Howard Webb

Must be a Man U fan then :ROLL:

Three handballs the bald fud missed tonight, THREE! I admit we deserved to lose because of stupid errors but would have been at least 2-0 up if the selective myopic was bloody watching the game.

omg how can you hate on the legend of howard webb, he is the greatest referee in england and was referee in the world cup and champions league final.. i think howard should be knighted because he is the bestest referee of all time, i have never seen him make a mistake. he is always 100% correct because of his superb vision. anyone who disagrees on howard webb being the best referee of all time must not understand the true greatness of THE HOWARD WEBB.

omg how can you hate on the legend of howard webb, he is the greatest referee in england and was referee in the world cup and champions league final.. i think howard should be knighted because he is the bestest referee of all time, i have never seen him make a mistake. he is always 100% correct because of his superb vision. anyone who disagrees on howard webb being the best referee of all time must not understand the true greatness of THE HOWARD WEBB.

How much is he paying you to say that?

All the people who criticize referees should referee a couple of matches themselves.
I've done it a few times and i can tell you that is really a difficult, tough job were you have to take more decisions in 90 minutes than most people who criticze refs on the internet in their entire lives.

What i don't understand is why fans (and manager) always talk about referee mistakes and never about player mistakes...i remember (for example) the moaning about the referee of (some) Arsenal fans after Newcastle's famous come back when Arsenal were 4-0...The fact that Arsenal conceded 4 goals was not due to the referee...

Referees do make mistakes, but most of us would make much, much more mistakes in the same position...

I think he's become a pseudo-celebrity, a poster boy for the premier league, and this has meant he has ideas above his stations, or rather others have ideas and designs for him above his station.

For instance there were several better refs than him at the last world cup (Irmatov of Uzbekistan and Nishimora of Japan who was brilliant), yet Webb still got the final because of his brand / name. I also think it's silly to have Webb (who, in England, is basically a Premier League only ref) in charge of a vital Championship Playoff. Why not get a Championship ref (e.g. Scott Mathieson) who knows more about the players and style of play? It's really a slight on the Championship, the equivalent of saying "Right boys, you've had your season but we're [Premier League] in charge now, so we'll bring in our refs into your playoffs". The whole thing smacks of pandering to celebrity.

They are trying to dress him up as a Collina, who was a brilliant once-in-a-generation ref, hardly making any errors, but Webb just isnt as good as he was, he's as fallible as other referees.

I think he's become a pseudo-celebrity, a poster boy for the premier league, and this has meant he has ideas above his stations, or rather others have ideas and designs for him above his station.

For instance there were several better refs than him at the last world cup (Irmatov of Uzbekistan and Nishimora of Japan who was brilliant), yet Webb still got the final because of his brand / name. I also think it's silly to have Webb (who, in England, is basically a Premier League only ref) in charge of a vital Championship Playoff. Why not get a Championship ref (e.g. Scott Mathieson) who knows more about the players and style of play? It's really a slight on the Championship, the equivalent of saying "Right boys, you've had your season but we're [Premier League] in charge now, so we'll bring in our refs into your playoffs". The whole thing smacks of pandering to celebrity.

They are trying to dress him up as a Collina, who was a brilliant once-in-a-generation ref, hardly making any errors, but Webb just isnt as good as he was, he's as fallible as other referees.

spot on.the next graham poll..

I don't know if "they" (whoever that may be) are trying to dress Webb up as a brilliant once-in-a-generation ref, hardly making errors.

Yes Collina was brilliant, but he has become mythical. We will never know, but i'm sure that Collina made as much "errors" as Webb...Entirely out of my head i can remember the fact that the Belgian national team missed a WC because Collina missed a blatant penalty...

Football fans should accept that refs make mistakes, usually less than players and managers, but they make mistakes.

What is unfair IMO is that in a match where a CF misses 3 or 4 blatant sitters, afterwards the ref is blamed for not giving a penalty...(so you understand that i don't blame Collina in the case i mentioned above).

On top of that FA's, UEFA and FIFA should support their refs more. One example: post factum sanctions for divers... If a penalty is given because of a dive, don't change the result (that would be madness), but suspend the diving player for one match. If it occurs a second time in the course of the same season: a two match ban, etc...

There should also be more consistency in the way all the contacts when a corner is given, are treated...every contact in the 16 can be a penalty...Give very clear instructions to the refs about that and support refs who act according to these intstructions.

I will say that Uzbek ref is f'n as flawless as it gets from what I've seen! I had seen him before in Asian tournaments and I thought for such a young guy too (what is he like 32? lol) he handled himself amazingly in World Cup. Was best one for me. And he had some TOUGH matches and decisions to make. Very composed guy. In control. Good eye for detail.

Irmatov is his name I guess according to Edmundo. For me, he was the best and definitely better than the Japanese one too.

All in all, Howard Webb's a good ref though. Just not the very best and I agree that these days his 'name/brand' is bigger than his ability.

I think a bigger question is are Cardiff City the biggest bottlers around?

Spend 3/4 of the season in the automatic promotion spots and then falter in the run-in, season after season.

Yes that is indeed a more relevant question than the one that initiated this thread.+
With the player they have, they should have had automatic promotion. Play-offs are always a litle bit of Russian roulette.

hes fucking SCUM cmon guys u that say hes great u dont see he always help manchester utd ? and its always against Liverpool I hate him so much and to put him near collina its really shame

i think u NEVER WATCH HIM U JUST LISTEN WORDS FROM ANYONE !

ok val, i will say this once..the forum has rules so please don´t break them with your words.

All the people who criticize referees should referee a couple of matches themselves.

Agree with that.
For having referred some matches in youth games, i can say refereeing is big part of interpretation.
The problem aren't the referees, but the rules and the means given to the referees to do their job

i try if i get money that he get from his job persons pay him and MUCH so he need to do his job and not do 12th player for manchester utd

ok val, i will say this once..the forum has rules so please don´t break them with your words.

yeah i know just im hating him so much when he will refere match of Liverpool I dont want to watch those matchs more coz I really get nervous , sorry for bad words :/

I'd love to see the highly intellectual discussion we'd get in a conversation between val and Ronaldinho_23.

Easy target again the referee.

If J-E Thomas was actually a decent player rather than a fraud he would have bagged two goals.

If Bywater had not had a rush of blood to the brain there would not have been a goal.

If Keinan has not shown a remarkable degree of stupidity in pulling back on Mill's shirt there would be no penalty.

Yes it is frustrating he probably missed one marginal decision but look more at the players.

Officials are such an easy target for managers, players and fans alike it's a wonder they persist as they do.

Easy target again the referee.

If J-E Thomas was actually a decent player rather than a fraud he would have bagged two goals.

If Bywater had not had a rush of blood to the brain there would not have been a goal.

If Keinan has not shown a remarkable degree of stupidity in pulling back on Mill's shirt there would be no penalty.

Yes it is frustrating he probably missed one marginal decision but look more at the players.

Officials are such an easy target for managers, players and fans alike it's a wonder they persist as they do.

This is a nice conclusion to this thread.

Also worth noting that there's a video on the web of a young Howard Webb singing YNWA with a big crowd...just saying as the only people that accuse him of a United 'bias' seem to come from Liverpool...

Back
Top Bottom