Lami's PES 2012 Playtest - Q&A

Lami you rock! Now that is some Q&A right there, you've done so well, superb collection from our Answering Machine :) I hope you'll get opportunity like that every year from now on, I mean opportunity to answer our questions :>>> good job man

one question is missing though :

did you like it? :COOL:

Last edited:
If there is to be a feedback thread it needs someone to put all the feedback together and spread the feedback into sections and update the first post etc.

Hmmm, put the feedback into concise section consisting bulleted/numbered points. Then it is gonna be easy to be gathered and prioritized based the points made per section.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Lami.
Do you know whether you played the latest and greatest code?

The guys on twitter said the R2 shots curl but you found no curl :(

And we should be able to hit shots like Aguero's 2nd goal against Swansea but without having to hit special button combo's. It looked like a knuckleball of sorts ;)

Lami i would like to read your impressions aswell (or at least that Good/OK/Poor stuff), if you don't mind :P

Thanks for answering all questions, including three of mine which all had positive news attached to them. A lot of positives overall which is good. Not very happy about mostly all shots still being backspin spin. When you thought you saw top spin shots, did you check the replay? Like in 2011 when you think it could be top spin, you look at the replay and it's back spin from a shot where you kick up on the ball sweeping motion... horrible.
Yea, I checked the replay every time I hit a dipping shot. Some where top spins and others were back spins. What I'm not sure about though is if this top spin is random, or skill card dependent, since there's a skill card called Long drive shot or some sort.

Lami you mentioned the problematic volleying is gone. So does that mean things aren't as context sensitive? The reason for the amount of overhead kick/ bicycle volley attempts was that it tried to shoot as soon as you pressed shoot. It was exactly the same for heading in that people complained about too many diving headers but it was simply because you press the button too early and your player reacts at that moment. Likewise for the abundance of backheel passes which was you pressing pass and a direction when you weren't facing your target.

I mean is it still this way? Personally i didn't mind this. The volleying looked stupid and i'm glad to see that is gone but the backheels and diving headers made sense in a way despite them being arguably as odd looking.
It is still this way mate. What I think happened in 2011 is that it was exaggerated. Happened too frequent in addition to the very quick animation that it put us off. I think it is back to normal now, AI probably calculating things better in addition to being context sensitive. Hope this answers your question Gabbidon.

no full manual and no full customisable camera = deal breaker..the camera angles are awful on pes 2011 as is the manual trigger you need to press.
Looks like FIFA dynamic camera full manual for me again
I know what you mean hitman. I understand some would want it in the options to have manual pass set instead of using a combo of L2+pass every time. I think what they're trying to do is have both at our disposal during gameplay.
Thx for asking the guy (is his name guy ? :P). It sounds really good to have official feedback here on Evo-Web.
Yep. This nice and very good fella's name is Guy.
What do you mean by noted?
Thank you Lami, great Q&A! PES is going to be great this year.
Noted as in I took note of it and will pass it to Konami at some point. You can still include it in the feedback thread which should be opened when 2012 is out.
Lami you rock! Now that is some Q&A right there, you've done so well, superb collection from our Answering Machine :) I hope you'll get opportunity like that every year from now on, I mean opportunity to answer our questions :>>> good job man

one question is missing though :

did you like it? :COOL:
Yes mate I did. I was sort of happy and pissed off. Happy because it looks the ironed out version of PES 2011, and pissed off because we should've been playing this the past year. It's not perfect though, as I think no game is, but it is the next-gen PES we want to play.
Thanks very much Lami.
Do you know whether you played the latest and greatest code?

The guys on twitter said the R2 shots curl but you found no curl :(

And we should be able to hit shots like Aguero's 2nd goal against Swansea but without having to hit special button combo's. It looked like a knuckleball of sorts ;)

Not sure its the latest code, no.

R2 does curl shots mate, just not that curl you're looking for. It needs just a little bit more.

Yep! I've done just that a few times, not a lot though. Maybe its certain players who can do that, not sure about that one. But yes, definitely hit a few and some of them bounced before the GK.

Lami i would like to read your impressions aswell (or at least that Good/OK/Poor stuff), if you don't mind :P

Tbh lukas I'm trying to stay away from judging the game. I don't think 10-15 games is enough for that. We all know how PES is regarding this. In my PS2 days, I've always disliked it for the first 2 weeks, then suddenly fall in love with it after getting used to it.

We do need weeks of gameplay to properly judge any game imo. I don't really want to go down that route at this stage. What I can say is, this game was supposed to be released last year. Last year's game was a good one but needed fixing. I know most games have bugs and always need fixing, but we know next-gen PES have had problems with things that weren't problems back then when we were glorifying it in the PS2 era. This one feels like its the least bug-ridden, and the one that has most of the things that we had back then, plus all the newly added, plus next-gen visuals and gameplay etc. So I feel this is the game that should carry the torch from PES 5/6. The only thing left for me though is the animations department. They're very good ones, but they can be better imo.

I hope any of this makes sense :LOL:

I used Wide first, then Long (I think its called), then the rest switching between pitch-side and long. I've always played PES on long so that's always been my preferred camera. This newly introduced pitch-side cam is a neat addition. I enjoyed it and I think I'll be using it much more when the game is out. I still wish we have angles 1-9 back though.

Thanks Jovanotto ;)

Appreciate the feedback. The prospect of a ball that bounces before the keeper is great. Hopefully the curl is increased a bit too.

Just waiting for some more news later on from Gamescom :)

I used Wide first, then Long (I think its called), then the rest switching between pitch-side and long. I've always played PES on long so that's always been my preferred camera. This newly introduced pitch-side cam is a neat addition. I enjoyed it and I think I'll be using it much more when the game is out. I still wish we have angles 1-9 back though.

Thanks mate, great effort with responses. This new pitchside camera has me excited - I'm hoping it gives a more broadcast feel to the whole experience. :)

It does I guess. Of course there's the Broadcast cam as well but I've never really liked that one.

It does I guess. Of course there's the Broadcast cam as well but I've never really liked that one.

I prefer the PES broadcast cam to FIFA but I'd like to see more dynamic zoom on them so when you go into the far corners of the pitch you're closer to the action. Or even some kind of camera option where it switches in real time so you're watching it from the other side of the pitch (but now it's the near side of the pitch) if that makes sense?

Well I play Normal Long on PES 2011 and I think it's pretty good. I am about to put up a couple of short highlights from some PES 2011 games I've played with this particular camera, in the video thread.

Yea, I checked the replay every time I hit a dipping shot. Some where top spins and others were back spins. What I'm not sure about though is if this top spin is random, or skill card dependent, since there's a skill card called Long drive shot or some sort.

Well it sounds like it's getting there. In a way I kind of want it to be card specific, this way I can give that card to every player in the game and have more top spin shots :SMUG: Because even if they have long drive shot, accuracy depends on the other attributes I hope.

I prefer the PES broadcast cam to FIFA but I'd like to see more dynamic zoom on them so when you go into the far corners of the pitch you're closer to the action. Or even some kind of camera option where it switches in real time so you're watching it from the other side of the pitch (but now it's the near side of the pitch) if that makes sense?

Well I play Normal Long on PES 2011 and I think it's pretty good. I am about to put up a couple of short highlights from some PES 2011 games I've played with this particular camera, in the video thread.
Yea, that would be cool too but wonder how'd they go about doing it though. Maybe even call it action cam.
Well it sounds like it's getting there. In a way I kind of want it to be card specific, this way I can give that card to every player in the game and have more top spin shots :SMUG: Because even if they have long drive shot, accuracy depends on the other attributes I hope.

I was thinking the same too :LOL: But it's going to be a hell of a hassle adding that to every player in the game...

On second thoughts, I hope it's random or foot connecting to ball of sorts, for players without the skill card, and more topspins for players with the skill card.

EDIT: Wanted to add that long cam is now better too. In 2011 it felt like it lagged a bit.

Last edited:
Hi Lami, thanks for your work.

-Does the Ball interact with objects out of bounds? (eg. bottles cameramen)
-Do the replays playback sound? (shooting, crossbar etc)
-Does a sliding-tackle always aims at the attacker? Is it possible to slide
manually in defense?(eg. L2+circle)
-Does the keeper use his fists more often clearing crosses and hard shots?
-What about the respawn on throw ins and freekicks - are you able to
perform them more quickly and creating superior number of players in
attack?

Thanks for the work, Lami, much appreciated!

By the way, did you notice the usual CPU boost in the last 5 minutes of each half? It's something abusive in the old ML, but sometimes I could feel it also in exhibition mode.

Another one: where bad passers doing passes a little wide or like in Fifa a bad passer simply passes it too slow or to a completely different target? This has a great impact on loose balls. I always thought PES had too few loose balls.

seppovich said:
Hi Lami, thanks for your work.

-Does the Ball interact with objects out of bounds? (eg. bottles cameramen)
Nothing I noticed really.
-Do the replays playback sound? (shooting, crossbar etc)
Nope.
-Does a sliding-tackle always aims at the attacker? Is it possible to slide manually in defense?(eg. L2+circle)
Not sure what this one means mate.
-Does the keeper use his fists more often clearing crosses and hard shots?
Yep.
-What about the respawn on throw ins and freekicks - are you able to perform them more quickly and creating superior number of players in attack?
Not really, unless you play a quick pass in FK like it always is.

Thanks for the work, Lami, much appreciated!

By the way, did you notice the usual CPU boost in the last 5 minutes of each half? It's something abusive in the old ML, but sometimes I could feel it also in exhibition mode.
I think that is still there to an extent in exhibition mode. As with every PES, I'm pretty sure it will be evident in leagues/cups/ML etc, imo.
Another one: where bad passers doing passes a little wide or like in Fifa a bad passer simply passes it too slow or to a completely different target? This has a great impact on loose balls. I always thought PES had too few loose balls.
I think they are still few mate. Your defenders will try and intercept it though. At least they try. But yea, I agree we should see a bit more loose balls with players with lower pass accuracy and teamwork stats.

This pointless half-circle-around-the-ball-animation when running to get a ball, is it gone for good?
Thanks!

i got a question, could you please (if your allowed) post some sets of stats or just some sets without stats so we can see the new principle and the new stats implemented, also i'd like to see if you have a full list of cards or if not could you name some of the new ones.

thx

This pointless half-circle-around-the-ball-animation when running to get a ball, is it gone for good?
Thanks!
Haven't noticed it at all mate so I guess its gone :)
i got a question, could you please (if your allowed) post some sets of stats or just some sets without stats so we can see the new principle and the new stats implemented, also i'd like to see if you have a full list of cards or if not could you name some of the new ones.

thx
They wouldn't let me take pics at all. What I remember is that a few stats have been renamed. When comparing, I remember them being categorized into 4 groups.

Something that bothered me though, is that every time I wanted to check a few players' stats, I'd have to press triangle, have a look, cancel so I can pick another player, triangle again and so on. They should've added a way to quickly switch from player to player without cancelling and pressing triangle every time. Saves a bit of time and makes things easier.

Oh and most skill cards are the same apart from the long drive shot thing as far as I noticed.

I didn't notice anyone asking one important question yet.

Did you notice when you played against the top difficulty that the AI had better stats like in 11?
For example Iniesta pushing you off the ball when controlling drogba and such, or is the AI at last just better in playing and intelligence like it always should be?

one question,can we challange the keeper for high crosses? its been missing from every football game and yet is realistic although 90% a foul is given in favour of the keeper but still be a nice feature

Back
Top Bottom