MAG : PS3

Was looking forward to this, and after it taking all day to download and install was really disappointed. Just seems to have a cheap feel to it. I'm sure they had to dumb down the graphics because of the amount of players and size of the maps. I just think the whole 256 players thing is non important because you will never get even half that amount of players on screen at one time, so its just the same as a game that has a smaller map with less players.

And then there are the really serious people on it, like the commanders (or whatever they are called) barking instructions, telling you what to focus on etc, I can just picture these tits sitting in their bedrooms dressed up in army gear, laughable!

So its a no no for me, and its a relief because my wanted list was looking pretty big.

For now if I want a shooter fix, its back to Socom and Killzone.

Did you guys register on the blog or did you get your codes from elsewhere?

I've been checking my inbox since 2pm and still nothing.

That's the link that was on the blog, I hope it turns up soon, I'd rather download everything overnight.

So, finally downloaded this, took absolutely ages btw. Approx 12hours for 2.5GB, what a bloody joke.

I'm a bit gutted if I'm honest, all that time downloading it and I not sold on it at all. As soon as I downloaded I went straight in for a quick go and played around 5 or 6 full matches. I honestly don't know what I'm doing, I can see the objectives on the map and I can see my teammates around me, but that's it. It says defend the base or destroy this section etc but what happened to commanding your squad? working together as a team? providing backup with other vehicles etc. There's no guide, very little by way of instructions and frankly it just seems like a bog standard run and gun type FPS game (which compared to the competition, isn't that great). I hope it's me just being slow to adjust or blind and can't really see what's going on to judge where I'm supposed to be helping out.

I would appreciate if someone could clear up what I'm supposed to be doing. At the moment I don't see the point of buying this over other run and gun types games that are coming out soon (MW2 + BF:BC2). I knew it wouldn't be that mind-blowing graphically, due to the size of the maps and number of players involved but I really hoped for something different and revolutionary, something that would make me keep this compared to other similar games.

You only get to command a squad and tell people what to do after you've proved yourself on the battlefield. So you have to complete some objectives and rank up a little before it will allow you to boss others around.

Seems like a marmite game at the minute, lots of people loving it, lots can't stand it at all.

I was saying to someone earlier who said it seems run and gun - I tend to stick around the outskirts of the objectives, I managed to get a decent kill-streak that way. It doesn't feel run and gun to me, compared to the likes of Call of Duty.

It could definitely use some improvement though granted, the framerate (literally) gives me a headache and it would be nice if they made it easier to find out what the hell you're supposed to be doing.

I usually get on okay but just when I think I get the AB|CD|EF|GH thing at the top, something happens that I don't understand. :CONF:

Anyone likely to be on this tonight? I'm hoping to god someone deactivates my account so I can finally download my purchases and this beta and try it out.

Damnit, I forgot to deactivate! :EMB:

I'll try to remember when I get home, but if you want to send me a PM this evening to remind me, I should be able to do it there and then.

Just had a couple of games on it. I like it a lot.

There was one map that had us attacking which was near impossible. You start basically in the same spot for both spawn choices and then when you move forwards to attack you just get shot by turrets and defenders. Really hard to do anything and I can imagine if anyone played that first it would turn them away from the game.

But the other maps I played were much more enjoyable and large enough for you to flank around and take out the structures with C4.

Just spotted this on the EU forums.

server times for this Beta

General

Monday - Friday, 17:00 - 20:00 GMT & 00:00 - 04:00 GMT

Best Buy Vendor Show (U.S.)

Monday, September 21st : 15:00 - 23:00 GMT extension

Tuesday, September 22nd : 23:00 - 04:00 GMT extension

MAG Ireland Media Day
Wednesday, September 23rd : 14:30 - 20:00 GMT extension

NOTE: If you want to know the UK time then you must add 1 hour to GMT, as the UK is currently in the BST time zone (daylight savings). European countries should also follow suit.

In addition to the above times, here is the schedule of what will be tested on any given day (dates in N.A. format):

9/17/09 Sabotage

9/18/09 Sabotage

9/21/09 Sabotage + Acquisition

9/22/09 Domination

9/23/09 Domination

9/24/09 Acquisition

9/25/09 Acquisition

9/28/09 Acquisition

9/29/09 Acquisition

9/30/09 Acquisition

10/01/09 Domination

10/02/09 Domination

10/05/09 Acquisition

10/06/09 Acquisition

10/07/09 Acquisition

10/08/09 Acquisition

10/09/09 Acquisition

Anyone in need of a beta key? I have just received yet another code so first come first served.

Your Massive Action Game beta key is:
KLB4-29BC-P4D4

*PLEASE NOTE* THIS KEY WILL ONLY WORK WITH EUROPEAN PSN ACCOUNTS.

I personally find the graphics ugly to the point where it is hard to make out what is happening. That's my beef. There's also a slightly nauseating ghosting effect when turning, as you almost get the new frame superimposed over the old one. Much like that trail you can get on your mouse pointer, but for the whole damn screen.

It's the actual gunplay and movement of the players that isn't any fun. Players don't have any momentum; if you are strafing left you can then strafe right almost immediately. This isn't the only game to have this level of agility, and it would be fine if the gun aiming was up to scratch. But no, it feels unnatural and unwieldly to aim a gun and shoot. It feels like console FPS games typically felt 5 or 6 years ago before they started taking the genre seriously.

Combine this with the ability to bunnyhop, and to aim just as well (or badly) while moving at pace, and you have significant backwards steps in the genre, rather than forwards.

I'd love to see this 256 player capability in a game that takes the actual gameplay on a smaller scale seriously. It's a good show of ambition to try such a thing, but you have to be able to get the basics right first.

Not having a training level in a game as initially bewildering as this is utterly criminal as well.

MAG EU Open Beta Announced

With the release of MAG not far off now, I’m pleased to announce that following our successful series of Beta programs, Zipper and Sony Computer Entertainment will team up in January to bring you the final and 100% open PSN Beta!

This will be a global Beta allowing you to compete with players from all over the world, with access to the game’s 64-player ‘Sabotage’ and 256-player ‘Domination’ game modes. New Beta users will have access to the download on the PlayStation Store from January 4th onwards, with the Beta ending on January 10th at 07:59 GMT.

Now that you know when to get the MAG Beta, your path to playing it is a simple three-step process:

1. Log on to the PlayStation Store and download the MAG Beta file like you would any other freely-available PSN video or demo (298 MB)
2. Launch the MAG Beta program from your XMB to download a special patch that will restart MAG once the update has been received (another 38 MB)
3. After the reboot, the beta will reconnect and download the actual game data so that you can play (1.8 GB – 2.3 GB depending on your region)

Pre-existing MAG Beta trialists will be able to download the new Beta 5 update from 13:00 GMT tomorrow, December 22nd. This should give you plenty of time to get hold of the new data set before the trial begins in earnest on the Jan 4th, but the game servers won’t be operational until then.

I would like to thank the community for all their support of the game and wish you a merry Christmas and happy New Year!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/12/21/mag-open-beta-announced/

I've spent the last three hours downloading this beta, the download gets to 95% and now I'm getting constant error messages :BRICK:

I couldn't be arsed redownloading it all again. it took early 3 hours the last time - and broke my PS3 by glitching at 49% and corrupting something. The beta only last like 6 days as well. I did want to check out this epic 256 player battle but i may as well just buy the damn game for that - it depends if Bad Company 2 comes first.

Pile of poo imo. Got bored with the beta a few months back straight away and quickly passed the code on...

MW2 is looking like it's getting traded in too. Me and FPS games don't last long at all. Yawn fest!

I couldn't be arsed redownloading it all again. it took early 3 hours the last time - and broke my PS3 by glitching at 49% and corrupting something. The beta only last like 6 days as well. I did want to check out this epic 256 player battle but i may as well just buy the damn game for that - it depends if Bad Company 2 comes first.
bad companmy 2 is out march mate so this game comes out first.

Is this any good then? I was waiting for bad company 2 to see if it had a minimum stategy in it. Doesthis one feature any or is it another crazy run and gun fps?

Erm... I only played the beta when it was 32 vs 32 and the objective was to storm the enemy area and destroy some targets. As you advanced forward planting bombs (which they have to disarm so it goes back and forth) you push the defending side back and back and then either you blow everything and win or you get to the end and have to say get a tank out of the base and back to your safe area which then you have to hold there while the defenders fight to get it back.

As everything was very objective based there is a lot of team based strategy about it. Your squad leaders and guys above them can call in the air support or motor strikes etc to clear paths for you all and a lot of people I bumped into had mics on and were very hardcore about the whole game. Lots of groups of mates saying things like 'I'll flank around on the left and throw smoke' and then the other guy would shout out something like 'sniper by the sentry' and someone else would say 'I've got him, keep flanking'.

But I was playing when the players were hardcore players who want the game and did everything they could to get into the beta - So they aren't just playing the beta like its a free demo and they go around team killing and just pissing about. No doubt those players will show up when the game is released.

When they did the next phase of the beta I did notice less and less microphone enabled players and less 'team talk' about the action and what everyone was doing'. People still spoke... but it was more 'shit they have the tank' or 'fuck off... I fired a full round into him' or 'camping shits' (despite the point of the game being 'defend the area').

I think with the game coming from the Socom guys it will be tactical and revolve more around the team playing as a team rather than individual Rambos.

A big part of the game is playing well, doing as you're told and ranking up to be able to lead your squad. Then you have to prove your worth in that role to rank up higher again. So I think any idiots will phase out after a while when they realise that you have to play the game to get the big guns and being a dick is giving them nothing. And because you have to prove you're worthy to be the leaders you shouldn't run into games where some idiot is the leader and is telling you to attack something that is heavily defended while another objective with no one defending it goes unnoticed.

Someone posted their thoughts on the final game on the EU PS forums.

What A Fantastic Experience (Full Game)

So many of you know about the event that Eurogamer held with IGN, and you will know those who went got the game early. Well i was one of those people.

But this isnt about that event, this is about playing the full game last night with my friend from about 7:20pm-12:00am and mine and his impressions.

First up WOW what an experience! we joined team Raven! which is a fantastic team with a varied variety of weapons and probably the best looking armour out of the whole lot. There is so much to cover that ill break it down a bit simpler in headings.

Interactivity/ Community: So first up we obviously wanted to be joining games together and spend our time in the same lobbies so we can chat. And it was as simple as 1,2,3. Your friends have to be in the in-game menu and you can invite them to your "group" once they accept the group invite they are part of your party, however this differs from that of COD as once in the group you can fully access your Barracks, and Armoury. Your friends will be in a small pop-up box that you can access by pressing Triangle and see thier status, in this box you can also decide if you want to allow them to apply for leadership roles- useful for clans i guess.

The community is surprisingly helpful and really do communicate if they had a microphone, me and my mate in every single match were talking to other players and actually forming tactics and honestly i cant stress enough this game NEEDS tactics, run and gun goes for nothing. Voice comms are very good and you will hear your friends and allies in your squad through your headset, other squad members and the enmy will be heard through your sound system or TV.

I have to be fair, i thought the yanks would be screaming and being complete a-holes, incredibly they were really friendly and people were actually helping you out and forming tactics, something i mentioned earlier.

Gameplay and general loadout: The gameplay is absolutely nothing like COD, if you are expecting anything similar just expire all thoughts of it, this game plays more similarly to Battlefield and Killzone. The weightyness is more akin to Battlefield where as the accuracy and method of fire is more close to killzone. As in the way you cant spray and prey you have to take your shots carefully and do short burst for better accuracy.

Now i also have a huge gripe with this game and its nothing to do with the design of the game so much and is more towards the players use of what they are given. so here we go......... ROCKET-LAUNCHERS AKA RPG's these are the single worst thing about MAG, for some reason you start with them, no unlock, no gradual progress towards it, simply there. It potentially can ruin games, you run in, tactics formed, a single efficiant unit working for the objective, some bloke runs in firing rockets into a tiny crevice and destroys the entire complex- disgusting, needs removing. The tactical element of this game is kind of ruined by it, it just seems like COD deathmatch when the rockets fly in.

The same almost applies to grenade spam, theres something annoying about holding off a position and the little red grenade indicators fly up about 7 of them surround you, you hop around like a looney trying to avoid them, only to respawn and get spammed again. Unfortunate and 99% of the time it doesnt happen, its just the initial rush into a game where the fireworks start. On thelarger games like aquisition and domination it doesnt seem to happen as much because of scale, the same applies to rocket spam.

Its basically the COD nuts doing it, and most people can see that, and theyre all on b-loody S.V.E.R, more on the factions on the next section.

Factions and Balancing: EVERYONE and i mean 60% of all players are on S.V.E.R and they are raking in the points! Valor and Reaven seem equally porportioned. Im hoping today (European release) that more people will join Raven and it balances out abit, due to this we played only two matches where we were attacking and most of the time defending, but it makes the players come together and creates a sort of exclusivity to joining a faction.

The game modes are fun and really have a sense of despiration, classic, fun and engaging!

All in all this is a long term game, imagine MMO but FPS! its incredible, the GFX are incredibly improved over the BETA which looked like ass. Most problems are player based and will fizzle out as people return to Modern Borefare 2.

But seriously if you are in two minds about this game, do yourself a favour, get it, experience a revolution in FPS and have a blast.

ReadingAid signing off for Raven!

--

OOOOOPS forgot one bit. Connection and servers: Rock solid, not one single hiccup. Even on domination 128 vs 128 makes COD look shameful with its twitchy connection and controls. Again we were playing against the US and it was silky smooth. Entire the whole night not one disconnect with me and my friend and not one "Failed to join server" messege, brilliant!

nope - free as usual

-

Day 1 patch news

MAG Beta vs. Final Game
posted by Jeremy Dunham, January 25, 2010 2:38 pm

January 26 is just one day away with MAG arriving on store shelves worldwide tomorrow and throughout the week. Before you delve into your first “official” match between Raven, S.V.E.R., and Valor, though, we wanted to make sure that you knew two things:

1. What the differences between the Beta 5.0 and the final version are.
2. How we implemented your feedback from the beta to affect the retail game on day one.

First, let’s talk about the differences between the final game and the beta you tried out a few weeks ago – the most obvious of which is the mode and map count. Whereas before, the Beta version of MAG only offered six maps and two modes, the retail version has a full five modes with 15 maps to play. The final game also includes a handy offline training mode, unique armors, new cinematics, art galleries, trophies, and the always-popular Veteran Mode that lets you start all over again with a permanent XP bonus and the ability to switch your faction after hitting the level cap. Of course, graphical and audio improvements are in there too.

The final game is better than the beta. Believe it.

But our “out of the box” distinctions aren’t all there is to talk about. We’ve also addressed a number of topics that were brought to our attention when you were testing MAG earlier this month, and will deliver them to you the moment you boot MAG up with a small in-game patch (roughly 60-80 MB depending on your region).

Among these upgrades is the oft-asked-for ability to knife an enemy while you’re reloading your weapon — in addition to a pretty significant framerate increase during player-heavy games and noticeable differences in the effectiveness of every weapon and piece of armor. Moreover, we’ve gone back and added all-new light settings for every environment and increased the amount of time you can sprint before getting tired.

For a full catalog of additions, fixes and tweaks, check out our complete list of patch notes below. See you again tomorrow and happy gaming!

MAG Patch v1.01

The latest patch notes can always be found on the official MAG Blog.

Gameplay
· Added ability for player to use knife during a reload animation.
· Applied significant tuning adjustments for all weapons and armor.
· Increased sprint duration before tiring by 30%.
· Lowered XP requirements for levels 2 thru 4.
· Lowered level-entry restrictions for Sabotage from Level 3 to Level 2.
· Lowered level-entry restrictions for Acquisition from Level 5 to Level 4.
· Lowered level-entry restrictions for Domination from Level 10 to Level 8.
· Enabled proper level requirements for unlocking headgear, facegear, and uniforms.
· Fixed problem with recoil/firing animation that kept playing for a few seconds after the player fires an automatic gun and uses knife swipe simultaneously.

Interface
· Fixed bug where incapacitated players’ nametags would occasionally disappear.
· Repositioned onscreen weapons for improved field of view.
· Armory items (facegear/ headgear/ uniforms) reordered.
· Removed helmets from “Loadout 3” for all factions.

Graphics
· Made significant increase in framerate during player-heavy games.
· Changed light settings for all environments.
· Polished recoil effect for better realism.
· Fixed offset muzzle flash effect.
· Tuned camera to shake more realistically when hit by bullets.
· Adjusted “blur” effect for both normal sights and iron sights.
· Added alternate reload animation.
· New “light scatter” treatment for all skies.
· Repaired various “weapon clipping” issues.
· Enacted several particle fogging adjustments.

Audio
· Switched first-person weapon sounds to true stereo.
· Moved first-person character interactions and weapon switches to true stereo.
· Tweaked sounds effects relating to landing on surfaces.

Technical
· Added error display and queue panel updates to notify player when they’ve encountered a “join game” failure.
· Made various server stability fixes and tweaks.

http://vimeo.com/9004925

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Radiation, i'll wait til i can get it sub £30 i think but it's looking like something i can get myself and my mates into.

Back
Top Bottom