Future of Next-Gen? - your opinions?

Velocity5

League 2
26 June 2005
Texas, USA
Real Madrid
This is intended for the owners of both PS3 and XBOX 360 systems. -no fanboy comments

As seen, the graphics on multi-platforms these days are extremely similar.

The questionable factors that anyone should know. Are games performing the same, gameplay wise? Are we seeing a trend where games on both systems actually performing better on one other than the other?

Online play? For those who have experienced both systems, which system is working better for you?

And eventually, you will have to wonder, which next-gen system do you see progressing and doing well enough to produce quality games?

For anyone in the hunt for which system to buy, needs to consider these factors...

I feel they are both equal, if not giving the greater potential to the PS3. The only thing it came down to was PS3 exclusives compared to xbox 360.

People who have actually experienced both systems extensively, what do you think?

Last edited:
A topic I find interesting, excuse the following essay...

For me it's all about gameplay, and next-gen gameplay doesn't neccessarily need a next-gen machine, I think. More next-gen thinking.

Gears Of War was the first game on 360 I really "wowed" at, but not purely because of the fantastic graphics. More because of the fact that I felt you were letting your team down when you died. Any game previous to that and if I died I wasn't too fussed, but when it's 3v3 and one of you is snipered, there's only two of you left and you're at a big disadvantage.

I felt like it was quite close to real-life, in particular paintballing, they'd captured the emotion superbly. So I was shocked to open the case, read the manual and find that the introduction said something along the lines of "we feel next-gen is about gameplay experiences; during the creation of the game we went paintballing a lot, and that is exactly the type of atmosphere and pressure we aimed to put into Gears Of War." I was stunned, because for them to get that atmosphere across to me so accurately was just... Scary.

But as great as it is, you could put that game on a PS2 and it would be just as good. The graphics would be worse obviously, and it would be a shame, but the game would still be just as much fun to play.

After GoW there's been a couple of games I really love; Bioshock, Call Of Duty 4, FIFA 08, Forza 2 and Mass Effect spring to mind. But of all the games I can think of only two would be impossible to put on last-gen hardware (FIFA 08 and Forza 2 because of the massive physics engines - and I mean thank God, because the graphics in Forza 2 are so bad it would have looked like a fucking dog on the original Xbox, the ratio of the console's power being shared between gameplay and graphics is fully evident).

So what do I want to see in next-gen games?

I want to see games that use that power more - for sports games I want to see the power devoted to the physics engine, which is incredible in FIFA 08 with every single thing being accounted for, from the spin of the ball to the pressure that the striker is under. For FPS games I want to see more depth - world war, pick an army and battle for it, with cities or entire countries being taken over by your army. I want people to try and invade our cities, to take them back. Something you could lose yourself in for a few months. For RPGs I want to see more things being taken into account - lines of dialogue not being repeated when you visit the same character again, much more storyline deviation being available, more than one or two possible endings.

As for which console is the best-equipped to do all of that, well power-wise it's not worth seperating them because the difference doesn't matter. I've read a million times that the 360 does some things better and the PS3 does some things better, so technically it's pointless saying one is better than the other. But as for games... There's two games I want that are currently available on PS3. I have a drawer of twenty games that I play and love now, today, on the 360.

The PS3 doesn't have any decent exclusives as far as I'm concerned, decent as in must-haves that I will be sitting here and feel I'm missing out on when they're released. Apart from Metal Gear Solid, which honestly, I think has gone a bit crap. It was great at first but now there's too many ninjas and walking-nuke-shooting robots. I'd much rather play something that's either totally realistic or totally futuristic, rather than combining realism and fantasy (which is what the Japs do best, hence why I'm now very worried about the future of PES looking at the latest release - and the Japs love PS3/hate Xbox 360).

So personally, and everyone will feel differently, I prefer the 360 and I have absolutely no intention of buying a PS3. It would be a waste of time because you buy a console to play games on, and I'd take 20 great games over 2 great games any day of the week.

I don't own both consoles so I wont go into that but one thing that I hate about Next Gen games is that in many games if your not playing on a HDTV then the text in game can be very small and sometimes unreadable.

NBA 2K8 and Warhawk spring to mind.

I hope that the devs do something about it.

Ill give it a go, only own the 360 but read and hear enough about the ps3 to know fairly well whats important for me.

As actual consoles they are fairly equal, the one does something better the then other and visa versa.

Online, even though I dont actually play online its the same story, live is superior but you have to pay for it. For people like me, who dont bother with online much the sony network would be better, just because its free and you dont need a subscription "forcing" you to use it as you would otherwise be wasting your money.

As for gameplay performance, the 360 edges it, just because of the high number of framerate problems on the ps3 versions of the same game.

Overal I would say the 360 is the console to get this generation also with a view to the future. Initially most people would say that the ps3 can get the edge in technical power when the devs get used to it and are able to use it fully, however I dont think we will get to that point this generation. There was a post a while ago from an analysist saying MS would likely be releasing/announcing the xbox720 at the end of next year, beginning of 2009. Now thats a 3/4 year cycle. With a year of development it would be near the 4/5 year console cycle.

This generation the ps3 is last generations xbox. Its a console in limbo, they are still heavily supporting the ps2 as thats what they are making money on and are semi supporting the ps3. All the while the multiplatform games coming out are usually technically better on the 360 and generally cheaper to make for devs. Its leaving the ps3 as an in between option, and an expensive one at that.

And with the potential news from MS to come about the next version it could very well end up being a lost cause for devs to invest in the ps3 to get the full power out of it. At the moment the majority are trying to get by with "cheap" ports that just dont work as well as on the 360. With the games being released this winter and the potential for the gta4 release and its exclusive content the 360 could have a strong enough base to become the new "cheap" last generation console for the masses and have the 720 (or whatever they hell they will call it) as the hardcore games machine. And where will that leave the ps3 and sony? They will obviously need to do something yet they will be stuck with a console not fully supporter with a potential new one on the horizon. If MS release the new console in 4 years after release of the 360, and announce it after 3 years (next year/2009) that would mean the ps3 would be barely into its 2nd or 3rd year. Meaning the potential for the ps3 would maybe never be realised.

The old excuse that PS3 has no games is getting really old now.

360 has more games but a wider variety i dont know. You can just see devs waitig for PS3 to hit 10m units which is really said as the PS3 exclusive match up to ANYTHING 360 had in its irst year in my opinion.

360 is selling great in US okay in Europe and crap i Japan
PS3 okay-ish in US good in Europe and good in Japan

PS3 need a killer app out but to be at the same stage as 360 was as we all know 360 only took off after Gears of War is not a bad feat by Aony considering PS2 is still selling.

360 for is pointless as i hate xbox live and the games out early 08 that i want wil run perfectly on PS3 i.e Burnout & DMC4.

Anyway everyone has there favourite machines but PS3 will be just fine next year so i am more than happy with my PS3.

The questionable factors that anyone should know. Are games performing the same, gameplay wise? Are we seeing a trend where games on both systems actually performing better on one other than the other?

Online play? For those who have experienced both systems, which system is working better for you?

And eventually, you will have to wonder, which next-gen system do you see progressing and doing well enough to produce quality games?

So far multi-platform games have been more or less the same on both consoles, though not sure about sport games. Like CoD4 and Assasin's Creed, recent new games, are more or less the same.

Online play, well XBox Live is a great service, but it is not free.

I have the XBox360, and haven't bought a PS3 yet. I am waiting for a killer game that is exclusive to the PS3.

As for the future, hard to predict really. Multi-platform games will be more or less the same on the two machines. PS3 development is harder than XBox360 *I think* so that might be a stumbling block, but I am sure that will be overcome with time.

So far multi-platform games have been more or less the same on both consoles, though not sure about sport games. Like CoD4 and Assasin's Creed, recent new games, are more or less the same.

Online play, well XBox Live is a great service, but it is not free.

I have the XBox360, and haven't bought a PS3 yet. I am waiting for a killer game that is exclusive to the PS3.

As for the future, hard to predict really. Multi-platform games will be more or less the same on the two machines. PS3 development is harder than XBox360 *I think* so that might be a stumbling block, but I am sure that will be overcome with time.

I personally think alot of devs are looking at Burnout 5 to see if developing on PS3 first is worthwile as the quality of the game is not lost.

360 has a architecture similar to PC so its pretty easy to port over.

Burnout devs has said while its a challenge with PS3 the added work brings better results.

Next year wil be fun.

Speaking of next year, has anybody got a "to get" list from a gamesite? This years big games have all been released as far as im aware so would be interesting to see the exclusives and Multiplatform games for next year.

360:

January 2008
22nd Dark Sector Xbox 360 D3Publisher of Europe
TBC Chessmaster LIVE Xbox 360 Ubisoft
February 2008
1st Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom Xbox 360 Microsoft
8th The Club Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
8th Turok Xbox 360 Touchstone
12th Jumper Xbox 360 Eidos
15th Frontlines: Fuel of War Xbox 360 THQ
TBC Condemned 2: Bloodshot Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
TBC Devil May Cry 4 Xbox 360 Capcom
TBC Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft
TBC Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Xbox 360 Codemasters
Winter 2007/2008
TBC Burnout Paradise Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Canis Canem Edit Xbox 360 Take-Two Interactive
TBC Commando 3 Xbox 360 Capcom
TBC Schizoid Xbox 360 Microsoft
TBC Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Xbox 360 Capcom
March 2008
7th MX vs. ATV Untamed Xbox 360 THQ
TBC Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 Xbox 360 Ubisoft
Q1 2008
TBC Army of Two Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Elements Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC Destroy All Humans! Path of Furon Xbox 360 THQ
TBC Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360 Rockstar Games
TBC Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC SEGA Superstars Tennis Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
TBC Tom Clancy's EndWar Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC Too Human Xbox 360 Microsoft
TBC Universe at War: Earth Assault Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
TBC Viking: Battle for Asgard Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
TBC Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Xbox 360 Activision
TBC Incredible Machine Xbox 360 Microsoft
TBC Left 4 Dead Xbox 360 Valve Software
TBC Pirates vs. Ninjas Dodgeball Xbox 360 Gamecock Media Group
TBC Rock Band Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Supreme Commander Xbox 360 Aspyr Media
April 2008
TBC Talisman Xbox 360 Capcom
May 2008
TBC The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Xbox 360 Disney Interactive
Spring 2008
TBC Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC FIFA Street 3 Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Hail to the Chimp Xbox 360 Gamecock Media Group
TBC Legendary: The Box Xbox 360 Atari
TBC Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Xbox 360 2K Games
TBC Top Spin 3 Xbox 360 2K Games
TBC NBA Ballers: Chosen One Xbox 360 Midway
TBC Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Xbox 360 Activision
June 2008
Q2 2008
TBC Galactic Command - Excalibur Xbox 360 3000AD
TBC Two Worlds: The Temptation Xbox 360 Zuxxez
July 2008
August 2008
Summer 2008
TBC Fracture Xbox 360 Lucasarts
TBC Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy Xbox 360 Sierra Entertainment
September 2008
Q3 2008
October 2008
November 2008
Autumn 2008
TBC Dead Space Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Fallout 3 Xbox 360
TBC Ghostbusters Xbox 360 Vivendi Games
TBC Voltage Xbox 360 Lexicon Entertainment
December 2008
Q4 2008
TBC Postal 3 Xbox 360
TBC Activision's James Bond Xbox 360 Activision
TBC Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures Xbox 360 Eidos
TBC All Points Bulletin Xbox 360 Webzen
TBC Armed Assault 2 Xbox 360
TBC Battlefield: Bad Company Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Beautiful Katamari Xbox 360 Namco Bandai
TBC Blood Bowl Xbox 360
TBC Brütal Legend Xbox 360 Vivendi Games
TBC Castle Crashers Xbox 360 The Behemoth
TBC Castle Wolfenstein Xbox 360 Activision
TBC Cipher Complex Xbox 360
TBC Conflict: Denied Ops Xbox 360 Eidos
TBC Darksiders Xbox 360 THQ
TBC Dead Island Xbox 360
TBC Elveon Xbox 360 10tacle studios AG
TBC Fable 2 Xbox 360 Microsoft
TBC Golden Axe Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
TBC Haze Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC HEI$T Xbox 360 Codemasters
TBC Hellboy Xbox 360 Konami
TBC Highlander Xbox 360 Eidos
TBC Hydrophobia Xbox 360
TBC Indiana Jones 2007 Xbox 360 Lucasarts
TBC Iron Man Xbox 360 Sega Of Europe
TBC LEGO Batman Xbox 360 Traveller's Tales
TBC LEGO Indiana Jones Xbox 360 Lucasarts
TBC Lord of the Rings: The White Council Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Lost Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC Marvel Fighting Game (working title) Xbox 360 Electronic Arts
TBC Midnight Club: Los Angeles Xbox 360 Rockstar Games
TBC Operation Darkness Xbox 360 Atlus USA
TBC Operation Flashpoint 2 Xbox 360 Codemasters
TBC Prototype Xbox 360 Vivendi Games
TBC Race Driver: GRID Xbox 360 Codemasters
TBC Resident Evil 5 Xbox 360 Capcom
TBC Rise of the Argonauts Xbox 360 Codemasters
TBC RocketBowl Xbox 360 D3Publisher of Europe
TBC Rocketmen: Axis of Evil Xbox 360 Capcom
TBC Saboteur Xbox 360
TBC Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Xbox 360 Ascaron
TBC Saints Row 2 Xbox 360 THQ
TBC SBK 07: Superbike World Championship Xbox 360 Black Bean Games
TBC Silent Hill 5 Xbox 360 Konami
TBC Soul Calibur IV Xbox 360
TBC Spectral Force 3 Xbox 360 Atlus USA
TBC Splinter Cell: Conviction Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC Terra: Formations Xbox 360 Star Cave Studios
TBC The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Xbox 360 Sierra Entertainment
TBC The Scourge Project Xbox 360
TBC The Wheelman Xbox 360 Midway
TBC Theseis Xbox 360
TBC TNA iMPACT Xbox 360 Midway
TBC To End All Wars Xbox 360 Ghostlight
TBC Tom Clancy's Air Combat Xbox 360 Ubisoft
TBC Totems Xbox 360 10tacle studios AG
TBC Unreal Tournament 3 Xbox 360 Midway
TBC Warhammer: Battle March Xbox 360 Deep Silver
TBC Warhound Xbox 360
TBC World in Conflict

PS3:
January 2008
22nd Dark Sector PlayStation 3 D3Publisher of Europe
TBC Frontlines: Fuel of War PlayStation 3 THQ
TBC Wipeout HD PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
February 2008
8th The Club PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
8th Turok PlayStation 3 Touchstone
TBC Condemned 2: Bloodshot PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
TBC Devil May Cry 4 PlayStation 3 Capcom
TBC Turning Point: Fall of Liberty PlayStation 3 Codemasters
Winter 2007/2008
TBC Burnout Paradise PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Commando 3 PlayStation 3 Capcom
TBC Rat Race PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment America
TBC Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix PlayStation 3 Capcom
March 2008
7th MX vs. ATV Untamed PlayStation 3 THQ
TBC Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 PlayStation 3 Ubisoft
Q1 2008
TBC Army of Two PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Blacksite: Area 51 PlayStation 3 Midway
TBC Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway PlayStation 3 Ubisoft
TBC Destroy All Humans! Path of Furon PlayStation 3 THQ
TBC Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3 Rockstar Games
TBC Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PlayStation 3 Capcom
TBC Monster Madness Ex PlayStation 3 SouthPeak
TBC SEGA Superstars Tennis PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
TBC Tom Clancy's EndWar PlayStation 3 Ubisoft
TBC Viking: Battle for Asgard PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
TBC Enemy Territory: Quake Wars PlayStation 3 Activision
TBC Haze PlayStation 3 Ubisoft
TBC Rock Band PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Time Crisis 4 PlayStation 3 Namco Bandai
TBC Unreal Tournament 3 PlayStation 3 Midway
April 2008
TBC Talisman PlayStation 3 Capcom
May 2008
TBC The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian PlayStation 3 Disney Interactive
Spring 2008
TBC FIFA Street 3 PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
TBC Hail to the Chimp PlayStation 3 Gamecock Media Group
TBC Legendary: The Box PlayStation 3 Atari
TBC Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PlayStation 3 Konami
TBC PlayStation Home PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
TBC Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution PlayStation 3 2K Games
TBC Top Spin 3 PlayStation 3 2K Games
TBC Yakuza 3 PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
TBC NBA Ballers: Chosen One PlayStation 3 Midway
TBC Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PlayStation 3 Activision
June 2008
Q2 2008
July 2008
August 2008
Summer 2008
TBC Fracture PlayStation 3 Lucasarts
TBC Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy PlayStation 3 Sierra Entertainment
TBC To End All Wars PlayStation 3 Ghostlight
September 2008
Q3 2008
October 2008
November 2008
Autumn 2008
TBC Dead Space PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Fallout 3 PlayStation 3
TBC Ghostbusters PlayStation 3 Vivendi Games
TBC Voltage PlayStation 3 Lexicon Entertainment
December 2008
Q4 2008
TBC Activision's James Bond PlayStation 3 Activision
TBC Aquatopia PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment America
TBC Armed Assault 2 PlayStation 3
TBC Battlefield: Bad Company PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Brütal Legend PlayStation 3 Vivendi Games
TBC Cipher Complex PlayStation 3
TBC Conflict: Denied Ops PlayStation 3 Eidos
TBC Darksiders PlayStation 3 THQ
TBC Eternal Sonata PlayStation 3 Namco Bandai
TBC Fatal Inertia PlayStation 3 Koei
TBC Final Fantasy Versus XIII PlayStation 3 Square Enix
TBC Final Fantasy XIII PlayStation 3 Square Enix
TBC Golden Axe PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
TBC HEI$T PlayStation 3 Codemasters
TBC Hellboy PlayStation 3 Konami
TBC Highlander PlayStation 3 Eidos
TBC Hydrophobia PlayStation 3
TBC Indiana Jones 2007 PlayStation 3 Lucasarts
TBC Infamous PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
TBC Iron Man PlayStation 3 Sega Of Europe
TBC Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
TBC LEGO Batman PlayStation 3 Traveller's Tales
TBC LEGO Indiana Jones PlayStation 3 Lucasarts
TBC Lord of the Rings: The White Council PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Lost PlayStation 3 Ubisoft
TBC Marvel Fighting Game (working title) PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Mercenaries 2: World in Flames PlayStation 3 Electronic Arts
TBC Metro 2033: The Last Refuge PlayStation 3
TBC Midnight Club: Los Angeles PlayStation 3 Rockstar Games
TBC MotorStorm 2 PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
TBC Operation Flashpoint 2 PlayStation 3 Codemasters
TBC Operation: Creature Feature PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment America
TBC Prototype PlayStation 3 Vivendi Games
TBC Race Driver: GRID PlayStation 3 Codemasters
TBC Resident Evil 5 PlayStation 3 Capcom
TBC Rise of the Argonauts PlayStation 3 Codemasters
TBC Rocketmen: Axis of Evil PlayStation 3 Capcom
TBC Saboteur PlayStation 3
TBC Saints Row 2 PlayStation 3 THQ
TBC Silent Hill 5 PlayStation 3 Konami
TBC Soul Calibur IV PlayStation 3
TBC Terra: Formations PlayStation 3 Star Cave Studios
TBC The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena PlayStation 3 Sierra Entertainment
TBC The Getaway PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment
TBC The Scourge Project PlayStation 3
TBC Theseis PlayStation 3
TBC TNA iMPACT PlayStation 3 Midway
TBC Tom Clancy's Air Combat PlayStation 3 Ubisoft
TBC Vampire Rain

Bolded which I see as, possibly, important titles. From what I can tell its the ps3 with the bigger exclusives.

Last edited:
2008 is MASSIVE for Sony. With the exception of Final Fantasy all there big hitters are out.

360 has a great line up but Sony have potentially a PS3 defining one.

Which games? (not attacking you, I don't research much into future games, so I want to see if it is worth saving up to get one).

Apart from MGS4 and FF :)
Getaway looks cool!

Eight days should be out next year also, that has been in hiding for 2 years.

Alan Wake looks superb as well on XBox360!

That is a game im looking forward to, its not even in the list.

From what I can see the exclusives are:

MS:
Left 4 Dead
Fable 2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Alan Wake?

Sony:
Wipeout HD
Gran Turismo 5
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Final Fantasy XIII (Is this a proper NG new version or a remake?)
Killzone 2
The Getaway

Good list for Sony, although personally I would probably only have a look at Killzone2. The rest just dont interest me much. And for MS its only Alan Wake as an exclusive. Its very much all Multiplatform for me, and at the moment the 360 is the better console for those games. Will be an interesting year.

I don't own both consoles so I wont go into that but one thing that I hate about Next Gen games is that in many games if your not playing on a HDTV then the text in game can be very small and sometimes unreadable.

NBA 2K8 and Warhawk spring to mind.

I hope that the devs do something about it.

I Had that problem. Get one of these digital av cables for a tenner and this will really improve the quality of your picture:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/741482/Joytech-XBox-360-Digital-AV-RGB-SCART-Cable/Product.html

I noticed something, now that I own a PS3 and having played the XBOX 360. Is it the media that holds back the games right now? This has nothing to do with which system is better, but, I think the more disk space that is available, the more potential a game has.

This is why I wish PS3 could keep some of these exclusive and really shoot for the stars on them! I mean, this is the PS3's chance to make some phenomenally deep games with all the code, physics and animations they could potentially put on their games! Apparently Killzone 2 will be an example of this since I watched a producers video stating one level taking up over 2GBs of space! Of course, we will see once the actual game comes out how that all plays, but, it would be nice to see XBOX 360 jump on the Blu-Ray bandwagon since that means even multi-platform games would get the same treatment!

Hmm...

I owned all consoles (PS3, 360 and Wii) but only really played the 360 properly as the games on the other machines did not do it at all for me. My Wii is gathering dust (Mario fishing, Mario Skating, Mario Baking etc, it's all getting tedious now) and I sold the PS3 a few months back. :)

I have all three.

You could probably fry an egg off my Xbox 360 after most weekends, what with COD4, Mass Effect, PES 08, GoW (Still), Halo 3 and a host of Live arcade oldies dominating my gaming time.

My Wii is a nice living room ornament next to the TV, occasionally dusted off for Wii Sports for when the GF comes over.

My PS3 resembles a long lost, ancient copy of the bible, such is the thickness of the dust and cobwebs encasing it. It sits, lonely, cold and unloved since the PES '08 debacle and shall probably stay there until Metal Gear 4. If that's a disappointment, then someone's gonna get an eBay bargain.

My tuppence worth on this is that while a lot of NG games look beautiful, the depth seems to have been missed out....Assasins Creed, most of the shooters inc Halo 3, PES08 (alright maybe that one doesn't look beautiful)

They all lack decent AI - graphics were good on the PS2, but there wasn't the power to run top grade AI routines. I was hoping that the next gen would bring us really human intelligence - esp on the FPS's. No dumbass grunts running in a line - even evident on COD4, or not reacting to a firefight 100 yards away, or shooting at you through buildings and shit.

I'm not despondant tho, how something looks is how best to differentiate it from the old gen, so the best way to get sales from day 1. Once the old gen machines fade away, we'll get more investment in NG games and the developers will figure out how to optimise the new machines - look at the first year of PS2 games compared to GT or MGS.

So, in summary, I hope we end up with games where it's hard to tell if you're playing a human or a routine. And as a non online gamer ( still too tight to buy a wireless adapter for my 360 - but my son is getting a PS3 for Xmas, so watch this space) why can't we have bots in games....like Timesplitters (I forget which one), where you can play the multiplayer games with bots and have fun, or hone your skills for real online play?

I owned all consoles (PS3, 360 and Wii) but only really played the 360 properly as the games on the other machines did not do it at all for me. My Wii is gathering dust (Mario fishing, Mario Skating, Mario Baking etc, it's all getting tedious now) and I sold the PS3 a few months back. :)
My latest PS3 is gathering dust now. Dont really want to sell it seeing as it works well with our High Def Sony Camcorder....

To be honest this generation thus far has disappointed me... far too many lazy ports and not enough leaps and bounds achieved.

People are relying on PS3 games that have a past history of being shit.

Killzone was terrible.

All the Getaways have looked good but been terrible.

Gran turismo have been boring since 2 and with online play being so important now, the japanese have a history of screwing up online gameplay and just dont seem to understand this element yet.

People are relying on PS3 games that have a past history of being shit.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. It came down to the RROD and not wanting to waste time with that issue, not seeing any exclusive games from XBOX that really captured me, the fact that I wouldn't be online as often, so, why pay for it. For me personally, the PS3 was the better buy, especially after the price drop here in the states for the 40GB.

It always comes down to preference. Like I mentioned, there are some big titles coming up for the PS3 next year, so, we'll see how things turn out with the quality of their games in due time.

I too am waiting for that huge leap in AI as well though. It's so tough to put realism into a game though, there are SO many possibilities, I can't even imagine what programmers and developers have to go through to make, or attempt to create a quality game!?

I have all 3 and the PS3 gets the most play time - if im not on fifa 08 im on smackdown 2008 caw creating and if neither of those games are in and being played on then you'll find me on warhawk.

The Wii is gathering dust until christmas comes and i hand the misses mario galaxy or until a group of us get together and everyone wants a go of Wii Sports.

The 360 had games that i liked but nothing at all to keep me from getting rid of the faulty system for a PS3 that wouldnt break down on me every day. Everyone will mention how it has a load of great games avail... but ive played them all now and i cant see why anyone new to next gen would want to pick up 'Fifa road to the world cup' over 'fifa 2008' no matter how cheap.

Whats the future of next gen gaming?

For me its things like this...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/14/video-of-new-research-conducted-with-playstation-eye/

Back
Top Bottom