1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Future of Next-Gen? - your opinions?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Velocity5, 1 December 2007.

1. Velocity5

Velocity5 League 2

26 June 2005
    Texas, USA
    Real Madrid
    This is intended for the owners of both PS3 and XBOX 360 systems. -no fanboy comments

As seen, the graphics on multi-platforms these days are extremely similar.

The questionable factors that anyone should know. Are games performing the same, gameplay wise? Are we seeing a trend where games on both systems actually performing better on one other than the other?

Online play? For those who have experienced both systems, which system is working better for you?

And eventually, you will have to wonder, which next-gen system do you see progressing and doing well enough to produce quality games?

For anyone in the hunt for which system to buy, needs to consider these factors...

I feel they are both equal, if not giving the greater potential to the PS3. The only thing it came down to was PS3 exclusives compared to xbox 360.

People who have actually experienced both systems extensively, what do you think?

Last edited: 1 December 2007
  2. Nick Cave

Nick Cave Wrexham fan for my sins...

10 July 2004
    Non football league waste land...
    Wrexham AFC
    No Fan-boy Comments....Red Rag and Bull comes to mind....

3. Velocity5

Velocity5 League 2

26 June 2005
    Texas, USA
    Real Madrid
    Seriously?

4. Nick Cave

Nick Cave Wrexham fan for my sins...

10 July 2004
    Non football league waste land...
    Wrexham AFC
    Just wait and see... :lmao: They can't help themselves, I'm sure some are on commission.. ;)

5. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    A topic I find interesting, excuse the following essay...

For me it's all about gameplay, and next-gen gameplay doesn't neccessarily need a next-gen machine, I think. More next-gen thinking.

Gears Of War was the first game on 360 I really "wowed" at, but not purely because of the fantastic graphics. More because of the fact that I felt you were letting your team down when you died. Any game previous to that and if I died I wasn't too fussed, but when it's 3v3 and one of you is snipered, there's only two of you left and you're at a big disadvantage.

I felt like it was quite close to real-life, in particular paintballing, they'd captured the emotion superbly. So I was shocked to open the case, read the manual and find that the introduction said something along the lines of "we feel next-gen is about gameplay experiences; during the creation of the game we went paintballing a lot, and that is exactly the type of atmosphere and pressure we aimed to put into Gears Of War." I was stunned, because for them to get that atmosphere across to me so accurately was just... Scary.

But as great as it is, you could put that game on a PS2 and it would be just as good. The graphics would be worse obviously, and it would be a shame, but the game would still be just as much fun to play.

After GoW there's been a couple of games I really love; Bioshock, Call Of Duty 4, FIFA 08, Forza 2 and Mass Effect spring to mind. But of all the games I can think of only two would be impossible to put on last-gen hardware (FIFA 08 and Forza 2 because of the massive physics engines - and I mean thank God, because the graphics in Forza 2 are so bad it would have looked like a fucking dog on the original Xbox, the ratio of the console's power being shared between gameplay and graphics is fully evident).

So what do I want to see in next-gen games?

I want to see games that use that power more - for sports games I want to see the power devoted to the physics engine, which is incredible in FIFA 08 with every single thing being accounted for, from the spin of the ball to the pressure that the striker is under. For FPS games I want to see more depth - world war, pick an army and battle for it, with cities or entire countries being taken over by your army. I want people to try and invade our cities, to take them back. Something you could lose yourself in for a few months. For RPGs I want to see more things being taken into account - lines of dialogue not being repeated when you visit the same character again, much more storyline deviation being available, more than one or two possible endings.

As for which console is the best-equipped to do all of that, well power-wise it's not worth seperating them because the difference doesn't matter. I've read a million times that the 360 does some things better and the PS3 does some things better, so technically it's pointless saying one is better than the other. But as for games... There's two games I want that are currently available on PS3. I have a drawer of twenty games that I play and love now, today, on the 360.

The PS3 doesn't have any decent exclusives as far as I'm concerned, decent as in must-haves that I will be sitting here and feel I'm missing out on when they're released. Apart from Metal Gear Solid, which honestly, I think has gone a bit crap. It was great at first but now there's too many ninjas and walking-nuke-shooting robots. I'd much rather play something that's either totally realistic or totally futuristic, rather than combining realism and fantasy (which is what the Japs do best, hence why I'm now very worried about the future of PES looking at the latest release - and the Japs love PS3/hate Xbox 360).

So personally, and everyone will feel differently, I prefer the 360 and I have absolutely no intention of buying a PS3. It would be a waste of time because you buy a console to play games on, and I'd take 20 great games over 2 great games any day of the week.

6. andish2001

andish2001 Championship

1 May 2005
    ahh jack and his essays i will always miss them when i leave this place :lol:

7. embraceuk1

embraceuk1 Original Member Since 2001

30 December 2001
    Indiana USA (Scottish)
    Nottingham Forest
    Jack summed it up if you want to play games its an Xbox 360

8. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Teaching the PHX Suns the 2 min drill...
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    Future of Next-Gen? - your opinions?

I don't own both consoles so I wont go into that but one thing that I hate about Next Gen games is that in many games if your not playing on a HDTV then the text in game can be very small and sometimes unreadable.

NBA 2K8 and Warhawk spring to mind.

I hope that the devs do something about it.

9. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    Ill give it a go, only own the 360 but read and hear enough about the ps3 to know fairly well whats important for me.

As actual consoles they are fairly equal, the one does something better the then other and visa versa.

Online, even though I dont actually play online its the same story, live is superior but you have to pay for it. For people like me, who dont bother with online much the sony network would be better, just because its free and you dont need a subscription "forcing" you to use it as you would otherwise be wasting your money.

As for gameplay performance, the 360 edges it, just because of the high number of framerate problems on the ps3 versions of the same game.

Overal I would say the 360 is the console to get this generation also with a view to the future. Initially most people would say that the ps3 can get the edge in technical power when the devs get used to it and are able to use it fully, however I dont think we will get to that point this generation. There was a post a while ago from an analysist saying MS would likely be releasing/announcing the xbox720 at the end of next year, beginning of 2009. Now thats a 3/4 year cycle. With a year of development it would be near the 4/5 year console cycle.

This generation the ps3 is last generations xbox. Its a console in limbo, they are still heavily supporting the ps2 as thats what they are making money on and are semi supporting the ps3. All the while the multiplatform games coming out are usually technically better on the 360 and generally cheaper to make for devs. Its leaving the ps3 as an in between option, and an expensive one at that.

And with the potential news from MS to come about the next version it could very well end up being a lost cause for devs to invest in the ps3 to get the full power out of it. At the moment the majority are trying to get by with "cheap" ports that just dont work as well as on the 360. With the games being released this winter and the potential for the gta4 release and its exclusive content the 360 could have a strong enough base to become the new "cheap" last generation console for the masses and have the 720 (or whatever they hell they will call it) as the hardcore games machine. And where will that leave the ps3 and sony? They will obviously need to do something yet they will be stuck with a console not fully supporter with a potential new one on the horizon. If MS release the new console in 4 years after release of the 360, and announce it after 3 years (next year/2009) that would mean the ps3 would be barely into its 2nd or 3rd year. Meaning the potential for the ps3 would maybe never be realised.

10. Dead Man

Dead Man Guest

The old excuse that PS3 has no games is getting really old now.

360 has more games but a wider variety i dont know. You can just see devs waitig for PS3 to hit 10m units which is really said as the PS3 exclusive match up to ANYTHING 360 had in its irst year in my opinion.

360 is selling great in US okay in Europe and crap i Japan
    PS3 okay-ish in US good in Europe and good in Japan

PS3 need a killer app out but to be at the same stage as 360 was as we all know 360 only took off after Gears of War is not a bad feat by Aony considering PS2 is still selling.

360 for is pointless as i hate xbox live and the games out early 08 that i want wil run perfectly on PS3 i.e Burnout & DMC4.

Anyway everyone has there favourite machines but PS3 will be just fine next year so i am more than happy with my PS3.

11. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    So far multi-platform games have been more or less the same on both consoles, though not sure about sport games. Like CoD4 and Assasin's Creed, recent new games, are more or less the same.

Online play, well XBox Live is a great service, but it is not free.

I have the XBox360, and haven't bought a PS3 yet. I am waiting for a killer game that is exclusive to the PS3.

As for the future, hard to predict really. Multi-platform games will be more or less the same on the two machines. PS3 development is harder than XBox360 *I think* so that might be a stumbling block, but I am sure that will be overcome with time.

12. Dead Man

Dead Man Guest

I personally think alot of devs are looking at Burnout 5 to see if developing on PS3 first is worthwile as the quality of the game is not lost.

360 has a architecture similar to PC so its pretty easy to port over.

Burnout devs has said while its a challenge with PS3 the added work brings better results.

Next year wil be fun.

13. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    Speaking of next year, has anybody got a "to get" list from a gamesite? This years big games have all been released as far as im aware so would be interesting to see the exclusives and Multiplatform games for next year.

360:

PS3:
    Bolded which I see as, possibly, important titles. From what I can tell its the ps3 with the bigger exclusives.

Last edited: 2 December 2007
  14. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    Alan Wake looks superb as well on XBox360!

15. Dead Man

Dead Man Guest

2008 is MASSIVE for Sony. With the exception of Final Fantasy all there big hitters are out.

360 has a great line up but Sony have potentially a PS3 defining one.

16. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    Which games? (not attacking you, I don't research much into future games, so I want to see if it is worth saving up to get one).

Apart from MGS4 and FF :)
    Getaway looks cool!

17. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Teaching the PHX Suns the 2 min drill...
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    Eight days should be out next year also, that has been in hiding for 2 years.

18. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    That is a game im looking forward to, its not even in the list.

From what I can see the exclusives are:

MS:
    Left 4 Dead
    Fable 2
    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Alan Wake?

Sony:
    Wipeout HD
    Gran Turismo 5
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Final Fantasy XIII (Is this a proper NG new version or a remake?)
    Killzone 2
    The Getaway

Good list for Sony, although personally I would probably only have a look at Killzone2. The rest just dont interest me much. And for MS its only Alan Wake as an exclusive. Its very much all Multiplatform for me, and at the moment the 360 is the better console for those games. Will be an interesting year.

19. yuyazan

yuyazan An ugly Jap

4 October 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    All clubs make me fun
    Nintendo should brought us anything new...

20. DJ Doc45

DJ Doc45 Banned

Gran Turismo 5? that will be a crock of shit as per usual :) but each to their own I suppose!

21. jondux

jondux Conference

28 August 2006
    I Had that problem. Get one of these digital av cables for a tenner and this will really improve the quality of your picture:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/741482/Joytech-XBox-360-Digital-AV-RGB-SCART-Cable/Product.html

22. Velocity5

Velocity5 League 2

26 June 2005
    Texas, USA
    Real Madrid
    I noticed something, now that I own a PS3 and having played the XBOX 360. Is it the media that holds back the games right now? This has nothing to do with which system is better, but, I think the more disk space that is available, the more potential a game has.

This is why I wish PS3 could keep some of these exclusive and really shoot for the stars on them! I mean, this is the PS3's chance to make some phenomenally deep games with all the code, physics and animations they could potentially put on their games! Apparently Killzone 2 will be an example of this since I watched a producers video stating one level taking up over 2GBs of space! Of course, we will see once the actual game comes out how that all plays, but, it would be nice to see XBOX 360 jump on the Blu-Ray bandwagon since that means even multi-platform games would get the same treatment!

Hmm...

23. Plan M

Plan M Banned

27 September 2007
    Manchester United
    I owned all consoles (PS3, 360 and Wii) but only really played the 360 properly as the games on the other machines did not do it at all for me. My Wii is gathering dust (Mario fishing, Mario Skating, Mario Baking etc, it's all getting tedious now) and I sold the PS3 a few months back. :)

24. Joystick

Joystick Deep like Titanic

10 August 2004
    London
    The Arse
    I have all three.

You could probably fry an egg off my Xbox 360 after most weekends, what with COD4, Mass Effect, PES 08, GoW (Still), Halo 3 and a host of Live arcade oldies dominating my gaming time.

My Wii is a nice living room ornament next to the TV, occasionally dusted off for Wii Sports for when the GF comes over.

My PS3 resembles a long lost, ancient copy of the bible, such is the thickness of the dust and cobwebs encasing it. It sits, lonely, cold and unloved since the PES '08 debacle and shall probably stay there until Metal Gear 4. If that's a disappointment, then someone's gonna get an eBay bargain.

25. freddyboy

freddyboy Inside Bristol Mary

18 April 2002
    Peterborough
    My tuppence worth on this is that while a lot of NG games look beautiful, the depth seems to have been missed out....Assasins Creed, most of the shooters inc Halo 3, PES08 (alright maybe that one doesn't look beautiful)

They all lack decent AI - graphics were good on the PS2, but there wasn't the power to run top grade AI routines. I was hoping that the next gen would bring us really human intelligence - esp on the FPS's. No dumbass grunts running in a line - even evident on COD4, or not reacting to a firefight 100 yards away, or shooting at you through buildings and shit.

I'm not despondant tho, how something looks is how best to differentiate it from the old gen, so the best way to get sales from day 1. Once the old gen machines fade away, we'll get more investment in NG games and the developers will figure out how to optimise the new machines - look at the first year of PS2 games compared to GT or MGS.

So, in summary, I hope we end up with games where it's hard to tell if you're playing a human or a routine. And as a non online gamer ( still too tight to buy a wireless adapter for my 360 - but my son is getting a PS3 for Xmas, so watch this space) why can't we have bots in games....like Timesplitters (I forget which one), where you can play the multiplayer games with bots and have fun, or hone your skills for real online play?

26. DJ Doc45

DJ Doc45 Banned

My latest PS3 is gathering dust now. Dont really want to sell it seeing as it works well with our High Def Sony Camcorder....

To be honest this generation thus far has disappointed me... far too many lazy ports and not enough leaps and bounds achieved.

27. embraceuk1

embraceuk1 Original Member Since 2001

30 December 2001
    Indiana USA (Scottish)
    Nottingham Forest
    People are relying on PS3 games that have a past history of being shit.

Killzone was terrible.

All the Getaways have looked good but been terrible.

Gran turismo have been boring since 2 and with online play being so important now, the japanese have a history of screwing up online gameplay and just dont seem to understand this element yet.

28. Plan M

Plan M Banned

27 September 2007
    Manchester United
    I loved the first Getaway! I used to play it all the time!

29. Velocity5

Velocity5 League 2

26 June 2005
    Texas, USA
    Real Madrid
    Nah, I wouldn't say that. It came down to the RROD and not wanting to waste time with that issue, not seeing any exclusive games from XBOX that really captured me, the fact that I wouldn't be online as often, so, why pay for it. For me personally, the PS3 was the better buy, especially after the price drop here in the states for the 40GB.

It always comes down to preference. Like I mentioned, there are some big titles coming up for the PS3 next year, so, we'll see how things turn out with the quality of their games in due time.

I too am waiting for that huge leap in AI as well though. It's so tough to put realism into a game though, there are SO many possibilities, I can't even imagine what programmers and developers have to go through to make, or attempt to create a quality game!?

30. Radiation

Radiation Golden Boot Winner

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    I have all 3 and the PS3 gets the most play time - if im not on fifa 08 im on smackdown 2008 caw creating and if neither of those games are in and being played on then you'll find me on warhawk.

The Wii is gathering dust until christmas comes and i hand the misses mario galaxy or until a group of us get together and everyone wants a go of Wii Sports.

The 360 had games that i liked but nothing at all to keep me from getting rid of the faulty system for a PS3 that wouldnt break down on me every day. Everyone will mention how it has a load of great games avail... but ive played them all now and i cant see why anyone new to next gen would want to pick up 'Fifa road to the world cup' over 'fifa 2008' no matter how cheap.

Whats the future of next gen gaming?

For me its things like this...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/14/video-of-new-research-conducted-with-playstation-eye/