I need a proper job, and fast.

mathero, dropping out of uni is a great idea, rebel against your parents and tell them you will not under any circumstances get a full time job. Don't think about any consequences, just live for today man.

STAY!!!

The job market is hellish even with a degree atm. The best thing now is to actually do another degree if you can't find work. So finish or change your degree but get one atleast.

On a side note, I think I'll never fly to the UK again with all the EVO-WEB airtraffic controllers! :D

I'm just planning to finish my degree and its best to finish your course mathero considering it'll be hard to find a decent job in this economic climate.. I am transferring from Huddersfield Uni to Leeds Met just so I prefer being at home.. I've lived away from home for my 1st year this year and it hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to.. I was expecting to be out a few times a week but now I hardly go out once if I'm lucky enough.. The money I have saved for accomodation next year will be spent on a car now..

I'm just planning to finish my degree and its best to finish your course mathero considering it'll be hard to find a decent job in this economic climate.. I am transferring from Huddersfield Uni to Leeds Met just so I prefer being at home.. I've lived away from home for my 1st year this year and it hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to.. I was expecting to be out a few times a week but now I hardly go out once if I'm lucky enough.. The money I have saved for accomodation next year will be spent on a car now..

You don't rate Huddersfield for nights out then Hawkster...

You don't rate Huddersfield for nights out then Hawkster...

Oh its good for a night out problem is no-one comes out mainly claiming they're skint or I feel like I haven't made enough friends I dunno.. Where did you use to DJ Nick?

Oh its good for a night out problem is no-one comes out mainly claiming they're skint or I feel like I haven't made enough friends I dunno.. Where did you use to DJ Nick?
That was a few years ago now Hawkster, Xclusive and a few bars in Batley, a few in Huddersfield and Leeds as well as the odd night in Bradford, Halifax and Manchester... ;)

Last edited:
I was working as an IT technician in a high school when I was 18 Matherto :D

granted it was an apprenticeship at the time, but now its fulltime/proper pay. You will struggle to get a decent well paid I.T job without qualifications/experience.

As a career choice, IT is great as long as you have the enthusiasm to constantly be expanding your skills base. Personally, I'm sick of IT already, but thats a personal preference, i think I'm too young to decide what industry I want to be in at this age. I want to take a year or two off in a gap year program, or if i pluck up the balls, to join the RAF as a communications officer/engineer.

I was working as an IT technician in a high school when I was 18 Matherto :D

granted it was an apprenticeship at the time, but now its fulltime/proper pay. You will struggle to get a decent well paid I.T job without qualifications/experience.

As a career choice, IT is great as long as you have the enthusiasm to constantly be expanding your skills base. Personally, I'm sick of IT already, but thats a personal preference, i think I'm too young to decide what industry I want to be in at this age. I want to take a year or two off in a gap year program, or if i pluck up the balls, to join the RAF as a communications officer/engineer.

My other half applied to the RAF, she was a straight A swot at school and Uni, she was only in for four days then they told her they could not make full front line pilots so she quit and went back to Uni, she has qualifications coming out of her ears...
They do count but it's not vital.
If you work hard and find something you are good at or even better still find a gap in the market you can achieve anything.
There are a hell of a lot of people coming out of Uni and struggling to find a job too...

Last edited:
There are a hell of a lot of people coming out of Uni and struggling to find a job too...

Precisely the reason to stay in uni. After 3/4 years the economy should be picking up at about the tiem you finish your degree and you'll be perfectly placed to ride along with it.

My other half applied to the RAF, she was a straight A swot at school and Uni, she was only in for four days then they told her they could not make full front line pilots so she quit and went back to Uni, she has qualifications coming out of her ears...
They do count but it's not vital.
If you work hard and find something you are good at or even better still find a gap in the market you can achieve anything.

she wanted to be a fast jet pilot?, pretty sure women can't be. There are massive physical requirements to fly fast jets.

Well my sister managed to find an IT trainee job in split between two primary schools, which would be ideal, still undecided on whether to apply or stick at it, though today has been awful and at the moment it's swinging the job way in my mind.

I'm just annoyed with myself for not giving a toss about things in sixth form. I was on A*, A and B's at GCSE, mostly A's, and then I've come out of sixth form with a C and D at A level, a C and D at AS Level and a place at completely the wrong Uni.

When it came to applying, I did put down Manchester Met, and Liverpool John Moores, but being so lazy, put two Edge Hill courses as my first two because I couldn't be bothered moving away from home.

Sometimes you just wish you could things all over again....

You can though, you're still what? 18, 19? You have loads of time to re apply. You also already have your grades, so it will be easier for unis to decide to take you or not.

Well I'm trying to drop out of Uni, but the parents won't allow it unless I have a full time job lined up.

I've currently got the typical studenty type job, just working at Next on tills and so on, but obviously with the parents this doesn't qualify as a 'proper' job, and with Next (and the rest of the world) doing so shit, they aren't offering full time hours anyway, so that's that ruled out.

I wouldn't mind doing some kind of IT job, and there was a technicians job at a local high school on offer, but I figured I'd never get it being 19 and not knowing everything and anything about computers.

Now I see adverts for Computeach and stuff like that all the time, but how easy is it to get a job after doing something like that?

I've honestly not got a clue where to start looking for stuff, and it's probably a fruitless task anyway because of the economy.

Any help would be appreciated either way.

get your degree dude. honestly, down the line, i think its worthwhile.

When i was 18/19, i dropped out because i wanted to experience the world and there was a girl complicating things and i wanted get a job and all that jazz. looking back now - i think i should have done the whole uni thing. If you want to move abroad - a degree is one of the first things that gets looked at. I wonder how many better jobs i missed out on by not getting properly qualified instead of starting at entry level and working my way up...i'll never know.

Just stick it out dude, you have the whole rest of your life to work and what not.
The job climate will also *hopefully* be starting to show signs of improvement also if you stick out a uni for a few years

Back
Top Bottom