Lost Season 3

Re: Lost Season 3 - (Discussion Only / No Spoilers)

I've read that they perfectly know the end after scheduling the main ideas for each season (that's normal).

The thing is that everything is going to have an answer if the show isn't stopped by ABC before the writters.

It has been long known they make it up as they go along.
This was obvious when they killed of the two women who got caught drink driving even tho one of them had a huge part to play with hurley and his past.
This is one of the more worrying parts of the series as it could go pear shaped at any moment.

yep did anyone see it?

my o my now its begining to make sence about the darma project. BRILLIENT EPISODE!!

Man after the crazy long 2 month break and watching other shows such as Heroes, 24 and Prison Break, I gotta say I was quite underwhelmed. Got a bit bored and ended up browsing the net whilst watching it :(

it still nail bitting. the last episode was a treat. its 24 thats getting too repetitive

It's was cool. I can't compare like you a 7th episode with 15th. Not the same goal at the moment.

Enjoy. And you'll see how great the 15th will be ;). Both 15th were great in LOST.

With Lost being off-air for a while I was left watching Heroes and Battlestar Galactica. Now it's back, it seems so average in comparison to those shows. I don't think they have any idea where they're going with it, I used to be really intrigued by it but season two and even more so season three have been far below the level of entertainment provided by the opener.

I quite enjoyed the latest episode. I thought the flash backs were pretty good also, I think that woman (forgot her name) is quite an intresting character. Poor guy that was forced to watch those crazy movies and listen to techno!. Makes you wonder what will happen to Jack now. Roll on next week

308 - I'm no Hero

Superb.

Love the flashack zod. The cliffhanger "100% in your face Charlie" comes nicely. I didn't see it coming.

Eveything pleased me. Desmond, The One, made me remember my crazy nights in England drinking beer watching football. Ahhhh Nostalgia!!!!!

Yes it was quite a change from the norm - it was quite good this week

But I have this feeling that more and more questions are gonna be left unanswered. I completely forgotten the episode showing Echo's death cos of all that dull "Others" storyline - it seems like an eternity away.

Also, the shocking revelation at the end of Season 2 where it was revealed that Desmond's GF (Penny or summat) was actually searching for where he is located...what happened to that storyline?!

It's all good keeping a bit of a mystery but it goes to the point when you end up forgetting the cliffhanger(!) - it kinda loses its edge :(

The main different with other seasons is that for 8 episodes, there was only 1 or 2 days happened. Before one episode was about 1 or 2 days, so it's seems a bit strange now.

Really enjoyed that episode because it placed the focus on more interesting characters, rather than like Rocky said the Others who have become incredibly boring. But I also agree with Rocky that they are jumping about all over the place too much, what's the betting that we don't get any development on the Desmond/Charlie angle for another few episodes at least, by which time the momentum they'd built up around it will have gone.

Pennys Dad is part of the Others organisation and he will be back with Penny.

Yep and dont forget about the man they saw in the camera who is in another hatch.

But you have to remember that 3 different episodes can be the same day just from the different parts of the island.

They know how it started and they know how it finishes, its just that they have no idea what to do in between,

I gave up watching it after I saw 3*01

I don't mind all of the boring crap in the middle too much, I'm just not as confident as CW when he says "they know how it finishes". I've got a horrible feeling it's going to get to season 14 and they're going to say "the station won't fund us any more so that's it, it's over" (when the last episode was about Charlie's ghost swapping trees around and farting in Sun's lemonade while she has a flashback about the first lemonade she ever drank and remembers that it tasted distinctly like farts).

But seriously, after the last episode, they have a fuck-load of explaining to do (and I'm sure they won't).

Last edited:

I doubt it'll get to season 6 (as expected) let alone 14 ;)

But seriously, ratings are apparently dropping. Although, this may change after this week's episode as it's added something new.

I haven't watched any of Alias (JJ Abrams previous show), but I heard it ended with a lot of questions left to answer. I'll be extremely effed off if it ends likewise with Lost :(

The Alias ending was due to ABC who decided to get rid of the continuity between each episode. After season 2, the channel prefered "loner episodes" (1 episode = 1 different story) and JJ and Co couldn't do what they wanted anymore. I hope it won't happen with LOST.

After watching the last episode it was good to see a change in style of an episode and I pretty much enjoyed it

All though its left me a bit puzzled with the whole Desmond thing, a couple of things - The woman that tried to stop Desmond buying the ring as she now given her powers to Des ? (all seems a bit unrealistic to me)

Also why did Des go upto Charlie in the street saying hes seen him before? but Charlie didnt have a clue. That bit was made out to be after the island and them two were off it. Maybe it was Des seeing into the future ?

Anyone else shine any light on it ?

Will 'Lost' ratings plunge doom series?
By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer
Yesterday at 8:55 pm

The show was smart and intriguingly spiked with supernatural and sci-fi twists. It featured hot new stars who graced glossy magazine covers _ until the ratings tumbled. So much for "The X-Files," which enjoyed a nine-year run before misguided plots and a time slot change eroded its appeal. Flash forward to today and you'll find its counterpart in "Lost," another spooky, cerebral, sexy show _ which may end up killed off before its time.

"`Lost' is the tragedy of the season," said Marc Berman, TV analyst for Media Week Online as well as a fan aggrieved by what he considers ABC's bungled handling of a favorite show. "They really prematurely put the nail in the coffin. It's too late to save it."

The saga of plane-crash survivors stranded on a dangerous and surreal island once drew an impressive 20 million-plus viewers as it helped raise ABC from ratings purgatory, gained cultural-phenomenon status and won the 2005 Emmy for best drama. But eight episodes into its third season, "Lost" has taken a painful nosedive, with an audience of 14.5 million for its Feb. 7 episode and 12.8 million _ its lowest ever _ for this week's show.

Like Fox's "The X-Files," "Lost" has been pelted with viewer complaints (especially on many formerly adoring Web sites) about confusing plots and dangling mysteries _ who the ominous "Others" are; whether the survivors are part of an elaborate scientific experiment; what is real, imagined, important or trivial. It has endured scheduling changes that were intended to help but ended up hurting, including a prolonged midseason absence that Berman called "suicide" and a move to 10 p.m. EST Wednesday.

Also like "The X-Files," "Lost" proved that offbeat tales and characters can mean a limited shelf life.

"Whenever you get outside one of the big three franchises _ cops, doctors or lawyers _ and into the more high-concept shows, they tend to burn bright but burn out faster," said veteran network executive Tom Nunan, now a TV and film producer ("Crash," "The Illusionist").

"Our expectations are higher, they're expected to reach greater milestones in a more original fashion," said Nunan, a follower of the show who believes it still deserves hit status.

"The X-Files" managed to maintain ratings growth into season five and didn't crash until its final year, 2001-02. "Lost" is slumping badly in year three.

"Viewers have become very unhappy with the show because they've left people hanging for too long," Berman said. "They've opened up too many cans of worms and haven't resolved enough issues."

Taking the focus away for long stretches from lead characters including Hurley (Jorge Garcia), Locke (Terry O'Quinn) and Sayid (Naveen Andrews) is another fan grievance, voiced even by those who feel warmly toward "Lost."

"You won't see characters for a bit, then you see them again and you have to recollect what was going on," said Chris Becker, 43, of Newport Beach.

But Becker, who admits to a fondness for science fiction, said he intends to stick with "Lost" to the last: "You're this far into it, you want to see how it ends."

That final chapter should have been years off for a property which, along with "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy," helped ABC (owned by Walt Disney Co.) regain ratings traction and buzz. The network tried to protect "Lost," moving it out of the way this month of returning Fox juggernaut "American Idol" at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Switching "Lost" to 10 p.m. also created a stronger lead-in for lucrative local evening newscasts, important for ABC and its affiliate stations.

"The networks own a lot of affiliates. Strategically, as a business plan it's a little more clever than some people are giving it credit for," said Nunan, who was president of the now-defunct UPN network and worked at ABC, Fox and NBC.

But he dings ABC for failing to provide a strong lead-in for "Lost," which now follows either its own reruns or sitcoms. Another challenge: There's a smaller pool of viewers available during the 10 p.m. time slot than earlier in prime-time.

The series' producers said earlier this year they don't want to outstay their welcome, as they believe "The X-Files" did, and that they were talking with ABC about setting an end date for "Lost."

Certainly, however, no one had anything immediate in mind.

What do ABC expect the first 2 season episodes were on off off on on every week it was a guess if it was a new episode or not.

And now its on at 10PM when most wont watch it.

The new episode is supposed to answer 3 questions but they will probably be forced and not altogether wrongly start speeding up the shows climax.

They where talking about 100 episodes or thereabouts, so that would work out at 4 seasons.

Liked the episode last night and liked the twist at the end when you where thinking Claire was for the chop. :shock:

FD

Why "Lost" is lost...

http://krhunt.blogspot.com/2007/02/why-lost-is-lost.html

Lots of people are talking about how "Lost" is spiraling into the depths of crap TV, so I figured, as one of many disillusioned fans, I would add my two cents.

#1 The Lost Experience

The biggest nail in the coffin for me was the ill-conceived (and tremendously arrogant) Lost Experience. Average, busy viewers like me didn't have the time or inclination for an optional multimedia snipe hunt. One hour a week is plenty, and besides, I figured anything important would surely be revealed within the show itself.

Instead, after sticking carefully to the show for two seasons, I discovered that many of the questions I had been pondering were answered in between seasons in The Lost Experience. In order to get up to speed, I had to read an online FAQ about what was revealed in the course of the game (easily the least fulfilling plot experience of my life).

The Lost Experience spoke volumes about the show and its producers. First, it was an indication that the team isn't talented enough to properly weave the mythology into the plotline. They have these underlying mysteries, they have these characters, and, ah hell with it, let's just make a website explaining some of the island's backstory so we don't have to deal with it.

Second, had viewers like me known how much would be revealed, we might have been bribed into participating. Instead, loyal viewers of the show were punished for non-participation.

Third, what about viewers who didn't have the time or resources to play an internet game? What about old people who like Lost but don't use the internet, or poor people who like Lost but don't have access to the internet, or parents and law students who like Lost but don't want to spend hours every week being screwed around by the producers. The answer from the producers was quite simple: "We don't care about these viewers."

#2 Stupid Producers

On the topic of the producers being idiots, let's turn to their inability to understand the strengths of their own show. Here's an instructive quote from producer Carlton Cuse:

"We don't allow the characters to focus on the mythology. But when we sit down and we work on the stories, we're primarily spending most of our time talking about these characters and how they interact. And I think that if the characters became focused on the mythology, a lot of people would drop out. I think there's a much larger audience that's much more interested in "Who is Kate going to choose?" than the details about who Alvar Hanso is."

Maybe there is a "much larger" audience that cares about a clumsy, cliche love triangle than an innovately mysterious island, but I seriously doubt it. My interest in Lost, like many people's, was centered around the "mythology" and not the ham-fisted characters. I like character development more than most, but a show like Lost needs to keep its characters well-rooted in what is central to the show: the mystery.

Which brings us to...

#3 Characters

If the producers turn all of their efforts toward turning Lost into a Passions-like soap opera, then why, pray tell, are all of their characters crap?

Jack has trouble with relationships. We get it. We've gotten it since the first season. Message received. The flashbacks started as an interesting storytelling device, but quickly devolved into just another way to hold back on as much of the plot as possible. Now, we get multiple flashbacks with the same "character development."

Look, Kate's a manipulator who always runs from her problems! Look, she did it this other time! Oh look, it gets her into trouble a lot! Oh my gosh, it happened again, and it totally parallels what's happening on the island! Flat characters make for boring TV.

That's not to say there haven't been fascinating characters on Lost--Desmond, early Locke, Mr. Eko, Ben--but do you notice a pattern? The only time characters are interesting is when we don't know much about them. Remember how compelling the Locke character was in that first episode in his interactions with Walt? Now think of him in the third season, stumping around the island, transformed from enigmatic to sullen. Every time the producers turn their focus to character development, they bungle the job and ruin the character.

Charlie, Kate, Sawyer, and Jack all started as interesting characters when we knew little about them. Then we learned that little bit was all there was to know and we were going to be hammered over the head with it every week, and they became a burden to watch.

Hell, the only reason Mr. Eko remained interesting is because the producers killed him off before they could ruin him.

#4 Plot Holes

Everybody complains that no one on the island talks to each other to solve the mysteries. This is explained in part by Cuse's comment that they're actively avoiding having the characters talk about the mythology. Because, of course, if you were trapped on a supernatural island with nothing to do, you'd never talk about it.

The real reason, of course, is much more simple.

"The reality is, we've written those scenes, and in some cases we even shoot those scenes. And whether you take our word for it or not, we think they don't work. They're incredibly boring. ... If, for example, everybody got together and basically Sayid said, "Well, I'll tell you, I found this wire ,and I followed this wire," and then somebody else said, "Wait a minute," ... and they started to put it together, it would make for very uninvolving television.

They say "it would make for very uninvolving television," but are we really buying that line? Are they seriously saying that watching characters resolve mysteries is "uninvolving?" Sherlock Holmes is uninvolving? Memento is uninvolving? One of the greatest genres of literature is uninvolving?

Allow me to translate what's really being said: "The reality is, we're not good enough writers to write realistic interactions between this many characters when there are so many questions unresolved. So instead, we're going to pretend like it's not a problem and hope people won't notice that the resulting situations are completely unbelievable wild goose chases."

This, dear producers, is called writing yourself in a corner. When you develop a plotline that you can't explain without an hour of recapping and narration, you are writing poorly. You can blame the idea that the scenes would be "boring," but they're only boring because you set them up that way and can't figure out how to write yourself out of the hole.

Stop giving excuses and start giving answers. I'm not talking about wrapping up all the big mysteries, but for crying out loud, give us something. With so many completely unanswered questions about the island, there's no reason every episode shouldn't contain half a dozen new, tantalizing tidbits of information. Go back to Black Rock, show Jack's dad again, give us anything. You can berate people for lack of patience, but the bottom line is that a compelling plot needs to have constant motion. And instead you gave us Sawyer and Kate fucking in a bear cage for three episodes.

#5 Us vs. Them

This is what it ultimately comes down to. The fans want fun, interesting TV and the producers think they can't deliver it without compromising the plot.

Cuse says: "I think that there are people who fall away because it does require you to really keep up and on the episodes. It's a complicated show."

He truly thinks that the show is such a rich, wondrous tapestry that the only reason people stop watching it is because it overloads them. But anyone paying attention to the audience attrition this season knows it's nonsense. The problem is that we could keep up, and the writers had nothing to give us but the entrances to another dozen plot mazes.

The show hit a point where all momentum stopped. The hatch was fascinating. The revelation of Desmond inside was incredible. Locke attacking a polar bear with a flamethrower was filler, and we're smart enough to know that.

#6 How to Fix It

For characters: Kill Jack. Kill Kate. Kill Nicki and Paolo (or whatever) and never, ever, ever make such a grade school attempt to introduce new characters again. Make Charlie interesting again instead of the whiny, jealous infant he became. Don't screw up Desmond. Cripple Locke and bring back his mystic bent. Let Sayid loose. More Sun & Jin. Make Sawyer say something besides "offensive attention-getter, unimaginative nickname. Sarcastic comment and/or question." Oh, and maybe explain where Danielle is after all this time.

For plot: Get the Others jacked into the mythology again instead of turning them into a Melrose Place-style tangent. Let the characters talk, explore, and care even remotely about why everything is so bizarre, and let them LEARN SOMETHING. Go back to Black Rock. Try to explore the security system's infrastructure. Go to the other stations intentionally instead of accidentally. Give us something about Walt and Michael after they left. Give us serious internal conflict between the "names" and the "no-names." Aren't they sick of sitting around on a beach while Jack and Co. fight pirates and polar bears? Bring on Lord of the Flies mayhem.

For real: It will never happen. The producers' explanations of their goals for the show make it very clear that they are hellbent on ruining everything that was compelling about it. They don't have the imagination or skill to pull it all off and, on top of all of that, they have also made it clear that they disdain the majority of their audience. So, despite its potential, "Lost" is halfway down the spiral and never returning. I suggest you follow myself and 10 million other viewers by turning your back now before the producers waste more of your time.

Absoutely, 100%, agree. And yet I can't stop watching it in the vain hope that they fix it and give us a real ending. :(

Also why did Des go upto Charlie in the street saying hes seen him before? but Charlie didnt have a clue. That bit was made out to be after the island and them two were off it. Maybe it was Des seeing into the future ?

Anyone else shine any light on it ?

I see where you are coming from here but if it was the future then surely Charlie would know who Des was?

Back
Top Bottom