Football Manager 2010

It all builds up to each match for me, your bread and butter is your results and - even though I know the result is pre-determined (i.e. the game isn't "live", it's just showing you something that matches the result) - seeing a really crap goal really puts me off the game.

I'm playing the CM 2010 demo and FM 2009 in constant rotation, and when someone really SMASHES the ball into the goal in CM, it's great. A player scored from miles out for me in FM but in the match engine the ball just shot off with no movement from his leg whatsoever, he made no contact with the ball.

Yeah it's not the most important thing, but it's important enough to detract from the experience for me, and I would have thought their graphics guys would have been doing SOMETHING to it for a year (other than adding new stadia). Just a little bit of a facelift and less robotic animations would have been nice.

Mirrorfootball.co.uk is teaming up Sports Interactive and Sega to give Football Manager fans an exclusive playable preview of Football Manager 2010 on October 16th - two weeks before it hits the shops.

The 'vanilla' demo will allow users to manage any English team for half an in-game season, experiencing all the new features of the full game, and with the option to transfer their saved data over to the game proper when it's released on October 30th.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opi...ly-on-MirrorFootball-co-uk-article183063.html

So in two days time we can see if it's just FM09 with a new database and knobs on or an actual improvement... My prediction is that it will be the former :(.

How would you want it improved? It's a successful engine/game, they're not going to dismantle it completely and start from fresh considering.

The new features, and especially match engine, for this year make it worth the purchase.

Meh, i've been conned into buying almost identical games in the past (i.e. PES), i'm not paying £15+ for something I basically already own (90% the same) :PIRATE:.
It doesn't even have proper dedicated online features, they saved that for a completely seperate total rip-off game (FM Live)...
That said, FM with real teams online with mates is better than FM Live anyway but I still think FM Live should be a game mode of the actual FM.

Maybe SI are just victims of their own success in the sense that they can't do much more to the game so it seems they do very little from year to year.

I'll give the demo a go, cheers Abou :TU:.
Hopefully it's more difficult this time - i'm not a tactical genius and don't have the best football knowledge but got Cardiff to win consecutive quadruples after 7 seasons in an online game. The regens were just too good and were free if you got in early enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Servers being smashed I bet. Only getting 40kb speeds, gonna take 5.5 hours...if anyone finds a speedy link post it?

Played the demo slightly the other day. Liked it. Looks like it's gonna be a good one.

Looking forward to it. A week away....

Agree this seems to be quite an improvement on FM2009, finally they have fixed the striker bug where they constantly missed one on one's. Also liking the way my tactical changes are actually represented on the pitch now.

Yes to get the basic formation right, but then using individual instructions to fine tune, I play as Rovers and don't have much money so have to use what I have got, the squad is full of strong athletic players but their technical ability is limited. In previous versions you couldn't really use their strengths properly, but in this it works, I have my team playing a direct style which involves getting the ball forward quickly to my target man, it is working really well and is realistic!

I like how you can give the players specific roles now, so you can have a defensive winger ala Kuyt or a target man like Zamora, it enables you to get the best out of your players.

I really like the new tactical setup this year.

Yeah and also the visual side of things, I'm talking about the actual 3d on the pitch seems to have improved. I know not everyone cares about that as some people still even use the old 2D buttons but for me it definitely adds a touch of flair.

Now a little bit of a 'personal' thing, feel free to skip it and not get bored. :P

Sadly, as great as FM is and always has been, there's one problem I have with it which will never go away! TIME! lol

It's not the game's fault at all, it's the way life is structured. I LOVE the game but I CAN'T bring myself to play the game like most do where they watch highlights etc.

For me a season takes almost as long as a real season! lol why? I watch every match (Except friendlies) on full (Changing tactical instructions before and during each game as I'm watching the full match unfold) and spend forever on everything else as well from hiring best staff I can get to setting up customized individual training schedules, etc. etc.

So my problem is, I can never enjoy this game without letting it take over my life. So the debate becomes, should I FM? or should I do everything else I do? Lol and up until I was like 18, the answer was FM but for the past 3 versions of the game, I buy it. LIKE it. Enjoy it and decide to give it up as I just can't bring myself to spend 'less' time on it and take things more easy and obviously I deem my social life and everything else more important, so I give up and it starts dusting away....

so on FM09 for example, I completed HALF a season with PSG. Really enjoyed it too but that was it before I saw with all the studies and everything else, I just can't continue with this and by the time I finish a couple seasons, the next FM will be out anyway or database will be far outdated, etc. Believe it or not, the most seasons I've ever completed in an FM game has been 3 seasons and back then I had too much! lol

This thing about FM has always bothered me then and of course has nothing to do with the actual game but more with my personality and how I'm either going ALL out for it or not participating at all.

Sadly I can't say this year will be different. My final year in University, already behind in studies... do I like the demo? will I buy the game? Yeah I think they've really improved what was an already great game and definitely by far the best of its type. But jonestly will I be able to play it the way I want ? No, so I probably won't play it at all (except maybe summer) after a brief period with it. Lol I hate how it has to either take over your life or can't be bothered with it at all. Because I like to think I'm a real manager and a real manager doesn't watch 'highlights' or 'key' incidents only (even extended highlights) and then make adjustments to tactics. He's there on the touchline, noticing every little thing, every little bit as it unfolds. But of course going through something like 38 FULL matches just in the league (More in Europe, domestic cups) as well as spending as much time I do on everything else means I probably take longer to finish ONE season in FM than anyone else I've ever seen and that is not at all a good thing. It would be if I had all the time in the world but who does?

Lol sorry for the long rant. Just felt like getting this off my chest because it's a game I love and yet can never seem to invest the time I want in it and because quite frankly, it needs TOO much time invested in it (at least for the way I'd be willing to play the game). For me it becomes a full-time or I can't play it at all. And since letting it become a full-time job (which is what I'd like) would be too harmful to other areas of life like relationships, studies, etc. I don't let it and haven't for the past few years. :/

Last edited:
PLF, i have exactly the same feelings towards FM as you...i've never even succeeded in playing 3 seasons...my "record" is 2 seasons.
I also watch everything...besides that i don't like PC games too much, that's because technically i'm hopeless...doens anybody know if this game will come out for Xbox 360 like it used to be ?

PLF - Im with you man. Had to stop playing this game purely because i just dont have the time to invest into it to make it worthwhile. Love it too and when I do get a chance it is really enjoyable, however, the time needed to play it properly just isnt viable in my lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom