Hands on PES6 PS2 near final build

Finally took a quick look at the Master League. Before it begins, you get asked five or was it six questions, one is quite interesting, take a look...

network_ML_hmm.jpg

Uh...dogfighter? They even call every freekick to be taken by the"spot-kick taker"

ML_talent_search.jpg

to be honest if highbur is still in the game it will be the biggest disapointment

i dont care about much else, i dont use the german league anyway

i can make chelsea's kit

but to use an old staduim?

come on

I agree with Riot. Forget stats at this point, because you'll have every overexcited 12 year old wanting to know stats of their favourite players, only so that they can then moan about how over/underrated they are. That makes for a really dull/shit thread people!

Thanks for the Preview Riot and keep letting us know of any things you discover in the overall gameplay. If you can, please try and keep mentioning the differences in comparision to PES5. Thanks.

One question: I understand the refs are a bit more lenient now, not blowing up so often. Is it a marked improvement do you think? As you said yourself, i found this to be my greatest niggle about PES5 gameplay.

Professor Nutmeg said:
I agree with Riot. Forget stats at this point, because you'll have every overexcited 12 year old wanting to know stats of their favourite players, only so that they can then moan about how over/underrated they are. That makes for a really dull/shit thread people!

Thanks for the Preview Riot and keep letting us know of any things you discover in the overall gameplay. If you can, please try and keep mentioning the differences in comparision to PES5. Thanks.

One question: I understand the refs are a bit more lenient now, not blowing up so often. Is it a marked improvement do you think? As you said yourself, i found this to be my greatest niggle about PES5 gameplay.

Thanks Prof. Nutmeg.

YES, I forgot to point it out that the refereeing is MUCH improved. I hate the continuous stops in PES5 and that's gone in PES6. You can keep holding down X and get at players, but you rarely get the ball that way or even foul. There's actually very few free kicks (Random ref though) and fouls...O tackles are fouls, but the game's does flow very well, there's not a lot of stops, which is good. Hard tackles will get punished, but basically, usin X to pressure, doesnt cause fauls anymore. Sometimes in the penalty area yes, but other times, no. This part of the game is really, really much improved.

I'm getting the hang of the game now. There is NO R2 sidestep, R2 stops you and slows you down, but I've learnt to use that as a dribble...so you do quicker sidestep-ish dribbles by pressing R2 and quickly the d-pad to feint...so you sort of do a move like sidestep, but it's more a dribble forward...if that makes any sense. I keep playing with Real Madrid and I've really been able to use Reyes and Ronaldo's speed and quick turns (these are awesome now, like the way Eto'o turns away from his defender is included...awesome!) to get ahead of defenders.

Thanks for the info Riot. Does the ml still have only 4 leagues, and 16 teams in each league, and other features such as qualification for the wefa championships? Is it still the same?

Riot said:
I know they did a few roster updates a few years ago in Japan, but even that was such a hassle legal-wise, that they have stopped.
That's disappointing. It's typical of this series, unfortunately. They seem unable to introduce a positive addition in each game, without having a negative accompany it. For example, the rosters may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but for those who plan to play online they're absolutely crucial. I've never played it on PS2 online but I know there were ways around having to play with the default kits, etc, bypassing DNAS, but on 360 you're going to be forced to use the default everything when playing online. It's quite disappointing to have a series renowned for it's realistic gameplay and then be forced to play with out of date teams.

Gerd, I know it's a Japanese game at heart, but they also sell it around the world. They are a massive company, and they are responsible for making sure it caters to Western gamers' needs as well. I am not laying the blame at the development team's door here, especially when we're talking about legal matters. Konami charge us full price for their product, we're entitled to some effort in the regionalisation of the game, not "It's really a Japanese game for Japanese people so you'll take whatever you're given and be happy about it". Stuff like Riot's quote above, that it was "too much hassle", that doesn't cut it IMO, it's not good enough. They make tens of millions of euro/GBP/dollars from this franchise alone, the money to improve it is there in spades.

/waits for "Well if you don't like it, then don't buy it" line...

Seems the r2 comments made mean its the same as we10, i know i use the r2 to slow down and dribble (without the old r2 sidestep animation). Makes the game more natural imo. The ML network thingy is interesting though. As the other 5 questions will be the same as we10 (teamtype / Difficulty games / difficulty ML / transfer frequency / development). So im quite curious in which way they have added this feature, could be anything from your own team rating converted to an online league to an online cup tournament integrated in the ML single player.

And dogfighter, who translates this?!, will be a gatusso/sissoko/makalele type player.

So unless they have changed the ML, i fear it will be more like a rating system thingy then actual gameplay/leaguestructure features, then it will be a tweaked we10 without as many goalie cockups.

Riot, could you anwser this question? Do the players and the ball move as fast as they do in WE10? I personally found WE10 to play way too fast, making the gameplay just unrealistic. How is the pace of play in pes6 compared to WE10?

And would you say dribbling is just as easy/effective as in WE10?

I saw one onlinepicture where you could se the text "competition" as an option. I would love to be able to play cups and tournaments with selected players, for example mates that live far from where I live, and still have suspensions and injurys involved.

Professor Nutmeg said:
Fully agree.

Stat talk will only ruin threads like this in my opinion and even possibly take it off-topic if it goes too far.
It's best kept out. Because I can already imagine what sorta 'job' Konami has done research-wise in terms of this new version's database. The same as usual. So talking about this sorta thing really doesn't interest me personally.

Rather in this sorta thread, I want to hear about new features in ML if there is any or game-play related issues and other stuff Riot has been mentioning, giving info on thus far. So thanks for that and now here's something I want to know too.

Abhishek said:
Thanks for the info Riot. Does the ml still have only 4 leagues, and 16 teams in each league, and other features such as qualification for the wefa championships? Is it still the same?
I think we already know the answer deep down inside (It'll be the same) :| but just for sake of having some hope, I'm gonna ask same thing.

It's so easy to change this and improve few other basic ML aspects which will make the experience so much more realistic but I doubt Konami have bothered. :/
Let's see what Riot who actually has a version of the game has to say about it though.

Can you tell us if you've noticed anything different about ML? (WE10 compared to PES6?) apart from the network thing?

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to you Classic...i was referring to the recurrent moans about the roster who are caused by the FIFPRO license... i'm sure you know what i mean...every year there are people who moan about that.

What Konami should do: let the developing to Seabass and his team and take a special European marketing manager who is European and who breathes football...

After a few sessions from a friends dodgy copy of PES6, the game seems more 'refined' than WE10. There just seems to be a very 'genuine' feel to the game despite the small tweaks made in the last few months. Yet more licences would be nice. I think Konami can do alot more in terms of licencing but choose to refine gameplay rather than go through the ardous task of acquiring licences.

mazanga said:
Riot, could you anwser this question? Do the players and the ball move as fast as they do in WE10? I personally found WE10 to play way too fast, making the gameplay just unrealistic. How is the pace of play in pes6 compared to WE10?

And would you say dribbling is just as easy/effective as in WE10?

I've played very little WE10 recently since I didn't like, but seeing as I really really like the movement in PES6, I'd say it's slower and thus much better. I'd say the pace is really good. I haven't dared to try PES5 for a while now though :)

ClassicD said:
That's disappointing. It's typical of this series, unfortunately. They seem unable to introduce a positive addition in each game, without having a negative accompany it. For example, the rosters may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but for those who plan to play online they're absolutely crucial. I've never played it on PS2 online but I know there were ways around having to play with the default kits, etc, bypassing DNAS, but on 360 you're going to be forced to use the default everything when playing online. It's quite disappointing to have a series renowned for it's realistic gameplay and then be forced to play with out of date teams.

Gerd, I know it's a Japanese game at heart, but they also sell it around the world. They are a massive company, and they are responsible for making sure it caters to Western gamers' needs as well. I am not laying the blame at the development team's door here, especially when we're talking about legal matters. Konami charge us full price for their product, we're entitled to some effort in the regionalisation of the game, not "It's really a Japanese game for Japanese people so you'll take whatever you're given and be happy about it". Stuff like Riot's quote above, that it was "too much hassle", that doesn't cut it IMO, it's not good enough. They make tens of millions of euro/GBP/dollars from this franchise alone, the money to improve it is there in spades.

/waits for "Well if you don't like it, then don't buy it" line...

It's not that simple. Do you know how frustrating it is for a person like me who has played the game since it's start and is lucky enough to get to talk to Seabass and co every so often. I ask them for crying out loud "Do you feel like you get enough resources within Konami, because you outsell the Metal Gear Solid franchise worldwide, you should get what you need?"

The answer is polite japanese smiling and "We hope to improve the game every year".

I know there is a lot of frustration at Konami in the UK, France etc because the japanese parent company just doesn't see the value in buying better commentators (the developers dont really know the commentary is not good), adding licensed music or just making the game a bit more "sexier" so it'd be even more succesful. So no stats because they dont want to spend xx amount of dollars/yen/euro to secure the FIFA licence...like I said, they only have a few people working on licenses.

I'd think with 5+ million sales worldwide, there'd be money to spend, but everytime I see Seabass and co, I get the feeling they dont even realize they should get better resources. Smartest thing EA could do is buy Seabass and key people "here's money, renderware tech, ask for whatever you need to make an even better game. We'll handle the licenses etc etc"

I am disappointed that i cant play with updated rosters online, but it doesnt make the game less fun. People who always play with AC Milan and Brazil make it less fun ;) of course, I will beone of those ppl since my Real Madrid is kicking ass in PES6!

Riot said:
It's not that simple. Do you know how frustrating it is for a person like me who has played the game since it's start and is lucky enough to get to talk to Seabass and co every so often. I ask them for crying out loud "Do you feel like you get enough resources within Konami, because you outsell the Metal Gear Solid franchise worldwide, you should get what you need?"

The answer is polite japanese smiling and "We hope to improve the game every year".

I know there is a lot of frustration at Konami in the UK, France etc because the japanese parent company just doesn't see the value in buying better commentators (the developers dont really know the commentary is not good), adding licensed music or just making the game a bit more "sexier" so it'd be even more succesful. So no stats because they dont want to spend xx amount of dollars/yen/euro to secure the FIFA licence...like I said, they only have a few people working on licenses.

I'd think with 5+ million sales worldwide, there'd be money to spend, but everytime I see Seabass and co, I get the feeling they dont even realize they should get better resources. Smartest thing EA could do is buy Seabass and key people "here's money, renderware tech, ask for whatever you need to make an even better game. We'll handle the licenses etc etc"

I am disappointed that i cant play with updated rosters online, but it doesnt make the game less fun. People who always play with AC Milan and Brazil make it less fun ;) of course, I will beone of those ppl since my Real Madrid is kicking ass in PES6!

I know the devs can't be blamed for a lack of funding, all I'm saying is the very fact there is a supposed lack of funding in the first place, as well as a feeble number of localisation and legal staff is just not good enough for a company of that size.

On the other hand, I don't think the devs can escape the blame for the lack of teams, especially when they can easily be put in as unlicensed. Likewise, the shallow aspects of Master League have to be down to them. 'GAME OVER' should not be in a football game's career-styled mode, you should be sacked and then able to move to another club. This isn't a beat 'em up or old-school 2D shooter!

Riot, you remember of some players that have evolved?

By the videos that placed: Raul, Wiltord, fell us attributes and the big majority (some 90%) continued the same...

Grosso, Walcott, Lennon, Fabregas?
Some fall or ascent, drastic?

Thanks.

Riot said:
I've played very little WE10 recently since I didn't like, but seeing as I really really like the movement in PES6, I'd say it's slower and thus much better. I'd say the pace is really good. I haven't dared to try PES5 for a while now though :)

Sounds good. Thanks mate.

I played a beta version of PES6 at the PES5 national finals yesterday and I would say it is very similar to WE10. I disagree about the keepers though and I found them to be very poor on 5*, spilling many shots and letting shots fly past them without reacting correctly. Did like the new animations (compared to WE10) though.

Not liking the fact that the world cup squads are being used - a full year of playing with Owen, Crouch, Rooney and Walcott will get tiresome very soon. I took a small number of pictures and will post them up soon.

Riot said:
You can do the sidestep in PES5 without R2, by just quickly tapping down or up, but you can still do it with R2 too.

You cant do it at all in PES6 and I'm really missing it, I've looked at the instructions/control set up and there's no mention of it anymore. So basically all dribbles are automatic sort of with the d-pad.

I have to say after playing all day, this game is GOOD. Hardly any goalie blunders and some nice CPU goals on four stars against my Real Madrid. I'm really feeling this over WE10, the game feels very, very good after my initial doubts.

I've played a bit of League and the Spanish league has the Kings Cup officially or rather Copa del Rey, which is cool. Also, the fatigue is nowhere near as messed up as in PES5 where players were dying after two matches. They last a whole lot longer now.

The take your team to the World Championships etc is a bit daft since I selected the World Cup mode, but I could only have four teams in the groups and not ...I think it's six that there are right now in real life WC qualifying?

I played pes6 @Leipzig a couple weeks ago and used the R2 sidestep many times... Is it gone in the final!?!?

ClassicD said:
On the other hand, I don't think the devs can escape the blame for the lack of teams, especially when they can easily be put in as unlicensed. Likewise, the shallow aspects of Master League have to be down to them. 'GAME OVER' should not be in a football game's career-styled mode, you should be sacked and then able to move to another club. This isn't a beat 'em up or old-school 2D shooter!

I think even Pondtrout finally realises they can't fob the public off and expect them to swallow another dismal reincarnation of the ML in the next titles... But I wouldn't be too surprised to find only minor changes though. I still think this needs giving to a European based part of the company to sort out, people who actually love, know and watch football.

Zygalski said:
Not liking the fact that the world cup squads are being used - a full year of playing with Owen, Crouch, Rooney and Walcott will get tiresome very soon. I took a small number of pictures and will post them up soon.

Thank God for Edit Mode. ;)

Do we know statistically how inaccurate the keepers are to real life, I know there is a problem with them at the moment, but by the same token I don't want them catching and holding onto every shot!!
I'm sure someone will have and idea using opta stats or something?? Or do they just class a save or a miss save??

thanks for the info, Riot. Can you tell me if Iceland is in there? It was on a teamlist for PES6 in PSM2 but I'm still not optimistic about it. Maybe as an unplayable team in WC challenge?

Back
Top Bottom