5 November 2005
Nottingham
Forest, Bulls, Patriots
final-fantasy-13-xiii-logo.png

YouTube - FINAL FANTASY XIII E3 2009 Trailer

YouTube - Final Fantasy XIII Demo Walkthrough Part 1 by GameSpot

YouTube - Final Fantasy XIII Demo Walkthrough Part 2 by GameSpot

Released March 9th 2010

Really surprised this has gone under the radar here, especially since it's released in 9 days.

Apparently it is returning to it's roots as an RPG game, similar to the successful FF7 and FF8 games; in terms of it's battle mechanics and mixture of story/quests.

I'm really looking forward to it, I just hope they've included some memorable characters this time. I felt that with the past few Final Fantasy titles there has been far too many new characters who were meaningless and lacked purpose within the overall story and in turn were very forgettable. Fingers crossed Square Enix have nailed it after all these years waiting.

Thanks for making the thread mj. I was wondering why nobody was talking about it here. I was just about to make a thread as well! I cant wait for it and have it on pre-order. The game looks fantastic, however I am a bit disheartened to hear there are no real towns in the game like previous FF games. But nonetheless I look forward to its release. Roll on March 9th! :)

I read this a while ago and it just put me off the game. doesn't sound like the kind of FF game I'd enjoy.

Quick Facts
* There is no more MP/Mana.
* You automatically regen your HP after every battle.
* The game's story will be chapter based. You'll experience different character point of views depending on the chapter.
* It is said that the game's story alone will take around 50-60 hours to complete.
* Magic can not be used outside of battle.
* The game scales your difficulty depending on the ranks you get after battles.
* Hunts from Final Fantasy XII will be making a comeback. They're called missions and can be acquired in Pulse.
* The Xbox 360 version is to be shipped on 3 DVDs.
* You can no longer escape battles.
* If you are defeated in a battle you have the option of trying that battle again.
* You are graded by a number of stars at the end of each battle:

A new element called the Break bar is added to the battle, as well. It is specific to each enemy, and it depletes as the player performs attack combos marked by a percentage. If the combos continue, "Break Mode" is entered, where even more damage can be done. Enemies in this mode can be launched in the air and juggled with attacks. When a battle is won, a victory screen pops up, giving the player a one-to-five stars ranking on how they did in the battle, as well as showing how long the battle took and the number of chain and break attacks. This information is linked to the Trophy and Achievement systems of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, respectively.

Paradigm Shift
A new option in battle was revealed during Gamescom 2009 called "Paradigm Shift." Using this option, players can switch party members' roles during battle. For example, a character can be switched to use defensive or offensive with fire tactics as the battle dictates.

NO MOAR EXPERIENCE
Instead of gaining experience points, characters will gain CP which will be used in a sphere like menu to purchase abilities and influence stats, similar to Final Fantasy X.

Interesting Combat Changes
The battle system in FF13 will be pretty unique to many FF fans. It will feature an ATB system, but battles will be much more fast paced. You will be able to see all the monsters around you (like FF12) and engage them wherever they are. However, unlike Final Fantasy XII, battles do not take place in the same "dimension", instead there is a short transition and players are transported to a new battle screen, separate from the main playing world. When in battle you will be able to input specific combo commands (kind of like in Crono Cross) as well as use your Eidolons, magic and special abilites.

Summons
The classic summoned creatures called Eidolons (as they were in Final Fantasy IV DS and Final Fantasy IX) will return in Final Fantasy XIII. Each character possesses only one Eidolon that is summoned from a crystal that sprouts from the character's mark of l'Cie. The Eidolons include both series staples like Odin, Shiva, Alexander, and Bahamut, as well as newcomers like Hecatoncheir and Brynhildr. When summoned, the Eidolon stay in battle while the characters accompanying the summoner leaves the party. There is also a new feature called "Gestalt Mode" (known as "Driving Mode" in Japan), which when activated joins the summoned and its summoner somehow; for example, the character Snow can ride and steer the combined Shiva Nix and Shiva Styria which is a motorcycle. This changes the pace of the combat significantly. But not all summons turn into mechanical vehicles; Odin's Gestalt Mode changes him into a horse for Lightning to ride, while Alexander's Gestalt Mode changes him into a large castle which surrounds the enemy and fires cannon balls at them from all sides. The summons play a major role in the game's storyline as well, much like Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy X.

Really surprised this has gone under the radar here, especially since it's released in 9 days.

Apparently it is returning to it's roots as an RPG game, similar to the successful FF7 and FF8 games; in terms of it's battle mechanics and mixture of story/quests.

I'm really looking forward to it, I just hope they've included some memorable characters this time. I felt that with the past few Final Fantasy titles there has been far too many new characters who were meaningless and lacked purpose within the overall story and in turn were very forgettable. Fingers crossed Square Enix have nailed it after all these years waiting.

Thanks for making the thread mj. I was wondering why nobody was talking about it here. I was just about to make a thread as well! I cant wait for it and have it on pre-order. The game looks fantastic, however I am a bit disheartened to hear there are no real towns in the game like previous FF games. But nonetheless I look forward to its release. Roll on March 9th! :)

i honestly thought no one on these boards liked FF. i've been waiting for a current-gen FF since forever too!

Extreme linearity? It's not that linear, it has optional side missions and quests!

No offence intended, but I honestly think you and many others are labouring on this point about games being too linear. Most games are linear to a point (including most RPGs), if they weren't where would the continuity be in the game? The character development? The story? Uncharted 2 was extremely linear, but that wasn't a bad thing - it was brilliant as a package.

I get the fact that because it is supposed to be an RPG you want the game to be more open, but it seems to me that with a game like this that is likely to exceed 60hours (this is the estimate from Square Enix themselves without doing all the side missions) by not having a linear path you would lose your attachment to the story and the characters.

(p.s. This is also mainly why I am not a huge fan of sandbox games as I feel detached throughout because there is no linearity. What's the point in carrying on after you have finished the story and side missions?)

Last edited:
I'm all for linear games to be honest. It's good to have a goal in sight and not balls around travelling to missions for hours ala Far Cry 2 :ROLL:

Definately getting this :)

Extreme linearity? It's not that linear, it has optional side missions and quests!

Yes, you're right, and I put my point so abruptly.

I was moaning because of all that info that appeared that the initial 55% of the game is completely linear, linear in the way of being a corridor and fighting the next robot/enemy all the time. Japanese reviews have criticized it a bit.

I'm all for linear games as long as they don't happen to be a long corridor, specially if they have some RPG component. Even if the events are linear, I would like to explore and have the chance to discover / miss things by my own.

That's what I meant for "linearity". In a game like Uncharted, it doesn't matter to me. In a FF game, it does.

That, added to that list above, have lowered my hype for the game a lot. I enjoyed FFX and FFVII the most.

Apologies if it sounded too much as a "rant".

normally i'd have pre ordered any ff game but not so sure about this after what i've read so far, anyway i've downloaded the first dvd (not gonna bother with the other 2 dvd's as i just want to test it) of the 360 version so gonna give it a good go today then if it's any good i'll buy the ps3 version

Ahh Billy you'll love it. Absolutely stunning visuals, soundtrack and story so far...

Loving the paradigm shifts aswell, really mixes up your battles.

This game is brilliant! I must admit it starts off quite linear and straightforward as you learn the ropes but your efforts are not in vain - once the battle system really kicks and you progress to fighting tougher enemies it really is a beauty. I'm loving crafting stategies against different enemies and levelling up my characters. The summons, just WOW!

The cutscenes just get better and better aswell, by far the best looking game on the system, breathtaking at times. I can't get the battle music out my head either! :LOL:

20hrs in and have loved every moment. I can see now why it's taken so long to create it really is a class product.

Only played 30 minutes of it so far. It's ok, not great like the previous games. Visually its brilliant but then again it would be seeing how FF games have always been for its time, and with this being the first next gen installment, it didnt expect any less. But lots of little things I dont like so far (pretty much all the stuff that Radiation listed above) so I'm hoping the story will keep me hooked.

This is about my first proper go at (any) FF game.

I dont 'get it'?!

Dull so far, just following the path laid out in front - follow down a corrider and press X a load of times to win a fight on 'Auto'.

I've got no say in the story or development and I hate the way your HP restores after a battle. You basically cannot die??

Really want to like it as its a class franchise and looks (and sounds) superb, but not hooking me at the moment :(

Maybe it starts slow but it should pick up and become interesting. I've never played a dull FF before tbh.

All the reviews say that it takes a while to get going. I will be picking it up sometime soon

This is about my first proper go at (any) FF game.

I dont 'get it'?!

Dull so far, just following the path laid out in front - follow down a corrider and press X a load of times to win a fight on 'Auto'.

It gets a lot better, the first 15hours are so are all about the background to the story and getting you used to the controls. And the controls/battle mechanics are REALLY deep. Once you start mixing paradigms and abilities it's a real tactical battle. One of the best battle systems in a game yet for me.

I've got no say in the story or development and I hate the way your HP restores after a battle. You basically cannot die??

You will rue the day you said that, trust me :LOL:. It is quite forgiving in the first few hours but it gets really tough as you start facing bosses/bigger creatures later on.

Really want to like it as its a class franchise and looks (and sounds) superb, but not hooking me at the moment :(

All I can say is stick with it. I'm about 20hrs in and the difference between the first few hours and now is night and day, it's wayyyy harder and you really have to be smart with how you approach battles with certain enemies. Simply pressing 'x' does not cut it. It's a real sense of achievement working out how to master beating bosses through a combination of paradigms, attacks and magic. The summons are sublime also. I'd say the first third of the game is just learning the massive battle system and upgrading your characters (something you need to invest time into as you will definitely need it in the last two thirds), and this has always been the way with FF and this is no different. This game is a long EPIC journey.

-----

Lami I see you're a mod again? Congrats buddy.

Last edited:
Cheers MJ :)

Gonna stick with it for a while longer anyways and resisting the temptation to follow the walk through. I like to read it after I've finished an area to see if I missed anything!

in the beginning I also thought ffxiii was dissapointing - too much just pressing X without thinking etc...
but after a few hours of playing I have changed my mind.
ffxiii is absolutely a great game !!!

after proceeding in story-line you will be able to fight very tactically - which is more important and better than it was in the past.

Will be getting this at the weekend, Resonance Of Fate is supposed to be superb and has a better fighting system than FF so checking that out as well :)

I have the Platinum!!!

:DANCE::DANCE::DANCE::DANCE::DRUNK::BEER:

Took me 87hours in total (so I beat my 90 estimate).

Here's are some pics taken from my iPhone :thumbsup: :

There's some grinding ahead of you boys I tell thee - feel free to ask any other questions, I feel like I've been through the ringer with this game.

Are there any of those 9999+ ultimate monsters in the game like in FF7?

Yeah, mainly Mission 64, Vercingetorix, who has a massive 15,840,000HP :CONFUSE:. It took me 2hrs to get 5 stars on Mission 64. The first time I did it, it took me 24 mins - mainly because of his 15million HP and his incredibly powerful attacks and didn't get any stars whatsoever. I did 5 star it eventually after all the cursing and swearing... and even though my 5 stars victory only took 8 mins in the end it took me some 30+ attempts with all my roles maxed and with the most powerful defensive/offensive gear on including 3 ultimate weapons.

Mission 54 (The Giant Cactuar) is also a right bugger. He is almost impossible to beat with a 5 star rating and takes about 10 mins even with all the best equipment. He only has 1,111,111HP compared to the 15 million of Mission 64 above, but his 1000needles attack is lethal. You have to resort to the Lucky Break trick to defeat him with 5 stars, this is the only way.

The Long Gui/Shaolong Guis are also tough later on. By far the most frustrating part of this game is all the grinding that is required to level up your crystarium for abilities and the Trap farming from the Adamantoises for GIL to upgrade weapons/accessories (which only have a 5% drop rate :CONFUSE:).

Great game though, I love the new battle system and the graphics are mind blowingly good. There's also a few gems thrown in that reminisce with previous Final Fantasy games. The story is a little confusing in parts but is typical of a Final Fantasy game.

If anyone decides to go for the Platinum trophy/1000G give me a shout for some tips of the best places to grind/farm Traps and CP. I feel like I know this game inside out now.

Not that Cactuar again... I hated that piece of shit in FFX. It was tiny but lethal with its 1000 needles. What a little prick..

Back
Top Bottom