Mighty Greece crumbling down

Have to disagree Mauras, if a team deserved to beat Greece with good football, they would have. Simply no one played good enough football to beat them. The way to continue is not to get rid of Greece's style, but to improve your own.

grav3digg3r said:
Stasman said:
A great point by Gerd there, if we are as poor as everyone (well, the Portuguese sour losers) say, then what does that make the teams we beat?

Using htat line of Thought , Portugal should have been already World Champion 5 times and a bunch more Euro Champions. Less than a year ago we beat Brazil 2-1. :roll:

IK don't think you get it my friend. Portugal never can be WC because they never played good in WC's (apart from 1966 that is).
My point was that Greece was good when it mattered: in a major tournament.

And Mauras, in the World Soccer edition after the EC, al their pundits agreed that Greece deserved to win it...

It's a good thing that a relatively poor club like Porte can win the CL and it's as good that underdogs like Greece can win the EC.

It's a shame that you guys are bad loosers.

ClassicD said:
Have to disagree Mauras, if a team deserved to beat Greece with good football, they would have. Simply no one played good enough football to beat them. The way to continue is not to get rid of Greece's style, but to improve your own.

exactly... or you gonna ask the greek team "hey guys change your style of play, cuz i cant beat it.." nah.. u gotta improve r own. and like everyone else, u sound like a bad loser.

ahhhh let's all feel really sorry for Portugal because they lost Euro 2004

pffft re-name this thread Sore-Losers Thread

Euro 2004 was 3 months ago but your both still bitter Portugal fan's get over it gravedigger and Maurus it happened you lost Greece won

ClassicD said:
Yep. The Czechs were nearly good enough, but apart from that no attack-orientated team was up to it. No team at Euro 2004 was much cop, really - although that's not taking anything away from Greece's achievement.

dammit, i am writing wrong?
i said and i repeat greece won fair and square... and they won by scoring goals, all that is needed in footie... i just say that i hate the type of football...

.game over.

Last edited:
Yeh, this is the thread where all the portuguese losers moan about their crappy team not beating a bunch of amateurs who are bench-players for Europe's more 'average' clubs. Bit hard to take, boys?

grav3digg3r said:
dammit, i am writing wrong?
i said and i repeat greece won fair and square... and they won by scoring goals, all that is needed in footie... i just say that i hate the type of football...

.game over.
I hear you, I accept what you say because it's exactly the way I feel too. I think people are talking more about Mauras' opinion that the style of football Greece play should be stopped.

Stasman said:
Yeh, this is the thread where all the portuguese losers moan about their crappy team not beating a bunch of amateurs who are bench-players for Europe's more 'average' clubs. Bit hard to take, boys?

I wont moan 'cause my crappy team beat Spain, England and Holland.

ClassicD said:
I hear you, I accept what you say because it's exactly the way I feel too. I think people are talking more about Mauras' opinion that the style of football Greece play should be stopped.

Thank You ClassicD, some1 finally understands me! :)

That style of play has been played for years, so why the big hoo-hah now? And the only ones who seem to be complaining about it are the Portuguese... hmmmmmmmmm

1. It's not just the Portuguese ;)

2. Maybe there's some hoo-hah due to the fact that certain Greeks who previously knew nothing about fooball think they are the best team in the world?

I agree with grav3digg3r.

I prefer watching nice football than catenaccio. It's not against Greece, it's against the teams in general with this style of play. This is why I don't enjoy watching my team really. :P

So you see, not only Portuguese are moaning, it's the default football fan, who wants to see nice attacking, offensive football.

Zygalski said:
1. It's not just the Portuguese ;)

2. Maybe there's some hoo-hah due to the fact that certain Greeks who previously knew nothing about fooball think they are the best team in the world?

Was that second one aimed at me? Who said they were the best in the world? What are you on about? I think i know more about football than most people in here, who say 'if a match is 0-0 i'm not watching it'. What a load of bollocks. You don't even know me so how can you say i know nothing about football?

Put it this way, we have a big silver trophy to back our boasts up with, Portugal don't.

Last edited:
kEL said:
I agree with grav3digg3r.

I prefer watching nice football than catenaccio. It's not against Greece, it's against the teams in general with this style of play. This is why I don't enjoy watching my team really. :P

So you see, not only Portuguese are moaning, it's the default football fan, who wants to see nice attacking, offensive football.

I understand this... but what has this to do with Greece crumbling down? Thats what the thread is about, isn't it? Why was this thread made? Because a few Portuegese fans are still bitter.

Well as a Greek I have to admit it. We are famous for driving scooters with gears, drunk, talking to the mobile, smoking and without wearing a helmet rather than playing quality football.

grav3digg3r said:
WTF? :shock:

grav3digg3r I mean that Greece never had a world class football team. This year we just won the Euro because of the passion of our players. They were very thirsty for success and they showed it. For first time in my life I was watching our two strikers defending back at our goal line. I was also watching our 30+ years old midfielders running unstoppable all the 90 minutes of the game ( in comparison to world class players like Figo and Deco waiting for the ball and defending with the eyes). I am sure that if you had 11 young players like Ronaldo you were going to win it, but...

Anyway I don't think that many of the Greeks believe that we are the best team in Europe, we are just the last champions.

lol, ok :)
u wrote that i was confused, didn't know what u where u talking about if football or anything! :p
About Figo, i don't know any player who his more thirsty of victories and gives out it's best every match... things just didn't work out!
;)
peace

guys, dont you realize that the real offensive football is on the way to die?

greece is only an example.

15-20 years ago the clubs hadnt too much too lose.

now there are a lot of fators.

money, image and all the other things.

so, dont expect great and offensive football in the future.

and the worst thing is that other teams will make the same like greece in the future because they see its a successful way to win.

UNFORTUNATELY!

Guys Greek football is in good position.Look at the current scores.Panathinaikos won in champions league,olympiakos a draw with Lacoruna,Aek Athens will surelly proceed to the uefa cup groups!
What else do you want for proof.We are one of the best 7 countries in Europe.Admit it.It is the reality.Right?

polakis said:
So mighty Greece is down??????
Where are you Liverpool i cant see you..........
All that you are saying is bull....it.............

ela re thirio
tous skisame!

what are you all saying now! HA! 8)

john_shadow4 said:
ela re thirio
tous skisame!

what are you all saying now! HA! 8)

i'm saying your a fool because i'm pretty sure were talking about national sides and there are no liverpool fans posting in this thread

Oh, what is going on here? Many fans of BRAZILIAN (and only) football here...Could you please tell me where was England after scored a goal against Portugal? Oh, I think ALL the team was behind the ball. What ? Don't you remember?...Shame on you Mr.Eriksson! you destroy football... Guys keep cool...

competitive football is all about winning matches.

If boring tactics are helping you win matches on a regular basis, then you keep playing that way.

Greece are still hoping their defensive style of play in Euro 2004 would carry them through the qualifiers.

grece don't has the talent, the can only defend they don't have the skill to control a game, they can only loss and loss

Hereby I'd like to congratulate the Greek people with their victory at the EC 2004. I also fully understand the Portuguese opinions about the whole matter. One has won, one has lost, it's simple. The tourney was in your homecountry my Portuguese friends, which makes it extra hard (I'm from Holland, I know all about it).

For the Greek people, this was something like Holland winning the World Championships basketball. Something you never thought would happen. Therefor you have all the right to cheer as long as you want. I heard some people are still driving their scooters through Athens, which is good as long as people don't fight.

Football is supposed to be a sport that brings the world together. It makes me sad when I see hooligans destroying the sport we all love so much. It also makes me sad when people get into fights just because they support a different team. I sometimes cry myself into sleep at night when I think of all the babies, the mothers and the fathers who are still so innocent, but yet you can see they're scarred. Scarred by a sport we all love so much.

Now the story repeats itself on this forum. People don't seem to grant each other a single thing. We have guys from Portugal, frustrated (which I understand) and we have overly happy Greeks (which I also understand). When reality comes in, you both have to admit it's useless to behave like this. Why can't we all be very happy for the Greek people? Why can't we just all buy a ticket to Greece and jump on a scooter to drive laps around the Akropolis? Why do we have to act like this all the time?

If we take a close look at Greek and Portuguese history, we see a lot of things. But that's not important right now. I've enjoyed the tourney in Portugal so much. I was with friends and we just had a great time! We've watched so many games and once we were eliminated we cheered for the other teams. We yelled "ole ole ole Poborsky" and we jumped up in the air when Charisteas scored.

I have shirts of the following countries just to show how I enjoy the sport in general:

Macedonia
Romania
Czech Republic
Holland
Brazil
England
Wales
Germany
France
Iran ('72)
Argentina
Peru
Panama
United States
Mexico
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Oman ('84)
Nigeria
Cameroon
Ireland
Andorra

On top of that i have many club shirts as well. I won't name them, but I can assure you there's more than 400 shirts in my locker. I also like to watch clubfootball and I have an opinion on the current position of Greek clubfootball, but I won't tell it. There's also so many things I'd like to say about Portuguese football, but I won't do that as well.

Conclusion: football unites people, connects the poor with the rich, it bonds races and it creates love. Because I love the sport so much, I've written a poem about it:

"Oh ball, floating from goal to goal
You never lie
You never cheat
You are always right
Dear ball, dear ball

Once you hit the net
With a screaming pace
You take a rest
For just a short moment

I want to pick you up
Dear ball, dear ball
But I can't