Games that stuck with you.

abcdefg1

League 2
9 October 2012
Wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it if needs be.

I downloaded SWOS onto my laptop last night and have been having a blast.

It brings back so many memories and for some reason 1 game I had on the Mega Drive version back in the 90s, is still clear as day.

So, it got me thinking, across all the footy games you've ever played/owned, are there any 'one off matches' that have stuck with you.

Mine are as follows...

Sensible Soccer - Mega Drive
Man City 3-3 Spurs

Me and my Dad would always play sensi when I went to stay at his house. I'd make sure the squads were edited, then we'd pick a team each and do a Cup. That 3-3 with Spurs was epic. I picked to be Man City. I still remember to this day that it was a case of 'They score, I score' and with about 5 mins left, Uwe Rosler put away a diving header to make it 3 each. I was jumping around the room cos I'd earned a replay 😂

CM 01/02
AC Milan 4-0 Newcastle

I'd skip college, ring in sick for my part time job and go on 3 day benders with this game. I was addicted to it.
I vividly remember it was about 3am. I had probably been on it for the best part of 2 days. I had taken my Newcastle team to the European Cup Semi Finals. We hammered Milan 3-0 at home, Bassedas running the show.
Then it went tits up. 2 down with about 10 mins to play, I was still on course for the final. Then Shay Given got sent off, they equalise. 2 mins later, sub 'keeper Steve Harper gets sent off, they score the winner. I went mad, the lack of sleep, the amazement at what I'd witnessed saw me punch my monitor and break it. I then electrocuted myself trying to fix it and sobbed myself to sleep 😂😂😂

PES 2015
Benfica 5-0 Chelsea

I played about 40 seasons on this game, my save started at Blackburn, then I ended up in Portugal with Benfica. I aimed to make them the best side in Europe and that was confirmed in the Champions League Final v Chelsea. I remember we'd got through the Semi's not very conviningly and Chelsea had a quality side. Regen Claudio Pizarro was my main man, 90 rated and a goal machine. He destroyed Chelsea with a hat-trick in 30mins. He added his and our 4th in the 2nd half before a late OG rubbed the salt into the wounds. The team I'd assembled literally blew them away and after about 8 or 9 failed attempts, I'd won the ultimate club prize.

FIFA 16
Leeds United 4-3 Huddersfield Town

Finally, the last FIFA I really spent much time with. My 1st next gen console was an Xbox so with lack of editing for PES on it, I got FIFA. I started a career mode with Leeds and signed some striker from the German 2nd division called Rubin Okotie. He clattered in goals and with 1 game remaining, I needed to win to get into the playoffs.
Huddersfield went 2 up and I was all over the place. We got 1 back, then they scored again. We needed 3 goals with about 30mins to play. Okotie then smashed in a quick fire double. In the 83rd min, I won a corner, flashed it across the box and a massive scrambled ensued. I had about 3 shots blocked, hit the post, then the ball dropped to Okotie about 25 yards out and he leathered it into the top corner. Bare in mind, I'm what - probably 32/33 years old at the time - yet I knee slide across the lounge floor, chanting Okoties name, while my wife and 2 kids run in from the kitchen thinking I've lost my mind 😁

It's funny how these 4 games have stayed with me and I do think the best moments aren't always winning a cup or league, it's usually when you think you've lost or have no hope then turn it around.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has any that they will never forget.

It brings back so many memories and for some reason 1 game I had on the Mega Drive version back in the 90s, is still clear as day.

So, it got me thinking, across all the footy games you've ever played/owned, are there any 'one off matches' that have stuck with you.

Mine are as follows...

Man City 3-3 Spurs

Me and my Dad would always play sensi when I went to stay at his house. I'd make sure the squads were edited, then we'd pick a team each and do a Cup. That 3-3 with Spurs was epic. I picked to be Man City. I still remember to this day that it was a case of 'They score, I score' and with about 5 mins left, Uwe Rosler put away a diving header to make it 3 each. I was jumping around the room cos I'd earned a replay 😂

CM 01/02
AC Milan 4-0 Newcastle

I'd skip college, ring in sick for my part time job and go on 3 day benders with this game. I was addicted to it.
I vividly remember it was about 3am. I had probably been on it for the best part of 2 days. I had taken my Newcastle team to the European Cup Semi Finals. We hammered Milan 3-0 at home, Bassedas running the show.
Then it went tits up. 2 down with about 10 mins to play, I was still on course for the final. Then Shay Given got sent off, they equalise. 2 mins later, sub 'keeper Steve Harper gets sent off, they score the winner. I went mad, the lack of sleep, the amazement at what I'd witnessed saw me punch my monitor and break it. I then electrocuted myself trying to fix it and sobbed myself to sleep 😂😂😂

PES 2015
Benfica 5-0 Chelsea

I played about 40 seasons on this game, my save started at Blackburn, then I ended up in Portugal with Benfica. I aimed to make them the best side in Europe and that was confirmed in the Champions League Final v Chelsea. I remember we'd got through the Semi's not very conviningly and Chelsea had a quality side. Regen Claudio Pizarro was my main man, 90 rated and a goal machine. He destroyed Chelsea with a hat-trick in 30mins. He added his and our 4th in the 2nd half before a late OG rubbed the salt into the wounds. The team I'd assembled literally blew them away and after about 8 or 9 failed attempts, I'd won the ultimate club prize.

FIFA 16

Finally, the last FIFA I really spent much time with. My 1st next gen console was an Xbox so with lack of editing for PES on it, I got FIFA. I started a career mode with Leeds and signed some striker from the German 2nd division called Rubin Okotie. He clattered in goals and with 1 game remaining, I needed to win to get into the playoffs.
Huddersfield went 2 up and I was all over the place. We got 1 back, then they scored again. We needed 3 goals with about 30mins to play. Okotie then smashed in a quick fire double. In the 83rd min, I won a corner, flashed it across the box and a massive scrambled ensued. I had about 3 shots blocked, hit the post, then the ball dropped to Okotie about 25 yards out and he leathered it into the top corner. Bare in mind, I'm what - probably 32/33 years old at the time - yet I knee slide across the lounge floor, chanting Okoties name, while my wife and 2 kids run in from the kitchen thinking I've lost my mind 😁

It's funny how these 4 games have stayed with me and I do think the best moments aren't always winning a cup or league, it's usually when you think you've lost or have no hope then turn it around.

Great, great stories. This reminds me of when living at my brother's and playing CM4 and I kicked a mini football through the living room window, right as I conceded, and it was confirmed my Forest Green Rovers team were relegated from The National League. I never did tell my brother the real reason why his window was smashed.

My family were away on holiday and my monitor broke, so as a teen I bought a BIG fat ass PC monitor just to play CM and the PC shop I bought it from was around 6 miles from my home. So I had a problem, as I had no more money and the monitor was extremely heavy. Luckily I found a shopping trolley near the shop and then put the monitor in it and pushed it all the way home. Most of the journey was uphill, it was a hot summer's day and I was destroyed getting it home.

I was also addicted to CM, I would play it ALLDAY, EVERYDAY, literally only breaking for a few minutes for 2 things, toilet and food. I did this for months on end when playing CM00/01. Nothing else mattered, I was 17 and no job and no college yet. So it was everything and it was a drug. And I regret nothing :) It was all engrossing, I loved designing my own tactics and finding my own players and it felt fantastic. Probably didn't smell fantastic though, as my hygiene took a hit!

Last edited:
Haha brilliant.

I remember at secondary school I had to take my French book up to be marked.

My French teacher opened it the wrong way, so the first page he saw was the back of the book.

He said 'Stuart, why are there row after row of foreign sounding names and little diagrams in here'. I was like, oh shit, sorry sir that's my Champ Manager scouting list and tactics stuff 😂😂 I'd say 90% of all my school books were littered with CM related info, great days.

And you are right about nothing else mattered, it literally consumed me. I'd go down the shop, buy a tub of pringles, a 2 litre bottle of coke, and that's all I'd live on for the next 48 hours while trying to rescue someone from the brink of relegation out of Division 3.

I'd find even when I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, I'd get in bed and just have thoughts of 'Maybe if I change Byron Bubb's runs to inverted, it might help the striker' and bang, I'm loading it back up, suddenly wide awake again.

Yep, I did the exact same thing. I constantly wrote player names down and drew tactics and formations. I was good at the game, no cheating, no cheat players and often relied on released free youth players. I was only good cos I put so much thought and attention into the game, more than any job I've ever had!

Mine are as follows...

Man City 3-3 Spurs

CM 01/02
AC Milan 4-0 Newcastle

PES 2015
Benfica 5-0 Chelsea

FIFA 16

Interesting topic! :DD

i've always played Winning Eleven as a kid, with little to no absolute knowledge of football. But i remember one game that always stuck on my mind even after all these years, the match that i destroyed a team that i don't remember 10-0 with AC Milan ( i'm pretty sure Balotelli scored more than 5 ) !
the game is Winning Eleven 10 with 2013/14 indonesian patch, if i remember correctly.

there's also a match that me and my dad drawed 5-5 on pes 2018 and laughing together after the match, but i don't remember which teams we picked. i'm pretty sure we used local teams:))

Hard to remember specific games... I played so many PES games throughout the years but for some reason the one I remember the most is I'd say around 25 years ago. I had just gotten back from school and gotten my report card (not good) and decided to de-stress playing my ML with Barca (this was probably Winning Eleven 3 or 4), I had the pirated playstation one which only had the Japanese commentary. Anyway, of all the games, I remember this vividly (Barca away yellow kit) because I believe it was Inter walloped me 1-5, restarted lost again, etc. Thats it... broke my controller that day. I guess that's why I remember it. I wish I could go back to simpler times... building that ML team was so much fun

PES 2016 with PTE Patch. A Tottenham Hotspur Master League. It was probably the greatest ML's I've ever played and the most emotional.
Anyway, it was the Europa League QF home fixture hosting Napoli in White Hart Lane, 3-0 in the first half all of which came from none other than Harry Kane, second half 3 more, scored by Clinton N'Jie, Eriksen and my winter signing Nabil Dirar. Napoli were shit at that game, they couldn't get near the final third of the pitch. Lo and behold they obliterated me away 7-0, it was the day I hated the real life version of Dries Mertens, 2 finess shot goals from just outside the box from the left side, and then just before half time he went full on bend-it-like-Dries converting two free kicks past Paulo Gazzaniga (whom surprisingly I bought before Spurs did in real life). Second half, 3 goals from Hamšik, El Kaddouri and Insigne made me question my existence as it sealed the SF spot to Napoli with a 6-7 aggregate. I was lost whether to think about what did just happen or turn of my pc and go to sleep. Napoli went on to win the trophy against Sevilla (iirc) and I went to win the Premier League, but these curled shots from Mertens, I just can't get them out of my mind 🤣

Wow there are a lot of games that bring awesome memories, where I actually celebrated and jumped up and down!!
But there are two that PARTICULARLY stick with me throughout time and memories....
1689391282112.png
1. When I won the AFC Champions League with exiled Argentinean manager Angel Comizzo, in Japan with my invented team, Gunma United, (PES 2021)
(Read all about it here) :RSCARF:

1689391389461.png
2. Gianluca Lapadula scoring the game winner for Reggina in the last match of his footballing career, with Roberto Baggio as his manager! (PES 2017)
(You can read all about it here) :TU:

I love Pro Evolution Soccer!! :BSCARF: :TU:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom