Free Kick Technique in WE8LE

i will try this thanks for information because i usually get goal from freekick just 1/10 that so bad

OBBB said:
As far as I'm concerned, R2 is used to curl the ball over the wall and R1 is used to give a more linear trajectory to the ball, which stays up longer, allowing for longer range shot.
My quick reference list to free kick:

16-20m : press down on the D-Pad + :square: up to halfway on the power bar (the better the striker's FK accuracy skills, the stronger you can shoot but never more than halway!). Straight after the shot, press left or right on the D-Pad to curl sideways.
Note that curling is minimal due to the short distance (not much more than a ball's width sideways)

: Hold :r2: + :square: up to halway on the power bar. Straight after the shot, press down + left or right on the D-Pad (depending on the direction of the curl you want to put on the ball).
The :r2: shot will curl over the wall, whilst holding down after the shot will cause the ball to dip more quickly. Note that side curling is weaker when pressing down + left or right

25-30: Hold :r1: + :square: a bit more than 1/2 of the power bar.

30+m : :r1: plus hold up the D-Pad for added power. Don't press down after the shot as you want the ball to fly for as long as possible. A left or right inside curl is a plus though quite hard to gauge because of the long distance.

thanks for that info, defo will improve my free kick skills on 20-25m since i was using r1 for that now i learned r2 is better way , because i was wonderin why was the ball going too high and fast now i will use r2 to dip it in

nedostizni said:
yes.The R1 also effects on a better lowing down (after the ball pass the wall, it is falling faster).

exactly! This thinghaven`t been from the WE and ISS on the PSOne. I think that is the one of the bad things that were back. There is a very small chance to score a goal (to be honest i haven`t seen any of those) when your shooting the ball over the heads of the wall. The point is that you have to aim it between the heads. But now there is a other problem - you just don`t know where will the ball go after shot (in other way: the ball hits the heads, even if you didn`t set it up so). I realise that on this effects most of the things, like curling, the current "arrow" (mood) of the player... But i think that it went to far. After all this is supose to be a game, not reality. And yes, the game is tending to become a reality, but i think that in this way the things are getting just worst.

yes, the "mood" arrow affects the player's accuracy, power,bla bla bla, just like in the rest of the game, after all, it's supposed to get as close to reality as possible without taking the fun from being a video-game, the curling stat obviously affects how much curling you can put to the ball, and another thing i think nobody noticed, it's the kicking animation, for instance, beckham's animation is different from the others to look real, but in real life why does he kick like that?i may be wrong but there's all a technique inside that, IMO, he kicks that way to put more curling into the ball,and why Carlos kick like that?for more power, so i really believe the animations affect the way you free kick with certain character, i've been testing this since we7 international and my test results make me think i'm right.

of course there are 6 different Freekick animations and way of taking it I believe.

Most are set to A but we even have F if i'm not mistaken.

and Carlos, Adriano type of freekick is C I believe and it sure does affect the way you should take that freekick and how much and what to hold while doing it. and yes Beckham does stand like that for more curl ;) and if you want power you'd do what Roberto Carlos does and run up straight to the ball before giving it a big hit lol you're right but it's no rocket science ;)

What i do most is=

If the distance is short: Down+Left/right (depends on target) Power just under the half

If distance is long: up+left/right power just over half

Mozz said:
I hate free kicks.
Everyone in my play group has a problem that noone else seems to on Pro Evo 4, WE8 and WE8LE.
If the free kick is being taken by a left footer then the ball will just loop straight up in air with hardly any power and just drop really short of the goal.
I tried using left footers in free training and it was fine, only happens in ganes. Agh!!!!!

Yeah i have had this problem quite regularly aswell, its a right pain in the ass. Mijhilovic (probably not spelled correctly) has great free kick stats but whenever i hit 1 with him he just chips it over the wall. anyone know why this is?

stuartdunlop said:
Yeah i have had this problem quite regularly aswell, its a right pain in the ass. Mijhilovic (probably not spelled correctly) has great free kick stats but whenever i hit 1 with him he just chips it over the wall. anyone know why this is?
What I do is, when it's a close range shot, R2 and circle over the wall, but just tap it, that'll always work, when it's a little farther out, I do R2 down and a little bit less than half with square, and as you get away from the goal, you start using R1, I hope this helps

OBBB said:
As far as I'm concerned, R2 is used to curl the ball over the wall and R1 is used to give a more linear trajectory to the ball, which stays up longer, allowing for longer range shot.

16-20m : press down on the D-Pad + :square: up to halfway on the power bar (the better the striker's FK accuracy skills, the stronger you can shoot but never more than halway!). Straight after the shot, press left or right on the D-Pad to curl sideways.
Note that curling is minimal due to the short distance (not much more than a ball's width sideways)

20-25m: Hold :r2: + :square: up to halway on the power bar. Straight after the shot, press down + left or right on the D-Pad (depending on the direction of the curl you want to put on the ball).
The :r2: shot will curl over the wall, whilst holding down after the shot will cause the ball to dip more quickly. Note that side curling is weaker when pressing down + left or right

30+m : :r1: plus hold up the D-Pad for added power. Don't press down after the shot as you want the ball to fly for as long as possible. A left or right inside curl is a plus though quite hard to gauge because of the long distance.
ya arkadaslar biri bunlari türkçe yazabilirmi çünkü ben hiçbir sey anlamadim :(

I'm glad its hard to score , otherwise my mates would play for them... the diving scoundrels!

rivaldo and beckham are defenitely the best on free kicks!we8le rulezz!!!!cant wait for we9

olympiacos5 said:
rivaldo and beckham are defenitely the best on free kicks!we8le rulezz!!!!cant wait for we9
I gotta disagree on that, for me, ronaldinho and recoba are the best, i probably score 5 out of 10 with recoba, and 7 out of 10 with ronaldinho, i practice a lot and always make them

When taking Free Kick less than 25m. U can use good accuracy kicker or good curling.
For Good accuracy kicker, aim slightly inside the post, Hold R2, press shoot, release less than half the bar, hold down after shot was take to dip.
For Good Curling kicker, aim outside the post, hold R2, shoot(less than half bar) hold down+left or right depend on which kicker to curl the ball in.

For Free Kick from 25m-35m, Best to use those kicker that can curl ball and good shooting power. Aim at the keeper, Hold R1 and shoot with power(ard 60%-75% of the bar), hold up + left or right depend on kicker prefer foot. B4 the ball reach the keeper, change the direction pad to directly opposite to where u r holding or just change from left to right or the other way to do a S shot.

For 35m and above or near the sidelines, try to Cross to find clear header, use R1 + up direction + left or right for near Box Free Kick.
For 35m & above, Use R2 button with direction.
Press Cross instead of Shoot for these Free Kicks.

Corners Kicks is abt the same, R1 for nearpost, R2 for Farpost

BIG problem with WE8LE free kicks is the keepers... This version actually has more accurate free kicks than in previous versions and hits the wall less often, which is good.. HOWEVER, to compensate for that, Konami bumped up goalie's reaction to free kicks WAY too much. Even if your free kick hits the target over the wall, the keeper will STILL save it most of the time. Power seems more important in this version than in any of the previous ones I feel... since goalies have faster reaction time to free kick shots. Try England and take free kicks with Beckham... James saves most of the shots unless they are PERFECT shots. either that or... they just hit the post.

But curiously enough, they don't react well to the circle button "shot". I hate using those though, because unless you have your kicker on free kick motion of beckham, they just sort of "chip" the ball and it doesn't look like a real free kick. Nonetheless, 23m and down, shooting with circle is the better option, but you'll hit the wall or defenders lot more often.

Free kick in WE8 is really hard (just indirect FK is easy), but in WE8LE FK is as easy as WE7(i). I scored a lot now with both direct and indirect style :D

My Technique -

THis is what I do for WE8, I don't have LE yet...should I get it...the only reason I want it, is to play online?

OBBB said:

20-25m: Hold :r2: + :square: up to halway on the power bar. Straight after the shot, press down + left or right on the D-Pad (depending on the direction of the curl you want to put on the ball).

I pretty much do this same thing, except that I don't press down. I want to make sure I get some curl on my kicks so I concentrate more on pressing left or right as the player is running up. If I am shooting from a good distance then I will press up and hold R1....this definitely gives you more power.

The power gauge really depends on the player...there is no perfect answer...typically from the edge of the box...you want half power (if trying to go over the wall - if you hit the wall its o.k. just keep trying untill you make it over...don't overpower all the time and give them goal kicks) If possible try to curl the kick over one of the shorter defenders....when playing REAL I try to aim at Roberto Carlos

My usual technique is to bend over the wall using R2 to the corner of the goal opposite the keeper. If you actually have a clear shot at the goal on either side of the wall (regardless of where the goalie is)...try taking that and hold R1 (plus up for more power) and try to keep the power under half (you'll still blast it with a powerfull kicker). Sometimes this freezes the keeper and you can blast it into one of the corners....

HAVE FUN!!!! Try different things...R3 is cool (tapping the ball forward after pressing select to bring in a second kicker) I have only scored a couple of times this way, but I haven't tried that many. Holding L1 is a favorite of mine when using 2 free kickers. When I'm on the right of goal, I like to have a left-footed kicker on the ball and hold L1, and have kicker him curl it to the right post over the wall holding R2. Every once in a while I try to roll one on the ground with down and circle...either under a jumping player or to one side of the goal as I do in my R1 technique. If I'm quite a bit out....I usually lob or pass it on the ground to a well positioned player using circle and down...Have fun..hope this helps...I'm still learning too!!! If anyone has some theories let me know....

Oh....If you really want bend us the right analog stick....but this is really an inaccurate method and you have to line up you kick the extreme opposite direction of which you want to bend. I do use this method on corner kicks once in a while....I have bent a few in for goals or own goals against my opponents. I your player has a lot of curve use R1 plus both analogs...If he doesn't have much curve, us R2 plus both analogs...

Peace..

JC
Austin, TX USA

Please let me know if this helped anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iriedog yeah i'm sure your long post did help some people. I appreciate it and that's pretty much what I do. Currently there are 4-5 choices you have on what to do when you get a FK and it's up to you and how intelligent you are to choose which you're gonna choose.

Like you said depending on who I have on my team and where the FK is located I try a variety of different things.

Sometimes even though I have a FK taker with 75 FK accuracy and 72 curling I still choose to bend it over the wall and into the other corner of the net which the GK isn't standing and it works and I score a beautiful Beckham type of FK with a player that most people usually wouldn't try the FK like that with ;)

At other times depending on how far it is, what angle it is and how much shot power and FK accuracy my player has I try different things.

For example once I had 2 relatively good FK takers in my sid both with 80 and 81 FK and curling yet I chose to take the actual shot with a DMF of mine who had 50 FK accuracy 71 shot accuracy and 87 shot POWER!!
What I did was press select to choose my normal FK taker and DMF and when everyone thinks he's gonna bend it like usual.. I press R3 to roll the ball and my DMF hits a beautiful shot relatively LOW but a HARD shot and it goes in beautifully. :)

So I like how right now we can use our imagination and have much more options than we used to. Now Konami need to do what they did with FK in WE8 with Penalties so it's not as dull as it is right now. I'm hoping PKs will somehow be different than how they are now in WE9 and we'll finally get to do a chip or somehow add another elemnt to it cuz right now it's like OLD FK quite dull but now FK are amazing you can do so much different stuff. Don't forget you can even press TRIANGLE and set a through ball around the wall to a striker who can turn and have a quick shot on goal.

Take care and i'm gonna go give that DOWN And CIRCLE a try sometimes as I always wanted to shoot LOW and HARD so if wall jumps I can have nice intelligent goal but powerbar if you give enough power also makes ball go higher and if you keep powerbar low... the shot will be rather slow as well and keeper will save.

I think one solution is to take FK or in general shots with players with really high SHOT POWER though as I noticed I can score nice hard low drives with Nedved because even if you hold powerbar a bit.. his shot is still strong enough to have possibility of going in and keeper not saving as well as of course being a low shot which I love.

Take care

Forgot to say if you press X when the power bar is filling up it gives it this nice LOOP that makes the probabilties of the ball going OVER the wall much more.

I heard about it a few months ago and first harassed the guy lol.. sayin how could this be/? It's not in manual and nobody even knows abuot it. We know down or R2 makes it slower/more loopy and R1 and UP the opposite but why would X be good. And he's like yo jus try it. After that my FK that were relatively close to box which I used to fill up till HALFWAY became much more successful because now barely any would hit the tip of the wall and more frequently I score.

Here's an example and my first time ever sharing a PES/WE video file :)

It's nothing special but just a simple FK with somebody who neither has good FK accuracy nor curling.

http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~sivann/pub/Uploaded/PerezFk1.wmv

Last edited:
PLF said:
Forgot to say if you press X when the power bar is filling up it gives it this nice LOOP that makes the probabilties of the ball going OVER the wall much more.

I heard about it a few months ago and first harassed the guy lol.. sayin how could this be/? It's not in manual and nobody even knows abuot it. We know down or R2 makes it slower/more loopy and R1 and UP the opposite but why would X be good. And he's like yo jus try it. After that my FK that were relatively close to box which I used to fill up till HALFWAY became much more successful because now barely any would hit the tip of the wall and more frequently I score.

It's nothing special but just a simple FK with somebody who neither has good FK accuracy nor curling.

Are you serious? You really think X lofts the ball more? I'll have to try that as well as pressing down. When do you actually press X? That's a great goal, exactly my technique from that position. That's awesome video footage. I just discovered these sites...I want to patch and all that good stuff. What system and game type do you have? What are you doing to record video. I want to make video exactly like that.

Also...from that position if you were to aim for the upper left hand side(to the left of the wall) of the goal and crack one with R1 plus up at around near half (or a little above) power, you can freeze the goalie.

Last edited by a moderator:
PLF said:

I have also heard of using X to get a little more lift on ball to clear ball, but thought X was to be pressed AFTER shot meter has filled to desired strength, and once the camera pulls out to full field view. Wish I knew conclusively. Guess I will experiment in traing to see if I notice the difference. ;)

Yeah pressing X has made my FK success percentage much higher. I think GoldenGoal is right.. you have to press it after meter being filled to halfway or whatever you think is good enough but i dont know if late enough for when camera is showing you take it Goldie ;)

Either way I remember first time I heard it, I said such bullshit. Why would X do anything?? It's not on any site? It's not in manual and we already have buttons like R2 and DOWN to slow the freekick down and make it more lofty but I tried it anyways and ever since I notice many more goals and many more of my shots JUST clearing the wall where as before I'd do the same without pressing X and many times it'd just hit someone in the head or something.

Also it makes it go over the wall or more lofty WITHOUT taking out a lot of its speed like pressing DOWN does.

Just try it.

I have PS2 chipped and WE8LE lol.. what do you mean what system?? It's NTSC I mean.. its from Canada but that doesn't have anything to do with it.

And for recording it's a cheap TV Tuner lol I got it for like $60CDN which aint a lot. Anyways i'm a computer newb anyways, all of these are thanks to other people who recommended what I get and set up for me. I don't know shit about computers, just football ;) lol.

take care

Back
Top Bottom