1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Max Payne 3

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by aitken, 25 March 2009.

1. aitken

aitken International

29 July 2007
    Glasgow
    Manchester United
    Rockstar's Vancouver studio takes over from Remedy for third outing of ex-NYPD vigilante.

For fans of Max Payne, it has been a long wait since 2003 when the last game in the franchise was released to critical acclaim. Talk of a sequel came in 2004, when Take-Two hinted that a follow-up would eventually arrive. Fast-forward to 2008, and Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick once again mentioned the franchise, teasing that another installment may be in the works but again providing no firm details.

Today, Take-Two and its Rockstar Games subsidiary have announced that Max Payne 3 is indeed in development and is penned for a winter 2009 release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The game is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, the same outfit behind the controversial sandbox action adventure Bully. Finnish outfit Remedy, which developed the first two Max Payne titles, is currently developing Alan Wake, which will be published by Microsoft.

Rockstar Vancouver will apparently not be straying far from Remedy's original formula, however, as Max Payne 3 again sees the titular retired NYPD veteran battling internal demons as well as those that plague the city's streets.

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," commented Rockstar cofounder Sam Houser in a statement. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Rockstar did not delve into specific gameplay details, and did not mention the series' genre-defining "bullet time" slow-motion technique. The publisher merely noted that "the latest installment delivers more of the classic elements and hyperintense action that fans have come to love."

When Max Payne 3 rolls around this winter, it may find itself on shakier legs than when it left off six years ago. In October, the franchise saw its first transition to the silver screen. And while the Mark Wahlberg-led action flick pulled in healthy opening-week revenues, critics were all too eager to redub the film "Maximum Payneful" (an actual quote).

2. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    I guess Take2 owned the IP and took it off Remedy permanently? Shame, the first two on PC were ground breaking games, as good as PC TPS have ever been.

At least Remedy are still working on Alan Wake :)

3. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    I think Alan Wake has fucking killed em.

4. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
  5. mjsmith2k

mjsmith2k Come on you Reds!

5 November 2005
    Nottingham
    Forest, Bulls, Patriots
    Looks like another Kane and Lynch...

6. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    I have faith.

7. Bailzebub

Bailzebub ''shooto miss''

25 October 2001
    Lancashire
    Same.

Keep the gameplay tight and make him a veteran like John Maclaine in the last two films and that's a good start.

8. pepper63

pepper63 Nice N Sleazy

19 May 2005
    Your Sisters Bedroom
    Only One Man Utd.
    fixed.

9. sauce

sauce Warriors

20 September 2005
    Chatbox, Brazil
    Cruzeiro
    This is lookin' good!

10. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Has anyone tried the first two off xbox live? I'm pretty tempted.

11. pes4lyfe

pes4lyfe Champions League

4 July 2011
    favelas at night?

12. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Looking forward to this.

13. ieyan

ieyan League 1

2 September 2009
  14. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Thanks.

15. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Can't wait to use Walter White.

16. pepper63

pepper63 Nice N Sleazy

19 May 2005
    Your Sisters Bedroom
    Only One Man Utd.
    Demo?

17. pepper63

pepper63 Nice N Sleazy

19 May 2005
    Your Sisters Bedroom
    Only One Man Utd.
    Delayed until end of May2012

18. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Guess that's a good thing, they tend to only delay their games for solid reasons ie it needed a little more spit and shine.

19. Joe

Joe International

9 August 2004
    Ha! Shame there is no like button

20. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    I won't buy it until I know how long the SP lasts.

21. spektarm

spektarm Premier League

6 October 2006
    Manchester United
    Yeah, at first sight it looks marvelous, but as Placebo mentioned, a 6-7 hour campaign could be a potential deal-breaker. The other problem that might occur is the possible repetitiveness of the gameplay - kill-the-bad-guys-esque. Hopefully all the animations, locations, AI, etc. will make up for a worthy and long-lasting experience.

22. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Looks brilliant

23. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Don't get how people can complain about a 6-7 hour campaign either

You pay £35-40 for a game and get 6-7 hours when a Bluray film costs £10-15 and you get 1 1/2-2 hours with no interaction in it

24. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    6-7 hour campaign is one evening's gaming, I don't pay £35 to get one evening's entertainment.

25. spektarm

spektarm Premier League

6 October 2006
    Manchester United
    It gets even harder to believe that they're gonna make a longer lasting game when you look at the past 2 titles of the Max Payne series,
    which both seemed to be between about 7-10 hours each, depending on how you play.

Oh I miss the times when games used to be 20-30 hours long...

26. pepper63

pepper63 Nice N Sleazy

19 May 2005
    Your Sisters Bedroom
    Only One Man Utd.
    Got it at Tesco midnight release, fucking AMAZING!

27. CalcioCalabrese

CalcioCalabrese Weekend warrior

29 November 2010
    Australia
    Adelaide United
    Over the space of 6 hours, evening would turn into night :P

But if you guys are finishing a game in one night, can't you go back and trade it in the next day. In theory, you're not paying full price, but maybe half price, given the trade in value.

Personally, outside of a football game, I can't play other games for more than a couple of hours at a time. A 6 hour single player campaign would take me longer and then there's the fact that I won't pass every mission first go.

Having said that, I do like games that have more depth and can go a fair few hours in single player. Even if there's a story mode of 6-7 hours but then more side missions to last a few more hours/achievements.

I have a few games to finish first but this one sounds like it's worth playing at some point.

28. tuta

tuta Marseillais

21 November 2004
    France
    Marseille
    It took me approximately 5 hours to reached the half of the game on hard.
    Most of the time is me dying and trying to survive longer the next time but it's part of the game.
    A great game so far, the story is captivating.

29. Disqo

Disqo Championship

25 June 2002
    wow, I can't remember the last time I completed a game in one evening.