Mass Effect

Yeah ppl have claimed to finish it in 8-9 hours but they probably skipped the conversations etc.
Others have claimed to been playing it for hours and still be on the first planet.

Most reviews have the main quest at 15 to 20 hours with about the same amount for all the side quests. So say about 30hours if you dont do every single thing in the game.

The framerate issue is dissapointing, but Im still going to get it. Hopefully they can tidy up quite a bit of the bugs/issues with patches.

Glad to read that the sparce areas ive seen in the vids are the side quests with the main story areas being a lot more fleshed out. Look forward to this as a xmas/winter holiday game. Wont be getting it straight away as im still trying to finish hl2, havent even gotton started in the episodes yet :D

Why are alot of the reviewers skating around the framerate issues?

Will get the but Unchartd first

That does it. I'm passing on this game. The ign review just didn't convince me and the framerate problems, unresponsive command buttons at times etc...just kills it for me.

Uncharted-Drakes Fortune, here I come.

you won't be dissapointed even though i don't have aps3 i can tell you that its awesome

Was hoping ShopTo would get this in today, don't they normally get their games delivered to them on a Tuesday? I've booked tomorrow off work and it'll be quality if ME arrives tomorrow morning.

My experience is always Thursdays with ShopTo - but check their forum out as the staff post on there and keep everyone up-to-date with stock etc...

Watching the review on Gamer TV now.

EDIT: It scored 5/5. "Simply stunning" they reckon.

Thursdays? That's crap. I'll cancel my pre-order and visit PC World if I wont get it til Friday.

Aye, that's why I might visit PC World. Not sure what else I'd pick up though, there's only Assassin's Creed and Lego Star Wars which I'd consider.

Be sure to let us know your first impressions, it's not out over here until Friday and I'm in two minds...

I have tried to read that IGN review but it just annoyed me. I have not even played this game, and I have no affinity with it but I would not like to form opinions on games based on any review let alone one from IGN.

Two comments in particular stood out as absolutely retarded:

IGN said:
That's not to say that the combat isn't exciting - it is. It's just that it's RPG exciting, not FPS exciting.

IGN said:
it isn’t likely to win over the Halo brigade

I'd much rather these "journalists" focused on reviewing the game they are playing rather than predict its chances of success at 'beating' Halo.

The combat is exciting, just not exciting like an FPS. What do you expect coming from a Bioware RPG? It is not even a First Person viewpoint. It is giving me a headache even trying to understand what the point of that sentence is.

Haven't played the game much due to having a footy match late tonight.

But i played for 30-60 Min's and i love the conversations it feels so natural especially if you can react quickly and have an idea of how you want your character to be in the game.

The combat is fun i already have a handful of weapons and options available to use and you can make the games combat go first person by using the sniper rifle or using the left trigger button in a call of duty Esq target view.

The music is awesome especially if you love the movie Blade runner and the way the music worked for that film.

The game in general us like playing in your very own sci-fi movie with amazing cut scenes, Total custom character interactions and so far the story has me asking so many questions that i want to find the answers too and i don't feel i am being forced to find the answers or want to skip the dialog as soon as someone starts talking to me.

Bad point the text on the screen is tiny so i didn't have a clue what the little pointers were telling me but the manual explains everything in detail, and there is a help guide in the options screen.

Enjoy on Friday :)

Cheers Embrace. Man, I can't wait. ShopTo hasn't despatched yet, was hoping I'd get it today :(

Ah being shipped today. Shame I'm in work tomorrow though, and staying at my girlfriends tomorrow night so I won't be able to play until Friday anyway. I think I'll cancel and just get the PC World 2 for £60 offer on the way home from work on Friday.

Saying that, I don't think my PC World gets their games on the day of release (few days later I think) and I'd be pissed off to go there and find they didn't have a copy in. Decisions ...

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: "disappointingly overhyped encore to Microsoft's main holiday act in gaming, Halo 3."

And Halo 3 wasn't overhyped?

Well Baldurs Gate 2 over a LAN is one of the greatest co-op gaming experiences ever. So there.

Seriously, comparing two completely different genres of games is so asinine.

Enjoy a RPG for its role-playing, which seems to be impressive in mass effect.

Enjoy shooting stuff in FPS, which is impressive in Halo.

The only successful merging of the two is Deus Ex.

Just saw a video interview with the Norwegian paper "Dagbladet" where he said some interesting stuff about downloadable content.

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2007/11/21/518917.html

The text is in norwegian, but the video is in english so you guys might enjoy it. I like the ideas of downloadable content might be like "islands" between the games. Some more flesh to the bone, or the fact that if they have something really really cool, it might be available even though it doesn't impact the story much.

BTW, ME got 6 out of 6 in both of Norways biggest tabloid newspapers.

Just had a quick hour on this and so far - LOVE IT!

Looks beautiful, good story already and the action is fine - dont know what people are complaining about. The speech system is superb once you are using it. The options that come up are more related to what you are thinking as the player, so you choose the option and your character asks the right questions.

I think it works really well - much better than picking from selected lines of dialogue. And it works really quickly - your choices come up before the AI ends talking, so you can cue up your response and its almost seemless. I try to do it as quickly as possible by chosing the response I have in my head, rather than reading each one, thinking about it and then choosing.

Personally, makes me feel more immersed.

Ok, the action - I think is good so far. Very 'Gears of War' as people have already said - like the 'run' camera, cover etc. Cannot see how people are saying its 'basic' etc - seems like any other 3rd person shooter. Squad system works ok with basic orders... sure if you are a fan of games like Gears, GRAW etc, then you'll love this.

I'm very much playing the game as a shooter, with RPG level-ups, squad tactics and the story as bonuses to that. Can already see this becoming a favourite with me and I by no means like RPGs...

If anyone has any q's, then fire away - though I'm sure most will have it tomorrow.

And it works really quickly - your choices come up before the AI ends talking, so you can cue up your response and its almost seemless.
In all the videos I've seen they've been bragging about "if you interrupt someone it will affect their response" - does this not happen any more? You mention a queue system...

Back
Top Bottom