HTC Mobile Phones Thread

I think some foreign nobhead has bought my Nexus One on eBay, buy it now for £500 :ROLL:.

Haha I said about this on the chatbox and you said you'd never had a problem with eBay, it was bound to happen once you said that!

I purchased a HTC hero not long ago and I am very happy :))

Android is really good and I am enjoying the apps. There are a lot of apps that are similar to iphone apps and are just as good. but there isn't as many quality apps as on the Iphone, but I don't think it will be long until they are improved more and more.

Games aren't as good, but I only have little games on my phone anyway and alot are free. Games are enjoyable and addictive.

I paid just about £230 for it, so for £200 pounds less than an Iphone it is well worth it.

Also I am looking to root the phone, so I can do whatever I want with it and icrease speed etc. When you root, apparently the options are endless. So there is a plus there for android phones :))

I just really like it. home screens are great and I prefer the widgets rather than the iphones screens.

Multi tasking aswell is great, so i can open up a few applications and go back and forth and pause and go back.

So all in all it hasn't got the polish of the iphone, but for a few hundred pounds less you can have a phone that does alot of things the same, quite a few things better and the stuff that it doesn't do better can be overcome by rooting the phone and the app store getting bigger and better.

Yeah I like the widgets too, and the ability to have a number of different home screen layouts saved and switch between them easily :)).

also the fact you can put in different micro sd cards to increase memory :))

Only have 8gb at the moment. when I have some money I will upgrade to a 16gb class 6.

also just rooted my phone and it was instant. So now I can do pretty much what I want to the phone, which both excites and scares me :))

Im off to find out how to put on new roms and what else I can do to my phone.

Yeah I'm gonna order a 16GB MicroSD card myself :)).

So this rooting business, is it really worth it? I'm very happy with the phone as it is to be honest. What ROM are you thinking of putting on yours Bobster? What stuff does it do that the stock ROM doesn't? Cheers!

Yeah I'm gonna order a 16GB MicroSD card myself :)).

So this rooting business, is it really worth it? I'm very happy with the phone as it is to be honest. What ROM are you thinking of putting on yours Bobster? What stuff does it do that the stock ROM doesn't? Cheers!

I was looking at roms for the sprint hero, thinking it was for our hero. So I need to read up a bit more.

But for our hero there is a rom called Modaco. But I need to read more about it.

Basically, each rom is different. but it just runs much smoothly. Lag eradicated. you can use completely custom themes, screens etc

Also you can change any aspect of it. So for instance. I hate the big grey lockscreen time thingy. so i am looking to change that to a seethrough lockscreen.

Another big thing is with the custom roms you can partition your sd card and save apps on the card instead of on your phone. Which is also a big plus.

My main thing for rooting though was to get rid of the hold T-mobile had on my phone. Although I unlocked the phone, if I want to update it I still needed to go with the T-mobile update. Now I can use the official update.

I need to read up alot more about it, but I have been learning bits and bobs from this site

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/

Also look at the main forum for different apps and games etc.

look at post number 12 on this page

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-hero/36500-rooting-htc-problems.html

they tell you how to put a file on the phone that instantly roots your phone. It works instantly! :DD

Then you can mod your phone however you want.

As I said I need to read more about it before I use a different Rom. But there is a guide on how to put the roms on in that post aswell.

But I am in no rush to use a new rom at the moment. As i am quite happy.

Just happy to have it rooted, so I have the option to change if I want.

*Make sure you read up about rooting. It will void your warranty (although you can unroot it and they cant tell the difference). Also there is a tiny chance it can brick your phone. But I haven't heard of anyone where that has happened. So there are some down sides, so make sure you read up about it alot before you do it.

Last edited:
If any of you are joggers, try Sportypal. It is a great app. Logs all of your running information, maps out your run on gps and you can see it back on google maps. you get your time, pace loads of information. Also a graph :DD

All for free, downloads instantly to the sportypal website where you can log all of your runs etc.

Not just on Android, you can get it on others aswell.

You can also use it for cycling, walking etc etc.

does canoeing and sailing, so it must do. Don't know why it doesn't say rowing :)) but as Tim said it works out everything through GPS (moving) so you will have to do proper rowing for it to work :))

Bob, it's not easy at all for us to root out Hero's as they are fucked big style by Three / T Mobile. Basically we need to downgrade before we can root. But downgrading is a right pain in the fucking tits and is pretty complicated. I might have a go tomorrow during the day as I currently have no jobs to do and my boss is off so I shouldn't get hassled.

Right. I've done it :DD. Now running the latest MoDaCo. It is a lot faster I must say. Apart from that no noticeable differences yet...

The order is:

downgrade to 1.73.405.5

root

install MoDaCo custom ROM

:TU:

Right. I've done it :DD. Now running the latest MoDaCo. It is a lot faster I must say. Apart from that no noticeable differences yet...

The order is:

downgrade to 1.73.405.5

root

install MoDaCo custom ROM

:TU:

Yeah I was already on 1.73 anyway, so it rooted easily.

My phone is starting to get a bit laggy. I filled up my 8gb card aswell. So I might do the Modaco in the next couple of days :DD

I might keep my eye out for a Nexus One now. Having a few problems with the iPhone 3GS with the jailbreaking aspect of it, and I've had a number of people complain about the call quality from it as well.

Yo Timbo?!

I want to do a Nandroid backup of my phone. But when I go into the screen the only options I have are to reboot. Get file from the Sd card or wipe.

Do you only get the Nandroid backup option when you install the mod?

I want to save what I have at the moment, so if I don't like Modaco I can go back.

I've saved all of my sd card stuff, jsut need the stuff on the phone memory backed up?

HTC for the win :)).

I'm gonna update to the latest radio tonight, and then read up on which apps and add ons I should get too :TU:.

Yo Timbo?!

I want to do a Nandroid backup of my phone. But when I go into the screen the only options I have are to reboot. Get file from the Sd card or wipe.

Do you only get the Nandroid backup option when you install the mod?

I want to save what I have at the moment, so if I don't like Modaco I can go back.

I've saved all of my sd card stuff, jsut need the stuff on the phone memory backed up?

When you boot into Amon Ra's recovery image you should have the option to do a nandroid backup regardless of the ROM that you are running. I tried to do a nandroid of the stock ROM but it wouldnt work. It worked fine once I got MoDaCo on it though.

I need to order a bigger memory card too, 16GB, then I can have all my music on it. I'll probably get the 32GB when that's out too.

My current contract is up in April when the new HTC phones launch, I'm split between the Desire (should have stuck with Bravo) and the Legend.

When you boot into Amon Ra's recovery image you should have the option to do a nandroid backup regardless of the ROM that you are running. I tried to do a nandroid of the stock ROM but it wouldnt work. It worked fine once I got MoDaCo on it though.

I need to order a bigger memory card too, 16GB, then I can have all my music on it. I'll probably get the 32GB when that's out too.

Cheers mate, If I get time tonight i will give it a go.

does Modaco have the same widgets and stuff? or is there anything missing?

Also is it easy to reinstall your paid apps?

Yep, all the same widgets and features, plus a couple of new ones. Paid apps you just re-download for free :)).

My current contract is up in April when the new HTC phones launch, I'm split between the Desire (should have stuck with Bravo) and the Legend.

Speaking from hands on time with their previous incarnations, the HTC Legend is just an upgraded version of the Hero with a new casing, optical trackpad and AMOLED screen.

However the HTC Desire is the exact same phone as the Nexus One but with the HTC Sense UI and Adobe Flash support (the Nexus One is getting Adobe Flash 10.1 along with other devices).

I have used the Hero extensively and had bought a Nexus One (just sold it on Sunday). The Hero is a great phone, however the Nexus One/Desire is a far better phone in terms of spec. The 3.7 inch AMOLED is an absolutely beautiful screen. I really miss the size and clarity now I have the iPhone 3GS again. The 1GHZ Snapdragon processor makes the entire Android 2.1 system run effortlessly and the built in noise reduction microphone makes call quality extra clear.

In addition the battery life on the Nexus One was great. I was really surprised by it. With bluetooth and location services off and 2G radios only, I was averaging between 2.5 -3.25 days on a single charge and this is with lots of internet browsing on Wi-Fi and phone calls. With 3G on it would still last me a good 2 days.

On top of this there is so much customisation options you can do both with the stock version of the OS (widgets, folders, application shortcuts etc) or by rooting and installing custom ROM's from Modaco or XDA Developers.

Overall I was very happy with the Nexus One and would recommend it to anyone in a flash. The only reason I sold it was due to the lack of games, internal storage (currently only 16GB on a Micro-SD card) and the fact that I managed to get a new iPhone 3GS 32GB at a very low price.

:))

March 26 on T Mobile, Orange in April and Vodafone sometime between it seems.

I'll probably stick with Vodafone now that they'll have it, going ignore the o2 calls.

I hear mumblings from those in the know that the HTC Supersonic will be out by summer. Its similar in spec to the HTC HD2 but it will be running either Android 2.1 or Android 2.2 but with the Sense UI on top of it. So by the looks of it the Supersonic will have a 1GHZ Snapdragon processor, either 512MB/1GB RAM and a whopping 4.3 inch capacitive touchscreen display. It may also support WiMax.

htc-supersonic.jpg

Doesn't sound like it will be available on PAYG, during the press conference this morning HTC did suggest that it will be available unlocked though.

Back
Top Bottom