NBA 2k13 - news, videos

I there any way to play on PS3 co-op against CPU? Or we should try multiplayer between us? I really can't stand multiplayer gaming in any sports game if it isn't with fair and well known people.

Yes you can.

It works this way: you can invite people to your locker room and then you can either set up a private match where you can choose the teams and players and difficulty level and time (so if 3-4 people choose players from the same team they will play against the cpu). ideally you should invite 10 people for a real game
Playing the AI on hard level is pretty toughh though.

or you can decide to play against other people and the on line system will automatically find other people and random teams (5 minutes games). But usually most people quit the game so eventually u end up playing the AI anyway.

After the patch the game is better because people get foul out for spamming the steal buttons.

I would gladly play if we team up against the cpu, my psn id is drekkard, so if you find me online don't hesitate to invite me!

The patch was a huge stepback for me. I'm hating the gameplay post patch, its like there's no bumping for the cpu again while there is bumping everywhere for you, and that amazing driving game you had before, forget it, its gone.
Passing is also terrible now, every inside pass gets deflected or stolen, no more pick and roll game as well.
They turned the perfect game into cheese again :(
To be honest I'm feeling like some animations are even gone, the quick cuts when dribbling doesn't work, some reach animations doesn't work cause every reach is foul...

you can always delete the patch.

I guess next patch will refine things. I personally like it a lot, on line all the noobs try to spam the steal button get foul out. It reminds me of old pes5 where konami correctly decide that a bad timed tackle would result in a foul. People complained because they would just paly like noobs, as a result from pes6 on defense became bs and it has been like thar for 6 years.

A couple of questions:
any tips on lay up in traffic?
Ankle breaker: how do you perform it? Or any tip on feints for pg or sg?

Last edited by a moderator:
Picking this bad boy up soon as I have an urge to play with this years rookies and smash everybody in the fantasy L. I hope a lot of you are on PSN becuz thats the version I am picking up.

The patch was a huge stepback for me.
To be honest I'm feeling like some animations are even gone, the quick cuts when dribbling doesn't work, some reach animations
doesn't work cause every reach is foul...

Well, that's strange. I felt the bumping a lot more before the patch. I'm playing Association mode at Allstar level with default simulation sliders (with some tweaks) and the game is a joy to play. There's nothing that can be a gamebreaker in any way, and I'm still witnessing things I had not before. And I'm at the playoffs with Portland winning 75% of my games.

It's really down to knowing a lot each player. I try to create mismatches then take profit of the situations. After the patch I have mixed my game a lot, only 45% of my points come from the paint and I can rebound.

I'm really sad you don't like it, everyone should love this game as I love it. I doubt I will ever tire of it. I play 3-4 matches per week and enjoy them as I had never enjoyed a sports game!

Picking this bad boy up soon as I have an urge to play with this years rookies and smash everybody in the fantasy L. I hope a lot of you are on PSN becuz thats the version I am picking up.

Enjoy it!

Nevermind drekk, I posted that opinion playing on Hall of Fame, and I was on a winning streak in my association, so you know how those games goes, even if you face the Pistons, they will cheese and destroy you.
I also had played a few MyCareer games, and boy does that gameplay is tweaked, playing a not MyCareer mode on allstar is waaaaay easier than MyCareer on rookie. Its just an awful game mode, that I will ignore for now on.
I don't know why they insist on doing the gameplay so different there.

But I still think passing, pick and roll and driving got worse, though its a lovable game playing with sliders and custom rosters.

i count 5 active ps3 users. we should really get together and kick some asses on line. is there an online coop association?

+1, and I would add that passing is much much better than 2k11 and speed is a factor, much better again than in 2k11. The only thing 2k11 has that 2k13 don't is the Jordan challenges.

But gameplay-wise, is the best sports game I've ever played, no question about it.

Glad to hear that especially from you, as I remember you hating NBA 2k12.

But just to be sure: Have they really fixed the single-player-AI to act human-like without cheating?

Glad to hear that especially from you, as I remember you hating NBA 2k12.

But just to be sure: Have they really fixed the single-player-AI to act human-like without cheating?

Not 100%, but almost, they have softened a lot things. You have to understand HOW to play it, though. Specially in defense and rebound-like. Once you do, the game is not difficult at all in All-Star and Simulation sliders. You loose now and then, but the instances in which you said "wtf" have been reduced a lot (at least from my experience in Association).

That doesn't mean that once every 10 games, suddenly your opponent gets too good. But that will always be there, I think.

Not 100%, but almost, they have softened a lot things. You have to understand HOW to play it, though. Specially in defense and rebound-like. Once you do, the game is not difficult at all in All-Star and Simulation sliders. You loose now and then, but the instances in which you said "wtf" have been reduced a lot (at least from my experience in Association).

That doesn't mean that once every 10 games, suddenly your opponent gets too good. But that will always be there, I think.

Ok, thanks, will try out the demo and see if I get some enjoyment out of playing a sim-basketball-game.

The NY Knicks GM and the Miami Heat are pissing me off in my player so I'm going to concentrate on Association for some time.

I traded away Camby and his outrageous contract and got Mogoz and a 2nd round pick in return. I'm looking to trade Amare for a complimentary PF or someone with a post presence.

The trade finder brings up some interesting options (Z Bo) but I want to be more creative, save some money but still get a solid replacement.

Suggestions?

Is that a Knicks jersey in your avatar?

Camby's contract isn't that bad, besides he's a much better player than Mozgov. Don't like that trade at all.

I think you should go after Z-Bo if you really want a strong post presence. Personally I think a stretch PF like Josh Smith would fit better in the Knicks scheme.

I'm 8-1 in my 12 mins/quarter All-Star Sim-sliders Association with the Knicks. I only traded Camby and Thomas for Hawes and a pick. It's a joy to play with them and it's great that they don't have a great post player, so you have to focus a lot more on the perimeter game, which opens up the game a lot.

Carmelo rules. Averaging 32 points and 9 rebounds with him, and the best of all is that it comes down naturally, I don't force playing with him in any way. JR and Novak in the 3 pt line are welcome as well, and Chandler is a great defender.

what about taj gibson, millsap or al horford if possible? (just to throw out some names, I only play exhibition games w/ Hawks, Jazz or T-Wolves against Heat on HoF diff)

Is that a Knicks jersey in your avatar?

Camby's contract isn't that bad, besides he's a much better player than Mozgov. Don't like that trade at all.

I think you should go after Z-Bo if you really want a strong post presence. Personally I think a stretch PF like Josh Smith would fit better in the Knicks scheme.

The Af1's in my avatar are Rasheed's player exclusives.

A three year, $13m contract for a 38 year old back Center is crazy, he isn't as influential as Jason Kidd. Mogoz has a one year (unrestricted) contract worth $2.8m. I save money whilst remaining competitive in that position.

Ideally I want someone that I can go to in the post so that I can mix it up, especially when others aren't scoring and or I'm up against a team that has good perimeter defenders.

I'm leaning towards a completely different direction now - Anderson Varejao.

Gibson, Horford and Millsap aren't possible because they want key guys in return. I'm very tempted by Z Bo, I'll give Amare another game and then decide.

I agree about Melo, the guy so great to play with.

I'm leaning towards a completely different direction now - Anderson Varejao.

Last edited:
I'm 8-1 in my 12 mins/quarter All-Star Sim-sliders Association with the Knicks. I only traded Camby and Thomas for Hawes and a pick. It's a joy to play with them and it's great that they don't have a great post player, so you have to focus a lot more on the perimeter game, which opens up the game a lot.

Carmelo rules. Averaging 32 points and 9 rebounds with him, and the best of all is that it comes down naturally, I don't force playing with him in any way. JR and Novak in the 3 pt line are welcome as well, and Chandler is a great defender.

give me some tips on this game, im struggling

The most important thing in this game is learning defense. In the perimeter, just move to block your opponents drive, dont try to steal or anything else, just focus ondont let him drive in, by just moving the joystick. Use your body to drive him to the side.
You can use Strong deffense (L2) only if your opponent is cornered or if you are stronger and can push him. If not, he will go out of your strong deffense and drive in. That's why it's a matter of joystick first, just positioning yourself, and use L2 when things get crowded and there is a lot of contact.

If their perimeter guys go for the pick and roll or play A lot of screens, you have to anticipate and decide if you will go over or under the screen, depending on your opponent. If he's a great shooter, you wont like to go behind the screen, etc...

When the opponent start the shooting animation, dont go for the block, only block if you are quite certain you can do it, 90% of the time your goal is to make them do bad shots, not block them. So, just press and hold L2 and move towards him. This will difficult htheir shots inmensely. And make them miss is the key of this game. Dont get nervous, just hold L2 while they are shooting and you will make contact and reduce their accuracy, even in very close shots.

And 2 more key things, which are extremely important. First of all, activate the "always close down shots" or something like ,this in the control setup. You can revert it later when you have mastered deffense. This makes your teammates automatically "press L2" and difficult their shots even if you are not controlling them. It makes a big impact on deffense.

The other thing is to always set up your deffensive settings. Deciding if you sag off a player or play tight it's key. For instance you dont want to play tight someone who is faster or more agile than you. You have to concede a bit of space to anticipate his movements. I always put MODERATE pressure on-ball for quick guards, and only play tight the forwards who arent that quick and are good shooters. You can SAG OFF players like Deandre Jordan or bad shooters, but not Bargagni, for example.

It takes a while to get used to all this, but when you do, then the game changes completely and gets easier than previous versions.

In offense, just be creative. Do a mix of plays and pick and rolls, do in and out plays if you have great shooters out, attack the paint with oick and rolls if you have a team like Memphis, and master some killer Iso moves with your stars. For example, I have mastered 3 or 4 ways that make Melo win space to shoot. Extremely handy when you are in a bad run and need to score in the last quarter.

Finally, the, usual advices: dont run with a slow team, break a bad streak with time outs, if a player heats keep pounding with him, attack the paint if you have bigger guys, specially with post moves, learn to quickly detect mismatches in both ends of the pitch...

But the most importsnt thing is learning how to defend the perimeter and the drives to the paint.

Oh, I was forgetting rebounding... Once the opponent shot is being done, quickly release L2 if you werepressing it AND HOLD IT AGAIN while moving towards the ball. This will make your teammates box out the deffensive rebound. This is very important because controlling rebounds and the paint is key.

Last edited:
any piece of advice on dribbling moves?

And one more thing: in nba 2k11 when u call a play you had several option for each player. Now in 2k13 there is only one option for each player, is there a way to activate a play menu 2k11 like?

I have lots of plays for each player when I call plays! And I mean about 10 or 12 average for each. You can also assign playbooks to teams.

About dribbling moves, do the tutorials, the simple moves work wonders.

any piece of advice on dribbling moves?

And one more thing: in nba 2k11 when u call a play you had several option for each player. Now in 2k13 there is only one option for each player, is there a way to activate a play menu 2k11 like?

Some players have one page of plays, most have more than one, use :r2: to scroll through them.

If your doing Association its best to individually assign plays (I prefer to rearrange their play types instead) to players and then edit the teams playbook (if you using default sliders).

Drekk are you playing on custom all star sim sliders or default sim sliders?

I play default sim sliders with some minimal customization. On January I will start trying popular slider sets. Experience tells me it's best to invest some months on playing the game near to the defaults and then experiment with sliders once some sets are popular and heavily tone by user experience.

I only customize fouls (everything pretty high), reduce a bit shooting and up a little contact frequency and so.

Some players have one page of plays, most have more than one, use :r2: to scroll through them.

If your doing Association its best to individually assign plays (I prefer to rearrange their play types instead) to players and then edit the teams playbook (if you using default sliders).

This!

DmtXo.png

f'n finally beat this shit lol

u are not much of a mid range shooter are u?

anyone fancy kicking some usa teen agers on line today?

Last edited by a moderator:
actually I am much much better at shooting from outside than inside, don't remember it well right now but my three-point ratio should be well above 50% (around 55% I think). in that game I forced my chances too many times with Kirilenko and Love in the first half and don't know why but oddly failed so I changed the strategy (because I'm so fed up with losing due to the cheating ai - when I go crazy in the first half with 3's, Love and the other guys just end up sucking at finding a spot for 3 and ridiculously gets forced to go inside by ai all the time in the second). subsequently, Barea and Love stepped up a bit with 4 3's in the 4th and OT. in the end, I won the game thanks to a Kirilenko and-one with 3 secs remaining. and it gave me some chillz mate. I'm still feeling a bit shaky lol guess I'll retire on top :) f*ck you 2k ai!

damn, just looked at what you've written again and yes, I'm pretty bad at finding a good spot on mid-range. :D

Last edited:
I'll be available on Saturday for online.

I've been playing 2K for years and one trend that has always stayed the same is that I always shoot a high percentage but this is because I don't shoot enough. I think 2K10 was the only game where I shot a lot but that was also the only game where I truly played run n gun with PHX.

Even now with the Knicks, playing a much slower pace, I'm not getting enough shots.

Anyone else have any similar trends?

Back
Top Bottom