Kicknet - A soccer tennis video game

Doesn't appeal to me but I certainly wish you well! I think it's clear the kids of today want trick shots and power ups and stuff like that so be sure to include those :)

I like that that you DO something (like this)!
You could also add slow motion moments for certain situations!
Or you could let the 2 players interact with each other, nba jam style.
Or go all crazy with low gravity mode, flipping grounds, changing colours or speed ups!
I think it will be tough to be a success when it’s going down Sim road. Go for the fun approach (“over-caricature it?!”) don’t know how to say. Take it to fun extremes. Big head mode included!! :D
Keep us posted how it’s going on in the future! Good work!

Edit: and yes. @Placebo is right. Let em parents bleed for those extra shoes, new balls and tattoos! :LOL:

;))

Edit2: floodlight and night matches.
Crowd, even if only some folks hang around the cage. VR Support.
Move controller support. Level up system. Ranks. Gear to grind. Record logs. COIN TOSS (easy one)!!! :)

Edit3: different sounds for the ball. Different camera angles to choose from. Combo system. Net physics and shape is always a winner! :D multi-ball party mode.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your thoughts and ideas, PRO_TOO.

And you are right; a fun approach is a good idea. That's why besides a realistic/sim mode, I also want to have an arcade one where I can add all types of crazy and fun ideas (like yours).

(I'll post here significant updates to the game for sure, but if you want to know about the smaller ones, you can go to my site, movindot.com, and use the links posted there to follow/subscribe your favorite social site. I may share screenshots or shorts videos on those sites.)

Nice work. You should think about making a Footvolley game as well. I think it would have a lot more appeal.

You should think about making a Footvolley game as well. I think it would have a lot more appeal.
Well, since you've mentioned it, I guess there is no harm in telling that I am planning to add that game too. I didn't want to say anything yet because I'm not sure when (and if) I can incorporate that. My main focus right now is soccer tennis (and I'm promoting it like that for now) because this is what I played since I was a kid and have some experience with it. I never played Footvolley, and I'll have to rely on youtube videos to get the feeling of it. And of course, there is also the added complexity of the sand.

As a third game, besides Soccer Tennis (Futnet) and Footvolley, I'm also thinking about Sepak Takraw. But this is even more different than soccer tennis (and of course never played it), so not sure how well I can make it. But I'll do my best to incorporate all three.

Some nice animations there. What engine did u use?
I'm using Unreal Engine 4. The nice animations (like the movements and scissor kick) are from mixamo.com. I was hoping to be able to buy a motion capture suit and record my animations. But because of lack of funds, unfortunately, I'll need to do all the animation by hand, so I'll not be able to create realistic animations as seen in FIFA or PES. I'll have to go more toward the stylized/simplified look.

Why not fund or patreon that project of yours?! Give people the opportunity to donate. Doesn’t cost a thing to set it up.
Might get you some bucks to buy that equipment!
Keep it up!!

ps: your header doesn’t look worse than FIFA’s!! So you are on a good way... ;)

ps: your header doesn’t look worse than FIFA’s!! So you are on a good way... ;)
Thanks, but the headers are from Mixamo too. The bad animations are mine, though I haven't spent time on them, I just made something quick for testing purposes.

Why not fund or patreon that project of yours?! Give people the opportunity to donate. Doesn’t cost a thing to set it up.
Might get you some bucks to buy that equipment!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Patreon is a good fit for this because that's for a monthly payment and I have nothing to offer to people in return. A one-time donation though it might work, I'm not aware of a site for that, so I might need to add the option to my site.

I think crowdfunding or releasing it on Early Access on Steam might be a better solution. For either that to work I need some fans, people interested in supporting the game and seeing it complete, but for now, that's pretty non-existent.

I'm trying now to find online communities where I can show my project and see if I can get people interested. Right now I've only talked about it here and on another forum. I thought about Reddit too, but I'm a new user there, and I can't go around posting videos just yet. If you know more places where people interested in FIFA/PES/Soccer are gathering, please let me know (PM me if not allowed to post publically).

Wow, this looks promising.
I don't think people will be ready for a sim-like foot tennis game... But for an arcade one, hell yeah! Power-ups, visual effects, maybe also some of those 'oik', blatantly over-the-top moments that will provide a blast while playing it against friends on the couch (you don't even need split screen for that), feel free to add whatever you think will add to the fun (or to the banter).

What I'd do for the gameplay:
  • Adding different surfaces (tarmac, grass, clay, even sand maybe) each with different properties. For example, you wouldn't want to let the ball bounce on the sand would you?
  • Adding different net heights and court sizes (so you could also mimic foot volley, as Gunslinger already suggested)

What I'd do for the longevity:
  • Adding a single-player career mode, with maybe some RPG elements (like you could create your character from scratch or choose him/her from a set of pre-made ones and then level up stamina, accuracy, power, agility and so on through minigames maybe, à la Virtua Tennis, to make him/her unique). You could also think of an ingame currency which you earn by winning matches which will let you "upgrade" your training equipment (better equipment will help you level up faster) or just the visual parts of the player. Different hairstyles and colours, tattoos, shirts/shorts/shoes, wristbands and headbands...
  • Adding the chance to bring your character online against other players, either one-on-one (with an AI-controlled teammate) or two vs. two (think co-op seasons in FIFA).

What I'd do for the immersion:
  • Different venues, from the shore (sand, daylight or sunset, many people watching) to the town park (grass, few people hanging around, also available at night under floodlights) to the indoor court (parquet, stands with crowd, floodlights only as it has a roof)... The world is yours to take inspiration from. Wouldn't you love to play a match in a Maldivian resort, with the court surrounded by palms and nature? I for sure would. :)

Just another suggestion: please don't fall for the pay-to-win sirens. Keep it fair: I have nothing wrong with selling aesthetic/cosmetic upgrades but please don't sell performance boosters or such. Let the players earn those boosters by themselves while playing. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, but the headers are from Mixamo too. The bad animations are mine, though I haven't spent time on them, I just made something quick for testing purposes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Patreon is a good fit for this because that's for a monthly payment and I have nothing to offer to people in return. A one-time donation though it might work, I'm not aware of a site for that, so I might need to add the option to my site.

I think crowdfunding or releasing it on Early Access on Steam might be a better solution. For either that to work I need some fans, people interested in supporting the game and seeing it complete, but for now, that's pretty non-existent.

I'm trying now to find online communities where I can show my project and see if I can get people interested. Right now I've only talked about it here and on another forum. I thought about Reddit too, but I'm a new user there, and I can't go around posting videos just yet. If you know more places where people interested in FIFA/PES/Soccer are gathering, please let me know (PM me if not allowed to post publically).
i dont know much about these donating and funding sites! it was just an idea... but you get what i mean and that's important!

have you tried posting at pesworld, pesuniverse, pesgaming or pesgalaxy!? these are some well know PES sites!
operations sports is a huuuuge community too!

I don't think people will be ready for a sim-like foot tennis game... But for an arcade one, hell yeah!
Yeah, it seems this is wanted by most, so I'll make the arcade mode an important feature.

What I'd do for the gameplay:

• Adding different surfaces (tarmac, grass, clay, even sand maybe) each with different properties. For example, you wouldn't want to let the ball bounce on the sand would you?
    Adding different net heights and court sizes (so you could also mimic foot volley, as Gunslinger already suggested)
Yes, that's one of my big goals too: diversity in court type and size (same for the net).
What I'd do for the longevity:

• Adding a single-player career mode, with maybe some RPG elements (like you could create your character from scratch or choose him/her from a set of pre-made ones and then level up stamina, accuracy, power, agility and so on through minigames maybe, à la Virtua Tennis, to make him/her unique). You could also think of an ingame currency which you earn by winning matches which will let you "upgrade" your training equipment (better equipment will help you level up faster) or just the visual parts of the player. Different hairstyles and colours, tattoos, shirts/shorts/shoes, wristbands and headbands...

Adding the chance to bring your character online against other players, either one-on-one (with an AI-controlled teammate) or two vs. two (think co-op seasons in FIFA).
While a single-player mode would be nice, for now, that's low priority. The main focus is on local and online multiplayer. Maybe I'll work on it after multiplayer is working great, and if I'll get some funding (crowdfunding or selling it as Early Access).

Player customization and various game modes for online play it's a must for me too.

What I'd do for the immersion:

• Different venues, from the shore (sand, daylight or sunset, many people watching) to the town park (grass, few people hanging around, also available at night under floodlights) to the indoor court (parquet, stands with crowd, floodlights only as it has a roof)... The world is yours to take inspiration from. Wouldn't you love to play a match in a Maldivian resort, with the court surrounded by palms and nature? I for sure would. :)
Definitely! I would love that too, and I'm thinking about it. Playing Footvolley with the sea next to the court, seagulls flying around, different time of day, people gathering around... I would love to do all that, but working part-time on the game I'm not sure if I can make it. That's why in 2019 I'm thinking to do a crowdfunding campaign or releasing the game on Early Access (on Steam). Maybe I'll get enough funding to quit my day job and work on the game full-time for at least a whole year. That will be amazing!

Just another suggestion: please don't fall for the pay-to-win sirens. Keep it fair: I have nothing wrong with selling aesthetic/cosmetic upgrades but please don't sell performance boosters or such. Let the players earn those boosters by themselves while playing.
No pay to win or anything else. I hate those too. You'll pay for the game once, and you'll get everything, no micro-transactions. Even the aesthetic/cosmetic features will be included by default in the game.

impressive. if you would like to mainly appeal to pvp you can still insert some stuffs that would make feel more like a journey for an online player or in general after creating your player and playing with him/her.

- have option for 1v1 as well
- earing points with games to level up your player rank (for online matchmaking)
- earing ingame currency for wins, making points during a game, pefroming special moves succesfully
- spending the currency on customizations for the characters (attires, colours etc)
- spending the currency on unlocking special moves (or if you include some stats for the game, improving them)
- spending the currency on buying temporary boosts for your stats ( food, drink, vitamins)
- spending the currency on entering tournaments online where you can win special attires/moves or more ingame points
- spending the currency/special attires or special moves of the same kind for single online play (like playing for money on the street, where winner takes all)
- spending the currency on setting up clubs/teams like currently in Rocket League, even customize the clubs -> special club attire, crest, homeground etc
- of course some items and special moves you could only buy after a certain rank (so you would have to play the game for longer time)

You can even include real money as well and some ball/pack/whatever opening feature like for the big titles to earn money.
Just my suggestion is to make it fair like in Rocket League where you can only get customization this way and you cant buy any advantage like in FIFA, NBA, PES.

I wish you all the best with this!

Thank you, gabe.paul.logan, for taking the time to write your thoughts. I do like the points and rank part, but the currency makes me uneasy. I would rather have items just be unlocked as you progress. I, personally, don't really like virtual currencies in games (except where it actually makes sense, like in all GTA games).

You can even include real money as well and some ball/pack/whatever opening feature like for the big titles to earn money.
This will definitely not do. Instead of taking more money from the same people, I would rather try and do an enjoyable game that more people will buy it.

Just saying even if you skip the real money part. Getting ingame coins to spend it on virtual stuff is still an addicting factor. Every successful game has this feature. Like u mentioned Gta but any open world game or rpg but nowdays sports titles too.

Anyone heard anything regarding this? Are people still interested in it?

Back
Top Bottom