HD Televisons

I finally managed to find me hdtv!...Well, my mum found me one actually!

embarrasing I know. Managed to get a Phillips 32inch LCD HDTV for just over a grand.

Just wanted to ask one more question though.

Regarding all the services and next gen machines, will they automatically broadcast in HD?

Example 1: when sky finally start broadcasting in HD over here, if I plug my sky box into my tv will it automatically detect I have a HDTV and start showing it in HD, OR will I need a special cable?

Example 2: pretty much the same as the first. If I buy an xbox 360 (and thats a big if) once I plug it into my tv will the games auto detect I have HDTV and play in 720p/1080i etc OR will I again need a special cable?

Thanks for any info.

Great news, I think the cables will propably come with the Sky box, still got ages for it to come out, you will see near that time. You in UK?

Bloody hell kop, thats a bargain! I'll have to check those places out!

yep ashmufc, im unfortunately living in the uk. So hdtv doesnt apply to me yet ;)

I'm in UK as well, ive been searching up and down for a good deal. KOP_07, could you link me.

you've gotta be careful with these tv's half of them don't actually support hdtv even if they list them as supporting it. alot of the time they will support the resolution but not actually send a true hd signal. check out avforums.co.uk if you're unsure about anything along these lines.

just looked at the sky testing screens and to be honest it doesnt look any better than freeview digital that I run through pc now!

jamie_mack said:
just looked at the sky testing screens and to be honest it doesnt look any better than freeview digital that I run through pc now!
then its not HD, the picture clarity in HD is remarkably more clearer then a normal tv, much greater then when vhs went to dvd...

People help!

Still looking at what to get. If I get a TV compatible with 720p only, not 1080i, can it still read 1080i but just lower the quality? Is it worth getting 720p TV, or one compatible with 1080i??

well I say you get one compatible with 1080i. Its a higher resolution number so makes sense really.

From what I can tell though the difference between 720p and 1080i isnt that big.

But if you gonna buy a hdtv you might aswell make it future proof ;)

Adonis which one did you buy?
Is it Samsung HD Ready Widescreen LCD Tv 1366x768 resolution, model: le32a41bx/xeu?

Nope, I think classicd got that one.

Like I said previously my mum found it in her new littlewoods catalogue! Oh the shame!

Its a 32 inch Phillips HD Ready LCD Widescreen TV. Resolution is 1366x768.

I think the model number is 32PF5520D/10. cost £1399

The only thing that concerned me was when I ordered it the person on the other line didnt know much about it. It had loads of info in the catalogue, but didnt mention number like 720p,1080i etc.

The person said to check the manual and see if its compatible, which Im sure it is. If not its going straight back! ;)

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_260800.html

This is the one you got.

HDTV can be 720p or 1080i. It's unclear at this stage which format will be most common, but most of the European pay TV broadcasters due to launch HDTV channels seem to have chosen 1080i. 720p/1080i will eventually be superceded by 1080p.

There is technically no miniumum resolution for a HD panel, because many SD plasmas with a resolution of 852 x 480 will accept a 720p or 1080i signal and downscale it to the panel's own resolution. The PV500 can display more of a 720p or 1080i broadcast than an SD plasma because it has a resolution of 1024 x 768. However, if you want a TV that can display all the pixels in a 1080i broadcast you need a display with a 1920 x 1080p resolution. Some 37" 1080p LCDs from Westinghouse and BenQ have recently become available in the US for about $2000, but they are not yet available in the UK.

You could get a Sharp 45" LCD which has a native display of 1920*1080

Not currently aware of any other telly (LCD) on sale (UK) that has 1920*1080 at the moment. Should change soon though..

Just got this info from another forum, to display 1080i properly, minimum res is 1920x1080, so the one you bought will still play 1090i, but jsut donwscale it.

Thats fantastic mate! Thank you very much for that info :)

At least I know it can broadcast in 1080i now. Gutted though because its almost £400 cheaper at comet :(

The sharp lcd the guy talked about has amazing resolution. as far as I know 1366x768 is a very high spec for tvs in uk, but the sharp one pisses all over it!

Im thinking of cancelling my order and waiting for a different one...

Some knowledge tells me HDTV prices will drop a lot. YOu are not desperate for a TV are you mate? I ahve a 32" JVC 4:3 tv for 5 years now, and doing extension in my house, so after 2 moths will get a tv hope prices drop by then.

Nope im not that desperate to be honest.

Just that I turned a room in my house into a chill pad. Got my pc, ps2 etc all in there and wanted to make it complete by getting a hdtv and 2 fatboy chairs :) Guess im being a little impatient

Im definately gonna wait now after that info you have given me.

Thanks again

No worry, majority of plasmas osld now do not support any HDTV. Soon they will propably August. Does your TV HAVE to suppoer 1080i fully, because most people are buying ones that support 720p, and just watch it downscaled.

Ia this what most people do in USA?

So have you cancelled it? If you still want one now, I found some VERY good ones HD Ready, at good prices. I am going to buy mine 720p compatible, it will still play 1090i, but jsut scale it down, but who cares? LOL

Yep mate managed to cancel it, although it was loads of hassle because it was already in transit!

Could you give me the info to the ones you've found then please? Im thinking of waiting until sky offically launch hd broadcasting so I get a good spec tv, but would like to see some for product knowledge :)

thanks

You still after one? You can get good 720p ones, they still accept 1080i, but just scale it down, what you after? A 32" LCD right?

Can someone is USA answer a few questions. When was HD first launched, and when would you say it went mainstream (i.e widely available) and after how many years will/did it take for the premium channels to go to 1080p?

ashmufc said:
Can someone is USA answer a few questions. When was HD first launched, and when would you say it went mainstream (i.e widely available) and after how many years will/did it take for the premium channels to go to 1080p?
2001 or so
still is not mainstream, wont be for awhile
nothing is in 1080p, 1080 is interlaced, some channels do 720p..
the maximum channels you can get in HD is around 15 or so i beleive....
4 of those are abc, cbs, nbc and fox

And is there a WanerBros Channle or something? The channel taht shows Smallville, does it show in 720p or 1080i, because I love Smallville, so I want to know.

Back
Top Bottom