Nottingham Forest
news_img_10800_0.jpg

news_img_10800_4.jpg

news_img_10800_5.jpg

news_img_10800_1.jpg

news_img_10800_2.jpg

news_img_10800_3.jpg

Cover story is Infamous
- "Infamous begins with a serene, panoramic skyview view of EMpire City on the title screen, with the words "press start flashing". ..once you push start, a massive explosion rips through the heart of the city. Six city blocks are consumed by flame...in the center, a man named Dylan staggers to his feet."

- Dylan doesn't know how he got his powers and starts out apathetic. He then becomes invest in the city...or you can choose not to be at all.

- Dylan can run up rooftops, scrambles across building archtecture, and can seek cover in unlikely nooks and crannies.

- Sucker Punch striving for simple controls to do not so simple things

- Empire City has 3 islands

- After the explosion, the city falls into chaos. A plague makes the govt. quarentine the city. Gangs are formed.

- Dylan's abilities evolve throughout the game

- One fight saw Dylan and his friend Zeke against a bunch of guard. A couple of choices include zapping the mobs and flinging them off the bridge, or using your electricity on the environment (i.e. power generators that may be nearby) to create explosions.

- Sucker Punch says "The hero's powers and te storyline are in support of the gameplay."

- Dylan cannot use firearms since his powers are "always on" (meaning he would set off the gunpowder in bullets). The powers can complicate your actions within the world.

- There will be other "villians" with their own powers that come into play. As well as other normal enemies with powers.

- - Infamous isn't structured like other open world games with a marker on the mini map for your next mission. The team's goal is to create a world where events unfold naturally.

- For example, you're on your way to disarm a bomb, but you notice a woman in the street bleeding and screaming. Time is ticking. What do you do? Your actions affect the world at large. Hence "Infamous".

- Karma system keeps track of your actions ( I assume without showing you? Not sure). Your actions affect the actions of the citizens of the city. They may fight with you or ignore you or even help fight against you. Karma also factors into how your abilities develop.

Its good that it got moved to Spring 09 with Killzone.

Potentially this could be really awesome, but my hunch would say they've bitten off more than they can chew and it'll end up a much shallower experience than we're hoping for.......

Sucker Punch's upcoming sandbox superhero game, inFamous, is due out next year in PAL regions and Sony has some new screenshots to get you worked up about it.

They depict player-character Dylan wreaking havoc on the fictional Empire City, using his various zappy Palpatine powers to send cars flying into buses while hanging from a lamp-post. The scamp.

According to details released by Sony yesterday, and a recent cover feature in a US games magazine, inFamous begins with a massive explosion in Empire City and Dylan emerging from the rubble, crackling with electricity.

He quickly makes contact with his friend Zeke, and is encouraged to leg it in his direction before things in the city get any livelier. Off he goes, but despite manfully dodging falling girders and debris, whatever happened to him in the heart of the initial explosion overcomes him and dumps him in a coma for 15 days.

During those 15 days, things get a bit out of hand - with talk of martial law and uprisings and mysterious plagues and all sorts. When Dylan wakes up, coming to terms with his burgeoning electric superhero powers, the player has to decide whether to save the city of destroy it.

An openworld game by design, inFamous doesn't bother with weapons and car control for Dylan; instead it's all about charting a path down good or evil roads, with a "Karma" system governing the city's responses to your actions and their implications on the story and your abilities. You'll also battle "powerful, iconic villains".

Visually, as you can see from the screenshots, it's heading in a GTA IV/Crackdown/Saints Row kind of direction, although we're also told to expect cut-scenes inspired by the comic books that obviously inspired the superhero premise.

It all sounds quite interesting, and if you missed last year's E3 unveiling, you can check out that blurry trailer over on Eurogamer TV. At the time we'd been told to expect inFamous in 2008, but now Sony is saying 2009 - perhaps springtime. We're doubly excited because Sucker Punch made our beloved Sly Raccoon games.

We hope to see more of inFamous at E3 next month, so expect first-hand impressions sooner rather than later.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=159232

I highly doubt that, everyone will get it at the same time.

Sucker Punch plans to release an inFamous demo on 21st May, according to the developer's website.

That's just over a week before the PS3-exclusive launches across Europe on 29th May.

'Shockingly' Good apparently.

Dont really trust OPM reviews, so I'll hang on... looking good though.

Doesn't really look like there's been an explosion in that demo.

Doesn't look very good as he's climbing up the building either, way too cartoony.

I have heard it likened to Crackdown, which I thought was a decent game, not sure I'll pick it up at launch though, might be a case of wait and see, I aint too worried about getting into a beta. See what others think of it first.

Crackdown with Force Unleashed lightning bolt powers.

That's the best way I can describe the game on the short play I've just had. Thanks to a friend I managed to get a download of the US demo last night and this morning with the download complete and installed I had my first chance to play.

The opening video does a great job of setting the story up for the demo. It shows the explosion wasn't a raging fireball but an electrical explosion, which will explain why the city isn't in crumbs. The electrical explosion sets off lots of mini explosions and causes buildings to fall which is how a lot of people are killed. As you are in a hospital bed (no explanation of how you got there) the area in which the explosion happened goes to shit. The police evacuate the area, the government (I think) locks the area down (Escape from LA) and the gangs take over with murders, rapes, robberies and everything else they could think of to make you hate them.

The scene continues showing you waking up in hospital with your hand of electricity freaking out but then your character goes on to say how he's learning to control the power now... but it may be too late!

Then it skips forward and you start it at the top of a building with a mission ready to start. The objective is to get the train from A to B using your self to power the front carriage. I won't spoil the mission now by saying 'this is how you do it' but I did feel a little lost at first when I was told to find something. Only after running around and jumping around blindly did the game hint me in the direction of it. I like that the game isn’t set up with sign posts though, the hint wasn’t so much a “It’s here with a huge icon” but more of “it’s in that area over there”.

When the mission was over a cut scene played and it's here you get to witness the fickle nature of the city's feelings towards you and how the lead character feels about it. From there it's up to you how you play the game and the meter in the top left showing you which side of the good guy/bad guy you are currently on.

The demo then lets you free roam around with a mission marked on your mini map in the corner of the screen. It's during free roam that you can really get a feeling of being in a gang ridden, half destroyed, screwed up city. Gangs hang around certain buildings, there are streets full of damaged cars and ruined buildings. Imagine crackdown but with ruined buildings, it's almost identical how it's set out with the gangs around the map. The way you can be running down a street and suddenly someone above you will start firing at you.

Gun shots ring out in the distance, explosions and screams can be heard and you'll come across people lay in the street dying (who you can heal if you choose to for some good guy karma). I turned a corner and heard a gun shot that sounded close, citizens started to run around in blind panic and I found a woman lay down injured. On my second play through this never happened. After saving her life she ran off without thanking me. I'm not sure if that's intentional to show the selfish unappreciative nature of everyone or if the game just had her run off in panic like everyone else. Either way I ran after the bitch and jump kicked her in the back of the head.

Moving on... I reached a side mission where a gang had taken control of a water supply and were poisoning it. So of course I was asked to go and ‘remove’ them. The game then told me I was now a bad guy, I believe the term they use is 'you are now inFamous', The side mission in the demo triggered that change to no doubt show me what it’s like playing as a bad guy. I ran down the street and climbed up the side of the buildings (very similar to uncharted and assassin's creed where you jump from pole to ledge and can run up bricks for a short time to jump for the next ledge). As I fired an electrical grenade I noticed how the bolts were now red and the explosion was much greater. After taking the first roof top out I leaped off and glided down to the next, then while above the gang I released 'glide (R1) and then with a tap of Square I slammed down into the ground creating a large red shockwave taking everyone out. Bad guy powers seem so much more powerful. Finally I took the last of the gang out and removed the device that was poisoning the water and the mission was over.

When you complete a mission it gives you a large amount of XP and with the side mission it informed me that the gang members I had just taken out will never return to that area. You also gain XP for taking out gang members and doing stunts like high jumps, taking someone out with melee attacks, killing 2 or 3 men with 1 grenade or leaping from 1 object to another. I’m not sure at the moment what the purpose of the XP is. I assume it increases your powers and health but other than that I have no idea. On the subject of health, when you’re running low and the screen goes grey you can run up to any electrical source and with a press of L2 drain the electricity from it to refill your life.

I’ve not managed to get beyond the first side mission so far. Every time I’ve got to that point today something has come up and I’ve had to turn the PS3 off. But I’ve read the demo has 1 more main mission and 1 more side mission as well as free roam and some other bits to play around with.

I’m not sure if this will take my eyes away from the UFC game and make me pick this up instead of that. The Uncharted 2 beta tempts me a lot and the game seems huge and I assume it will have 2 different endings depending on your actions during the game. Can’t say I think of it as a 9/10 game so far like the OPM review gave it. But who knows… maybe these other 2 missions and the free roam will change my mind when I play it again later.

I’ll record some footage of the game as well and upload it.

Last edited:
Great preview Radiation. I managed to have a go at a mates house yesterday and to be honest I wasnt particularly impressed. Its not bad so to speak, but it just felt a bit bland and repetitive. Your comparison with Crackdown and Force Unleashed pretty much sums it up to be honest, however I think I would still prefer Crackdown compared to this.

I think I will go and give it some more time as I haven't really gotten into the demo yet but at this moment I give it a 7/10. Im only interested in it currently for the Uncharted 2 Beta but im sure there are ways of me getting that without purchasing the game. ;))

Managed to complete the demo just now - Unfortunately when you finish the final mission (there are 4 missions in total in the demo) the demo ends with a heavy rock highlights video and then the demo restarts with the opening cut scene. So do your free roaming after you finish the first or second mission (depending on if you want to be a good guy or bad).

The game really does feel like crackdown in the way you jump and run and climb buildings. Even how when you finish certain missions you're informed that you now control that area and the gangs won't return.

It's a lot of fun and I do want to keep playing it now. If I have the money then I'll without a doubt pick up this and UFC but still something is holding me back and i think it's just the feeling of 'been there done that'. UFC is something new and this is more of the same. It is great don't get me wrong, and that uncharted 2 beta is very tempting as well. And there's always the chance that UFC will be a bit samey where i fight, and fight and fight again.

I thinking this might just edge it you know.

Just tried to capture some footage but the demo is region locked in some way. It works in HD fine but if i swap to S-Video the image clicks off to a black screen. I could use my older cap card to get an image but that doesn't have audio leads on it so it's crap.

I've tried capturing footage with vegas but i always get a message saying it could not be opened 'make sure it's not in use by another program or another user'. Neither of which are.

Back
Top Bottom