Interview with Jon Champion (retro PES commentator)

Increasingly excited, Champion continues: “Then they have this thing called concatenation, which is how you bolt it all together to make it sound realistic.

“So if I record five versions of ‘Beckham’, and then [his voice rising with each example] ‘picks up the ball’, and then ‘runs at the defender’, and then ‘has a shot’, and then [builds to a crescendo] ‘scores!’

“It’s how you manage to make those five different elements into one seamless phase of commentary. So concatenation is what they work very hard to do to make sure that however you’ve said the player’s name it will match relatively seamlessly with what it needs to be bolted onto.”

// Umm.. but it never sound seamless?

I remember games like High Heat had really good commentary and Triple Play Baseball, at least for the time anyway.

When it’s about commentary I always think 2kgames.
Example:
Don’t miss the end, from 4:55 min! Image that with soccer celebs and tv mod... i would probably wet myself from laughing watching it till the end still sitting on my couch.... laughing! :D

I think no matter who/what it gets stale after a while.
I've been playing 2k since -13 and they're in my mind the best.
You start to get annoyed by mistakes and bad timing.

When heading a good header in between two defenders and hitting the post and hearing Alan Smith (FIFA) say bad/horrible finish makes it so bad.
Not targeting fifa or Pes or even 2k but it gets pretty out of sync way to much at times.

I always use Italian commentaries for Pes,makes it feel a bit more authentic,they might be shit,who knows:)

Always knew Konami wrote the lines, Peter's lines are too similar to Jon's. Take it from someone who's good at communicating, that never ends well.

I think no matter who/what it gets stale after a while.
I've been playing 2k since -13 and they're in my mind the best.
You start to get annoyed by mistakes and bad timing.

When heading a good header in between two defenders and hitting the post and hearing Alan Smith (FIFA) say bad/horrible finish makes it so bad.
Not targeting fifa or Pes or even 2k but it gets pretty out of sync way to much at times.

I always use Italian commentaries for Pes,makes it feel a bit more authentic,they might be shit,who knows:)
:D i switch languages sometimes too. never used the german language that much because i understand the repeating lines! :D in english its better for me... other foreign languages too! :P

:D i switch languages sometimes too. never used the german language that much because i understand the repeating lines! :D in english its better for me... other foreign languages too! :P
I played three seasons of BL with Gladbach on 17 and one on 18,and I tried the German commentaries but they were awful in FIFA,and I understand German,same thing with Spanish on Pes,doesn't sound right (to me)

Currently have the Argentine commentators on PES, havent got a clue whats going on, but they do like a goal...SI SI SI GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL

Back
Top Bottom