Formula One Championship Edition (2006) PS3

Can I ask why it matters? I played it at a friends who was stupid enough to buy a PS3. Not the answer you were looking for, but an answer none the less. ;)

indeed, I was hoping for the 'game shop display model' answer, but alas, it was not

it is however still not the final game, that is supposed to be released soon, or so I've read/heard

Does anyone know if GTR is still coming out on the 23rd of this month ?

Some game sites don't mention the game, But you can preorder it from play.com.

Not much build up for what was looking like an excellent game.

:)

I got the Japanese release of F1 when it came out and it is a great game for F1 enthusiasts (once you turn all the aids off that is). It is basically F1 2006 with better graphics (the car models are amazing), better crash physics and in my opinion better sound. There are times where you are almost bracing yourself for impact as you tyre squeal and you go bumping across the gravel trap towards the barrier backwards.

My only real problem with the game is the same as their previous F1 games, the AI is unbelievably slow on the first lap, which means you always run the risk of running into the back of them under braking. Other than my complete inability to ever finish a race without crashing into someone (I really need to be more patient), this game is great and I would definitely recommend it to any F1 fan. Hopefully there will be a patch for the JPN version like Motorstorm is getting allowing online play when the servers go up for the US and EUR releases, otherwise I'll be buying another copy because I think this game online definitely has a lot of potential.

Disappointed to hear that. One of the things i hated most about the ps2 version was the first lap. I used to ease off the accelerator to try and make it fairer, it was possible to gain 10 places in the first lap! Could u tell me if it has another ps2 bug- too easy on medium and too hard on hard?

EDGE Issue 173

Formula One Championship Edition - 4/10

According to Edge the controls are dreadful!

f1.jpg

Thats odd, other PS3 related magazines have given extremely positive reviews. Especially with the realism of the game.

Dj

It is pretty realistic (not Grand Prix series realistic, but good for a console title), but it seems that reviewer had more of a hate for F1 as a sport than he did the game.

As for your medium/hard point, it does seem to me that there is a large gulf between the two difficulties, but I'd assumed the fact that I don't spend ages tweaking my setup was probably something to do with hard being so difficult. I find medium a tad too easy, but not as easy as it was on the PS2 version. The first lap thing isn't as bad as the PS2 either, but is still noticeable.

Thanks for the info mate. I raced with the default set up in the ps2 version and pished it on medium, but on hard mode it was imposs! Whilst i like realistic racing games with good ai, i can't be arsed with set-ups.

Its getting mixed reviews. People saying its too realistic.... Its because of people like that in the past that the game has been crap!

Dj

I shall be getting this as one of my Launch titles on the 23rd. Ill give people my own personal review of it once ive played it a little while.

Dj

I got my import PS3 a couple of weeks back but i didn't get any games as i wanted to try out the demo's from the online shop. I didn't really expect much from F1 Championship Edition after i had the PS2 version and i thought the handling was a bit twichy, also not that impressive reviews from the likes of Edge and such. However after playing the demo i just had to have this game it is just fantastic, the demo only lets you do a quick race on two tracks Monza and USA and there are no pit crews, but i can't remember a racing game where the actual racing is so intense and so fierce.It's also very rewarding racing down the car in front getting closer while shaving 1000s of sec of your lap record then getting up right behind the car at the final corner at Monza then powering down the long straight pulling out the slipstream and waving goodbye, what's also refreshing is that the other cars will constantly use your slipstream to pass you, also i find it to have the the best AI i have seen in a F1 game on console, only once can i remember a car driving into the back of me while coming so a slow corner and that was because another car bumped that car, and thats after maybe 50 or so races. I can easily say this is my most played demo i have ever had. I'm just waiting on my USA import to arrive to play the real deal, just a tip when starting out use the corning aid as it eases you in it's a very subtle aid that works really well when starting off. Did i mention the graphics, the lighting, the rain, just incredible.The handling is also less twitchy/loose than the PS2 version,in fact the last time i had this much fun with a F1 game was the very first f1 game on PSX.. Obviously this type of racing game is not for everyone as some will see this as too anal, while i can't wait to do a half length GP career, well maybe a third..

Don't just take my word for it: http://www.ebgames.com/ReadReviews.asp?product_id=270058

Last edited:
Ok as I stated in the PS3 Thread I now have one of these babies plus F1 CE was my 1st game...

EDGE you guys talk out of your Arse! this game is awesome and im not just talking about the graphics I think it plays good too! Im not finding it too easy or too hard (on Medium Difficulty in Career Mode) I think its fab! Handling is good on the cars, AI is excellent some of the battles ive had so far! Wow!

The only downside is try using the Six Axis tilt control to play this... its rock hard! especially as there are No Sensitvity or Dead Zone settings so it makes the steering that much harder than it should be.

Excellent game what ever F1 fan and racing fan alike should have in their eventual PS3 collection!

Dj

It's a poor attempt at an F1 sim, I'd give Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 a go before getting this if you're an F1 fan.

How wrong you are !! this game is a blinder played this game non stop for 2 days now and i can say i havn't played a more balanced, fun but also challenging F1 game before it's just fantastic, esp the career mode moving up thru the teams from the bottom really does give you a sense of achievement.I really can't recommend this game more highly if your an f1 fan it's deffo the best F1 game i have played and enjoyed.

As for GP4 didn't think that was a console games i assume your talking the PC game, which i have played and i think it plays really slow with absolutely no sense of speed at all and looks tosh too...and worst of all it's on a PC so there's the fun gone for a start, then there is no interaction in the pit stops, it's just too boring for me..

GP4 on PC was ok... however I never felt like I was in control of the game.
Dj

Read a review on eurogamer, rubbish review as the guy couldnt stand f1 to begin with. From what ive read, its a great game for f1 fans, and a horrible one for non fans. Which is logical as people either love f1 or cant stand it. With games like this they really should have a double review, one from a fan and one non-fan to give a good view.

I'm not an F1 fan, but even i can tell how amazing the sense of speed is. Without the driving aids on, it plays a great game because you really feel the fear of crashing!!! You don't really get the same feeling playing GT4, for instance. I think that Sony did well in letting the player decide whether to make it hardcore or an arcade game, based on user settings.

tiktiktiktik (god a lot of tiks). Thats the impression I got too. Edge Magazine said the game was poor yet Gamemaster gave it a respectable 79% which is close to the rating I would give the game. I think its excellent even now having owned it for a few weeks. wilier yep Studio Liverpool did a good job with the settings for the game.GT4 is rubbish ;)

Dj

Back
Top Bottom