Guitar Hero Thread

Activision has confirmed the first flock of songs for Guitar Hero 5, which launches this September on PS2, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360.

It's diverse, as David Bowie plays neighbour to Vampire Weekend and Iggy Pop follows Beastie Boys and Blur. Chart-topper Kings of Leon swaggers in, as does old twiddly-hand Santana, plus there's giant-man Chris Martin with Coldplay, and real-life guitar hero Jeff Beck.

To celebrate the reveal, Activision is giving away a free song by Wolfmother from upcoming album Cosmic Egg. "Back Round" can be downloaded from the official Guitar Hero 5 website.

The first 24 confirmed songs follow. Activision, remember, has already confirmed the 84 bands appearing in Guitar Hero 5.

* Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
* Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
* Beck - "Gamma Ray"
* Billy Squier - "Lonely Is The Night"
* Blur - "Song 2"
* Bob Dylan - "All Along The Watchtower"
* Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
* Coldplay - "In My Place"
* Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
* David Bowie - "Fame"
* Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
* Elliott Smith - "L.A."
* Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life (Live)"
* Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain (Live)"
* John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
* Kings Of Leon - "Sex On Fire"
* Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make It Wit Chu"
* Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
* Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
* The Bronx - "Six Days A Week"
* Thrice - "Deadbolt"
* Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down A Dream"
* Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
* Wolfmother - "Back Round"

Read that this morning and was so overcome by "meh" that I couldnt even be bothered to post it.

Save KoL, QOTSA and Tom Petty, that's awful :(

Guitar Hero 5's tracklist water torture continues today, with Activision announcing 22 more tracks for the game, along with shots of the game's new drum kit.

The drums themselves look a lot like the old drums except for one key feature: the cymbals, which now look normal, as opposed to something you'd find on an electronic kit from 1986. Course, other people will say they look less like normal drums and more like Rock Band drums, but hey, to each their own.

As far as the 22 new tracks go, it's an eclectic mix, elevated in this writer's humble opinion solely by the inclusion of "Maiden, Mother & Crone".

Attack! Attack! UK - "You And Me"
Bon Jovi - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
Darker My Love - "Blue Day"
The Duke Spirit - "Send A Little Love Token"
Elton John - "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)"
Face To Face - "Disconnected"
Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
Kaiser Chiefs - "Never Miss A Beat"
Kiss - "Shout It Out Loud"
Love and Rockets - "Mirror People"
My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday"
Nirvana - "Lithium (Live)"
The Police - "So Lonely"
Rammstein – "Du Hast"
The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy For The Devil"
Sonic Youth - "Incinerate"
Screaming Trees - "Nearly Lost You"
Sublime - "What I Got"
The Sword - "Maiden, Mother & Crone"
Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl"
The White Stripes - "Blue Orchid"

:ROLL:

I'll never get a GH game again, I'm even regretting keeping the drums now because they're just not as solid as the Rock Band ones.

The new one is sounding just as shite as the last one.

Likewise, Chris. I've just had GH Greatest Hits delivered from Tesco Rentals and it's just so poor compared to RB. Like comparing PES to FIFA I guess.

Nooo, Charlton are much better than any of League One teams. We'll win the league this year at a canter.

Christ, the set list for GH5 is awful - to the point of me seriously considering passing on it.

I actually enjoyed WT's set list (being a bit older than most of you ;)) ), but this is shite. And why so many live versions, they are horrible to play - especially sing due to all the adlibs.

Screaming Tree's, Garbage and Tom Petty from that list for me are the only ones I'm remotely interested in.

Hey, i have a question: I have Guitar Hero metallica for the PS3. Can I download Death Magnetic from the PS3 Store and play it in Guitar Hero Metallica ?

Thanks for the answear.

greetings

Activision has completed the Guitar Hero 5 track list and named the final 15 songs.

Among them are videogame debuts for Dire Straits with "Sultans of Swing" and Arctic Monkeys with "Brianstorm". The final tally now sits at 85, all of which will be available to play from the start, remember.

Guitar Hero 5 is due out this September on PS2, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360.

The 15 new songs are followed by the full, confirmed tracklist below.

3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
Arctic Monkeys - "Brianstorm"
Blink-182 - "The Rock Show"
Dire Straits - "Sultans Of Swing"
Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"
Johnny Cash - "Ring Of Fire"
Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets"
Mötley Crüe - "Looks That Kill"
Muse - "Plug In Baby"
Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Queen & David Bowie - "Under Pressure"
Stevie Wonder - "Superstition"
The Killers - "All The Pretty Faces"
The Raconteurs - "Steady As She Goes"
TV On The Radio - "Wolf Like Me"
The rest:

A Perfect Circle - "Judith"
AFI - "Medicate"
Attack! Attack! UK - "You And Me"
Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
Beck - "Gamma Ray"
Billy Idol - "Dancing With Myself"
Billy Squier - "Lonely Is The Night"
Blur - "Song 2"
Bob Dylan - "All Along The Watchtower"
Bon Jovi - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
Brand New - "Sowing Season (Yeah)"
The Bronx - "Six Days A Week"
Bush - "Comedown"
Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
Coldplay - "In My Place"
Darker My Love - "Blue Day"
Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
David Bowie - "Fame"
Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
The Derek Trucks Band - "Younk Funk"
The Duke Spirit - "Send A Little Love Token"
Duran Duran - "Hungry Like The Wolf"
Eagles Of Death Metal - "Wannabe In L.A."
Elliott Smith - "L.A."
Elton John - "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)"
Face To Face - "Disconnected"
Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
Gov't Mule - "Streamline Woman"
Grand Funk Railroad - "We're An American Band"
Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life (Live)"
Iron Maiden - "2 Minutes To Midnight"
Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain (Live)"
John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
Kaiser Chiefs - "Never Miss A Beat"
King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man"
Kings Of Leon - "Sex On Fire"
Kiss - "Shout It Out Loud"
Love and Rockets - "Mirror People"
My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday"
Nirvana - "Lithium (Live)"
No Doubt - "Ex-Girlfriend"
Peter Frampton - "Do You Feel Like We Do? (Live)"
The Police - "So Lonely"
Public Enemy Featuring Zakk Wylde - "Bring the Noise 20XX"
Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make It Wit Chu"
Rammstein - "Du Hast"
The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy For The Devil"
Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
Rush - "The Spirit Of Radio (Live)"
Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
Scars On Broadway - "They Say"
Screaming Trees - "Nearly Lost You"
Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
Sonic Youth - "Incinerate"
Spacehog - "In The Meantime"
Sublime - "What I Got"
Sunny Day Real Estate - "Seven"
T. Rex - "20th Century Boy"
The Sword - "Maiden, Mother & Crone"
Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"
Thrice - "Deadbolt"
Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down A Dream"
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl"
Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
Weezer - "Why Bother?"
The White Stripes - "Blue Orchid"
Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music"
Wolfmother - "Back Round"

So pleased Sultans is in. Been learning it on the drums and its just an epic tune. I'd still say that list is 70% junk though, but I'm a sucker for these games so will get the solus.

Cannot believe its out in 4 weeks too! September is gonna be an amazing month for gamers.

I genuinely hope that nobody buys a Guitar Hero game ever again so that it will fuck off and die. It doesn't compare to Rock Band in the least, the sooner they give up the sooner Rock Band can grab the licenses to a few more songs.

I genuinely hope that nobody buys a Guitar Hero game ever again so that it will fuck off and die. It doesn't compare to Rock Band in the least, the sooner they give up the sooner Rock Band can grab the licenses to a few more songs.

Drumming is still better in GH ;)

It doesn't compare to Rock Band in the least, the sooner they give up the sooner Rock Band can grab the licenses to a few more songs.

I think things have changed or will change soon.
The labels will pay to appear on the game so the 1st brand to offer a service like iTunes will win.

Drumming is still better in GH ;)

There's no doubt the drumming is more accurate to the songs and realistic (and hence more challenging...a good thing) in GH but simply in terms of the songs available and the chart features (fill and overdrive > wavy line during quiet parts and SP anyday), RB is far more enjoyable to play. I only really play GH for Everlong, Misery Business and Losing Touch, where I have a good 10-20 in my usual list I would play in rock band. Mostly DLC, but hey - GH doesnt even offer decent DLC (aside from losing touch as mentioned above)...

There's no doubt the drumming is more accurate to the songs and realistic (and hence more challenging...a good thing) in GH but simply in terms of the songs available and the chart features (fill and overdrive > wavy line during quiet parts and SP anyday), RB is far more enjoyable to play. I only really play GH for Everlong, Misery Business and Losing Touch, where I have a good 10-20 in my usual list I would play in rock band. Mostly DLC, but hey - GH doesnt even offer decent DLC (aside from losing touch as mentioned above)...

Agreed the DLC in GH is woeful - I had a look at the list on Wiki yesterday just to see the last ones I brought for GH and it was back in Feb, where Rock Band will normally have at least 1 song every week or so I like and get.

What lets GH down on the DLC front is not allowing single purchases. For example, I would have brought "The Bitter End" by Placebo (no, not THAT one!) if it wasnt in a pack.

Before I learnt the drums, I would have said RB was superb for drumming, but it just feels so artificial. GH is my no means perfect on that score, but at least it is closer - if a ride cymbal part is coming, you know thats gonna be on Orange, toms on blue and green and if the hi-hat is open, you know its a harder hit on yellow. Its crap on RB to have open hi-hat hits on blue or green, then back to blue (in the same song) for cymbal crashes etc.

Might be my age too, but I like a lot of the GHWT tracks - got all the Eagles stuff, Wings, Doors, Hendrix etc... the tracklistings on all these games are down to personal taste though.

Old thread I know, but I'm also quite disappointed with this years song selection. I'm happy with a few choices (the last 15 ones in particular). However, I will still get the game because I cannot get Rock band here in Thailand.

Does anyone know if the old drums that I have from World Tour will work on this new one? (stupid question I know!)

Agreed the DLC in GH is woeful - I had a look at the list on Wiki yesterday just to see the last ones I brought for GH and it was back in Feb, where Rock Band will normally have at least 1 song every week or so I like and get.

What lets GH down on the DLC front is not allowing single purchases. For example, I would have brought "The Bitter End" by Placebo (no, not THAT one!) if it wasnt in a pack.

Before I learnt the drums, I would have said RB was superb for drumming, but it just feels so artificial. GH is my no means perfect on that score, but at least it is closer - if a ride cymbal part is coming, you know thats gonna be on Orange, toms on blue and green and if the hi-hat is open, you know its a harder hit on yellow. Its crap on RB to have open hi-hat hits on blue or green, then back to blue (in the same song) for cymbal crashes etc.

Might be my age too, but I like a lot of the GHWT tracks - got all the Eagles stuff, Wings, Doors, Hendrix etc... the tracklistings on all these games are down to personal taste though.

Ive played the drums for 2 years and I agree that GH feels better with the ride...but at the end of the day...anything you are hitting just goes thud and to me for the purposes of gaming, adding the ride did very little for the overall experience. The reason we all play is just to feel some rythym, and that comes across in both games regardless of what pad you hit, but moreso in RB simply because I prefer the songs.

That said, there is not one song in rock band that I will really struggle on. Run to the hills is nowhere near as difficult as common opinion says - a lot of RB/GH drummers are amateurs and struggle on speedy songs, so it got a nasty reputation. The only vaguely difficult songs are smooth criminal, move along (all american rejects) and parts of we wont get fooled again.

Contrast that with GH and it throws up the difficulty, all of the tool songs are insane, as well as songs like scream aim fire etc. which is nice, because if the game isnt challenging its as boring as bats piss.

The only reason I prefer RB is the chart structure - and i actually like having open hats on blue or green - it requires you to actually listen to the song and adjust. On GH people just keep hitting the yellow cymbal regardless and most are oblivious that open hats even exist...

Activision is offering a free copy of Guitar Hero: Van Halen to anyone pre-ordering Guitar Hero 5.

There is some small print. This is a limited-time offer supported locally by only Play.com and Amazon.co.uk. And the GH5 website links go only to Xbox 360 guitar-plus-game bundles.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/9973175/Guitar-Hero-5/Product.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Hero..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1247493415&sr=8-4

Weirdly, neither retailer mentions the deal.

Guitar Hero: Van Halen won't be out in Europe until next year, although North Americans can buy the game three days before Christmas. But will there be any shelf space next to Turbo Man?

This offer is in stark contrast to recent pricing strategies by Activision, which have seen the SRP of Modern Warfare upped to £55, and copies of DJ Hero-plus-turntable or Tony Hawk-plus-skateboard costing over £100.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/buy-gh5-and-get-van-halen-free

Back
Top Bottom