Mass Effect

Anyone completed the Feros planet yet?

I've just knocked out all of the colonists and activated the crane, but got NO idea where to go to get into the Thorian Lair? I've looked all around Zhu's Hope for some hole in the ground which it looked like happened on the video, but nothing :( Help!

Starting to grate now. Sorry, I don't hate every game and I'm getting a bit pissed off with the guys who say that to be honest - I love FIFA 08, CoD4, Orange Box, Stranglehold, PGR4, Forza 2 - so no, I don't hate every game, I just don't have time for average ones. This game is getting annoying.

So many times I want to shoot back by zooming in and I can't because my health is too low. What kind of stupid fucking rule is that? I'm nearly dead so I can't put my eye up to a scope? Come on.

Health is a pain in the arse, one shot and suddenly you're walking around like an 80-year-old, and you've got to wait half an hour for your shields to come back up. That's what annoys me, it's the time you have to take over everything. You get shot and you're sitting around waiting for everything to go back up again, you spend a ridiculous amount of time doing nothing.

The menu is annoying me, every time you pick something up (which is a lot of times) you have to spend a minute in the menu preparing everything again. And the map system can be crap sometimes, I've been stuck twice now where looking at the map gives you no help whatsoever. All you see are a couple of boxes, you can't see a staircase to it or whatever, you have to figure out how you're going to get there yourself.

I liked it at first with the chat stuff, but since then the little things have just started grating and grating. It seems all games lately have had brilliant promise but are ruined by the little crappy bits that are always there throughout the game. I've tried to force myself to like it again tonight but it's not working. (I've never been into the whole "humans v aliens" thing, I think it's a bit childish to be honest, but Gears Of War won me over purely because it is a fantastic game. This isn't, I don't think.)

It has a lot of good things about it but I'm not a huge sci-fi person, and I think you have to be to get anything out of it.

Last edited:
Although I agree with Jack's points, I'm still very much enjoying this game. Eight hours in and it's still living up to my expectations. I'm even finding the fighting pretty decent now I've worked out the cover system. Not GoW but still decent.

One of my all time favorite games great to play an awesome RPG that isnt a LOTR ripoff.

Like dags says the combats fantastic once you figure out how to hit things properly and how much damage you are inflicting.

It is a good game, don't get me wrong. If something annoys me (and there's something in every game that annoys me, no game is perfect) then I will say it, but I also said that the game is good. It's just that I'd rather something was poor rather than annoying, if you know what I mean. If something's poor you can say "shame about that" and move on. If every time you have a fight you have to spend five minutes behind a block waiting for your incredibly crap shields to come back up, it's fucking annoying.

I started again last night on the easiest difficulty and I switched to being a soldier. The game gets a lot better when you do that. But if I start on normal and the engineer guy, which is what I want to do, I find it incredibly annoying. So much so that I couldn't play it like that again, the disc would get snapped.

But on "casual" I am finding it a lot more fun. I just wish it was all-human instead of humans and ten types of aliens... It would have made a great story as a normal human story. Artefact dug up, this agent hates the British/Americans (rather than "the humans"), denies being involved etc... Would have been a really good conspiracy story.

I think developers have realised that anything set in space is instantly "beautiful" and given "gold stars" by all the review places. Otherwise it's "boring" and it's a "maybe".

Yeah i play on normal as a soldier so i am the last to die but ussually get through.
As an engineer you have to use your powers and team work to kill enemys it might involve you not shooting most of the time.

I'm playing as an adept and it's a pain trying to remember to use my barrier before a fight, but throw and warm are quality attacks, lift is pretty nifty too :)

Isn't that half-soldier and half adept (biotics)? I was going to go that class just so I could use a different weapon than a pistol. But I'm enjoying the adept moves enough, and I'm pretty handy with my pistol now :)

It's odd that you can't loot the bodies for weapons and armour they had. Every RPG game has that, even Bioshock. And for the amount of enemies you kill, you'd be well stocked up! Is there a way of selling items by the way? I can buy them but don't see a way of selling.

Played it today at my brother's (who needs to rent games when you have a brother like mine!) and it's not my thing at all. I don't like the environments, the aliens, the outer-space theme, the battles, the story is way to deep - I could go on. BUT as I have said before, I can see why people like it, it's just not for me. I need simple games in my old age!

Shit. Totally addicted now. The last four, nearly five hours have been spent wandering across various planets. I'm totally into it now, my God it gets addictive when you're past a certain point. I can't put it down.

Very, very good and I'm glad I put time into this now. Certainly in my top five games of this year (Bioshock will always be first, the other three would be FIFA 08, Forza 2 and Orange Box - but I don't know the order).

Last edited:
Um, I thought I read that a reviewer played it for 20 hours and only completed 1% of the game? My nephew (who hasn't even been at home most of the time and only got the game on Friday) has just finished the game completely. And then told me what happens, the bastard.

Damn, I was hoping this would last me until Christmas at least. :(

@ Jack,

The "review" was one of the dairies on teamxbox. They had been exploring for 20hours and had hardly started the main mission. From what I have read the main mission is about 20hours with the side quest being an equal amount. So about 40hours in total.

This game has exceeded my expectation. I was really looking forward to it and now that I have it I think it's amazing. The graphics, story, characters, the dialogue system, the gameplay is all top notch. It has some fantastic one liners too.

I'm on Noveria at the moment searching for Benezia. Got about 250 achievement points so far so I presume I'm about 25% into the game. That's taken me around 11 hours.

Last edited:
You have to play the game more then once to get all the achievements as different class and difficulty levels

I am at 29 hours and i have no side missions left at the Moment and just finished Noveria

Between this and CoD4 I'm finding it hard to get off the console.

It was really starting to piss me off but after knocking the difficulty down and levelling up a bit, wow it's addictive. The way the missions lead into eachother is really impressive, you just don't want to stop until you've done everything.

Initially I thought it was too sci-fi for me (I hate anything alienny) but after you get half-decent stats and you start travelling around the universe it's a different game. Really pleased with it.

The chat dial thing is annoying me though, sometimes it will say one thing but he'll say another. It'll say something aggressive like "I don't care about this", you click on it and he says "so what's the next step" - as far as I'm concerned they're not alike, one of those is intimidating and the other is just a simple question. Reminds me of Football Manager where you say "both sides are evenly matched" and after you click next it changes to "we won't be able to beat them", haha.

But what gets me the most is, when you press A to get the dial up in advance, it sometimes takes the first dialogue selection and selects it. AAARGH, the fucking stuff I will have missed because of that. So stupid and so annoying, why couldn't they have used ANY OTHER BUTTON to bring the dial up...

Last edited:
Just wait for the dialogue you impatient sod! ;-)

Edit: Forgot to put the wink :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished Feros after about 7 hours, I think I did all the side missions I could. I'm not doing the next main missions yet though, there's a couple of side missions requiring me to visit minor planets so I'm visiting those first :)

Just finished it (entirely, with all secondary objectives complete). 40 hours in total.

Really great game, even the music at the end and the cinematic styling of everything is brilliant. I'm not the kind of person who completes the same game twice even if it means missing achievements, I just don't see the point when you know the story, but I'm sad to see it go (as I was with Bioshock). Genuinely brilliant game, as much as I loved Bioshock (and probably preferred it) it's definitely Game Of The Year for me, just because of the multiple paths and the amount of effort that's gone into it. Stunning game.

Back
Top Bottom