Last Ditch Effort - Help Needed!

xPJRx

PESFX
17 November 2010
London, Uk
Liverpool FC
Right guys, constructive feedback and help required here...
Im so close to ditching PES11 for good, for many reasons, the main one being that its a chore to play lately rather than being enjoyable.
For me the game has so many limiting flaws that the game play experience is seriously hampered, but I so badly want to play and love this game and get 20+ seasons out of my Master League that Im willing to try anything.

My main gripes, aside from all the 'bugs' in the game are:

- Dribbling - How on earth do you dribble past players, i ALWAYS seem to be just brushed off the ball by any CPU player, do you use close control buttons? L2? R2 etc?

- Every single time i send a forward through for a 1 on 1 at goal the CPU defender catches up with him every single time, even if I have a pacy forward and a 5 yard head start on the defender... very annoying... How do you get round this?

- AI Pressure - is ridiculous!!!!! as soon as you get the ball especially in the final third, the CPU pressure is ramped up to where you have 3 or 4 players chase you down immediately, this happens full on for 90 mins, giving you NO time whatsoever to use creative passing midfielders, you just have to ping pong the ball about before you are harassed and ambushed.
How do you experienced players that are having success with the game counter this or play against it?

I play on game speed either -1 or 0, on professional Level and play as my master league team, with ratings of between 58 and 75.

Any help would be most appreciated and could potentially save the game for me

Thanks in advance.

My advice is to sell it!

Go on, the game is too flawed for your excellent skills, the game is too broken for you to be able to beat players. Your amazing control of the pad is not enough for you to be able to get past a man.

No, you are god, it's not your fault, it's the game!!:

YouTube - PES 2011 Demo Dribbling!

Also the game is clearly broken why should i have to press and hold the R2 button before receiving it to make sure my first touch is the the exact direction i want? Why do i have to use this when conserving possession in the midfield and making sure the opposition dosen't get it? It should eb automtic and it should telepathically do what i want, i also what Bergkamp like control on my first touch!

It's a flaw i have to use the R1 + R2 button to knock the ball ahead of me when sprinting away from defenders or tapping R1 while running in a straight line! The game is broken, it should b like in PES 2010, PES 6 and FIFA 09 where you simply hold down the sprint button and WHOOOSH!!

It's not you, it's all the game's fault. it's too broken. Sell it!!!

lol Klashman.

quick question though...i havent used the r1 + r2 knock on in a while but are you meant to hold one button first then move and press the other one. coz ive noticed if i press them at the same time and hold a direction it just does close dribble rather than knock on. i assume i have to sprint first then press special control to get the knock on. i have done it many times before but now i prefer just tapping the sprint button for a more controlled and shorter knock on

Here's a quick pointer man, if you want to get a quick burst of pace, push the analog stick forward relative to your player and tap R1. Here's the tricky part though, you have to release the stick as your player sprints with the ball forward, otherwise he won't have the same burst of acceleration. It's hard to explain, but just try releasing the stick as you sprint away with the ball. As for R2, try little taps of the trigger. If you depress the trigger all the way down your player will take a heavy touch. I'm sure you've read plenty about using R2, so try it out. As Jimmy says, it is the trigger that unlocks the game.

My main gripes, aside from all the 'bugs' in the game are:

- Dribbling - How on earth do you dribble past players, i ALWAYS seem to be just brushed off the ball by any CPU player, do you use close control buttons? L2? R2 etc?

- Every single time i send a forward through for a 1 on 1 at goal the CPU defender catches up with him every single time, even if I have a pacy forward and a 5 yard head start on the defender... very annoying... How do you get round this?

- AI Pressure - is ridiculous!!!!! as soon as you get the ball especially in the final third, the CPU pressure is ramped up to where you have 3 or 4 players chase you down immediately, this happens full on for 90 mins, giving you NO time whatsoever to use creative passing midfielders, you just have to ping pong the ball about before you are harassed and ambushed.
How do you experienced players that are having success with the game counter this or play against it?

Don't worry about Klashman. He don't like people noticing that the game is in an incomplete/faulty state and immediately assumes anyone that complains about it is a complete n00b.

This game is not all about dribbling in the same way that PES 4 - PES 2009 were. Really, what you want to be doing is pulling the quick passing movements. If u feel the need to create a bit of space by taking a player or two on, then you want to be altering your pace by letting go of LB button, and doing the odd twist-turn using RT. Other than that there are still a few god players such as Messi who can just run past defenders the old fashioned way (without letting go of LB much).

You don't get around it. Unless you really are right through, the defenders will catch u and put pressure on making getting a good shot away very unlikely. Back to the drawing board I am afraid. Look to hold on to the ball and recycle it for a new opportunity. Of course, there are still plenty times that you really do get through 1-1. When those times come, and if you are unsure of the shooting system, a good tip would be to just tap the shoot button lightly when your player is running onto ball, release the run (LB) button, and then apply your aftertouch (diagonally towards goal). Depending on your angle there is also the RT place shot.

Be patient and deploy the twist-turn tactics and the game will open up for you. Another good tip is to ensure that you have at least one WF. This always provides for a great deal of attacking opportunites. Don't be afraid to try and find your WF with a big lofted pass either.

Here's a quick pointer man, if you want to get a quick burst of pace, push the analog stick forward relative to your player and tap R1. Here's the tricky part though, you have to release the stick as your player sprints with the ball forward, otherwise he won't have the same burst of acceleration. It's hard to explain, but just try releasing the stick as you sprint away with the ball. As for R2, try little taps of the trigger. If you depress the trigger all the way down your player will take a heavy touch. I'm sure you've read plenty about using R2, so try it out. As Jimmy says, it is the trigger that unlocks the game.

Thanks for the tips dude. I will try them out tonight. I remapped R2 to L2 - well LT on my controller ;) So you're saying that special control button can also be tapped for short bursts - do you mean while sprinting tap the special control button for an L2 + R2 knock on effect but at a shorter knock on distance? Or do you mean tap special control on its own?

I will check it out...but yes I find the special control button fantastic at close dribbling and manouevering - more noticeable with guys who have the skills to pull it off. This is where FIFA's lack of personality in each player falls down. I traded in FIFA 11 last night for Kinect Sports...just trying to build my MLO team but loving the game (the majority of the time!)

thanks mate

Thanks for the tips dude. I will try them out tonight. I remapped R2 to L2 - well LT on my controller ;) So you're saying that special control button can also be tapped for short bursts - do you mean while sprinting tap the special control button for an L2 + R2 knock on effect but at a shorter knock on distance? Or do you mean tap special control on its own?

I will check it out...but yes I find the special control button fantastic at close dribbling and manouevering - more noticeable with guys who have the skills to pull it off. This is where FIFA's lack of personality in each player falls down. I traded in FIFA 11 last night for Kinect Sports...just trying to build my MLO team but loving the game (the majority of the time!)

thanks mate

You use R1 for the short burst. The player won't send the ball forward as much as if you used R1+R2 (on default mapping).

Sorry about the confusion with R2, you tap R2 to make sharper turns after you've controlled the ball.

So on your controls Calcio, you would use L2 + R1 for the "heavy" knock on, where the ball gets knocked forward almost 10 PES meters, while just using R1 will grant you a shorter burst and your player takes less time to catch up to the ball. Just remember to release the stick after tapping R1, you have to get a hang of how it works.

I understand Klash's frustration, but maybe it would be more constructive to help other players learn how to play the game rather than bringing out the "you don't get it" line. Some of us posters do understand the game better than others, and since evo-web is the go-to place to have a mature discussion about PES, we should do others a favor and help them when they need it. This is not criticism directed at Klash; in fact I think he is one of the more constructive posters on this forum. So good job by Rob, Jimmy, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Constructive feedback Bill, much appreciated, will certainly use the R1 and let go of the stick method later and see how it goes.

Klashman - usually i wouldn't even bother replying to a post as immature as yours but for once I feel I will justify why i asked for some help here.
Firstly, im 31, not 13, played footy professionally and at a high level for years, have a sound understanding of the game, have Played PES since PES3, and DONT think the game should telepathically know what i want to do and do it for me, i like a challenge, my main gripe was that the game IS flawed in many ways, that's a fact, only a blinkered fanboy would argue against that. Its a great game sure, but it has many issues also.
So in future perhaps have a think about what you reply with and try and help out other gamers who want to get the same level of enjoyment from the game as you obviously do.

As for your demo dribbling video, thats the demo, the actual game is vastly different therefore renders it redundant.

Again thanks to those who took the time to post a decent reply.

Last edited:
If you mean after touch in the Sensible Soccer style then no, there is no after touch in PES and never has been.

sensible soccer!! what a game!!lol
I think by 'After touch' he meant once the shot has powered up then you hold the direction for where you want the shot to go, or the curl you wish to put on it, not as in 180 degree banana shots a la sensible soccer stylee!!

shows ya wot u know!
I'll assume this post was done on a mobile due to the spelling etc.

"Aftertouch" is, in my mind, the ability to affect the flight of the ball after touching it (hence the name "after touch").

As I and Jamezinho have pointed out, this type of thing has never been in PES, not even PES1 on PS2... I think ISS 2000 for PS1 may have had it, that's the last time Konami have included aftertouch in a football game.

In PES 2011 you can only affect the flight/trajectory of the ball in these ways;

Passing;
Aim left analog stick towards the intended target.
Hold down button to decide the velocity/range of the pass.
Hold R2 (on lofted passes/crosses) to add more elevation and make the ball float more.
Finally, the direction of the pass in relation to your player's posture, momentum and technique.

Shooting;
Aim left analog stick towards a corner (i.e. directly up or directly down) or release the stick to aim down the middle. From my experience holding diagonally or away from goal has no effect - you can't attempt "safe" shots into a side of the goal without aiming for just inside the post.
Hold down shot button to decide the height of the shot (it's not a "power" bar, it's a height bar).
Then there's the L1 lob, R1 dink and R2 controlled shots.
Curl/backspin is entirely reliant on posture/momentum/technique.

Rambled on a bit there :P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Constructive feedback Bill, much appreciated, will certainly use the R1 and let go of the stick method later and see how it goes.

Klashman - usually i wouldn't even bother replying to a post as immature as yours but for once I feel I will justify why i asked for some help here.
Firstly, im 31, not 13, played footy professionally and at a high level for years, have a sound understanding of the game, have Played PES since PES3, and DONT think the game should telepathically know what i want to do and do it for me, i like a challenge, my main gripe was that the game IS flawed in many ways, that's a fact, only a blinkered fanboy would argue against that. Its a great game sure, but it has many issues also.
So in future perhaps have a think about what you reply with and try and help out other gamers who want to get the same level of enjoyment from the game as you obviously do.

Hello, can i start in saying it's just a game! Why you have to feel to bash the game so much and claim errors which aren't there and is things which can be eliminated by just experimenting?

My level of understanding isn't some divine genius, or that I'm gifted or some other crap. I just experimented with all aspects of the game and tried different things rather getting easily frustrated!

Take Mortal kombat on the mega drive in the early 90's, at first you will suck at the game since it's got a very, very steep learning curve, but you experiment and get better. Sorry i don't understand this culture where people bash the game because it dosen't hand everything on a plate to you.

Why do you even need telling how to direct your first touch? or how to sprint faster with the ball?

Watch Theo Walcott's goal vs Shakhtar Donesk away and it explains konami's common sense philosophy and those who moan about the 'sprint catchup' are those who are too used to holding R1 down with fast players and wheeling away on a rain for an easy goal!

If I'm correct when Theo takes about 3 touches in total from the halfway line to 19 yards out where he slots home, when you hold R1+R2 or tap R1 you take less touches and your able to run at almost top speed, rather than with R1 where you simply run at a faster pace.

Sorry but it seems everyone wants a PES 6 clone and also whats to bash 'flaws' which aren't there, rather than focus on the real big flaw which is animation content (not enough animations) and animation complexity and transition (many of the animations don't blend well).

As for your demo dribbling video, that's the demo, the actual game is vastly different therefore renders it redundant.

Your correct that the demo is vastly different that the full game or 1.02 version. The current version makes it a lot easier to get round players compared to the demo! Ont he demo 8/10 when i beat a player i was fouled. On the current versions, you get fouled at lot less, so it's easier!

Last edited:
I'll assume this post was done on a mobile due to the spelling etc.

"Aftertouch" is, in my mind, the ability to affect the flight of the ball after touching it (hence the name "after touch").

As I and Jamezinho have pointed out, this type of thing has never been in PES, not even PES1 on PS2... I think ISS 2000 for PS1 may have had it, that's the last time Konami have included aftertouch in a football game.

In PES 2011 you can only affect the flight/trajectory of the ball in these ways;

Passing;
Aim left analog stick towards the intended target.
Hold down button to decide the velocity/range of the pass.
Hold R2 (on lofted passes/crosses) to add more elevation and make the ball float more.
Finally, the direction of the pass in relation to your player's posture, momentum and technique.

Shooting;
Aim left analog stick towards a corner (i.e. directly up or directly down) or release the stick to aim down the middle. From my experience holding diagonally or away from goal has no effect - you can't attempt "safe" shots into a side of the goal without aiming for just inside the post.
Hold down shot button to decide the height of the shot (it's not a "power" bar, it's a height bar).
Curl/backspin is entirely reliant on posture/technique.

Rambled on a bit there :P.

You forgot one!

the knuckle shot!

Press the shoot button then as soon as the shooting gauge disappears or just as he hits the ball, press the shot button again!

You forgot one!

the knuckle shot!

Press the shoot button then as soon as the shooting gauge disappears or just as he hits the ball, press the shot button again!
I thought about including that, but I have not yet managed to pull it off ONCE!

Even in training mode I can't do it, maybe I just suck :P.

You forgot one!

the knuckle shot!

Can someone enlighten me as to what the fuck a 'knuckle shot' is? It's a term I've never heard used in relation to football anyway.

Video evidence would be nice.

sensible soccer!! what a game!!lol
I think by 'After touch' he meant once the shot has powered up then you hold the direction for where you want the shot to go, or the curl you wish to put on it, not as in 180 degree banana shots a la sensible soccer stylee!!

Yes.

Nice to see someone who excercises common sense instead of looking for chances to pick on people due to slight imprecisions in how they tell something.

Perhaps I should have said the 'before touch', in order to influence velocity and trajectory of the ball.

However, after touch does exist in PES with the lofted passes, whereby the trajectory and swing of the lofted pass is influenced in mid air.

Shooting;
Curl/backspin is entirely reliant on posture/momentum/technique.

Providing you have tee'd up your shot correctly, pushing forward or backwards (I tend to opt for diagonals (perhaps erroneously)) JUST BEFORE your player strikes the ball will/can influence trajectory. It is a similar 'rule' as applies to the penalties except much more subtle and of course the end product also depends on a whole lot of other factors as well. Most people tend to always push towards the goal which is why many shots results in those infamous ugly lofted shots, unless the ball is struck by Ibrahimovic and/or all the other important factors involved in shooting were in place. This is also what causes so much confusion when people are not aware of the nicieties involed in good shooting and one time they can hit a screamer, the next time do the same thing (in thier heads) and hit a floater into row Z.

Basically it's what that gay prick from real madrid does......

He's got a lot more money than you!

Last edited:
Unlike FIFA where I used to hold diagonally up into the corner I have the found the most accurate shots to be where I move the stick straight up or down (assuming that you're shooting from left to right or right to left). So it's pointing at close to 90 degrees relative to the players direction. The placement of that shot is then context relative (power, stats, controlled shot, normal shot, double tap etc). Sometimes they fly low and hard. Sometimes they go top corner. Sometimes the keeper saves them. But that's the technique I tend to use outside the box...I've had some success with controlled shots. They look great when you pull them off and not had any luck with the L1 chip...they're always too weak lol

Good refereeing from the Webbster there, so many refs would've licked Ronaldo's bumhole and booked the other player lol

Anyway back on topic I'll have to try that knuckleball freekick some time, I've only scored like 2 freekicks ever :/ I'm useless at them, same goes with pens.

Back
Top Bottom