NBA 2K11 - G.O.A.T.

I've got a problem.
I'm playing an association and currently i'm just before New Year in my first season (decembre 27) abnd it seems i can't progress in the game.
Surely i must do something wrong, or is this a bug?

I've got a problem.
I'm playing an association and currently i'm just before New Year in my first season (decembre 27) abnd it seems i can't progress in the game.
Surely i must do something wrong, or is this a bug?

It gets hanged in the end of the first quarter? I think it's a bug, Gerd, you have to simulate the matches until you reach the All-star day.

Quite an ashaming bug, if you ask me. I thought they had solved it in the last patch?

They obviuously haven't and to be honest i don't see at the moment how i could simulate matches, i can't even progress to matches (but i will search this evening, now i'm at work...thanks for the answer any way drekkard).

Oh I just passed the new year on my association with no bugs :SS
Only thing I find strange is them sending players to D-League without my knowledge, took me a while to figure out Udoh was there and Lin disappeared, I can't find him anywhere.

I'm getting a bit tired of my player finally, think I'll start to try the online experiences, is there a evo-web league or crew?
Crew games must be fun if its like I'm thinking. Anyone knows if I can use my current my player or do I have to start a fresh one?

Just got this delivered today for pc. I'm almost embarrassed to have paid £13 for it! Absolutely out of this world presentation, it's just insanse how good it is.

Same old question... Why cant ea put this sort of love into FIFA?

Just played a quick game and all the tv presentation graphics has a 'celebration' feel to it and the introduced says "hope you are at home watching this broadcast today with loved ones as 2k brings you it's new year presentation of the nicks v the lakers". And during the game it made other references to new year.

The commentary this year is also incredible. So detailed and I was amazed at one point where they were talking about a new stadium being built, then cut away to go to the sideline reporter. After the report they said a couple of more unrelated things, then said "...but getting back to the stadium plans, it's really going to be incredible what they have planned..." etc. Was just seamless and amazingly realistic.

The gameplay is great too. I always struggle with NBA games as i don't really follow it, nor know the rules and subtleties 100% so I guess even more of the superb touches are lost on me a bit. I'd love to know how to pla it better.

Im off to have a look round YouTube for help!

I have completely the same feeling about this game as pboreham.
What a shame that i know virtually nothing about basket. I have the feeling that i'm only scratching at the surface of this immensely deep game.

In the long term the commentary gets repetitive, but it is still amazingly good...but you know how it is: i think i've heard 100 times that the Oklahoma Thunder train on an old skater rink...

Any tips for us BBall noobs?

I've tried watching some YouTube vids, but still struggling a bit. I guess I need to start watching the NBA to pick up gameplay and patterns etc.

One thing I have done, is set the plays to CPU controlled, so every now and again icons will pop up on the floor. I'm assuming the larger white circle is where the ball carrier needs to get too to 'trigger' the play??

Aside from that, seems to just be a lot of luck and mashing the ISO controls to make anything happen. Sometimes it looks spectacular when it comes off.

But one thing I always struggle with is 'how' to score. Its odd to explain - like do I always try to drive for the basket? Pass it around for an open shot? Try for 3 pointers etc?

Nothing 'feels' right, just like I'm passing it around for the sake of it, then finally get bored and take a shot?... not quite got this bit sorted in my head really...

First thing you need is to know your players, go to the box score ingame or if you are on the menus go to your roster and press R3 on your players.
That will give you an individual profile that you can change pages to see a diamond graphic, like the PES one.
I have not watched a NBA game for years too, so there were loads of players I didn't knew.
Knowing your player strenghts and your opponents weakness make a huge difference.
For example I used to struggle to mark John Wall, then I saw his 3pts is poor and I started to give him the 3, mark by a few steps back, and no more crossing overs and driving by me as easily as he did before, he barely takes 3s so I just stand there while he struggles to make a decision.
When the AI is not running as they expect, they will struggle.
Its like contest a shot whitout even doing it, anticipating their plays, their usual moves, you will see that they can run out of options and shot in the last second with a poor selection.

Same goes for offensive plays, thats why turning auto-plays on is great, otherwise they just stand behind their defenders unless you move around the court.
Once you stand on the circle it indicates and do what they ask, the AI will move and give you options, you don't even need to run the play perfectly, when they move, you icon pass to the best option.
You can also call for the bigmans to do a screen with L1, thats very useful.
Basically you need to make them move to take open shots.

There are some tips about icon passing, post moves etc on some posts back here in this thread too ;)

I mix all typesof plays in my games usually.

Regaridng plays, I have some shooting plays prepared for my jump shooters. Some inside plays for my center and forwards and some plays that I use to drive in. But some of these plays can be broken to reach a lonely player if it happens. I know some plays that will leave some players open probably, so if it happens, I quickly pass to them (use icon passing almost always!) to have the open shot.

But I use plays only 50% of the time. The rest of times, I force my way in, or I do an inside-out to have a lonely shooter from 3pts (those plays feel inmense) or I simply do pick & rolls.

And if anything fails miserably, I pass it to my star and force a shot.

And if your star is hot and is a good dribble with pace (like Rose, Wall, Rondo, Wade, Lebron, Kobe...), you want him to be isolated and play 1vs1.

That's how NBA teams play in reality. The goal is to have open shots. You will miss some, but if you happen to find open shots again and again, you will probably win the match. Of course, defenders get awareness of this, and progressively shut down your passing lanes, so that's why you need to vary your play a lot. Forcing turnovers and running the pitch on fastbreaks is also a good choice if your players are athletic. If you have a strong line-up, force the fouls and win easy free throws (considering your players are good at them, don't try that with O'neal!).

Really, it's a game in which you can do so many things... I've had completely different matches played in the same week. When my shooters are cold, I have to really use my brains to win the matches.

anywhere i can get this on the cheap?

Just got this delivered today for pc. I'm almost embarrassed to have paid £13 for it! Absolutely out of this world presentation, it's just insanse how good it is.

Same old question... Why cant ea put this sort of love into FIFA?

There's no need, they have enough of this:
money.jpg

Last edited:
The Knicks are very good from downtown you have loads of options for 3 pointers, if you manage some wins your players will grow a lot in the 1st season already, maybe in the off season you can sign a top SG or maybe Melo like they are speculating in real life, but your SFs are already top so I'd go for a SG.

You lads on the PS3 feel free to add me, I made the evo-webbers crew, maybe someone wanna try it, I play purely for the fun.

Had another go last night and felt much better. Still lost, but only by 8 (4 min quarters) - instead of 15+.

Worked the ball around better and only tried 3 pointers with the big shooters.

I traded Galliani a couple of days ago though! Oops! I've traded about 5 players in the squad and all are pony, so I may start over again.

The Knicks are very good from downtown you have loads of options for 3 pointers, if you manage some wins your players will grow a lot in the 1st season already, maybe in the off season you can sign a top SG or maybe Melo like they are speculating in real life, but your SFs are already top so I'd go for a SG.

You lads on the PS3 feel free to add me, I made the evo-webbers crew, maybe someone wanna try it, I play purely for the fun.

I'll join you next week.

Thanks guys.

I'm the Knicks at the moment, but I dont think they are very good!?

Run the pick and roll with Felton and Amare! If your successful the CPU will start to double Amare in the 2nd half. I'm pretty sure Amare rolls to the basket 90% of the time. Although, I can't be sure since I haven't played with the Knicks in a while. Some bigs won't roll to the basket though. They spot up for a shot.

My association with PHX is going well but I'm not enjoying it, it's mainly due to me making too many trades (:COAT:) and the team IRL stinking it up. I'm going to start again with a new team and only play with PHX in NBA Today (and online),

At the moment I'm leaning towards Memphis like Drekkard.

Now that I sucked everything from Memphis, I was planning starting a new one with the knicks, or even the oklahoma. But it's true that if you trade too much the "feeling" of the game goes away. It did to me when in my 2nd season I traded 3 or 4 grizzlies and suddenly I felt "disconnected" with the team.

If you take Memphis, have 3 point plays with Conley, drive in and post with gay (he usually is taller than his defender), and force fouls with Randolph and Gasol. But, take into account they are a little weak defending. Randolph is a beast but can't defend properly. So you need to score a lot to win the matches. Just like they do in real life.

I watched them yesterday against the Bulls, looking forward to have a good PF and C to play with again. I'll probably look for a scoring SG to replace Tony Allen, that way Mayo can stay on the bench and be the 6th man.

Mayo in the game is much better than himself in reality, so if you look to replace him or add someone to the team, look for a good defender, someone who can stop the big shooting guards you'll face. Mayo, against Kobe, Lebron, etc... comes too short deffensively.

And Xavier Henry is a great shooter. Overall, I think the Grizzlies are a bit overrated in the game, but it makes it fun to play with them.

I've traded Tony Allen and a 1st round pick (I know, I know) for Luc Mbah a Moute and Ersan Ilyasova. Mayo is back as starting SG with Henry backing him up and Mbah a Moute is an underrated defender.

I got my first win against Minnesota and went I got back to the title screen the Clippers offered me Eric Gordon and a 1st round pick for OJ Mayo (:BYE:) and 2nd round pick!

Last edited:
Ilyasova is a great shooter PF. It's great to take opponent PFs out of the paint, so you will easily isolate Randolph inside.

I've won the NBA title in My Player (Finals MVP too) as the No. 8 seed, we beat Atlanta in seven games. :BOP:

imag0139l.jpg

imag0136p.jpg

How's my ring taste LeBron?!

That poster was a kind of random thing at the end of the season or do you have any kind of control over that?

I haven't started a My player game yet. Usually I play Association to death the first months, now I'm with Jordan, and I'll play My Player in the summer, when the great titles are scarce and the sports titles itching starts again.

Back
Top Bottom