Konami Announces "Rock Revolution"

Radiation

Golden Boot Winner
6 February 2006
Widnes
Newcastle United
Konami Announces "Rock Revolution"

rockrevolutionlogo.jpg

Seems like everyone is jumping on the music rhythm game bandwagon these days and seeing as Konami was somewhat instrumental in starting the whole genre it makes sense that the would come out with their own answer to Guitar Hero and Rock Band. That answer is Rock Revolution. Rock Revolution is mainly centered around the drumming although there will be guitar and bass available as well. There were no guitars in evidence but they were keen to show off their drum kit which features a total of six drum pads and a pedal. They also made sure to show us how quiet the pads themselves were so we could avoid the problem of "annoying family and neighbors with the constant tapping. I'm sure I have NO idea what they were referring to with that...

The game will be coming out for the PS3, Xbox 360. Wii and the DS with each version having it's own distinct features but all will include a career mode and forty songs to play along with. Oddly, the console versions will not include vocals, but the DS version will. There is no official song list yet, so keep your eyes peeled for more announcements regarding that but I did see a few that were available on the demo which were Blitzkrieg Bop, Detroit Rock city, We're Not Gonna Take It and All The Small Things. There are eight playable characters and various locales ranging from garage to county fair to rock arena. Unfortunately, even though they showed off the drum kit at the presentation, they didn't provide any photos of it so keep an eye for that as well.

Is Rock Revolution going to be a Guitar Hero or Rock Band killer? Probably not, but it will be interesting to see how it actually does in the market. I'm afraid however, that this might be a case of too little too late.

Images

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/rrevolution/1001498014

Jeez... its totally crazy. With RB, GH4 and now this - I bet they dont make the instruments cross-compatible, so you are expecting to not only pay ~£140 for each game, but also somehow store 3 drum kits, guitars etc.

I couldnt believe GH4 was gonna copy RB and go with the same instruments (thinking if people had RB, you wouldnt really want GH4) - but now Konami too. What on earth are their marketing people thinking?!

If you don't already have Rock Band and you see three games in a shop all looking the same, one for £180 and the other two reasonably priced, I can see why you would pick these newcomers.

But there's no way in hell I would buy anything but the original. They have good relationships with the best artists for a start, they're committed to making lots of DLC, and finally I can't roll over in bed without kicking the drumset as it is*, I can't swing a cat in here.

*LITERALLY.

just gonna wait til see the songs it has, because i ain't buyin it if most the songs are unknowns

Cannot understand why anyone would release anything to go up against Rock Band - especially if you are using your own peripherals.

This appears to have no USP (even a cheap selling price would do), it looks dull, the graphics are bad and the song choices sound terrible.

Shame really as Konami invented this genre and I love Guitar Freaks and DrumMania (importing both from Japan for the PS2 at no small cost), but this just sucks.

Ewwwww

The models look too stiff and don't look like they're rocking out at all. It's like the crowd are watching a Disney robotic rock concert.

Im not keen on the way the notes are on screen - the vertical drop means you cant see whats coming until its right in front of you and so you cant prepare your hand to move around and the notes are that small i was having trouble seeing them coming down against the background.

Tracks where pretty crappy as well

Back
Top Bottom