Jay-Z - Decrypt some of his lyrics

ash

DeMinistrator
21 March 2004
London
Man Utd
From his song Encore, I would like to know if anyone can tell me the meaning of the following in bold

So this here is the victory lap

Then I'm lea-vin, that's how you get me back

After a year of them 16's, it's one point two

And that's two point four, and I'm only doin two

You wanted to gain attention new dudes

I can get you BET and TRL too

Cheers, and no need for any haters to post here.

The "16" probably refers to a rap verse, which is known as "sixteen lines"

The "2 point 4" usually means settled at home, married with kids. So maybe the "1 point 2" means he's halfway there (with Beyonce)

I could be wrong, but makes (some) sense to me! Hope this helps...

The "16" probably refers to a rap verse, which is known as "sixteen lines"

The "2 point 4" usually means settled at home, married with kids. So maybe the "1 point 2" means he's halfway there (with Beyonce)

I could be wrong, but makes (some) sense to me! Hope this helps...
LOL!

His talking about riches mate.

From his song Encore, I would like to know if anyone can tell me the meaning of the following in bold

The best idea may be to find who originally wrote said lyrics and find out what they meant, before Jay ripped them. 8)

:D

The best idea may be to find who originally wrote said lyrics and find out what they meant, before Jay ripped them. 8)

:D
I'm not a biter I'm a writer for myself and others
I say a B.I.G. verse, I'm only biggin up my brother
Biggin up my borough, I'm big enough to do it
I'm that thorough, plus I know my own flow is foolish
- Jay-Z

8)

@ashmufc

Sounds like another jay-z rant, but i think he means after doing guest apearances on peoples songs (doing 16 (bars) = verse) hes gonna start charging 1.2 (mil) and then 1.4 (mil) and he will get you famous on mtv and bet and that "You wanna be in the public, send your budget", send the money and he will make you famous.

Peace

@ashmufc

Sounds like another jay-z rant, but i think he means after doing guest apearances on peoples songs (doing 16 (bars) = verse) hes gonna start charging 1.2 (mil) and then 1.4 (mil) and he will get you famous on mtv and bet and that "You wanna be in the public, send your budget", send the money and he will make you famous.

Peace

I don't like Jay-Z as a lyricist. He makes some good songs but his lyrics are pretty much garbage.

Nas
Rakim
Raekwon
GZA
AZ
Cormega
Dead Prez
etc.

are better

Jay-Z is not quite a lyricist.Hes just a big time mainstream rapper.He is successful just because of that.Simmsm88,if you think that Jay's lyrics are pretty much garbage...try listening to P.Diddy's...that guy is a joke in rapping but he is just as successful as Jay is in terms of the business.For pure lyricism,look no futher than Nas,Mos Def and Talib Kweli.

Jay-Z is not quite a lyricist.Hes just a big time mainstream rapper.He is successful just because of that.Simmsm88,if you think that Jay's lyrics are pretty much garbage...try listening to P.Diddy's...that guy is a joke in rapping but he is just as successful as Jay is in terms of the business.For pure lyricism,look no futher than Nas,Mos Def and Talib Kweli.

Yea I know. I've listened to them all. I don't even know who's popular on the mainstream anymore cause I all listen to is underground and go back to the classics.

I can't wait till Pharoahe Monch's, Nas's, Ghostface's, & Raekwon's albums drop.

the best rapper lyrics belongs to tupac even thought jay-z thinks he is the best , he is defo not even close. Tupac, biggie, nas has some of the best lyrics. im sure jay-z would've been forgotten already if he was in tupac's shoes, only rapper i listen over and over for all these years even after his death is tupac, legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think the Game has potential? You have him in your avatar SB so I was just wondering. I like *some* of his beats but the lyrics aren't really great.

Back
Top Bottom