Football Manager Live (includes in-depth review)

She already has, you are just running a year or so behind ;)).

Sorry I couldn't resist :DD. A lag joke with jonney is like a sweet shop with a kid.

fucker :MAD::MAD::MAD::MAD::MAD:

im a come round your house and beat u down but knowing my lag by the time i reach your place, you would of got married and moved out :LOL:

by the time i reach your place, you would of got married and moved out :LOL:
Doubt it, it would take some serious fucking lag. ;) :lol:

--------------------

In other news, I've finished my season!

With five games to go I played a reserve league game with someone, who said "omg ur team is shit". Thinking, what a wanker, I ignored him, then he says "ive got dis striker who woz amazin for me, he will score a goal a game for ya mate, u cn hav him for 250k, hes listed for 350k but i no wot its like startin out".

So I took a look at this player he was offering to me - Mateo Jaramillo - and his stats were unbelievable. I couldn't see him on the transfer list because I haven't done enough scouting skills yet to see everyone. I didn't know whether to trust this guy, but I'd saved up £1m and my strikers were by far the biggest problem with my side. And someone from SI had commented that "teams with a wage-bill below £100k will never win" - mine was £75k. So at almost half-price for a proven striker (even though his wages are £20k - more than triple anybody else's wages), I thought, what the hell - let's do this.

I won the next five games on the trot. If only I'd had this guy earlier. :(

fmlssmq7.jpg

In the FA I'm in (each have different rules remember), in the bottom league, 1st-3rd are automatically promoted and 4th-7th are in the playoffs. So I have a very very slight chance of holding on and getting a playoff place... But I won't know until the season ends (and all remaining games are simulated) on 23rd May. Here's hoping...

So how many goals did this guy go on to score? What's his average rating?

You find the average ratings are a bit lower than in previous FMs, but saying that I've only played in League One upwards in FM so perhaps at the bottom it's different. The players in this league are all old and awful. Something I've noticed though is that the attributes don't give away much - the guy I mention above had one guy for sale at £1m. I looked at his attributes and thought, "I've got loads of players better than him and he's selling for £1m?!" - but then I looked at his goals-to-games ratio and it was around 60%-70%. This was despite the fact that his finishing, dribbling, pace and strength were all average. So far I've had one player score 11 in 40, and that's the best scoring ratio I've had until now. :|

But anyway, yeah, ratings are lower (and there's a decimal point now). Each player starts a game on 6.3 - I don't know why it's 6.3 :lol: - and I've only seen players get an 8 five or six times over a season. Never seen a 9 or a 10, for me or for any other team actually (outside the top leagues).

Jaramillo got five goals in five games, five 7 ratings so far I think.

EDIT: And I've just noticed, my team are now described as "ostentatious". How dare they. :lol:

Last edited:
If the review on page one isn't enough for you let me know what you want to know.

Yeah but you're not going to marry her any time soon are you? The brother-in-law went out with my sister for over ten years without proposing (and the only reason he did was because she got him pissed and pointed out the ring she wanted, she's a clever one). :|

Last edited:
:LOL:

Probably get married in around 5 years from now I guess. Will get engaged in about a year or so :TU:.

I hope I get an invite to the wedding - it could be a wedding and an Evo-Web meet-up all at once. That would be something. :|

That review is top class, any game reviewer would be proud of that, thanks JB ;)).

I see why this would be so addictive and how it would be really good fun, but the match engine annoys me no end.

You can't tell if someone's fallen over, you can't tell if a keeper has dived or not, you can hardly tell a header from a volley/overhead kick, you have to look closely to see where a player is facing, good strikers score too many goals (on FM 08 anyway), you can hardly tell the height of the ball, you can't tell the height of the bar etc etc.
I'm not asking for a fully 3D engine with amazing graphics, I would just like one with an angle similar to Championship Manager, but a lot more realistic matches obviously.

I have had some good fun in multiplayer games on FM with my mates, but I'm not sure this sort of thing is for me.

Leagues will be very very slow in this though surely

what if i want to play a few games and 1 guy in the league only comes on for 1 game. That would bring the league to a halt wouldn't it?

I see why this would be so addictive and how it would be really good fun, but the match engine annoys me no end.

You can't tell if someone's fallen over, you can't tell if a keeper has dived or not, you can hardly tell a header from a volley/overhead kick, you have to look closely to see where a player is facing, good strikers score too many goals (on FM 08 anyway), you can hardly tell the height of the ball, you can't tell the height of the bar etc etc.
I'm not asking for a fully 3D engine with amazing graphics, I would just like one with an angle similar to Championship Manager, but a lot more realistic matches obviously.

I have had some good fun in multiplayer games on FM with my mates, but I'm not sure this sort of thing is for me.
First off, you do get a virtual commentator who will hint to you - and sometimes tell you outright - what's really happened. For example, "did that look like a foul?" means it was soft, "that didn't look like a foul!" means it was very soft and "Francis looked like he dived!" means he's conned the ref. There's plenty of hints there when you learn the dialogue.

But saying that, I agree with you. You will see two opposition dots come together and stop dead sometimes - you don't know whether they're sliding on the floor for the ball, whether they've both tried to head the ball and knocked eachother out, or whether they've started having a chat about investment banking.

I noticed a job advertisement the other day though - TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. So FM 2009 might be going 3D...

Leagues will be very very slow in this though surely

what if i want to play a few games and 1 guy in the league only comes on for 1 game. That would bring the league to a halt wouldn't it?
Doesn't work like that.

You get a fixture list generated at the start of the season, as I said before. You can play an opponent whenever you want, but if a fixture comes up to the deadline day (there's several every day) that isn't played, one of the teams will be awarded AI rights - meaning whoever's been online the longest that day will get to play the AI (which just plays the team's last lineup and formation, subbing any injured players and any tired players towards the end of the match). If both of you are offline all day then it will be simulated without you.

Sounds great! Are they going to be charging a one-off fee too + subscription?

(And how much is a 'pint of beer' these days!? :LOL:)

FMs come a long way over the years - I remember being involved as a data researcher back for a couple of the early versions. Sure one of the credit screens has my name in! :D

No mention of one-off fees, just the "cost of a pint per month". As long as it's a pint of beer and not a pint of petrol.

Any updates on a release date Jack? How close are you sensing it is to completetion and to be ready for release?

At the moment it's all working pretty flawlessly, the only complaints people have are the usual ones that SI have pages of stats to back up, things like "too many injuries" and "not enough goals". I don't have any issues with the game whatsoever, bar half the beta-testers not bothering to play games now so you end up playing the AI, which is frustrating. When the full game is out that won't happen though, I'll be surprised if people pay for a game and then don't play it.

No specific release date has been given, the SI guys still say "summer" so I would say August, possibly slipping to September if they're still not happy with it.

Just received the following message from SEGA...

INVITE UP TO FIVE OF YOUR MATES TO JOIN YOUR GAMEWORLD!

We are pleased to see you are enjoying the Football Manager Live BETA test. So to say thanks, we would like to offer you the chance to invite your friends to join you in your gameworld.

You can invite up to 5 of your closest buddies to join you in your gameworld. Getting them signed up is simple, and if you hurry you can add them before the start of the next season.

Remember this is a limited opportunity, gameworld places are few and far between so this must be done on a first come, first served basis... sign them up, set up your friend competitions and then play, win and rub it in!

If anybody wants in, let me know. :)

Just received the following message from SEGA...

If anybody wants in, let me know. :)
Can this only be done if you have been invited to beta test the game?
I would love to give this game a try, but have not been offered the chance to beta test :(( I probably wouldn't be accepted if I applied for it now (too late).

If it is possible for you to invite me to the game, I would love an invite, thanks :)).

Back
Top Bottom