ModNation Racers (ps3)

I find it's rubber band AI who also seem have weapons that only aim at you and avoid the other ai players.

That bugs me too.

There's no way a building a decent lead, on the rare occasion that I have have one, when I make a tiny mistake the rest of the pack instantly catch up.

I think I'll wait for a drop in price after reading a bit more on it. Maybe £25 or so. I can't see it staying at £40 for long.

That bugs me too.

There's no way a building a decent lead, on the rare occasion that I have have one, when I make a tiny mistake the rest of the pack instantly catch up.

Yeah I was trying to do a career race where you have to finish first, get so many drift point and take someone out while finishing first. Shadow I think their name was,

About 5 times I was in first and would be about halfway into my last lap when suddenly a weapon would be fired. So I'd use my shield... block it but then almost instantly after that and with no shield left, I'd get hit with some other weapon. So I Re spawn... AND THEN GET HIT WITH SOMETHING ELSE OR GET SLAMMED INTO AND STALLED :RANT:

I'm shit at racing games though. I can just about handle the easiest setting bots and have a LOT of fun racing with them. Anything higher and it's just too much for me. Ganging up, rubber banding, AI racers who boost off into the distance have a perfect lap and are never seen again.

Online is a mixed bunch. When you're in with like skilled people it's awesome... no lag, anyone can win and you don't get ganging up as often and when it does happen you know it's because the players have done it by accident more than they cheated to avoid each other and only take you out.

But I keep finding some high ranked bastard will join us and then just completely shit on everyone over and over while boasting after each race how awesome they are.

I'm probably just going to stick to private games with the easiest bots as I find even easy bots can give you a bloody good run for your money when you combine that with how friends love to take each other out more than take out bots. It ends up being the perfect difficulty.

--

I need to create some tracks though and start making some real mods. I knocked my own car and character up as soon as the game was ready to play and they're rubbish. And I've not touched the track creator as I was wanting to unlock as many items as I could before starting. The difficult part is I have some good ideas (imo) for like set pieces or certain like landmark areas. Like a jump over a a river or like a jump in the middle of a bit of track but to either side breadcrumb short cuts with weapons so you can either get the boost jump or weapons.
But I struggle when it comes to planning out how to build a track around them. I keep going into the editor and as soon as I start moving the track around I just lose it.

@ Rad,

Found that website, handy. However I meant to pics you posted earlier in the thread. Taken directly from the mod create station

Oh... when you're in the create mode it lets you take pics and save them direct to your HDD. I think if you go into the create menus and then move round to say your character. It's either an option along with 'choose mod' and 'create mod' and 'edit mod' or its an option within create or edit.

the same goes for cars and tracks you can take a pic of while in the creation part - you take a pic there to use as your thumbnail

You think rubber-banding is bad on this? Don't go anywhere near Blur then.

Tbh I think these games need it. The level at which is should be is debatable but the games are about fighting each other and having players being able to just speed off is dull, both when it's yourself speeding off or someone else/ai.

But then I don't think you should even bother with single player for these games (only to get the edit options for this one).

You think rubber-banding is bad on this? Don't go anywhere near Blur then.

Strikes Blur off hit list, cheers.

Single player is needed because it unlocks more creation tools.

Rubber band logic is putting me off this one. I totally hate it. If I drive better, I don't want people to be near me without a reasonm, and if I am bad, I prefer to be far form the first place.

Rubber band logic is only and excuse for poor ai. You could have different levels of opponents, better and worse overall, but modifying it's "skill" to always suit yours sound "primitive" to me, and I was waiting for this game. Plus, it's comfortable to play it on a split screen with someone else?

Played it with the GF the other day and splitscreen was good imo.
Also the rubberbanding is in the AI for singleplayer. Not sure how it effects bots online though.
I think the only way it works online with players is that if youre last you sometimes get a warp powerup. But even then you need to load it up to level 3 and that only put me behind the guy infront of me when I used it. I was pretty far off the pace.

I'm around with my mate to join in with some games anytime from now for a couple of hours probably.

Against humans, it's a very good game :) Haven't really played against the AI properly yet apart from the very first intro race, but love the course design and the weapons are fun.

Also love the downloads and grabbed a few. Currently riding as Spiderman in the Jurassic Park buggy :)

Edit: No headset tonight by the way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My girlfriend has just created a pretty difficult track and would welcome comments and suggestions. Her username is "sarahjolly" and she'd appreciate the download :TU:

Tik, I just set a lap record on your Camels Back course in time trial ;)

My girlfriend has just created a pretty difficult track and would welcome comments and suggestions. Her username is "sarahjolly" and she'd appreciate the download :TU:

Is this worth a purchase then Dags?

£40? Not sure on that level as there's games that I'd rather pay £40 for. But if you're going to be playing local or online multiplayer often enough, I guess it'd pay for itself.

I'm enjoying the weapons, the course designs are very good, the mods are superb and it's a lot of fun to play. It definately needs the patch to fix the horrendous loading times though, it does take away a lot of the buzz and excitement during a party when you have to wait for the next race.

If you like kart games, it's a must-buy really :)

Good job Dags,

Guess I'll have to try and beat you! Do you like the track?

As for the loading time, I'm waiting for them to allo wmore players in one modspot as it's still far too empty for online games. Managed quite a few 6-7 player races today which were a lot of fun. It's just a shame everyone seems to stick to casual instead of just doing xp. I assume that's because you can pick the created tracks aswell, guess they should just allow that for xp games aswell.

Yeah, I thought the track was pretty good and fun for a time trial. Haven't tried a race with weapons etc yet though :)

This is what I made for Jay, The Groomer:

Cant get the image to load.......phhhhh. You can see it in my creations now, I published it.

Re Track;

I prefer the more racing orientated ones rather then the jum and fires and demolishers etc. It was good today in the races, had enough weapon actions going on so it seems pretty balanced. I downloaded a track from some random I raced and they had set up boosted jumps that would actually shoot you off the track, hahaha.

Last edited:
Managed to race rad's girl today........atleast I think it's his gf. It's one of them from here.

It's not a track Jay, it's a mod. I think you will like it!

I've just done a few laps in time trial, good track, the tree's took me by surprise though. I was in the middle of a continuous drift then BANG!

I've just done a few laps in time trial, good track, the tree's took me by surprise though. I was in the middle of a continuous drift then BANG!

:LOL:

Thanks for the comments mate :)

Back
Top Bottom