1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Liverpool ALLOWED to defend CL title...

Discussion in 'Football' started by Tim7, 10 June 2005.

1. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Good luck guys!

2. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    The assholes are robbing our TV revenue money. And we need everything we can get since Glazer has arrived.

3. Joystick

Joystick Deep like Titanic

10 August 2004
    London
    The Arse
    "Splitting the money five ways rather than four could mean Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton losing as much as £5m each."

Cheeky Scousers! Always on the rob! :)

4. Clockender

Clockender is back...but for how long?

27 November 2001
    East Lower, Block 13
    Arsenal FC
    :) But I am glad they are in, its the right thing to do.

5. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    YOU GUYS!! YOU GUYS!! :D This is TOTALLY tits!!

6. Clockender

Clockender is back...but for how long?

27 November 2001
    East Lower, Block 13
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently it now says they will get a smaller slice of the TV revenue, and they may get to meet either Man U or Everton in the 3rd qualifying round!!

7. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    What aload of bollocks i cant believe they havnt give us your UEFA cup place surley that would be the right thing to do aswell!

8. Nickybaker

Nickybaker You want SEVEN?

15 October 2003
    Essex
    The one and only Arsenal
    Come someone move those straws away from Jamie_mack otherwise he's going to just keep on clutching at them ;)

9. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    Its gonna be a long season...

10. Nickybaker

Nickybaker You want SEVEN?

15 October 2003
    Essex
    The one and only Arsenal
    Not if Široki Brijeg knock you out in the first qualifying stage!!!! ;)

11. Spawn_68

Spawn_68 Unstoppable !

25 December 2002
    Germany
    oh come on , in the first round ? well , seems like they have to chancel the whole pre-season and even then it will need a lot of work to reach the championsleague again, having to play and win 6 games shurely isn't what i would call "allow the champion to defend his title" ...

12. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    I dont really understand the reason why Man City dont get the UEFA cup spot. Why not if theres a team missing in the competition?

13. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    exactly! Not that im agaist you getting your CL place its just that its not even about defending the title if Liverpool had won the UEFA cup this year and finished 4th therfore qualifying for the CL Im sure you wouldnt turn around then and say no we dont want the CL we want to defend our UEFA cup title....

14. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    Also if they have made another spot in the Champs League Quals for us who are we gonna play? Surely another team needs to be added

15. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Or maybe a team will be taken out of the CL and given a UEFA cup spot.

16. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    I think they also dont want to give the UEFA spot to another English team beacuse it wont be fair on other countries as there would be more ENglish teams than any other country.

17. Pires7

Pires7 Jumpers For Goalposts

28 July 2003
    London
    Arsenal
    You do know that they can come up against another English club, coz theyre not seeded. So we might not have 5 teams in.

18. LemonJelly

LemonJelly Bungie's Bitch Staff

28 August 2002
    UK
    I am pleased Liverpool get to defend BUT I don't think it is the right decision. The rules were known to Liverpool before the start of the season, finish in the top 4 for Champions League football next season. Dudek said in his interview after the game that they were not concentrating on the Premiership, just the CL. Well if that is the case then you can't complain if you win it and not qualify in the League.

I'm all for the rule to change, but I don't really think it should have been changed this season. I also wonder whether if it was a lesser known team that won, say a team from Turkey, whether this decision would have been made.

19. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    But it wouldnt be extra UEFA cup spot now we have one team less in that competition.

20. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    But they do avoid each other, it is possible that we have two english teams together in the same group stage?

21. ClassicD

ClassicD Galáctico

11 November 2001
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    A farce.

Liverpool knew the criteria for qualifying, they failed to meet it, end of. Sure it'd be nice to have the holders defend their title, but tuff shit I say. Now, a team has to drop out to accomodate them (how else would they do it?), not to mention Liverpool's seeding will have a knock-on effect for every other team seeded below them (it looks like Sporting Lisbon will be moved down a pot, for example). I think Fenerbahce must now play a qualifying round instead of being in at the group stage.

Not to mention the TV revenue which they are going to subtract from the other English sides - Everton worked hard all season and earned their place, now they'll be £5m down, is that fair?

What about Real Zaragoza years ago, they missed out on CL money which was rightfully theirs by way of league position so Real Madrid could get in, how must they feel?

If Liverpool were to be included, the FA should have been made to punt one of the 4 sides who had already qualified, this is taking the piss. The Spanish FA were forced to do this in the Zaragoza/Madrid case, yet UEFA change the rules when they feel like it.

Look at this:

So why aren't they doing this NOW?

Can't say I'll be too upset if Liverpool take a pumping off someone next season...

Last edited: 10 June 2005
  22. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    I read that the further you progress in the CL, the more TV revenue you get so smaller teams like Everton could lose upto £15million if Liverpoolget past the group stages.

23. Ike

Ike permaninizated

18 March 2003
    Fully agree with ClassicD.

24. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Liverpool came 5th. End of story.

25. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Still feeling bitter after the final? ;)

But you're right. Liverpool knew the rules and they knew they didnt qualify so why complain?
    Cuz then teams in the future are gonna find new excuses to enter the competition through the back door.

26. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    bah... Liverpool ended 5th, the regulations clearly stated that the champion does NOT get an automatic place. what a bunch of crap! UEFA changed the rules as they want. It's unfair to other countries if england do happen to have 5 teams in the CL!

Nothing against Lpool or Lpool fans, but I hope you lose on the first round.
    (don't ban me CWright:))

27. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Lets be realistic. Liverpool arent gonna lose in the first round. CWright would probably ban himself if they lose in the first round.

28. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    London -> New York -> San Francisco
    Liverpool FC
    Six games? Thats harsh...
    I guess thats the league's down the drain next year.... :(

I fear we'll miss out again on the CL spot and theres a risk that we'll not defend the cup this time round. We'll be back to square -1......

Last edited: 10 June 2005
  29. ClassicD

ClassicD Galáctico

11 November 2001
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    Harsh that you need to play six games to get into the CL?

What about the team which isn't even given that opportunity, a team that will no doubt be a CHAMPION of their domestic league (some small place like Andorra or somewhere)?

This decision is a disgrace, but what's worse is Liverpool fans who are actually not even satisfied with it.

30. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Yeah. I mean, Liverpool shouldnt even be in the competition yet some fans still complain.
    But this means that Liverpool's season start in just weeks.