect the rebound. Sometimes this works just fine and considering that this year the CPU WILL MISS SOME OPEN SHOTS (which hardly did in past iterations) it can pay off at long term.

That said, I think that offensive rebounding is the main problem of the game out of the box. But last year I thought the same for months until I understood how to protect the rim, and a little slider tweak finally helped fixing it. Using this techniques WON'T completely solve the problem, there's a tendency in the game by which the ball tends to end in the hands of the same player that shot/was blocked and I hope they can patch it. But using all the above, you reduce it a lot. In my matches, CPU has an average of 50% more offensive rebounds than me. Considering I have Gibson, Noah and Gasol, I'm not happy with that. But a week ago it was a 100% more offensive rebounds ;)

As Sauce says, sometimes the CPU gets into god mode and even perfectly contested shots go in one after another. But in my experience this happens only in short runs. Only once I felt it was terribly unfair (when I lost against the Clippers, Matt Barnes and Farmar were hitting shots as if I wasn't there for the whole 4th quarter, but I was bweing raped by Chris Paul mainly which is ok).

Containing the dribblers
Personally, I always defend the ball handler. Never defend off-the-ball. It's DIFFICULT to contain them, the minimal error in your positioning will invite them to drive in. Generally, I place myself 1-2 meters away from them, just a little space to gain reaction time in case they go inside. If they move in, then I use the body to push them (left analog + L2 to cut their trajectory) and most of the times it makes them slower or force them to change trajectory.

It's very important, when there's contact, to not overdo it and commit too much to one side, because quick dribblers can epxloit this and then inmediately attack the other way and beat you. It's a game of cat and mouse, of finding balance.

And even if you're great at it, sometimes they will beat you. Last night Chris Paul totally raped me again and again. But... it's Chris Paul! I expect him to! The important thing here is how to react when this happens because if you react viscerally, your whole team will be exposed and it's easy money for the opponent.

Even against Chris Paul, he only beat me about 50% of the time. When it happens, I do one of the following (in no particular order):

1- Foul him. I don't want to give them the chance to easy points. This breaks the play and they have to start again. If I reach the bonus, they have to earn them on the free line. If the players is a good free throw shooter, then you should change tactics at this point.

2- Select one of the PF or C and move him to block him. It will expose your team elsewhere. But I prefer the ball to end in Deandre Jordan or even Blake Griffin hands than in Chris Paul's. If you time it well, sometimes you can block or push him so he misses the shot or has to pass away. The important thing here is being quick to select him and move him. It takes practice to identify when it's useful and when to do it.

3- Another thing you can do if a dribbler is driving you mad is press L1 when it starts dribbling to doubleteam. It may expose other areas of the picth, but again, I prefer Matt Barnes with an open shot than Paul.

3- Manually select another player who is nearby, like the SG for instance, and as soon as the dribbler starts the move go there to help.

But the most important thing is to just be good at containing the ball handler and I've found that the best thing is to never run, hold L2 only when you are next to or in contact with him and don't rush. Don't move if he doesn't move, leave that 1 meter of space and cut trajectories to the rim.

Fouls
I have no problems with fouls at all! I noted down all the "and one" plays, and at the end of the night it was perfectly even (10-10). Don't know if may be related with the style of shooting/driving in/release??? It's odd. I love the way it is now!

Ultra consistent AI Deffense
I know what you refer to and sometimes the AI is too effective, specially being able to track back too quickly. But for the most part, it doesn't prevent me from performing great plays and find the open man. The thing is, you won't get an open man unless you earn it.

To do so, I use a good dribbler to cause havoc in deffense, or force 2vs1 movements or run plays. Against the Sacramento, on Allstar, I had Butler scoring 8 jump shots, all of them open. Many were thanks to Rose causing havoc with dribbling then releasing the pass outside, some by the result of good called plays, some by Butler dribbling then shooting. And one by feinting a shot that sent the defender flying and then stepping in and shooting alone.

Running plays, sometimes I find this open shots at mid-play, on the fly. That's why I find the AI absolutely brilliant this year, I've had plays I had never witnessed in 2K, passing is an art. Best way to get used to it is to call plays (check the option to see FULL paths in the Coaching Options) and pay attention to all grey lines of your teammates. Many times one of them gets open during the play. Take the chance. If you're missing too many passes, use lead passing (R1 + teammate icon), but you need to know well your players to identify them visually then lead pass.

So, strategically, what I do to maximize open shots: mostly during the first quarters I start offense by calling a play (holding L1) then following the marks on the floor. Sometimes things go well, sometimes the play breaks or simply they defend well, then it's time to feed the post, ask for a screen or freelance with a star player. Last resort is to drive in like a madman to draw a foul. Sometimes it works.

SOME SCORING TIPS
Here are some moves I tend to do regularly and work for me. They're not too advanced, but some of them I found that people didn't use at all and are great.

Euro step: While you're walking towards the rim to the right, pull the right stick diagonal back-up or back-down. The player will try to sort the opponents in front by doing lateral steps and finish at the rim. Another variant that works wonders is to simply pull back the right analogue, and your player will do either a floater if you're away from the rim or simply try to finish above the defender if you're near the rim. This is a move I use a lot in fastbreaks when there's only one defender in front of me to surpass him.

Post moves: there are lots of moves, but I love the hook (when being on one side of the rim, with the right stick draw a parallel line to the backline of the court) and the reverse layup by holding the right stick towards the backline. Try to practice them, find the spot where they work best with your players, try to push your defender with R2 before chianing a move (if your opponent is weaker will be pushed and won't be able to contend your shot so well), etc...

Hesitation: With a good dribbler, if you are walking (not running) towards the rim, flick the right analogue twice towards the non-ball hand. It will make a good hesitation move that can be followed by a quick turn/move to space.

And finally what I consider the most important tip towards driving in: the use of sprint R2. What I do is never use R2 until there's a clear path to the rim. But once there's a clear path to the rim, then I always use it. It's practice.

What happens is that you can't beat a player just by running. It will produce those "bumping" situations Suace talked about. What you have to do, taking someone like Derrick Rose, Chris Paul or Wall, is to maneuver with the leg stick alone.

The defender is between you and the rim. Start by walking (walking, not running, control your stick) right towards the defender. Before any contact, but close enough to him, do a sort of 90º angle (more like a curve sometimes), first up then quickly right to proceed towards the rim. Practice until you see you can gain some space off your defender. Then, and only then, when you are beating him, I press R2 to gain the extra yards and finish to the rim. If your player is very quick, sometimes r" isn't even necessary at all.

If there's traffic in your way to the rim, press R2 and try a strong finish (though you're exposed to blocks or steals), or either do a Euro Step or a floater. If you're far from the rim but you're ahead of your defender, you can just jump shot.

Another thing to practice with a given team is to walk to the rim and when the opposition send people to stop you pass the ball to an open man. With practice, I know who will be left alone when, and when it works it's very satisfying.

Ok, those are my 2 cents by now. I'm not a ninja player at all, just a regular guy that plays a lot of 2K and enjoys 2k15 by now.

Sauce is right with the clutch, sometimes the CPU gets into GOD mode, but in my case 8 out of 10 times I can overcome it. I will continue playing for some time like this to have a bigger pciture of the gameplay, then proceed to tweak sliders/options.

Hey Sauce, I know you're an experienced player, and I feel for you but I really don't feel some of those problems. So I decided to write this mega-long-post to identify what we do and where are the problems coming from, and at the same time give tips to the less experienced users in this thread, like Gerd and Shearer_god. I know there is some very basic stuff there.

Thanks for the feedback man, its good to know about another person experience with the game. Even though I do feel like I play almost exactly like you.

I think I've figured my main problem with the game last night though.
The momentum thing, this is one of the biggest myths in basketball. That the game is a momentum game, it is not, it is an execution and discipline game. In real life there are more momentum players than teams. In this game the whole team plays via momentum its ridiculous.

Here is the issue with the game, yesterday I had the best minutes on 2K15 when the CPU ran out of time outs, they went into realistic mode all of the sudden, Patty Mills and Manu were trying to play hero ball, sometimes they were taking awful shots like they would in real life, they were gambling on defense, they were a mess and the 10pt lead I had quickly turned into a 20pt.

I forgot about this 'ran out of time outs thing'. On the past 2 weeks I was the one running out of time outs. You know how the CPU never use more than 2 on the 1st quarter, always save 3 for the 4th quarter and so on.

That's the secret to win a game, make them use the time outs, because if they don't its they turn into perfect robots very easily, only one three point, a dunk, or two baskets in a row will make they go into god mode.

But the deal is that its not easy to force them into use time outs, they only do if they are getting their ass whooped, its not fair.

I was not fair to the CPU last night tho, the only way I've managed to get that 10pt lead was by cheesing myself, I had 13 dunks on the game (all with picknrolls drive and dunks) and tons and tons of post hooks (I think its the easiest shot against them). I was abusing the same plays over and over, I only shot jumpers when I get the offensive rebound and quickly gave to a guy outside, I've still missed a ton of those, this is Klay and Steph we are talking about, missing wide open jumpers, because the CPU is into comeback mode.

I don't want to play like that myself, every game, doing only points in the paint, I'm the damn Warriors, I should be shooting threes.

Look at this video I saved, the AI was not on momentum this time (look at that 20pt lead I talked about earlier), but still.
YouTube - shot clock cheese
Even though I gambled for steals twice and left my position, I quickly recover and force them almost to the oracle logo. But the animation just push my defender to the 3pt line and he makes the shot anyway.

I was contesting with L2 and moving the right stick up. I would not be pissed off if it wasn't the second shot like that they made, Manu did one of these in the 2nd quarter (on momentum), but I forgot to save it.

This is the cheap stuff they do when they have momentum, they players are faster, they make contest shots, they get speed bursts and animations cheese, its unpleasant. And you can clearly see when its happening and when it's not. We should have at least a momentum and a clutch slider.

Last edited:
The video can't be seen, it says it's "private video". But I get what you talk about, I have felt the same now and then, but I may be a bit icy and don't get so annoyed with it.

About the timeouts, I don't think it's the only factor. I have been able to mantain a +10 lead since the first quarter to the end, and I think most of the time the game plays great.

I do agree that the last 1-2 minutes of the game, the CPU gets absurd boosts and as you say this would easily be fixed with a option/slider, as we had some years ago. But this happens in footy games as well, Fifa or PES are a joke when they do this as well.

I've changed the privacy of the video.

The thing I'm hating about this game is that I have to cheese with inside dunks to win, maybe I should change to an stronger inside scoring team like the Bulls, but I don't really want to.

I want to make jumps shots at least once in a while, I want teams playing different styles.

Most of my points come from jumpshots, never have more than 50% of my points in the paint, I will try to post videos tonight.

Wassup I'm new to joining forums. cause of review i started doing cfs. my PSN: Neuna and I've done CFS for 2k14 ps3. i have 2k15, but no reditor for it. I haven't got the ps4 yet but i'm debating on i phone 6 or that. the console is probably going to outweigh that. Anyway, i'm on ps3 w/2k15 right now.

I think I've actually downloaded a few you made. You do missing rookies right?

I also invested the last 2 days capturing quarters of my matches. Will try to upload tonight, but it will take hours.

I started a MyGM with the Warriors on Professional, and found Professional is much easier than Allstar. Winning 15+ my 3 matches so far. I find Curry and Thompson absolute killers from the perimeter, +20 points each match for each player and great shooting %, too. Iguodala is a great defender.

In professional I also have better offesnvie rebounding numbers than my opponents with the Warriors. The trick to protect your rim is when the opponent shoots, release everything (even joysticks) and hold L2. Use X only occasionally to get the ball.

My game started freezing on the menu, can't get pass it.

Drekk can't wait to see those videos man, I've seen a lot of people on OS and Youtube complaining about the same stuff that I am. I can't be that bad of a player.

Hey Sauce, I know exactly what you say, and probably you're a better player than me. Over the time I always found that many of the problems you rightly point are related to how the game works, others to playing styles and others I think are straight a game's fault not to explain better the mechanics. When it throws the dices against you, the game can be hard to swallow. But like Demon Souls, I think it's all about mastering the controls and keeping a calm head.

Take offensive rebounding, for example. First week I was conceding 3x more than earning. Or more. It felt broken. Until I got how to secure them. It works differently to what it used to in 2k14. Do this to test it: do all you can to defend a shot until the CPU starts the shooting animation. Then, only hold L2! Nothing else. You'll see your players boxing out and automatically getting the rebound. Occasionally the CPU will get it (that's ok) but 80-90% of the time you will get it.

Take into account that if you press triangle to block, you leave deffense more exposed (as if blocking leaves that player out of the equation for the rebound) so be picky when to block.

Similarly, just before the shot, don't run towards the CPU player if he has an open shot. This will probably lead to other players think they must cover other players and start moving in other directions, losing the team shape. Instead, let the CPU shoot. Yes, they will nail it many times, but they will miss many as well, unless they are sharp shooters.

Other of your concerns can be worked around/fixed by learning subtelties to controls. I discovered last night that when you are running a fast break you can push the defender. You know the scenario, right? When you are crossing the pitch and about the halfline a defender comes to you and "bumps" into you slowing you down? I discovered that if you press L2 while you run, slightly against the defender, then you can sort of "push back" and continue your way. This works if your player is stronger than the defender. I could finish to the rim at least 3 fastbreaks thanks to this.

This doesn't mean the game doesn't has any flaws. It has. And many, obviously. Some of the points in your list are really valid and believe me, I've moaned about them and got mad aboutthem while playing now and then. Sometimes the CPU decides it's on a run and will be on a run, sometimes circus shots go in more often then what seems realistic. But I try to watch at the bigger picture and break problems into a list of things to improve/learn.

But when the CPU gets a run, as you said you need ice in your veins. And understand that sometimes you will and need to loose, and sometimes Curry won't make all his jumpshots. I don't like the way sometimes a player is "ice" for the whole game, unable to shoot at all. But then you need to use other players. I've seen NBA matches in which a star wastes 10 shots in a quarter. So it can happen. We don't like it happening to us and happening too often, but for that there are sliders, and I will touch them only when I know what's really a game core problem and what's something I can improve by playing differently.

I started a MyGM with the Warriors, released players to make cap room and signed Ray Allen to lead my second unit with Livingston and Barnes (you never have enough shooters, right?). Playing Professional difficulty with Simulation sliders and 11 minutes per quarter. Won the first 2 games away against Sacramento and Portland and at home against the Lakers, all of them +10 difference at the end. I usually make the big differences in the last 2 quartes and reach halftime with level scores. I had more offensive rebounds in 2 of the matches, and the match I had more points in the paint it was about 45% of the total points.

Tonight I will upload some quarters, just be patient as my connection is crap and files are huge (1GB each according to the ps4).

About the game freezing in the menus, it happened to me twice when loading MyGM. I pushed the PS4 Home button to go to the OS and then went back to the game and "unfroze". I don't know what they have done in the menus, but performance in transitions and loading times are abysmal.

I think my main problem is that I loved this game too much since I started in 2K11. I have tons and tons of hours, and I've seen some of the problems go, but some of them came back, then they were gone again.

I honestly think they are lost when it comes to core gameplay, one game you cant block at all, the other have too many blocks. They keep going back and forth.

The gameplay dude, I think he is called Mike Wang or something, is always spot on about the gameplay issues whenever he is on those previews video they do before the release. You can tell he is a guy that understand, but he's been making promises to fix these thing everytime, sometimes he hits the nail on the head, but I'm often seeing the game taking a step back on specific situations, its kinda of a disappointment.

Specially when you see what they are investing on stuff for mycarreer for example. There is twitter, there is comment before the game, there is 2KTV, there are cutscenes and so on. And all that stuff is pretty much useless, let's be honest here. That kind of development is going full speed tho, while gameplay, eh not so much.

And on every single game release there's more of that useless stuff, that's the big picture I see anyway. I still have lots of fun with the game, still like it better than football, still gonna play hours and get pissed at the cheating AI.

But I'm starting to get tired.

Last edited:
Here's the first 2 quarters of a match against the Clippers, Professional difficulty, 11 minutes per quarter, Simulation default sliders. First quarter is always a warm up, so my play is a bit crap.

The key is deffense, the way I stop Paul and Griffin from coming into play, making the ball fall in other hands as much as possible and not letting them get into runs. Not my best match, just a good one in deffense. Livingston was injured and luckily I could get free agent Ray Allen to power my 2nd unit. I get the winning run in the second quarter, that later on was stretched in the 3rd.

Warriors vs Clippers - 1st quarter

Warriors vs Clippers - 2nd quarter

Warriors vs Clippers - 3rd quarter

Warriors vs Trailblazers - 4th quarter

Warriors vs Lakers - 4th quarter

And some screenshots of team comparisons at the end of matches.
2wcf8mg.jpg

6jet60.jpg

I have 3 other quarters of matches being uploaded. My connection is crap, it took 8 hours to upload the first 2 to Youtube and another one got canceled. Most expensive and crappy ADSL in Europe, I swear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom