"Like" button

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Right, I've only been back a few days, but in my absence of however many years (bar the odd pop back on my birthday to make sure someone posts in the birthday thread, even if that person has to be me) - I've found myself with the Facebook bug of wanting to "like" posts.

Sometimes I just want to click "like" rather than reply saying "I like that", which is a bit of a waste of a post.

Now unless I'm going mad, there is already a system like this used on a few forums, but it's something like "appreciation", I think? Basically a plus or a minus button, or something (yes I realise how incredibly detailed and helpful I'm being here).

I was just thinking, I'd really like to see something like this implemented, even if just the positive button alá Facebook (to stop trolls and idiots in general).

Give it your consideration kind sirs!

Some other forums have a function to say "Thank you" for a post, with brings the same result. I would appreciate such a button, too, because of the same arguments as Chris.

Yep, I'm on AVForums a lot and they have the thanks button. It's nice to thank posts that are helpful, insightful or simply because you agree with what has been written.

Awesome idea! I'd LOVE that.

Let's have a 'like' button just like face-book if possible. There are quite a few times when you see a post and like you said, you don't want to reply even but just want to press 'like' as if to say, "Nicely said" or well done or I agree.

If it's only positive, i agree. What i don't want is a "i don't like"-button.
Negative feedback without explanation is never nice to get, for nobody.

If we are gonna get it, I personally think to have a 'like' button makes more sense than 'thanks'.

Quite a few times, I'll read something and I want to give it a thumbs up kind of thing, not say thanks but a way to show or say: "I hear what you're saying."

Can we have a 'like' 'Thanks' and 'I hear what you're saying Button'?

I would like to distinguish between them, I think it is important.

Can we have a 'like' 'Thanks' and 'I hear what you're saying Button'?

I would like to distinguish between them, I think it is important.

Also, a TROLL button, so we can have another way for Mods and Admins to know who to block or who is chatting random shit for no reason..

I like the idea (hah!) and a thanks button has been requested before but I'm reluctant to add new features to the forum at the moment because it increases our dependence on the current (already very dated) forum software. Try using the site on an iPad (other tablets are available) and you'll see what I mean.

Incidentally, "like" functionality is built in to the other option I floated a while back. I know peeps weren't grabbed by the design (which can be easily fettled with) but the whole interface is much nicer to use. Don't fear change!

Maybe it's better to keep the current system and tart it up but it makes modernising other parts (like the front page of the site) so much harder - that's mainly something affecting me I appreciate but the effects are what you see now.

I may have gone slightly off-topic. What was the question again?

Yes, although its current development state isn't entirely confidence building.

I say go for it when you think the software is ready.

The site could do with fresher look I think (no offence!) and if XenForo brings added functionality then all the better. Folk will get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom