Manchester United Thread

Wtf is going on with this team??? Great start and then that last game in Europa L. About the video one post back. That's pretty much the mentality of most fans these days.

Last edited:
It`s not a good start ,but too early to tell. Everyone is entitle to a blip or 2 during the season. I`m not a fan of Mou ,but then again ,I`m not a fan of Wenger. Stokes/WHU are in a worse situation and they both have time to turn it around.
:offtopic:
Hendo-Xhaka-Progba are in my fantasy football too! was hoping Progba pulled a spectacular -_-

Mourinho has been a mediocre coach for the last 5-6 years, the only thing he has done well is putting pressure on the media, the refs and the players. He used to be good at making already built teams perform better for a season or two, but he has never been a builder. He doesn't have the skills to create something from scratch, he doesn't have any personal style of play that defines his teams other than a lot of intensity.

In my oppinion, United totally screwed it signing him. They should have gone for Guardiola or Klopp, who have a genuine vision of football and have the skills to create a dinasty.

Each time I see a midfield consisting on Fellaini and Pogba my eyes bleed. Only a foul would think it would work. But worse than that, most of the signings of the summer are totally incompatible between them. Rashford and Martial are quick players, but don't associate that well and are a bit limited in small spaces. They are both very young and can evolve into great players. But Ibra is totally the opposite. Then you put Pogba who is totally incompatible with Rooney. And there's no one on the midfield who can create and dictate the pace of the match. Add to that defenders that don't play the ball that well and full backs who can't dribble or defend at top level. The redeeming factor is that there are a lot of young players and you will have a new coach in some months, I hope. I like United, it hurts me to see that clown on the bench.

Media is finally turning on Rooney. About 2-3 years too late, but better late than never I suppose. You can't play Ibra and Rooney together, it's just too immobile. Ibra likes to drop deep, and is much more dangerous on the ball than Rooney. Rooney shouldn't be playing at all, never mind the fact that he's occupying Pogba's favored position. You know, Pogba? The player that cost a fortune? Funny how we break the world record transfer fee, and elect to play Rooney in his position instead. That's genius. We have cams, and strikers playing on the wings. We don't look like a cohesive unit, no one moves for each other off the ball. Same old, same old.

Last edited:
Just start with Zlatan behind Rashford or Martial, drop Fellaini for Carrick, and play Mkhitaryan as well.

It`s not a good start ,but too early to tell. Everyone is entitle to a blip or 2 during the season. I`m not a fan of Mou ,but then again ,I`m not a fan of Wenger. Stokes/WHU are in a worse situation and they both have time to turn it around.
:offtopic:
Hendo-Xhaka-Progba are in my fantasy football too! was hoping Progba pulled a spectacular -_-

The thing with Mourinho tho is that he can turn a blip into a full blown crisis very quickly.

I was thinking that the scenario where he doesn't last 18 months would go something like:
-1st season, he'd have a good season but just miss out on the PL
-2nd season, by December it doesn't look like he's going to win the PL and he flips out.

Utd's next fixtures are Leicester, Stoke, Chelsea, Liverpool. If Utd don't improve quickly he could be flipping out a lot sooner, with his Chelsea meltdown fresh in the memory.

Do I think he will be sacked this season? not really, Utd will improve (and the teams above them will drop points) but it wouldn't surprise me. Woodward would have to walk with him but Mou could make his position untenable with his actions, unlike LVG.

Long season ahead tho. Utd far from out of the title race.

fwiw, If I was the manager atm I'd play

Ibra
Rashford Pogba Herrera Mkhi/Mata
Blind
Shaw Smalling Bailly Valencia
De Gea​

-Rooney would compete with Blind for the DM position. He wouldn't play anywhere else. All he has left is somewhat accurate long range passing.
-I rate Martial but his head isn't right atm
-If Valencia is your RB you may as well play a playmaker like Mata/Mkhi there who will come inside otherwise there's no point, you may as well play an actual RB at RB
-Utd played their best football since Ferguson when LVG played a 4141 with Young-Fellaini-Herrera-Mata. Rash>Young, Pogba>Fellaini Mkhi(probably)>Mata

Last edited:
I think LVG had that bond w/ the hierarchy of the club. Mou doesn`t ,but it`s a long season and once he finds a solution things can turn around. I think they'll beat LCFC, Stoke and draw Chels/Pool .

There's nothing settled about Mourinho, that's for sure. Its eruptions are positive as negative, he's like a talk show host. The failures at Chelsea's 2nd season was always going to be a talking point. Mou is being bash for falling out w/ players... nothing new from his past club .

Been away a while, so fortunately missed most of the football. Happy days.

On Mou's United, I think a few things are happening:
1. He's giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself, and this seems to have worked. FINALLY the media are picking up on what a drain he is on us, and now I think the British media would be willing to 'allow' Mou to bench him. Reasonably smart politically, opposite of what he did with Raul. Of course, results wise, not so good.

2. It's a terrible run, but in isolation, each match is kind of understandable. Losing to City is something just about every team in the league will do this season, plus they're in excellent form. Feyenoord game was an absolute abomination of a match, reduced to a foul-party and terrible refereeing which allowed it. Should have been a draw, no one would have noted anything. Watford...2 late goals and it looks like a disaster, but from the min by min, it sounded like most thought United would go on and win at 1-1. Dunno, didn't see it.

Anyway, point being, and to answer the ref questions, each of those 3 matches COULD be quite different had refs 'done their job'. Certainly the Feyenoord and Watford's first goals are just poor officiating. Not saying we should be playing better, but at some point in theory we should start getting some luck again.

Plus, this is largely a new squad. Ibra, Pogba, Bailley all in the first XI, that's big changes. It'll take time. Further, having to play with 10 players due to Rooney would hurt any team - just look at England. He's genuinely that bad right now. Finally, LVG pretty much ruined a lot of these players ability to think quickly and play at high tempo. 2 years of coaching can't be undone instantly.

It's a long season. Let's see what happens. The media want to make anything with United into drama because that's what sells. Mou may not be the force he once was, but he's far from an idiot. I don't like him, but at this point we're stuck, so let's back him and the team.

Godo's team is exactly what I and most of United's fans want to see. A midfield 3 of Blind/Pogba/Herrera feels very balanced, as does a front 3 of Ibra with two pacey players.

Mata popping up with an important (and good) goal again. Someone you'll need as it's very rare to score so many from corners
It appears that now Leicester can't wrestle opponents they can't defend set pieces for shit

Glad you won. Had a dream Mourinho got sacked and was disappointed. I want to enjoy smashing his face in for a couple of years yet, on the pitch of course ;)

I think when you have 24 shots and only score 1, you know it's not your day.

But when they score from a deflected scuff, which Dave screws up, which deflects off 2 defenders, off the bar and into the path of the scorer...well then.

Maybe United's new sponsor is dodgy betting syndicates ;)

Confidence is still low, I think we need to go on a run now hopefully win our games till we get to Arsenal at OT and gather some momentum please.

Back
Top Bottom