GAMSPOT: of a near-finished version of Konami's upcoming soccer game

WE9

Non-League
10 June 2005
In my home
Arsenal
We get an exclusive hands on of a near-finished version of Konami's upcoming soccer game.
Already available in Europe as Pro Evolution Soccer 5, and currently scheduled for North American release in February, World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 is the latest entry in Konami's long-running series of soccer games. One of the strengths of Konami's Winning Eleven series is that every new game manages to improve upon its predecessor quite noticeably, but that the games never change so dramatically that they might feel unfamiliar to fans. We've recently got our hands on a near-finished North American version of World Soccer Winning Eleven 9, and although we've not yet been able to spend as much time with the game as we'd like, we're pleased to report that Konami's Tokyo-based development team looks to have improved upon its near-perfect soccer game again.

Although its presentation is far more stylish this year, Winning Eleven 9's main menu screen will look pretty familiar if you're a fan of the series. You can opt to play a quick match, manage an up-and-coming team in the "master league" career mode, compete in league and cup competitions, or hone your skills in a series of training exercises. Unfamiliar to North American fans, though, will be the network play option, which lets you take on other Winning Eleven 9 players online. Network play was a feature of the series in other territories last year, but was removed from the North American version of Winning Eleven 8 for reasons unknown. Another neat new gameplay option in Winning Eleven 9 is the "memorial match" versus mode, which will let you and your friends keep track of your results against each other across multiple sessions.

What you want to know right now, of course, is how Winning Eleven 9 will differ from the previous game once you step out onto the field with your chosen team, but before we get to that we really have to tell you about the upcoming game's edit mode. Although Winning Eleven games have always offered realistic and enjoyable soccer, many fans of the sport have been turned off by the fact that the games don't boast nearly as many licensed teams as EA Sports' FIFA offerings. Winning Eleven 9 will not only feature more officially licensed teams than any of its predecessors (including Arsenal, Chelsea, Rangers and Celtic), but will also boast powerful editing tools that let you customize the appearances and names of players and teams, the names of stadiums and competitions, and even to create custom boot designs using a system not dissimilar to that used for custom team emblems in previous games. Licensed Adidas boots are a feature of the game anyway, but if you'd rather see your players sporting a pair of Umbros, Nikes, or Pumas, for example, you'll need to experiment with the various templates and stencils on offer. As an added incentive to experiment with the edit mode, any custom players and teams that you create can be copied to your PSP for use in the handheld version of the game.

Once your chosen team steps out onto the field, you'll immediately notice that the player likenesses in Winning Eleven 9 are by far the most realistic to grace the series to date. Depending on where your match is taking place, you might also recognize one of the world's most famous stadiums, even if its default name is incorrect and it's filled with blocky-looking cardboard spectators who aren't nearly as animated as the game's superb crowd noises suggest. Once the game kicks off, those of you who are fans of the series could be forgiven for thinking that very little has changed since Winning Eleven 8, and as far as the gameplay basics are concerned you'd be right. Look a little deeper, though, and you'll find that producer Shingo "Seabass" Takatsuka and his team have been busy.

The game's control setup is largely unchanged, although a few tweaks have been implemented that you'll certainly want to familiarize yourself with. Shots on goal appear to be more difficult to get on target in Winning Eleven 9, for example, but you can improve your chances by holding the R2 button while shooting to unleash a more accurate "controlled shot". It's also possible to adjust the strength of your shots using the X and triangle buttons now, though we've enjoyed little success with this technique thus far. When playing against CPU opposition, you'll also have to get used to a more fast-paced passing game of soccer than you might be used to, because even on the game's easier skill settings the opposing players are quick to apply pressure when they don't have the ball. The intelligence of the players that we weren't controlling directly during our time with the game rarely failed to impress, actually, to the point that we were admiring the opposing team's defensive players rather than cursing our forwards whenever they were caught in an offside position.

Nice-looking snowy weather conditions aside, we've really very little else to report on Winning Eleven 9 at this point. We'll be spending some more time with the game in the coming weeks, though, so expect further updates as its February release date closes in

I hope the game is more like WE9 than PES5, as I prefer the feel of WE9 better.

ThomasGOAL said:
why you speak about WE9 USA ? it's a simply copy of PES 5 :roll:

Exactly! Near finished my ass!

Any of us could convert PES5 to WE9:International in 10 minutes. All you have to do is add a new title screen and have a voice saying "Winning Eleven 9 International" instead of "Pro Evolution Soccer 5"!!!

Last edited:
In the article the writer states that you can control strength of the shot using X and triangle buttons. Can we do this now in Pro Evo 5?

tuftobeat6 said:
In the article the writer states that you can control strength of the shot using X and triangle buttons. Can we do this now in Pro Evo 5?

Yes. As I said, it's identical. Even the rosters (which will be 6+ months old by the date of release) are identical including the bogus USA player names so we don't even have the real names for the national team in the country of release - thanks Konami!

TheWolf said:
Yes. As I said, it's identical. Even the rosters (which will be 6+ months old by the date of release) are identical including the bogus USA player names so we don't even have the real names for the national team in the country of release - thanks Konami!

WE9I , will have some subtle gameplay differences than PES5. The series always has.

I expect the 'no crowd' to be fixed. Crossing and throughs balanced out better. The 'deep lying' defences to be adjusted as well. Any some new tricks/moves/or feature introduced.

Cheers.

The International version is always the smoother version of all. It has subtle gameplay differences and I always find it the best gameplay wise. I also expect the packing defenses to be fixed and high through chips a little better.

Dar said:
But whats to "fix"? It wasn't a glitch or mistake to begin with. ;)

It's purely for framerate issues.
i think he means they will put an option to turn the crowd on or off. they had it in we9jl.

drekkard said:
The International version is always the smoother version of all. It has subtle gameplay differences and I always find it the best gameplay wise. I also expect the packing defenses to be fixed and high through chips a little better.

The crowd bug will still be there, the defenses will remain the same and the through chips will remain unchanged. The rosters will also be from the middle of August 2005 (i.e. out of date!) and the USA team will remain with fake names despite this being a North American release.

If you hope for any more than that, you are going to be seriously disappointed come release day. There will be no changes I can guarantee you. Konami America don't do any programming whatsoever. They are solely a distribution arm and a pathetic one at that. The changes are done for them (i.e. the title screen and the box) and they then simply sit with their thumbs up their asses for 5 months before they decide to release the game because they think if they release it pre-MLS season it will sell more copies.

TheWolf said:
The crowd bug will still be there, the defenses will remain the same and the through chips will remain unchanged. The rosters will also be from the middle of August 2005 (i.e. out of date!) and the USA team will remain with fake names despite this being a North American release.

If you hope for any more than that, you are going to be seriously disappointed come release day. There will be no changes I can guarantee you. Konami America don't do any programming whatsoever. They are solely a distribution arm and a pathetic one at that. The changes are done for them (i.e. the title screen and the box) and they then simply sit with their thumbs up their asses for 5 months before they decide to release the game because they think if they release it pre-MLS season it will sell more copies.

Compare WE8 ,PES4 and WE8I. I've played all 3. (as well as WE8LE). But lets not talk bout LE since that was more of a testbed version for online paly, sort of a precursor to WE9.

WE8I, introduced the player growth and training systems just to name one I think. Which were not in WE8. The gameplay speed also was better tahn PES4 arcade fest. I still feel that there will be some changes (nothing major though).

And yes, what I meant about the crowd is tuning the engine so that crowds can be displayed with no framerate drop. I'm was fully aware thet they ere ommitted as part of a design decision to adress framerate issues in WE9/PES5. Looks like theyve sorted it out in WE9JL so, that code build would be the basis for the US release. Localisation is not a big deal.

I'm eagerly awating the February release date.

Cheers mates.

The version the US gets is always just a straight port of PES with no additions. PES seems to be their codebase not any Japanese releases that have come out since.

Mart said:
The version the US gets is always just a straight port of PES with no additions. PES seems to be their codebase not any Japanese releases that have come out since.

Exactly, we're about as likely to get a port of WE9:JL as we are to get a pre-version of WE10... i.e. no freaking chance!

The crowd bug will still be there without a doubt, the port will be of PES5 and nothing more. That "near-finished" version review is BS! Do you think those guys played PES5 prior to the game they played? Of course not, otherwise they would have highlighted some differences such as a fixed crowd bug but it's obvious the last version they played was WE8:I.

They could release WE9:I the same day as PES5 but like I said, Konami America have this screwy marketing plan that makes them think they'll sell more copies delaying the game for 5 months to be close to the pre-MLS season. They fail to realize that by then, anybody half serious about the game will have bought or downloaded PES5 and won't bother shelling out more money for the same dang game which is 5 months later!

If anybody has any pets which get bored during the day due to infrequent walks etc. then send them to work for the marketing and P.R. department for Konami America because they could do a better job even if they just crapped around the office all day.

This isn't a blast at Konami of Japan or the PES5 game, just a blast at the fact WE9:I is a 5 month late direct port by lazy bastards who can't even update their website correctly or do anything other than change a freaking box cover!

I think they underestimate the football public of north America. When I lived in Toronto, WE/PES sold out.... and by that I mean the imported ones or pirated ones. Note that this was before WE7i/WE8i even came out.

I live in the US and received my copy of the Official Playstation Magazine a couple of days ago. It was a demo of WE9I on it. I have WE9 the Japanese version and didn't really tell of any differences in gameplay. Their are 4 teams you can play with (Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Valencia). I noticed Madrid has the updated kits as well as Valencia. Arsenal and Chelsea are the same as WE9 Japan version. I haven't played WE9 Japan in a while so when I played the US version it felt the same, but not to sure since I've only played one match. No crowd noise at all and you can only play one half for five minutes. It goes quick. The start up screen was the same when you boot up the game. Nippon challenge is gone and the background is of generic soccer players doing moves. The only option is 'match'. If anyone else has played it, let me know.

"This isn't a blast at Konami of Japan or the PES5 game, just a blast at the fact WE9:I is a 5 month late direct port by lazy bastards who can't even update their website correctly or do anything other than change a freaking box cover!"

I agree with you except it's not quite 5 months. Late October till early February is more like 3.5 months, but that's still too long.

Yeah, but that's not the game code WE9I is based on. I doubt anyone in America would complain if WE9I got released in October 2005 at the same time PES 5 was released.

Back
Top Bottom