1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Le Championnat

Discussion in 'Football' started by Professor Nutmeg, 11 January 2005.

1. Professor Nutmeg

Professor Nutmeg ML Fanatic

3 July 2002
    Master League
    I like French football, so i'm going to talk about it. ;) Those likeminded, feel free to join in.

Anyone see any coverage of the Coupe de France? Some good games/interesting results, notably, Marseille (the most successful French Cup side) losing at home to Ligue 2 side Angers (2-3). Non league amateurs, Nimes beating Saint-Etienne (the 2nd most successful French Cup side) 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down........oh and maybe Seysinet Pariset 0 - 7 Monaco. :mrgreen:

Vive la difference! :)

2. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    What's your favourite French team Prof??? I always liked Nantes and at the moment i'm fond of Metz because my favourite French player (Riberry) is playing for them and because they have loads of youngsters.
    Till five years ago i lived in Gent which is only an hour away from Lille, so once in a while i went to see matches of LOSC but then they were a bad team. Now they seem rather good.

But of course the best French team is Lyon. I think they could surprise in the CL.

The thing i like the best about French football is the fact that French clubs have lots of (very promising) African players.

3. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Hi gerd. Yeah, Lille seem to go up and down. A few years ago they were in the Champions League, then after that, nothing special. But now they're enjoying a good run in 2nd spot.

Maybe an odd choice, but i've always kind of like PSG. I think it's because i like Paris as a city, and i loved seeing Okocha and Ronaldinho together (01-02 season). Many players have passed through PSG too, including Stéphane Dalmat, who i've always liked. Having said that, St Etienne are a classic side aren't they. They're clawing their way back to the big time, trying to rediscover their glory years. They were in trouble earlier on in the season, but they've notched up a few places now. Sochaux always seem to have an interesting squad too.
    I like to look at the smaller teams too, like SC Bastia etc, and see the upcoming talents. And yes, a good pool of young African players to see as well.

4. denirobob

denirobob IBERIAN PRIMERA

28 June 2002
    Henley, Oxfordshire
    hi chaps

Love ligue 1 and french footie in general. Not keen on Channel 4 though who seem to have bought the rights from Eurosport who covered it v well last year and stick matches on at 3am!

Hopefully Eurosport will continue to show the French Cup though.

Don't have a Fav team really, but have always been fond of Bordeaux, especially when they had the Feinduno and Darcheville partnership last season.

Db

5. STR

STR .

15 April 2003
    Rarely get to watch it but enjoy reading up on it and watching the odd game immensely. Like gerd, I love the youth policies of a lot of clubs (which also explains my fondness of Sevilla and Atalanta).

Don't have any particular favourites either but I've always liked Sochaux (Mathieu).

I lie Bordeaux too Bob. They have one of the best young midfielders in Mavuba and Chamakh's geat too (so like Pauleta).

6. cfdh_edmundo

cfdh_edmundo Maverick

30 December 2002
    Just to let people know, if you have Sky (UK) you can now watch some live Ligue 1 matches on Record TV (Brazilian Channel) most weekends (Saturday and Sunday) - eg at the moment its showing PSG v Toulouse (KO was 7-00pm) (Channel Number is 830 - But the commentary is Portuguese). There is one tomorrow to (a vivo = live match), probably Marseille v Nice.

7. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Thanks man, i'll flick between that and Reggina vs Inter.

Do you know of a timetable stating which Ligue 1 matches and when they show them?

cheers

8. cfdh_edmundo

cfdh_edmundo Maverick

30 December 2002
    Nah, there might be one on the net but i just use the sky guide and press the info button, it doesnt say who is playing but if it says "a vivo" it means the match is live.

9. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    That Mourad Meghni has been quite good in Serie A.... he might really be what people say... the new Zidane.

And where is Stephane Dalmat now? Last time i remember was at Inter.

10. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Dalmat is at Toulouse FC.

Meghni has had that tag for a couple of seasons now. He ought to grow into it, or he'll become the next Jocelyn Blanchard.

11. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    He has to make that big move. I think Juve is the team hes heading to soon.

12. denirobob

28 June 2002
    Henley, Oxfordshire

hi mate, excellent news!

It'll be a damn site better than that fat orange chap Raul Gil that and that newspresenter who over emphasises his mouth movements when he speaks.

cheers

Db

13. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    That's what Blanchard did too. He'll have to be careful.

14. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Anyway, an in form french man right now is Vikash Dhorasoo :D Hes better than Zidane ;)

15. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    More Ligue 1 now at 18:00 GMT on Sky channel 830

Footy overload. 2 La Liga matches, a Serie A match and a Ligue 1 match, all on this evening. Plus a Serie A game and Premiership game earlier today. :shock:

16. 1860 London

1860 London Guest

They do french football on ITV1 on wednesday but it is late at night between 3 - 4 am.

17. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Yeah i know, but it's a bit of an antisocial hour really ;) It's better live too.

The live game on now is AJ Auxerre vs Sochaux.

Last edited: 16 January 2005
  18. denirobob

28 June 2002
    Henley, Oxfordshire

hi mate

this is a bit of a swizz actually as this game is from yesterday

wont tell u the score though ;)

db

19. MehFt

MehFt Guest

I'm a Lyon fan, it's a shame I can never watch any live games though.

20. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    You're right, what a swizz! They should have shown the south coast Marseille v Nice derby.

Still, good to know they show Ligue 1.

Dommage..

21. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    Milanista, i'm quite fond of Dhorasoo...
    Did anyone watch the Auxerre-Sochaux match. Pieroni plays for Auxerre. Last year he become top scorer in Belgium, he was a lower division player before that. He was the surprise player of that season. I wonder how he did, usually he's a substitute, but if he comes on he scores fairly regularly.

About Lyon, very very good team, could be this years surprise package in the CL.

22. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Saint-Etienne vs PSG is on Sky Channel 830 at 19:15 this evening. ;)

23. ScottBrown

ScottBrown Conference

5 August 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Let's hope its live this time.

Going slightly off-topic, they also show Brazil Paulista matches. Palmeiras V Santo André tommorow evening at 5:50

Last edited: 22 January 2005
  24. denirobob

28 June 2002
    Henley, Oxfordshire
    yep def live tonight, hopefully lille v lyon will be on tomorrow too. Shame they are clearly commentating from a tv studio in Brazil... reminds me of Football Italia on Channel 4 and ray wilkins.........good afternoon Peter good afternoon everybody etc..

25. ScottBrown

ScottBrown Conference

5 August 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Yeah it does sound bad and the scores keep coming along the bottom of the screen. I should stop moaning, its better than nothing.

26. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Well well. Lille have closed the gap to 3 points. Lille 2-1 Lyon.

27. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Even though Milan lost on the weekend to Livorno..... his performance was excellent. Very quick and determined. Hes a very clean player who is very good at evading challenges. Suprise signing of the year for me :D

28. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    Last year i saw him in the CL match against Anderlecht (in Lyon) and i was impressed by him, he was easily the best player on the field. I had never heard of him before. Since then i followed him a litle bit and i have to say i'm not that surprised Milan bought him. Does anyone happen to know where he played before Lyon???

29. denirobob

28 June 2002
    Henley, Oxfordshire
    hi mate, he was at Lyon then went on loan to Bordeaux for a year i think, before coming back.

Db

30. Professor Nutmeg

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Does anyone know if the Marseille vs Sochaux game is on Record TV tonight? (Sky ch 830) :)