Killing time when leading is a joke

mr5973

League 2
25 April 2002
Vienna, Austria
England
I played a few games today in PES2010 and I had to notice that not only do you NEVER get a penalty but also that when you are leading, killing time until the game is over is a joke: just pass back the ball to your keeper and stop running - no opposite player will ever try to come near to your box or try to steal the ball from your keeper!

I did this in the 70th minute in the first game, no opposite player attacked me! I couldn't believe it so I did it again in the next match when I got the lead in about the 50th minute - the whole second half no opposite player came near my box!

Okay, no big problem, just don't do it if you want a fair game but what did Konami think?! But: a far bigger issue is the penalty problem...

Why would you play football with the intention of drawing penalties? Also there's nothing wrong with playing more conservatively when you've got the lead. Don't you already know that more pressure from the opposing team almost always results in holes in the defense?

Take it off Regular and play on Top Player, then you will be closed down. Regular is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Why would you play football with the intention of drawing penalties? Also there's nothing wrong with playing more conservatively when you've got the lead. Don't you already know that more pressure from the opposing team almost always results in holes in the defense?

He didn't say he was intentionally trying to win penalties, he just said he didn't get any when he should have. The penalty system is broke, simple as that.

As for the GK, on top player they will close you down. But again you're talking about a style of play, keeping the ball when winning, looking for an opening patiently. He's just on about passing it back to the keeper and standing there with it, two different things.

He didn't say he was intentionally trying to win penalties, he just said he didn't get any when he should have. The penalty system is broke, simple as that.

As for the GK, on top player they will close you down. But again you're talking about a style of play, keeping the ball when winning, looking for an opening patiently. He's just on about passing it back to the keeper and standing there with it, two different things.

@just1moreperson: thanks, you got it all right, this was was i was trying to say.

i'm not intentionally trying to win penalties, i just want one rewarded when i get clearly fouled in the box. previous pes games got that right, sometimes you got fouled and got a penalty, sometimes you got fouled and didn't get one - which was alright by me. with pes2010 i played about 100 of games and just got ONE penalty (!), that can't be right!

as for killing time with the goalkeeper standing still: i've been playing on TOP PLAYER since i got the game. try it yourself - pass the ball back to you goalkeeper and stand there with it, no opposite player will ever attack you - isn't that strange?

@just1moreperson: thanks, you got it all right, this was was i was trying to say.

i'm not intentionally trying to win penalties, i just want one rewarded when i get clearly fouled in the box. previous pes games got that right, sometimes you got fouled and got a penalty, sometimes you got fouled and didn't get one - which was alright by me. with pes2010 i played about 100 of games and just got ONE penalty (!), that can't be right!

as for killing time with the goalkeeper standing still: i've been playing on TOP PLAYER since i got the game. try it yourself - pass the ball back to you goalkeeper and stand there with it, no opposite player will ever attack you - isn't that strange?

I agree with both points. Penalties are a joke (as is the new penalty-taking system) and the game is plain broken in this respect. Post-patch I'm still yet to be awarded or concede a penalty. Your second point is another flaw in the game and is not cured by increasing the difficulty level. The AI simply doesn't put enough pressure on my players when I'm in my own half. I don't want the stupid constant, relentless double pressure from the AI like in Fifa but sometimes they should show a bit more urgency to get the ball back.

Both of these issues could be easily fixed with a patch, I'm sure.

I tried it during the first half of a top player game on master league this afternoon and as soon as I stood still with the goaly I was closed down. Maybe there are certain situations the AI will not close you down?

But completely right about the penalties, absolute joke. I never win any but the comp has had half a dozen awarded, they always miss wide left :/

I tried it during the first half of a top player game on master league this afternoon and as soon as I stood still with the goaly I was closed down. Maybe there are certain situations the AI will not close you down?

But completely right about the penalties, absolute joke. I never win any but the comp has had half a dozen awarded, they always miss wide left :/

i played another few games today and in one game i was also closed down this time but in the other two games, i was again not attacked by an opposite striker... strange!

i like the new penalty-taking system actually - it gives you more variety once you got a feeling for it. but to get a feeling you should be given the chance to practise them... ;-) the only chance to practise penalties is to go to the practice area and select "freekicks" and to select the distance within the box.

I agree with both points. Penalties are a joke (as is the new penalty-taking system) and the game is plain broken in this respect. Post-patch I'm still yet to be awarded or concede a penalty. Your second point is another flaw in the game and is not cured by increasing the difficulty level. The AI simply doesn't put enough pressure on my players when I'm in my own half. I don't want the stupid constant, relentless double pressure from the AI like in Fifa but sometimes they should show a bit more urgency to get the ball back.

Both of these issues could be easily fixed with a patch, I'm sure.

Seriously Jamez, you really need to get a 'feel' for them and practice them. IMO they are the best new addition to PES in a long, long time. They are fully manual, you can put the ball where ever you want, you simply couldnt have a better penalty system as far as I'm concerned. Just a shame you dont get awarded enough. Your seriously missing out here by not understanding them mate.

I don't mind the new pk system, even though I never ever got rewarded one :LOL:

I'd prefer a cursor system though, just point the cursor wherever you want and bang it in. But, its not as easy as it sounds. The cursor should be shaky; depending on the penalty taker's stat, the more or less shaky it gets. Shooting with Lampard or that Burnley player shouldn't be a problem, as the cursor would be close to stable, but never completely stable as it can never be perfect. Shooting with Terry on the other hand, cursor should be shaking like a virgin geek on his first night with the olsen twins.

Its not totally my idea though. I've taken it from the darts mini-game in GTA4.

I don't mind the new pk system, even though I never ever got rewarded one :LOL:

I'd prefer a cursor system though, just point the cursor wherever you want and bang it in. But, its not as easy as it sounds. The cursor should be shaky; depending on the penalty taker's stat, the more or less shaky it gets. Shooting with Lampard or that Burnley player shouldn't be a problem, as the cursor would be close to stable, but never completely stable as it can never be perfect. Shooting with Terry on the other hand, cursor should be shaking like a virgin geek on his first night with the olsen twins.

Its not totally my idea though. I've taken it from the darts mini-game in GTA4.

What I like about the manual system that is currently in place is that it does replicate real penalties. It does this by making it risky to try for the corners, but if you go for it, and get it right, then your rewarded. If you play safe with the power and the direction there is a good chance the keeper will save it. Try for the top corner and even if you slightly overhit the direction or power, you will miss the target. It's perfect for me. I love the fact there isnt a cursor. There is no cursor in real life, you have to do what Konami have very cleverly instilled in this new system. I love it.

Myself and MJ had a match go to penalties last week. He put one right into the top corner. And because I knew just what it took to put it there, I really appreciated the technique. He deserved it. It was a brilliant penalty.

Seriously Jamez, you really need to get a 'feel' for them and practice them. IMO they are the best new addition to PES in a long, long time. They are fully manual, you can put the ball where ever you want, you simply couldnt have a better penalty system as far as I'm concerned. Just a shame you dont get awarded enough. Your seriously missing out here by not understanding them mate.

I've practised penalties enough to understand them (in training obviously as I don't get them in matches) but I just don't like the new system. Konami should copy Fifa's penalty system. For me it is nearly perfect. I don't like having to input power/height and position separately, they should be done at the same time. If this was the case I think I would quite like the new system but as it is it feels too unnatural to me.

My bad, I'll have to retract on my previous statement because I feel the same way about penalties in this game. Also I'll agree that the current ingame penalty camera needs to be facing goal rather than hovering over the pitch like it currently does. FIFA currently does penalties very well with placement of penalties and penalties taken with more power but less placement.

Back
Top Bottom