High Definition

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
Hey, how is it that old films, such as Airplane! that I recorded over Xmas, was in HD, and good HD too. Because I'm assuming they haven't gone back and re shot everything using HD cameras. So how do they do it? Surely converting it or something similar would decrease quality, not enhance it?

As Nick has said already, everything shot on 35mm is a much higher definition to what we're used to seeing now. Which makes for great future proofing of Definition increase sales, haha.

from this point they need to start filming everything in imax. lol

The Dark Knight director said that they only used the IMAX cameras for scenes that didn't need live audio, he also mentioned that the cameras are too big and too noisy.

With the way technology is progressing hopefully someone can develop some affordable cameras that address these issues. So that studios won't hesitate in using them and everything can look as good as the IMAX scenes on the BD.

Talking of LED, LED projectors, they good for gaming? We have a 42" TV but I think it'll make sense to also buy a projector so the wife and I can both game at the same time, so wondering what projector to buy for good quality gaming image + movie image?

The new LED's (TV's) seem to have trouble with motion blur.

I'd say theres still a long way to go before they're as good as plasma/a great LCD.

Saw three Samsungs lined up in Currys and even with their ability to fuck up a TV's settings, you could tell that their LED is slap bang in the middle of the three technologies as far as quality is concerned right now.

The new LED's (TV's) seem to have trouble with motion blur.

I'd say theres still a long way to go before they're as good as plasma/a great LCD.

Saw three Samsungs lined up in Currys and even with their ability to fuck up a TV's settings, you could tell that their LED is slap bang in the middle of the three technologies as far as quality is concerned right now.

Firstly, I'm not sure if you know but the name LED TV is a bit misleading as these are still an LCD display, it's just that the backlighting uses LEDs rather than the cold cathode flourescent lamps (CCFL) in normal LCD TVs. Samsung have recently had their wrist's slapped for misleading advertising.

The 'LED TV's' shouldn't suffer from motion blur any more than a normal LCD set as it is the same technology. If it's 100Hz then watching sports should be fine. What the Samsung LED TV's suffer from is backlight uniformity as the LED lights are inside the frame and point inwards. Other models use LEDs behind the screen but these can suffer from blooming (like a halo effect around bright images on the screen). However LED TV's are mighty thin and use less power. Personally I think a good LCD is still a better choice.

OLED will be the technology that finally topples Plasma off the top spot, but it's still early days. The screen sizes are tiny at the moment and the cost is astronomical. Take a deep breath:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230725482/Product.aspx?source=14798

£3,200 for an 11 inch TV! Jesus wept! It does sound good though, give it 10 years and it'll be big screen sizes and affordable.

Firstly, I'm not sure if you know but the name LED TV is a bit misleading as these are still an LCD display, it's just that the backlighting uses LEDs rather than the cold cathode flourescent lamps (CCFL) in normal LCD TVs. Samsung have recently had their wrist's slapped for misleading advertising.

Yeah I know, it's just easier to seperate them as LED's versus LCD's instead of saying LED LCD versus Normal LCD or whatever you wish.

And I know they shouldn't have any more trouble with motion blur than other LCD TV's but this was Curry's and they wouldn't know the right way to set up a TV if I jumped up and hit them. I can only comment on what I saw though.

Talking of LED, LED projectors, they good for gaming? We have a 42" TV but I think it'll make sense to also buy a projector so the wife and I can both game at the same time, so wondering what projector to buy for good quality gaming image + movie image?

Dunno about LEDs but LCD ones are the nuts

LCD in projecters show no sign of letting up so they still must be good. Bulbs normally last 3000-5000 hours but most cover themselves by saying about 1500 :LOL:

Lets try and work this out my weird mathematical way :THINK:

3 hours a day watching would make 1000 or so hours a year so you would get 3 years out of it before it blows

Nothing wrong with £150-200 every 3 or more years in my book ;)

Presumably the technology has moved beyond lamps that need replacing on them every so many hours at a rather high cost? Do they technically last forever now with no additional sustained costs needed?

Unfortunately the bulb life can be as low as 1000 hours although I have seen some that state 4000 hours. Bulbs can still cost £200 or more.

The high-end PJs may differ though.

Edit: Coopz beat me to it!

don't know about LED projectors, but Coopz and myself both have a sanyo 1080p projector, which is LCD. his is a higher model than mine, but i just bought it a couple of months ago and the picture quality is absolutely superb for hi-def movies and console action. even using it with my media center for gaming too and it still looks amazing.

Sanyo PLV-Z700 is mine: Sanyo PLV-Z700 Home Cinema Projector FULL HD 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

i bought mine on the back of WhatHiFi magazine giving it their product of 2009 for <£1500 projectors...

get one! you will be blown away!

Back
Top Bottom