Motion Blur/Trail

ono5985

Championship
22 October 2009
Never notice this before but i've upgraded my monitor to a 1920 x 1080, 24 inch one, and i've noticed that when players move they leave a small trail behind them which disappears after around half a second.

The problem worsens with certain kits as the blur/trail is more notcieable on the brighter kits.

My monitor response time is 2ms so i doubt it's that and NBA 2K10 plays perfectly fine.

My graphics card is a HD 4890 and this is a problem that i couldn't really notice on my old monitor as it was smaller (19 inch) and the max resolution was 1440 x 900.

Anybody else got this problem and/or figured a way to reduce the effect of it? Cheers for any help. It's not a game-breaker but it's winding me up a little bit. Cheers.

i have a different problem but since you mentioned the high resolution you're playing o now the problem might be the same and i need a solution as well

before when i played on my 1152 x 864 the realism was more noticable and the gameplay was improved a whole lot more
the fps were higher as well
now with my 1680 x 1050
the game stutters more and i have lower fps
any ideas?

nvidia 8600 gt 512vram
2gb ram
win XP
intel core 2 duo 3.00 ghz

i have a different problem but since you mentioned the high resolution you're playing o now the problem might be the same and i need a solution as well

before when i played on my 1152 x 864 the realism was more noticable and the gameplay was improved a whole lot more
the fps were higher as well
now with my 1680 x 1050
the game stutters more and i have lower fps
any ideas?

nvidia 8600 gt 512vram
2gb ram
win XP
intel core 2 duo 3.00 ghz

Higher resolution requires better GFX card, running new games at high resolution on old computers will end up stuttering unless you got a freak-beast of an old computer. Your GFX card is outdated man, and you got very little ram.
Your CPU is fine, so i'd suggest a GeForce 260 (or better), 4 gigs of ram (a new set, throw away the old one) and you're set for about two-three more years of gaming with that computer. It's not really expensive either.

Never notice this before but i've upgraded my monitor to a 1920 x 1080, 24 inch one, and i've noticed that when players move they leave a small trail behind them which disappears after around half a second.

The problem worsens with certain kits as the blur/trail is more notcieable on the brighter kits.

My monitor response time is 2ms so i doubt it's that and NBA 2K10 plays perfectly fine.

My graphics card is a HD 4890 and this is a problem that i couldn't really notice on my old monitor as it was smaller (19 inch) and the max resolution was 1440 x 900.

Anybody else got this problem and/or figured a way to reduce the effect of it? Cheers for any help. It's not a game-breaker but it's winding me up a little bit. Cheers.

I believe that PES2010 is more detailed than NBA2k10, especially if you have fooled around with LOD settings in kitserver.
Radeon cards are great when it comes to performance, when they actually work that is, but they are also prone to burn because they become too warm. Make sure you got enough power connected to your GFX card, and if possible add another fan to blow cool air straight at the card, and another fan to suck warm air out near the card. If you have already done this, then I have no idea.

Last edited:
Higher resolution requires better GFX card, running new games at high resolution on old computers will end up stuttering unless you got a freak-beast of an old computer. Your GFX card is outdated man, and you got very little ram.
Your CPU is fine, so i'd suggest a GeForce 260 (or better), 4 gigs of ram (a new set, throw away the old one) and you're set for about two-three more years of gaming with that computer. It's not really expensive either.

I believe that PES2010 is more detailed than NBA2k10, especially if you have fooled around with LOD settings in kitserver.
Radeon cards are great when it comes to performance, when they actually work that is, but they are also prone to burn because they become too warm. Make sure you got enough power connected to your GFX card, and if possible add another fan to blow cool air straight at the card, and another fan to suck warm air out near the card. If you have already done this, then I have no idea.

My PSU is corsair 650watt and i have 2 coolers set up as above. weird. I've got used to it now anyway.
One thing i have noticed in certain stadiums is the fact that when there is a lot of movement some really faint lines appear on the screen. They don't slow the gameplay down and aren't apparent in all stadiums. It's noticeable when playing at the Nou Camp and San Siro which is strange. Am i experiencing what you would call 'tearing'? and if so, is there anything i can do to fix it.

Thanks for your help mate, it's greatly appreciated.

can XP handle and manage the gbs of ram or would i need to update to window7 (i hate formating since i'm a freelance artist i'd lose a lot of work since im running out of space on my HDD and i'm still struggling for a mac)
as for the graphics card i recognize i'd need one but that would imply a new motherboard correct?
if so wouldnt it be cheaper just to get a new comp
:XD:

Problem for pes 2010 is that is doesing support crossfire. I would have all my lod settings maxed out with my 4870x2. i forced to use only one of my cards though meaning i get jerking sometimes with max lod settings. And yes i seem to get a motion trail and blurry on pes2010 at 1920x1080. the ball and stuff tends to shadow alittle bit.

can XP handle and manage the gbs of ram or would i need to update to window7 (i hate formating since i'm a freelance artist i'd lose a lot of work since im running out of space on my HDD and i'm still struggling for a mac)
as for the graphics card i recognize i'd need one but that would imply a new motherboard correct?
if so wouldnt it be cheaper just to get a new comp
:XD:

Sorry for late reply, I am not a regular on these forums.

I would suggest getting Win7 asap, XP can't handle more than 2 gig unless you run x64 bit and a heap of addons (I believe) and this would still be a poor solution.

If you got a external HDD, just move your artistry onto that drive and format your main drive. Win7 x64 Ultimate took me roughly 20 minutes to install.

My backup computer is a geForce 8 GTX, dual core 2.8ghz and 4 gig ram, it can not handle 1920x1080 gameplay with any fancy graphics settings. And I noticed this funny effect in PES that you mention. A lower resolution fixed the problem, but a LCD monitor displaying out of it's native resolution makes the image blurry by itself, so maybe it's just harder to notice it.

At last, if you decide to go for a new computer rather than going MacGyver on the old one, I'd suggest keeping it intact and keep using it for your work. Use the new one for gaming until you find the time and effort to transfer the essential files.
I don't know how computer prices are in your country in relation to income, but in Norway a brand new "next best on the market" (literally) cost no more than I can afford, being without income at the moment.

Whatever you do, best of luck.

Sorry for late reply, I am not a regular on these forums.

I would suggest getting Win7 asap, XP can't handle more than 2 gig unless you run x64 bit and a heap of addons (I believe) and this would still be a poor solution.

If you got a external HDD, just move your artistry onto that drive and format your main drive. Win7 x64 Ultimate took me roughly 20 minutes to install.

My backup computer is a geForce 8 GTX, dual core 2.8ghz and 4 gig ram, it can not handle 1920x1080 gameplay with any fancy graphics settings. And I noticed this funny effect in PES that you mention. A lower resolution fixed the problem, but a LCD monitor displaying out of it's native resolution makes the image blurry by itself, so maybe it's just harder to notice it.

At last, if you decide to go for a new computer rather than going MacGyver on the old one, I'd suggest keeping it intact and keep using it for your work. Use the new one for gaming until you find the time and effort to transfer the essential files.
I don't know how computer prices are in your country in relation to income, but in Norway a brand new "next best on the market" (literally) cost no more than I can afford, being without income at the moment.

Whatever you do, best of luck.

thanks mae
actually i only have a slight stuttering in-game
but from what i checked i definitely need an upgrade
macgyver seems to be the most reasonable one
a brand new pc is over 1000€ and i cant afford that
not for now that it and the minimum wager here is half that price

so MacGyver seems to be the best for now since i want to be able to play Assassins Creed 2
so my list definitely includes 4gb ram, Assasins Creed 2 and a 1tb hdd
i might get some of these pretty soon

thanks
ill need it

Back
Top Bottom