Has your Xbox 360 ever broke?

Has your 360 ever broken and/or been replaced

• Yes

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 35.6%

• Total voters
what do you guys expect with a software company making hardware...

To be fair, Microsoft are big enough to run a dedicated hardware department. I remember reading that a lot of the designers/engineers are ex-employees of some big hardware companies were involved with the 360.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but I can't imagine there being much complicated with consoles (the 360 in particular): get a powerful graphics card, throw in some of those multi core processors, some RAM, a DVD drive and a few fans and voila.

The prob though is that most of the faults are amateurish, such as loose soldiering :eh:

Fair play to MS, they got into the nextgen scene fast with a decently priced console. However, maybe the problem is that the 69 days given (to manufacture and put the 360s on the shelves before Xmas 2005) was perhaps a bit too hasty for a powerful console?

Last edited:
^ Agree with Rocky, im sure if we all tried to assemble several PC's quickly within a short timescale that a good 5 out of every 10 of them would have issues at some stage...

Dj

Out of around twenty people I work with that have a 360, only one person has not had a replacement. Yet. A few have had multiple replacements too.

Ignoring the red ring of death issue, the DVD drives have caused the other issues - mine broke after a couple of weeks of Gears. Bad game disc messages for a few days before not reading any games at all. It was only two months old too.

There is a problem with 360s that get used quite often. I'm guessing most people here use theirs quite a lot, same as my workmates.

woah thats another 20+ broken 360s to add

JB it sound like yours is very very close to going tits up, mine started freezing after 20 minutes of play then woulndt stop freezing

btw did everyone know about microsoft refunding repairs?

"Microsoft has said it will waive the cost of repairs on Xbox 360 consoles manufactured before 1st January 2006, and refund any fees already paid."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19878

kassa said:
Bijna duizend klachten over Xbox 360
Uitgegeven: 12 april 2007 14:06
Laatst gewijzigd: 12 april 2007 15:37

HILVERSUM - Bijna duizend consumenten hebben geklaagd bij het televisieprogramma Kassa over hun spelcomputer Xbox 360. Het systeem zou krassen veroorzaken op dvd's.

Kassa onderschrijft de klachten, omdat uit een eigen test blijkt dat de Xbox 360 inderdaad schijfjes beschadigt.

De problemen treffen volgens het tv-programma waarschijnlijk tussen de een en twee miljoen apparaten. Deze zijn van mei tot en met december vorig jaar gemaakt door de Amerikaanse producent Microsoft, zei eindredacteur Renzo Veenstra donderdag.

'Niet stabiel'

Microsoft verklaarde in een reactie dat schijfjes alleen beschadigd kunnen raken als de console bijvoorbeeld niet stabiel staat. Er is echter geen sprake van een "systematische productiefout", aldus een woordvoerder. Het concern zou graag de geteste consoles van Kassa inzien.

Stootkussentjes

Negen bezitters van een Xbox 360 hebben het apparaat voor Kassa getest. Na vijf uur gamen op de eerste dag verscheen er al een kras op een dvd, aldus Veenstra. Op twee daarop volgende testdagen veroorzaakte de dvd-speler van de spelcomputer opnieuw krassen. Uit eerder onderzoek van Kassa zou blijken dat de dvd-speler een aantal kleine stootkussentjes ontbeert, waardoor de schijf tegen de lens kan aanbotsen.

De Xbox 360 is volgens Kassa een ondeugdelijk apparaat. Microsoft moet de apparaten terugroepen en repareren, aldus het programma.

Dutch "watchdog" tv program tests the 360 after nearly a 1000 complaints and says the consoles produced from may to december 2006 are faulty and that ms should recall them and replace / repair them free of charge. The main problem being scratched discs which are a result of dvddrive bufferpads not being present in the dvddrive.

Ms responded by saying this only happens when the console isnt placed on stabile ground. Hmmm.....how can you see when your console was produced? Bought mine in september/october.

Found it, feb 06, whoohoooo, its not "faulty"......yet.

Last edited:
I've been playing Tiger Woods all day and the commentator has started saying 300-yard drives are "really short".

I'm sure it's a bug with the game but still, all these weird glitches are stacking up... It's taking longer and longer to load sounds as well, you hear a quarter of the crowd noise file and then it just cuts out while it finds the next bit on the disc...

Okay, well, it's a bit more serious today.

Last night, on Tiger Woods, I entered an online tournament no problem. Today I've tried four times and the game has crashed on the loading screen, and the fifth time it's gone in.

By "crashed", I mean that the screen has frozen on the loading screen, nothing moves, and if I press the 360 button you hear the first "swoosh" but the screen remains frozen. The disc has no scratches, but I've given it a clean anyway.

XBOX 360 problem, Tiger Woods problem or crap connection problem?

Well my 360 started to not read discs so I took it back to PC world today and got a replacement. They don't even look inside the box.. I could have packed a couple of bricks in there and they wouldnt notice the fools. I did it last time aswell. I just lie and say its under a years warranty and they believe me. Even though I got my first console in Dec 05, took it back in Jan 06.

I'm now on my 3rd 360

I would say a Tiger Woods poor coding problem. I had this problem on Project Gotham 3 before they patched the issue and since then ive never had that problem.

Dj

Its funny you should say that I saw a video on Youtube early last year of Madden 06 on the 360 and it had the same problem you mentioned... Geometric shapes coming off the players etc...

Dj

well, yesterday a friends got the dreaded red lights, and after weeks of taking the mick saying its going to happen to his 360, I couldn't believe it did.

and I get home from college today, and as soon as I get on MSN, another friends has broken as well

it's quite astounding the failure rate to be honest, which is a shame considering how well MS have done with other aspects

Its what you call rushing out a piece of kit... What your friends may find is poor soldering is causing their problems.

Dj

My mates 360 broke a few days ago and he only had it 2 months

strangely enough i rang the catalogue where he ordered it from and without hesitation they game me Microsofts number, i guess they have done it before ;)

I replaced 2 so far.. I got sick of it returned it and got my money back..seems like the batch I was getting it from was entirely defaced.

you just couldnt make this up

switched my 360 on today and im getting the 3 red lights every time.
i have had no freezes up until the 1 i had today which has wiped my 360 out

more phone calls to make

I wonder why people are shocked now when their machine gets the 3 lights, its inevitable people!!

Im sure mine will go. Just out of interest Are these machines all premium machines? Mine is a core machine originally with the HD added later.

Dj

ALL YOU GUYS IN UK WITHIN THEIR 1 YEAR WARRANTY!
If you get the 3 Red Lights, return to your retailer for a swap! You get a brand new console, not some refurb one! It would be against the law for your retailer not to give you a new one.

Back
Top Bottom