FIFA2006 PS2 Final version

looks like this game got mixed reviews. i bought it today to see what the rival is to pro evo. and i must say i thought it was awful. just really didnt enjoy playing it at all. They are even trying to make it more like pro evo, even down to the controls, which surely proves once and for all thatfifa is miles behind pro evo, in almost all respects now. if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then fifa sincerely wish they had konami's game. yes fifa got better than before, but purely due to trying to be like pro evo. Overall, i just wasnt at all impressed, seemed like the usual fifa game to me. Its made me want pro evo even more now.

dannyemerson said:
looks like this game got mixed reviews. i bought it today to see what the rival is to pro evo. and i must say i thought it was awful. just really didnt enjoy playing it at all. They are even trying to make it more like pro evo, even down to the controls, which surely proves once and for all thatfifa is miles behind pro evo, in almost all respects now. if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then fifa sincerely wish they had konami's game. yes fifa got better than before, but purely due to trying to be like pro evo. Overall, i just wasnt at all impressed, seemed like the usual fifa game to me. Its made me want pro evo even more now.

Amen brother! Keep preaching thr truth :)

fifa 06 is better than '05 one, im completely unbiased. but from playing the awful (in my opinion WE9, not a patch on PES4!) that this is right up there with it if PES5 is identical.

omg if the fifa badge was on WE9 you would all be complaining and not focusing on the postitives from it, but WE9 does have alot of negatives and more importantly not as fun as WE8/PES4, whats the point of realistic gameplay without being enjoyable

the point is that harcore pes fans will still enjoy pro evo 5 just like i do dispite its realism, i like it much more betetr than previous pro evo's so u can kiss my fuuking a$$ heheh

The game's shooting is disgusting - really fake looking. But the worst thing that got me, and it would of knocked any Konami programmer sick, was a free-kick i took which the goalie caught BEHIND THE LINE! and the continued to smother it BEHIND THE LINE! Shoddy animation, makes me sick!

EDIT: I'd actually go as far as saying the long passing is disgusting too...and the goal keepers on 1-on-1's (the fact the don't run out).

The animation thing tho had me fuming - ridiculous bug.

How come in Fifa games the camera angles are shocking? You never get a decent view of the goals. I agree the shooting is pathetic and this game should be banned its that bad. It could give you serious depression.

Mini review

graphics - Lighting when playing a game is near perfect. It's not the ghostly white that some make it out to be. pitches look perfect(something i don't have to edit).
player models are poor so are kits. Animations fairly good. ball physics just OK. nets are better crowds the best. stadiums the best.

gameplay - shooting is HORRIBLE not anything you can determine yourself very very poor it feels completely scripted once you get to goal. Something I thought they'd have fixed by now. What lazy bastards at EA.

everything else very playable.

this is a good game to play it's manager mode with but NOT to play to play a soccer sim.

Here is a review of FIFA 2006 by this guy on Pesinsight:

adamchapman said:
dont know if this is the wright place to write this message but what the hell - my thoughts on fifa 06 - fifa is still pretty bad! passing is week, scoring can be hard but once youve scored 2 or 3 then all the goals fly in and u can win 5-6-7 nil
player models still look a little dodgy to me, some players look quality but fifa players just dont look as realistic as pro evo!

However, the best thing about fifa is the commentry - how they talk about team rivalries before a match - talk about individual players like ruud van nistelrooys scoring record etc. They actually talk about the game your playing where as pro evo tends to talk about crap - like in pro when its a shot that hits row z, trevor says "great world class save"

i like the vollying on fifa 06 and some of the goals you can score are pretty cool

the season mode is where pro could take note! For example i picked a season as spurs, you get to make a manager up, chose a sponsorship deal, you can then scout for players, emply staff, choose ticket prices. The league itself is good as you have premier league, fa cup, league cup and uefa championships!!! Pro Evo could benefit by improving its master league by adding more depth!

Dont get me wrong i am a pro evo fan 110% and have bought the last four on ps2 and others on ps1! Played the pes5 demo and its brilliant, already ordered pes5 so looking forward to playing it as everything seems to have been improved - i cant fault it other than the ref blowing his whissel every 5 mins!!

Last note...if fifa 06 is the only 'fully licensed' football game - why havent they got the NIKE sponsorship!! Man utd and Arsenal's kits along with barca etc havent got the nike tick on the shirts!!! FIFA is weak!!!

*Feel free to comment on this message - i wont take offence if u slate me***

I'm not a big FIFA fan, but like alot of people I like to give it a chance, well certainly a try out. FIFA 2005 was the first FIFA since the days of FIFA 95 that I actually played on for any great length, it was different and it held my attention till PES4 came out. FIFA 06 IS an improvement over it, but not a big one.

The 'first touch' has been toned down, now you need a really good player to bring the ball out of the air, and even then it can be a hit and miss thing.

The midfield do seem to get forward more, without you having to 'make' them run, and now the calling for a player to make a run seems harder to do, well at least the right one!

Long balls, I think they are much better in this version, you can now 'ping' a ball across the field, or knock it over the top without it just running into the keepers box.

The pitch now seems bigger all over, longer and wider, making for a far more expansive game of footie.

COM defending, it is much harder to run clear of defenders, no matter who you are, so it's very like WE/PES of old this way, you do have to pass the ball much more.

Kits and player likenesses, probably the worst area, they have the licences, yet they cant achieve what alot of the WE/PES patching community can, on the Arsenal kit, the O2 is too small, the Premiership badges look blurred and the whole kit looks totally flat, collar and all. For West Ham, down the left it looks like the Paul Konchesky twin show as Etherington is a spit for his left back. Marlon Harewood looks like Bobby Zamora still and vice versa.

Manager mode, this does indeed look superb, and this year you dont have to start with a Div 1 or 2 club either, most clubs will let you start there. The whole signing a new Sponsorship deal is good too.

Game modes, more than you can shake a stick at, cups, leagues, more cups, challenges, cups and more leagues, you'd never ever finish every single scenario in this game.

Shooting, most comments in the thread has been about this, it's true that this year they seemed to have hit a snag here, although shooting now seems more accurate, the exceution of it seems badly implemented, it's kinda like PES4 on Live last year sometimes, you need to shoot early due a slight lag between you pressing the button and the shot happenning, but a few more games and you soon get the hang of it.

Slow down, something I certainly wasnt expecting and it seems very random at times, now this it the XB copy I'm playing, but often there is slowdown in some areas of the game, and it's just at certain times, it's actually hard to know when it happens, it can happen in the middle of the pitch when you try a long pass, but it doesnt seem determined by alot of players on screen at any one time, nor is it waiting on the commentary either, hard to explain why it happens, but still shocked it's in the final code.

Commentary, probably the best of any football game ever, and thank goodness they got rid of Motty, it's Clive Tylesday and Andy Gray who they used in the UEFA Champs League game and they do a marvellous job.

Overall it's not as bad as people say on here and it is FIFA getting near the WE/PES series playabilty wise. Stadiums and sound is fantastic, just a pity the kits and overall playabilty aint there, but there could be a time when they do it right, maybe by accident, but who knows.

I am a dyed in the wool believer in the religion of PES/WE and always will be, but I have to agree with Holio here that FIFA 2006 is not so bad. Unlike any other FIFA game I've picked up since about 99 (I've skipped a couple of years), it's tolerably playable for more than 15 minutes. For more than 15 hours, let alone 150 like PES, probably not, but it's stomachable. You can knock it around properly and the ball physics are so much better than they used to be it's not even funny. And it is nice to have the better commentary, game atmosphere (including club-specific chants), huge number of leagues, etc. I think FIFA 06 could be regarded okay if you just see as a toy, a piece of candy.

PES, on the other hand, is and has always felt to me like playing real football.

Guys, are we that ignorant and blind????

FIFA 2006 is utter rubish..I played it and it sucks..The scripted crosses, shots, animations..everything sucks!

They can't even touch KONAMI with their pathetic soccer games..

But the net animations arent bad... ;) MrJFlores, in terms of recent FIFA's and hell even not so recent FIFA's this game is stand out, it really has come on along way, I by no ways am saying it's as good as PES/WE, but what I am saying it's not as bad as everyone on here is saying, in a world where there is no PES/WE and for along time there wasn't an official stateside version of that game, this is a decent game.

It has problems, but so does PES/WE. I don't believe FIFA to be a simulation of football, whereas PES/WE is much closer representation of the game. I just dont think it deserves the complete and utter slagging it's been getting everywhere, it's and 7 out of 10 game, a 74% or a 7.2/10, whatever way you look at it, it's not complete dross. I've been around pretty long time and I have seen complete and utter dross football/soccer games, embarassingly bad games my friend, and this version of FIFA does not deserve to rank beside them.

Agree Holio,I started playing this last friday,didn't think too much of it,tbh,but the more you play it,the deeper it becomes,the more enjoyable it becomes.
All in all a great effort (at last) from EA,the online play is superb.
I ain't into playing the cpu,it gets boring and repetitive,but playing other humans,its a whole new ball game.
I played this online for 5 hours last night,it felt more like 1 hour,so ea must be doing something right(and trust me,I'm a massive pes fan)
I hate praising that lot,but credit where credits due,its a good game.

Hmmmmm, Yeah...I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with you guys on that. FIFA 2006 seemed the same old rubbish game to me with a few improvements. What ticks me about all FIFA games is the scripted everything. You don't feel like you are in control and the ball physics along with the awful shooting and bad player models are just too bad to enjoy. The gameplay did improve, although not a lot, at the end, even the somewhat improved gameplay is overshadowed by all the other negative things.

And besides, the nets animation still doesn't look right. They still behave like brick walls at times and don't animate smoothly realistically. They just seem to animate in slow motion. At least on the Xbox version.

Keep trying EA, eventually you'll get it...NOT!

Well after my Norn Iron lost to Wales today, I fired up FIFA 06 for some revenge, now there's an idea FIFA 06 : Revenge wonder if I could TM that name.

Anyhow, stuck it on to see Norn Iron playing in their nice green kits, to realise that they are the Patrick Kits from 2 years ago. Pure laziness of the programmers........... so you've let me down FIFA, I tried to argue that you'd pulled your finger out this year, but no, underlying it all, all the details arent there, pure RRRRRUUUBBBBIIIISSSSHHHHH

As for the result I won 2v1 :D and as for the net animations I thought they pretty awesome when I hit the goal from 25 yards out with Damian Johnson. :D

Last edited:
Man I hate this game, online was crap, you cant draw, and its so easy, well for me to score against the other players, I only played 4 lost the first one Saints vs Chelsea, on penalties after 1-1, then I won the other 3 with Saints vs Arsenal (Henry looks crap as do all the players, and kits), vs Chelsea again then vs Valencia. The net animations suck, they barely move, free kicks and corners arent, as effective as PES, bad copying, the ball looks like its stuck to the players feet in most moves, like the step over, the ball stops spinning, and stays on the foot, then the passing is either super accurate or doesnt go to the person you want, shooting is easy, as the keepers do that one handed save into the goal, and the ball just flows smoothly along the floor, as if the surface is flat.

Poor effort, I was liking it to begin with something different, but today I just saw how crap it is and took it back on 10 day return 3 days in, worse then PES I think, ahhh roll on PES5.

Just thought id point out that gamespot gave Fifa 06 a review today and they gave it a staggering 9/10. How the hell did that happen. I mean gamespot review games pretty well and dont give that many high reviews..
I was extremely surprised, spose ill rent this and see how it goes!!!

In the last year or so Gamespots reviews have been cr@p. Their reviewers are on crack. MGS4 - 8.6/10??? WTF. If you want more accurate reviews go to IGN or buy OPSM2.

Nice to hear the comments from all the 13 year olds on here who in reality have never even seen FIFA 06 let alone played it for more than 5 mins to post the comments they make.

Still, ignoring the chavtastic "yeah's it's crap, innit" crowd who really need an IQ test before they post anything on any topic on these forums, here's an unbiased review of the game:

- It's the best FIFA so far. Given the past 5 years of FIFA have been weak in the extreme, this may not be the biggest compliment but they have made a move in the right direction. The gameplay isn't scripted, if it was, you'd have the same situations repeat themselves under identical conditions and that just doesn't happen. (I realize for the chavs on here that sentence was WAY too complicated for them to understand but they'll be working out how to write a reply with 10 swear words every line rather than technicalities).
- Graphics. Poor compared to PES5. Fuzzy and suffers from slowdown at times. No worse slowdown that PES5 but slowdown none the less.
- Licenses. We know the deal here. They have the money, they spend it, they get the licenses. enough said.
- Shooting. Again, if this was scripted, the game would be full of sweetspots like FIFA 2001/02/03 but there aren't and I've played 50+ games. Shooting is more realistic in terms of ball speed than PES5 which has developed superhuman shots from 40+ yards out with almost any player regardless of ability. In terms of other ball physics, curve, bounce, etc. PES5 is far superior. EA need to study PES5 ball physics before they can hope to bring the FIFA series in line in terms of ball behavior independent of thep layer.
- Depth. Konami's Master League is very, very poor in comparison to the Career Mode on FIFA, not just because of the lack of depth in terms of teams, leagues, etc. Basically put, The Master LEague, with fake players, is unrealistic from start to finish. 2 divisions, regenerated players who you can turn into superstars by their 21st birthday, the infiltration of classic players, etc. FIFA allows you to be any team, play full seasons with realistic cups and you can work your way up from League Two to the Premiership. The ML lacks depth and past the 4th or 5th season breaks into fantasy territory too much.
- Presentation. Musically FIFA rules with it's tracklist. Konami insist on sticking to a soundtrack from bad Japanese techno music (other than PES5's brilliant intro movie and song). The menus in FIFA are slow and load/save times are too slow on the PS2. I prefer the menu setup in PES5 where you don't have to go through a hierarchy of menu items to reach what you want.
- Player movement. PES4 was very reaslistic. PES5 offers more moves but forces the sidestep on your player 50+ times a game. Every time almost you go to beat a player one on one, the dreaded sidestep comes into play. FIFA allows more natural movement of the players and is very fluid this year although their "cancel" button compared to PES5 is very slow in reacting.
- Scripted Play? PES5 falls prey to the same bugs as FIA from the last 5 years in that the defense autoclears the ball for you most of the time if you don't hit buttons. When you try to take possession of the ball and distribute it to the wings rather than just whack it up the field, this can be annoying. This is the first year where auto-clearances actually happen more in PES than in FIFA. Not a step in the right direction for Konami.
- AI. EA have a lot to learn about AI in terms of marking and intercepting easily cut-out balls. You get away with a lot of passes in FIFA which in real life would never make it through. You do have a realistic chance of winning 50:50 balls though which in PES5 above 4 star will mostly go to the computer regardless of the advanatge you should have in winning the ball if you're player is faster, is at a better recover angle, etc. Konami does cheat a lot more in harder levels and you can lose the majority of 50:50, 60:40 and even 70:30 balls in your favor which can make it very annoying, especially on 5 or 6 stars. FIFA however, seems to make the computer players almost error free instead of just smarter and both games suffer from this lack of true AI. Better teams should play smarter, not make superhuman shots or have superhuman burst of speed to beat you to the ball.

Anyway. FIFA 06 isn't that bad. To say it sucks proves you haven't played it and you're just posting to see your name in the thread. No doubt the chavs will reply "f*** balls man, sucks innit, $#@@#$# %%%##W#@, FIFA sucks, Konami is perfect you F###ing %@%#$#@" so there, I've saved oyu the trouble of posting.

My overall review is that PES5 is a better game overall by some distance but it's farfrom perfect. FIFA is a lot better but still falls short in areas it really should perform better in. Bottom line is, FIFA 06 doesn't suck though, that's an imature, biased and childish statement which shows you can't actually express yourself beyond cuss-words and trying to act all hard to make up for the fact you spend half the day popping zits and practicing "cool" handsigns in front of the mirror.

hehe we have played it wolf..you gotta remember alot of us were fifa fans before...so we always give it a spin...sure some make ignorant comments......but you cant tell me shooting isnt 200% unsatisfying and scripted....and the graphics leave alot to be desired......and i certainly wouldnt praise fifa's pathetic attempt to copy we/pes gameplay and controls.....the reason most here like we/pes over fifa?..gameplay...gameplay...and uhh gameplay.....as usual fifa has better presentation..more graphical content...license...etc....surebnot having licenses sucks..but its always been this way......and thats why forums liek this exist for us...so we can all gather and make patches and make it better than if the game was licensed.....the problems in we/pes(other than crowds) can be fixed or adjusted.fifa gameplay cannot....period.....only time will tell...

ps.i think you know as well as i do that this forum is very PRO we/pes.....this argument will get better feedback at sg forums....

Last edited:
TheWolf said:
Reefur man, you know I don't mean you in those generic group statements! :)
i know my friend :) just lettin ya know i gave fifa2006 a honest shot(obviously i wasnt too please yet)...and youre right..its the best one in awhile....but i think it has a way to go...but then so does we/pes in many ways... :D sorry if i sounded like an ass..i often do this without trying especially with fifa/EA as the topic.....in the end im more mad at EA for buying exclusive NFL license...its so communist to have only one choice..plus i applied for a job at EA in redwood city..they offered me chicken scratch to do a mans job...mehh on them....no wonder they are losing alot of their best programmers and development team ;)

ps.i hope you stay with us....in the we/pes community.....although i dont mind if u play fifa as well hehe :D

Last edited:
Hey TheWolf, your on crack. Fifa blows. Always has, always will. It did improve over it's previous versions, but it's still crap.

That's my short review of the game.

Peace!
;-)

embraceuk1 said:
I love how the tables have turned and now we have embarrassing WE/Pes fanboys instead of Fifa ones

I think it's just trying to get people to keep an open mind about things and not been blinkered to other ideas. I've said enough about FIFA, like TheWolf, I dont believe it deserves the 'sucks man' comments etc, the lack of innovation in the PES series since 3 has left me kinda thinking 'ea update' sort of thing from Konami.

It had just became a little stagnant, the last 2 years I havent even done a ML series, I know alot of people don't, but it used to be my PES stable, I done all the cups, got enough skills then went for a ML, I havent in the last 2 years. PES4 didnt hook me in at all, and it had some licences!!!!! I didnt even do the International Cups!!!

EA has tried different things on the last 2 years which havent been complete bobbins, the management thing started last year, and this year's was just an extension on it, it's not perfect, and this year I do believe the game has better AI than last years, but it is flawed, wrong kits, ropey graphics, slowdown, and player likenesses being awful, however the gameplay has been improved. It's a 6 or 7 out of 10 game. I'm looking forward to PES this week and hope it does grab me, but I'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping the COM doesnt cheat as much in this years PES as it had become, I hate playing football when you work open a chance and set your striker free, just for him to be pulled back or caught up as easy by some aging chump of a defender like Hyypia ;)

With Fifas Career options every year if they ever did get it right Winning Eleven would be screwed in Europe and Winning eleven hasn't changed much in 2 years while fifa has kept evolving.

I just feel the shooting and other niggly little things ruin the game for me.

Things like not being able to burst clear of defenders, AI defenders constantly hoofing it out of play when there's no need, goalies not coming out at all...

I got this yesterday and in all fairness its not a bad game at all.

Of course it cant compete with the in depth gameplay of Winning Eleven 9, in fact i dont think you can ever compare the two, because they are not the same animal

But its nice to have an alternative. Theres still obvious problems like some scripting, and the shooting is a little bit weird but it plats a decent game and at least the players are more mobile.

theres obviously a lot of ripping off done from pes, it even has the same moves!

The old fifa game was a nice addition too.

Back
Top Bottom