Mercenaries 2 Xbox 360, PS3

Saw the review on PlayR this morning - they gave it 7/10 and said it is the greatest RENTAL game of all time.

Not worth buying because it's very very easy and you'll finish it in days - but worth a rental.

They failed to mention bugs/ glitches but the funny thing was right at the start of the review you could see a bug - there was an ai car in the distance driving down and suddenly it sprang up into the air vertically so it was on its rear end and then after a bit it fell forward and continued on as normal.

They failed to mention bugs/ glitches but the funny thing was right at the start of the review you could see a bug - there was an ai car in the distance driving down and suddenly it sprang up into the air vertically so it was on its rear end and then after a bit it fell forward and continued on as normal.

Yup saw that, I rewound Plus and looked again, it just sprung up into the air and then down and up once more before coming down and driving off. I think I might pick it up a couple of weeks later when people have played through it and are looking rid, it happened with MGS4, GTAIV and even Soul Caliber IV.

I bought this last Friday while I picked up Spore. I thought I better get something for myself as the GF was gagging for Spore after seeing me on it :DOH:. Plus I had a credit note so it didn't cost me any real money so I was alright if it was nothing more than a PS2 game pushed onto next gen.

To get to the main points - it's an alright game but it has some gigantic flaws and problems.

1 - AI who can wall hack! Seriously they know exactly where you are behind walls at all times. you pop your head out round a corner and fire off two shots... turn around and run around to the other side of the building and they'll not only be ready for you aiming their guns but they'll have fired rockets or grenades at you before you even pop out to intercept you as you step out.

Which leads into...

2 - The AI are amazingly accurate and will aim ahead of where you're running with rockets/bullets/grenades to intercept you all of the time - Not really a flaw... but it's a design problem when you see that you have 6 rocket soldiers, 5 machine gunners, 2 choppers and 2 tanks all aiming at you - who can all see you through the walls. I seem to be dying a hell of a lot. There should have been some level system where the grunts were shit shots but elite men were better.

Which leads into...

3 - When you die you lose your weapons and ammo and get sent usually miles away from where you were to your default base where you then have to drive for 10 minutes (real time) to get back to where you wanted to be. Then you have to call in some supply drops - but you can't pick and choose what ammo/weapons you want in 1 pack - you have to call in a few support drops to get exactly what you're after. so if you want a sniper C4 and rocket launcher you're looking at 3-4 support drops with a wait time of about 30 seconds between each drop as the chopper is 'busy' after each drop.

4 - The world in the game is big - but it's very sparse in terms of things to do. There are the targets like in the first game where you kill or subdue a target and then get money for capturing/killing them. Not as well done as the pack of cards from the first game but basically the same thing. Then there is the variation on this of buildings you have to take out. They're fun to do but this isn't supposed to be the main fun part of the game, and yet it is because they're always grouped up together or at least near enough so you're not bored by the time you get to the next one.

5 - A lot of the support items like artillery are impressive. but the fact you have to throw a smoke to call them in means you'll only really use them to destroy buildings when everyone is dead - which is a bit crap. You want to use them on a base before you storm in and clean up but the only way so far for myself to do anything like that is to run into the base and drop smoke beacons. Especially annoying when the anti tank strikes require you throw the smoke near the tanks - but if you're stood by the tank it's always the better and cheaper choice to just hijack the tank yourself! Doesn't make sense though I assume later on you unlock the satellite style strikes where you use the overhead view to direct the centre of the strikes.

6 - Aiming controls. Bullets miss targets a lot - you can have your cross-hairs on someone and still miss 9/10 bullets if they're just a step too far away. At other times you press the button to aim down the gun (which locks you onto a target at times if they're close enough and helps your accuracy/aim at targets far away ) - when suddenly the view will spin around and you'll be locked onto an enemy behind you or to the side behind a wall messing up your aim. Combined with the slow turning circle when you're using the down the gun view, it's painful.

7 - PlayR: Perfect Rental title. And I'd have to agree. The game looks like it's going to be very very short and the only reason it will take you a while to complete is because everything is spread apart from each other. I barely loaded the game up and moved forward and I had completed something stupid like 14% of the game. Honestly I think I had done 1 mission, a few side missions (the targets) and 4 training exercises and I had completed 25 ish %.

--

Apart from those annoyances the rest of the game is fun. Completing missions unlock new supply options for you to buy so you always have something to do and a reward for it (until you've completed everything) - Sometimes it will be a new vehicle the next a new air strike or chopper attack the next some supplies or expanded fuel capacity for your planes/chopper support drops.
There are loads of supplies lay around the map - running over to them and placing a beacon on them and then calling for a pick up gives you whatever you tagged. As you do this you use up fuel and therefore have to call in pick ups on fuel tanks or picking it up yourself from destroyed vehicles (though it seems pretty random if they appear after you blow a vehicle up).

Destruction seems a little off after playing Battlefield BC - which is something I did fear would happen. It's not last gen style where every building is perfect until you take its health bar down (though they do have health bars) buildings crumble apart in pieces as you hit them with rockets so the first 2 rockets might send the side of the building crashing down and then you need another rocket to take the other side down - or the front of the building will fall down revealing the insides. But still ... it just doesn't feel as right as it does on the BF game. It sounds better than it is in the game.

Handling of vehicles are laggy. You press left... it moves left a second later. You'll get used to it... but it won't ever become natural to you.

My main problem is the size of the world and how missions are spaced far apart so like the 'Just Cause' game - you find yourself having to trek around to do something which takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Die and you have to trek all over again! But once you're in the thick of the action it's alright.
It's an alright game - 6 or 7 out of 10 I'd say. I'm not sure how fun the online co op mode is though. I've heard it makes the game a lot better but someone else will have to confirm or deny that.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite enjoying playing this. It does seem really short though as Rad says. Only had it yesterday and I'm about 50% already.

I like this game, it has some issues but overall I think it's good fun and a lot like the first one.

My biggest issues are Fiona constantly banging in your ear about coming to see her if you're lost. You could have just taken down an HVT and she'll ask if you're lost! FFS SHUT UP!

Also as mentioned the fact that you can't use stealth anymore, in the first one Mui (and to a lesser extent Jacobs then Nillson) could sneak up behind people ,if unseen, and deliver a killing blow.

I was even able to extract HVT's like that without firing a shot. No chance of that in this one which seems a step backwards IMO.

Also a minor one is the fact that you can't order soldiers out of the vehicle or just get out yourself and leave them as cover.

Other that those few issues I think it's excellent and multiplayer even better.

Electronic Arts has announced that a free Mercenaries 2: World in Flames content pack - Total Payback - will come trundling onto PlayStation Network on October 20.

The update includes six new playable characters to bolster the original trio. Four of the newcomers have names and faces - Blanco, Fiona, Ewan and Eva - but the identities of the remaining two are secret. We're betting one of them is Jack Thompson. Also featured are some tasty cheats such as infinite health and ammo, weapon and vehicle unlocks.

You can expect a second content pack in November, though EA hasn't announced this one as a freebie. Regrettably, the Xbox 360 version will be getting its Total Payback update first on October 13.

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is the current generation sequel to one of the pioneers of the open-world action genre. Set in a wartorn Venezuela, it casts the player as a lone killer-for-hire out to obliterate the businessman who double-crossed him. Explosions are plentiful.

http://www.psu.com/Free-Mercenaries-2-DLC-this-month--a0004961-p0.php

The update is available for PS3 (360 slated as early Nov!) start the game and you will be prompted to DL the update.

It includes cheats, new skins for the characters and trophy's (for all the trophy ho's). Plus fixes for some of the bugs.

Here are the cheats:

Activate the PDA while in game and input the cheat activation code:

L2, R2, R2, L2, R2, L2, L2, R2, R2, R2, L2

After doing this, exit the PDA and accept the message that pops up.

Then enter the PDA again, and input the codes you want, as follows:

Invincibility: Up, Down, Left, Down, Right, Right

Infinite Ammo: Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Left

All Vehicles: Up, Down, Left, Right, Right, Left

All Supplies: Left, Right, Right, Left, Up, Up, Left, Up

All Airstrikes (except Nuke): Right, Left, Down, Up, Right, Left, Down, Up

Nuke: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right

Fill Fuel: Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down

All Costumes: Up, Right, Down, Left, Up

Grappling Hook: Up, Left, Down, Right, Up

Enjoy.

Back