If you had to buy a console tomorrow...

beachryan

Golden Boot Winner
4 July 2003
Bermuda
...which would it be?

I'm moving to a new region, so my Xbox360 is almost useless (a couple of the games will still work, but not the best ones). Not too bothered about peripherals I own either.

Would you go for a slimline PS3 or the new Xbox360? They're pretty similarly priced with a controller/ decent hard drive. I'm not a fanboi of either.

Just looking for some arguments for/ against each - thanks!

Will you be playing online at all? I mean even if you move to a different region, you can still have your current friends list, just send them invites once you have a new id.

What is your favoured joypad, 360 Controller or the Dual Shock 3.

As you've had a 360, do you want the chance now to play Sony first party games and other exclusives like the God of War series, Uncharted, InFamous, Killzone etc.

For me, I do still prefer the 360 pad, and that is my favoured console.

Kinda what Carl says really, have a look at which first-party games you might want to play and decide which pad is your favourite.

360 games are generally optimised a little more than PS3 games but there's hardly any difference for the most part, so it comes down to the games and pad really. Online too, if none of your friends have a PS3 then you stick with the 360 if you go online.

Personally, I prefer the 360 controller, PS3 exclusives, XBox Live is better but I have more friends on the PS3. So I just have both :LOL:

Cheers guys.

I've not used a PS controller since PS2, but used to love it back then. Don't have any issue with the Xbox one though.

I guess the simple change might make it worth switching - have heard Uncharted is quality and sounds like my kind of game.

I mainly use it for sports games, so figure those are more or less the same.

The free PSN (well, I guess one should build in risk factor of losing the credit card dets!) also might tip it in the long run.

On my 360 I use TVersity to stream from my PC - is this possible on a PS3?

Yep, "PS3 Media Server" is what you want there, a free program for Windows.

The PS3 is also a great MKV/MPG player as well.

On my 360 I use TVersity to stream from my PC - is this possible on a PS3?

You dont need to use TVersity on the 360

You can stream films, pictures and music through Windows Media player and HD MKVs through Windows Media Centre

I made the switch from 360 to PS3 because I wanted the Blu-Ray option and the chance to play online casually without paying anything. I also found the PS3 exclusives to be completely worth the money.

imo, the PS3 is geared more at casual gamers with the option to be a hardcore gamer's console.

As an owner of both consoles I think it would be a 360 for me. I've already kind of made a switch back from the PS3.

I prefer the 360 pad, Xbox Live is a much better service than PSN and worth the subscription, the majority of multi-platform games look better on the 360, and the 360 has a nice, well thought-out UI.

I already own a BD player so that wouldn't be a factor for me.

What I would say in the PS3's favour is that it has great compatibility with third party products, e.g. you can fit any standard laptop HDD in to the console, and plug in a number of USB accessories. It also has excellent support for a range of steering wheels, which as a big racing game fan is a major source of frustration on the 360.

It's rare to see a thread like this that stays mature and sensible :).

A small thing I'd point out - if you play PES a lot, the PS3 has a much much larger online community as well as better option files.
On the 360 you can rarely even get a game in Online Legends mode and finding an online 2v2s (two consoles, each with a guest player) can take a while, whereas on the PS3 it's easy/instant getting a game in both modes.

In my opinion (having owned both consoles) there is such little difference between the two. I think the PS3 is ever so slightly superior to the Xbox though due to a)Better multimedia support (blu-ray, supports more movie files) b)I can upload videos to my my 320gb HDD and play them back very easily c)Online gaming costs nothing (paying for p2p gaming is ridiculous IMO) and D)The exclusives are far more in tune with my preferred games. The two consoles aren't worlds apart.

That said if you do play way more FPS' and Racing games compared to any other type of game then you may as well get an Xbox 360. The controller suits these games much more. I got used to the dualshock3 very quickly but i know a lot of people seem to have an issue with it.

It really does depend on the person in question though. I know you said you mostly play sports games and PES has already been spoken about but if you were to divulge into playing other games and you're more content with games like Fable, Halo, Gears of war over Uncharted, HD Ps2 collections and Japanese games (MGS4, Demon's Souls, ValkyriaChron etc) then perhaps you should opt for the Xbox 360 because it is about £70 cheaper comparing the slim versions of both consoles.

Last edited:
The ps3....it's prettier!

Only joking but that might aswell be an argument. Don't see much difference between the two now (I own both). Games are pretty equal for the most part, a few years ago 360 was the winner but now they seem equal with the ps3 sometimes getting slightly ahead with the extra space on Blu-ray. Eurogamer has a compare section eveyr month or so with the latest games.

As for controller....I prefer the dualschock for footiegames, the 360 pad for the rest. As for exclusives there isn't much difference imo, besides Uncharted (which is amazingly good imo) the rest cancel each other out (Forza-GT, Halo-Killzone,etc). I'm not an online player, very rarely, so being able to go online for free is a nice bonus. However the ps3 updates are slow (downloading and installing), as is the installing of games to harddrive, 360 wins that one easily. If it's for PES then the ps3 as mentioned.

You could speculate that the ps3 will have a slightly stronger future with more "power" to be tapped, but with the huge amount of 3rd party games it won't make a huge difference imo. Besides, next year we will be seeing the announcement of the next-gen ones anyway...

Looking at the comments it's pretty much the controller and the exclusives (and maybe blu-ray).

I agree, the games are what you should be looking for first. For me it's always PS3, but solely because of the Uncharted series. It's an absolute bliss to play those games, I would have liked to play Gears of War on the 360 but that's pretty much it for me, was never a fan of Halo on the original Xbox so those games don't excite me. Then there is the great option of having blue-ray.
I do believe the Xbox Marketplace has a much bigger library of downloadable games though, even if some companies like Telltale Games (Back to The Future, Tales of Monkey Island) have embraced PSN but left Xbox owners out in the cold, at least for now.

Graphics who*es need not apply of course, it's PC for them.

I own a Wii, PS3 and Xbox, if I had to sell two tomorrow it would be the PS3 and Wii that would have to go. I just prefer the general use of the 360, online and off and the only thing I'd miss about my PS3 would be the blu-ray player.

Back
Top Bottom