Gadgets Thread

I don't understand your question.

Convert what to what?
MP3 to --> xyz

The Nokias can use MP3 as ringtone, or are you asking something else?

ash

What!?! It doesn't accept MP3 as ringtone?!! MAD!

Okay, what file type does it need to be?

My current wishlist (in order of "badly want" to "maybe when I win the lottery"):

1) Logitech G7 Cordless Gaming Mouse
2) Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
3) Nintendo DS homebrew kit
4) Official Xbox 360 Wireless Steering Wheel
5) Decent-sized USB flash drive
6) iPhone
7) Barcode Battler (anyone remember these?)
8) PlayStation 3

Ahh... well I just bought one of these:
1004618m.jpg

I didn't want to tug along my Zen Vision:M with me all the time, so bough this, nice and small. I wanted the iPod Shuffle, either generations, but too expensive.

TBH, I am not really that impressed by the iPhone. Sure, it's looks brilliant, and has a fantastic UI, but for 500$, I was expecting many more features. I would rather go for a Helio Ocean or a Sony Ericsson W960i.

Have a look at this comparison

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2007/06/6-29-07-comparisonchart.jpg

Seriously, for 500$, you are expecting at least the ability to record videos, and set your own MP3s as ringtones.

Last edited:
I'm distinctly unimpressed with the iPhone after seeing that comparison. I don't care if it looks fancy, the lack of features is shite.

^Exact same here. I was expecting so much from the hype it was getting. I am really disappointed, I was almost certain to buy it. :(

But you are paying 500$ just for the Apple brand. Sure it looks absolutely STUNNING, but I don't see anything revolutionary in it.

@Milanista, I don't see why it's the first of its kind. None of the features are first of their kind, I think it's just the Apple hype that it's getting. Sure, the iPod was the first of it's kind (but which is now inferior to the Creative Zen Vision IMO), but ever since then every Apple product has been given the label of 'revolutionary'.

Really, I was excited when I first heard about it, but from the lack of features, 500$ is a ridiculous price for it.

First of its kind? I thought it ripped off the LG Prada phone.

Don't know if this is the right thread, sorry if it isn't.

Where's the best place to get a Logitech G7 laser mouse from? I've looked across a ton of UK sites and I can't find any that sell it, and the one or two that make it onto eBay end up going for ridiculous prices.

Ahh... well I just bought one of these:
1004618m.jpg
same here. I bought this in March and I must admit I'm really satisfied with it.
The feature I liked most is that finally I can listen to any live album I want without those annoying little (VERY little) pauses between one track and another that the majority of the mp3 players have..

..and for the iphone, I'm NOT even going to think about buying it. My wonderful L7, despite being seen by the most people as a shite phone, has everything I need.

Judging from some of the reviews I've been reading, they're not that honest. :eh: But they're affiliated with Misco.co.uk and I've ordered from them quite a few times so... What the hell, I'll trust them.

I mean, $70 plus $9 is $79 (£40, or £45 if the shipping is the higher rate). I was looking at eBay the other day and one went for nearly £70 (which is $140). Now I really want this mouse but I'm not going to pay that much.

It's only for my graphics work, I can't get used to tablets and I hate it when you're trying to move one pixel across the screen and you end up moving six pixels.

Perhaps I should get a wired mouse, actually. I'm presuming it does that "jump" because of a low DPI, but perhaps it's because of the wireless receiver.

EDIT: Just did a bit of research, apparently it's more to do with the number of hertz of the USB receiver. If you have a 2000dpi mouse and a 500hz USB receiver (both G7 specifications) then it's supposed to be pretty great. I can't wait to get hold of one.

Last edited:
I didn't know about this phone till just now. Looks very similar to the iPhone indeed, when did it come out?

Not sure when but its been a while. Whenever you see a mobile phone ad in the papers and it advertised a "new secret designer phone", they were talking about this.

Damn it, just tried to order from that TigerDirect.com site and I get told I can only pay via a wire transfer and not by credit card or Paypal (?!). There goes that idea. :(

Can't you just get it from a computer hardware retail store? I always buy them from retail stores, except memoryc and sidewinder.

iPhone battery life is very impressive, as stated by Engadget.

Playing relatively high bitrate VGA H.264 videos, our iPhone lasted almost exactly 9 freaking hours of continuous playback with cell and WiFi on (but Bluetooth off). Yeah, we had to pick our jaws up off the floor, too. So by our tests, you could watch a two hour movie and drain off a little more than 22% of the battery -- totally acceptable for trip-taking and the like.

Our music testing showed similarly outstanding results. Playing back 160-192Kbps MP3s, our iPhone pushed about 29 hours and 30 minutes music playback. To put that in perspective, the Apple claims the iPod nano gets about 24 hours playback on a full charge, and the iPod a scant 14 - 20 hours.

To do a little simple math, you could watch two hours of video, listen to 8 straight hours of music, and still have only drained off less than half your device's capacity -- that is, if your iPhone's battery works as well as ours. (Read: your battery life may differ.) Still, if that's a good estimate of what users can expect from their device's power drain, you should have little issue making the iPhone your music and video player, in addition to your cellphone.

How does this fare against other phones these days?

Can't you just get it from a computer hardware retail store? I always buy them from retail stores, except memoryc and sidewinder.
They don't sell them over here for some reason.

EDIT: Just bought it from "ByteWize" (Canadian company). £63, ouch... But better than the guys on eBay UK selling it for £75.

Although if I get stung for tax and it's over £12 I'll be furious.

Last edited:
same here. I bought this in March and I must admit I'm really satisfied with it.
The feature I liked most is that finally I can listen to any live album I want without those annoying little (VERY little) pauses between one track and another that the majority of the mp3 players have..

True, the bad thing is software!!!

I hate it, I wish it was drag and drop!

lads, everything that iphone can do, windows mobile phones/PPCs have been doing for years!

edit: and doing it better...

Back
Top Bottom