FIFA09 REAL SIMULATION GUIDE (7 tips/rules to have a realistic FIFA experience!)

Honome

The Hated Chatbox Murder
16 April 2003
Brasil
Fluminense
Everyone agree that even being the best football nowadays Fifa have lots of problems and some of them are frustrating for who want to have a real simulation of a game of football. Those tips/rules have the intention to help people to play FIFA09 like it should be done, more simulation than arcade.

The 4 main problems that make the game too arcady are the unbalanced stmina/speed factor that let people run the whole game without any restriction and let the impression that the game is too fast, defenses positioned too high that makes almost all the games have counter attacks after counter attacks, pressure on the offense zone too effective that makes that too many goals are scored becouse of stolen balls on the offense half, and too little time to work with the ball in the miedfield when in possession of it that forces almost all the players to use quick passes and make the midfield almost useless.

I presents simply changes in the mentality of the players that want a simulation football game. The tips/rules are very easy to follow and worth a try, i assure that everyone that tries will have a great experience.

1) USE FULL MANUAL CONTROL SETTINGS
This is by far the most important rule if you realy want a simulation experience in FIFA09. Manual controls gives the player full control of the play and is much more rewarding when we score using manual passing and shooting, in stead of simply press the buttons repeatedly the player actualy have to THINK before passing or shooting.
If you´re new on manual controls play a lot of games on PROFESSIONAL, that´s really good for practice the pass, shoot and cross powers and timings.
Some tips on manual passing: Use Y / TRIANGE to make short passes and let the A / X to make through balls and longer passes, that might seem crazy but is really how that works, the short passes with Y / TRIANGLE are the secret for manual passing.
Tips on manual shooting: Shooting on manual can be very difficult at the beggining but after some practice is much more fun and realistic to use it in stead of assisted. This time the secret is to only aim where you want to shoot at the exact moment that the player hit the ball on the shot, doing it right you´ll never have shots going out for the throw line anymore!
Another tip is never take your eyes off the goal, look where you want to put the ball when aiming, don´t aim full up thinking it will go in that it won´t, you have always to aim based on your player position compared to the goal. Can be hard to master it but after you do you´ll see goals that you never scored before on FIFA09.
Tips on manual crossing: The crossing is almost the same as shooting, only difference is that you have to aim just a little before the player is touch the ball for crossing. That can be tricky and need some practice but, again, after this is mastered you´ll be able to make crosses never imagined on assisted.

2) USE CAMERA ZOOM AT MINIMAL
Some people say that Fifa need to have larger fields or smaller players. I think that it´s all a matter of the default camera zoom (TELE). If we zoom it to minimal not only the field will look bigger but the game will seems a lot slower, so that definely makes a good difference in gameplay.

3) GAME SETTINGS SLOW, DIFFICULTY WORLD CLASS, 1O MINUTES
If you play a game on professional than change to world class the difference of speed will be quickly noted. For that reason always when playing on WORLD CLASS we must use SLOW speed for more realistic pace and a few more time with the ball in the miedfield, of course, only when used with some rules below.

4) NEVER USE THE RIGHT STICK TO PUT THE BALL AHEAD WHEN ATTACKING, USE IT ONLY TO SKILL MOVES AND CHANGE PLAYERS
That can make a real difference in the game. That´s a move used by many players in real football and should be legitim but in FIFA09 it´s just too effective when used on breakaways with a quick player. With only the speed button is already too easy to break defenses, so the right stick simply can´t be used for running if you want a realistic game.

5) DON´T USE THE RUNNING BUTTON WHEN YOU´RE IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL IN YOUR OWN HALF
That´s the most important change that must be done to end the festival of counter attacks that FIFA09 are usually. A simply rule, don´t run when you have the ball until you reach the half line makes two main changes:
The first one is that the CPU defense will not be so exposed to breakaways once you begin running and that will make the normal run run run style ends for not being so efective anymore.
The second change is that will make your team go up the field too and will also gives you much more time with the ball with miedfielders that will be able to slow down and think about passing, it will be not only have breakaways all game long.

6) NEVER USE DOUBLE PRESSURE (X+A / SQUARE+X), EXCEPT TO DEFEND WHEN THE BALL IS IN YOUR OWN BOX
That´s another thing too effective and unrealistic on FIFA09, we can pressure and double pressure the other team the entire game in the entire field, that simply doesn´t happens in real life. So no double pressure neither on the defensive half or ofensive half. The only place that´s legitim to use double team is on desperation defense in your own box, for that the effectiveness is correct, must be hard to have a clear shot facing two or more defenders. To defend only use normal pressure (A / X) OR CPU pressure (X / SQUARE), never both together.

7) DON´T USE CPU PRESSURE (X / SQUARE) WHEN OPPONENT HAVE THE POSSESSION OF BALL IN THEIR OWN HALF, USE ONLY SELECTED PLAYER PRESSURE (A / X) WITHOUT RUNNING
Finally, but not less important, this rule is to end with the excess of ball steals on the offense zone. Of course that happens in real life also but in FIFA09 that happens simply too many times. Too many goals are scored pressuring and double pressuring defenders in posesion of the ball. You´re alowd to pressure but never running! And since in the CPU pressure the player automatically runs it must not be used. Use only nmormal pressure (A / X) without run, that way the number of stolen balls on the offense zone will drop considerably. Don´t forget that that rule is only for the offensive zone, in your defensive zone you can normal pressure running or CPU pressure, of course!

Last edited:
homone and me play online every once in a while and it is great fun...

homone my wife leaves wed, Im free this weekend, also buddy lets admin a league over at xboxlive sports leagues for fifa 10 with these rules

homone and me play online every once in a while and it is great fun...

homone my wife leaves wed, Im free this weekend, also buddy lets admin a league over at xboxlive sports leagues for fifa 10 with these rules

Let´s play some games this weekend so! Too bad i was banned from xboxlive site simply becouse i couldn´t complete a game in my NHL league becouse i had a very busy week, the guys over there seems to be a little too intransigent... :(

I'd love to be able to go manual on shooting but the sticks are too slack for me to get any real accuracy..

Man, you must try practicing on PROFESSIONAL, and follow my tips, always aim for the goal and never too much up or down and only aim at the right time that is in the exact moment the player touch the ball when shooting. Try that and you´ll be able to shoot on manual!

Let´s play some games this weekend so! Too bad i was banned from xboxlive site simply becouse i couldn´t complete a game in my NHL league becouse i had a very busy week, the guys over there seems to be a little too intransigent... :(

WHAT... really.. they are serious about there deadlines and want to weed out the pretenders from the simmers

Man, you must try practicing on PROFESSIONAL, and follow my tips, always aim for the goal and never too much up or down and only aim at the right time that is in the exact moment the player touch the ball when shooting. Try that and you´ll be able to shoot on manual!

I'll keep battering the crowd, stands and corner-flags... ;)

These are some good tips, but I think there are huge problems with the game if we are forced to avoid using certain buttons and moves in order for the game to feel and look real. Its a band-aid solution.

These are some good tips, but I think there are huge problems with the game if we are forced to avoid using certain buttons and moves in order for the game to feel and look real. Its a band-aid solution.
Certain things are included in the game to aid casual players

well it makes the game play alot better, so if you want to have more fun and want a true sim, play this way... all games have flaws, but if the core gameplay is solid, you should be able to play sim style to make it better, there have been online leagues like this for ages, where rules apply to the leagues to avoid people using exploits, there are no ways to enforce within the game, but if you get respectful true sim gamers, then your having a blast vs playing complete dickheads on live and your friends who dont care and just want to score 8 goals a game

well it makes the game play alot better, so if you want to have more fun and want a true sim, play this way... all games have flaws, but if the core gameplay is solid, you should be able to play sim style to make it better, there have been online leagues like this for ages, where rules apply to the leagues to avoid people using exploits, there are no ways to enforce within the game, but if you get respectful true sim gamers, then your having a blast vs playing complete dickheads on live and your friends who dont care and just want to score 8 goals a game

I have been playing this way since FIFA 07 (the introduction of the engine) as the problems were glaringly evident even then.

I was only making a point :CONFUSE:

These are very good rules to use, and I normally play by most of them whenever I play.
That's probably why I concede quite a few goals when i'm defending, I never really double-pressure or sprint pressure much at all, I try to defend how real teams would (show players onto their weaker foot, block passing lanes etc.), but unfortunately on FIFA it seems to not matter what foot the player uses to pass the ball, and the player you put in the passing lane to intercept doesn't "lock on" and he watches the ball go right in front of his feet.

I know I keep saying it but PES5 made you defend that way, and if people against you online didn't (and just sprint-pressured) you could beat them easily.

I've become really bored of FIFA in 1v1 games, I still like BAP Clubs but that's the only thing I play on it any more (and that seems to be dying out now).

Anyone got the PES5 Xbox version? :P.

Last edited by a moderator:
those are great tips!
i tried it out yesterday and i had an absolut blast with it, feels like a new game :)
im really struggling with the manual shoot on the far camera though...i tried on dynamic and had more success but the game becomes too fast on that, so i think ill go back to the wide one and practice a little more...
if anyone is up for playing with this rules online please add me GT: brunnoce
the best thing i see on this rules are that u cant use the "knock ahead" move and also u cant use the automatic pressing(X+A) wich makes the game alot better and realistic imo.
Im playing with no X+A at all btw, so if anyone is up for it, add me.

Reading through those "rules" it's the way I've always played anyways pretty much, I also have certain other rules which are MM specific rather than gameplay such as not improving any of the coaching or fitness staff beyond default (2 and 3 for Sheffield Wednesday), only signing 2x loan players and 2x free transfer players per season.

Reading through those "rules" it's the way I've always played anyways pretty much, I also have certain other rules which are MM specific rather than gameplay such as not improving any of the coaching or fitness staff beyond default (2 and 3 for Sheffield Wednesday), only signing 2x loan players and 2x free transfer players per season.
i find these tips work best whilst playing another human.. the cpu still does the same thing over and over again on attack.. while a human will have to try different ways to pick your lock(so to speak)

those are great tips!
i tried it out yesterday and i had an absolut blast with it, feels like a new game :)
im really struggling with the manual shoot on the far camera though...i tried on dynamic and had more success but the game becomes too fast on that, so i think ill go back to the wide one and practice a little more...
if anyone is up for playing with this rules online please add me GT: brunnoce
the best thing i see on this rules are that u cant use the "knock ahead" move and also u cant use the automatic pressing(X+A) wich makes the game alot better and realistic imo.
Im playing with no X+A at all btw, so if anyone is up for it, add me.

vou te adicionar para jogarmos online, rapaz.

PS: boa sorte hoje na final, é cruzeiro na cabeça! :D

These are very good rules to use, and I normally play by most of them whenever I play.
That's probably why I concede quite a few goals when i'm defending, I never really double-pressure or sprint pressure much at all, I try to defend how real teams would (show players onto their weaker foot, block passing lanes etc.), but unfortunately on FIFA it seems to not matter what foot the player uses to pass the ball, and the player you put in the passing lane to intercept doesn't "lock on" and he watches the ball go right in front of his feet.

I know I keep saying it but PES5 made you defend that way, and if people against you online didn't (and just sprint-pressured) you could beat them easily.

I've become really bored of FIFA in 1v1 games, I still like BAP Clubs but that's the only thing I play on it any more (and that seems to be dying out now).

Anyone got the PES5 Xbox version? :P.

you´re right man, weak foot should have more impact in Fifa that it have today, almost make no difference excep sometimes for crossing, but not for passes and shots.

i have pes5 american version, we9 for xbox, i don´t know if we can play it online, i guess not :(

YouTube - FULL Manual: Man City Vs Aston Villa (Fifa09)

I know my players are super human lol

Next video will be with Exeter City

Blaccat your video shows me what is currently wrong with manual (and yes, I play manual and argue against assisted - im just making a point here). Too often on manual, the players (yourself in the video) simply aren't good enough to be able to pull off good manual passes at any other angle than 0 degrees straight in front of them. After playing against many manual players, the same thing becomes clear - so many people cant do proper manual diagonal or angled passes, and so their manual experience becomes about waiting for players' runs to intersect with their direct line of sight, and then passing it straight because manual makes THAT particular pass so easy to pull off.

I have no solution for this, its just an annoying trait of some manual players that I have found. They play manual for greater freedom, but end up limiting their passing even more.

In my experience, this problem is more evident with PS3 players, which leads me to believe that (as some have said) the analog sticks are too slack to play manual FIFA well. 360 players generally seem to be better players on manual.

I followed all this instructions for the first time, and the result is a better and more realistic gameplay, almost like a new game. Of course noe there are so many things to practice and improve, but thanks for that.

And just for curiosity, Isn't you that make the classic patch for WE6:FE?

I followed all this instructions for the first time, and the result is a better and more realistic gameplay, almost like a new game. Of course noe there are so many things to practice and improve, but thanks for that.

And just for curiosity, Isn't you that make the classic patch for WE6:FE?

yes, and one for WE10JL too... long time ago when WE was a good game... i was forced to retire since i change PS2 for a 360, not because of the console but because the (low)quality of newer PES.

Blaccat your video shows me what is currently wrong with manual (and yes, I play manual and argue against assisted - im just making a point here). Too often on manual, the players (yourself in the video) simply aren't good enough to be able to pull off good manual passes at any other angle than 0 degrees straight in front of them. After playing against many manual players, the same thing becomes clear - so many people cant do proper manual diagonal or angled passes, and so their manual experience becomes about waiting for players' runs to intersect with their direct line of sight, and then passing it straight because manual makes THAT particular pass so easy to pull off.

I have no solution for this, its just an annoying trait of some manual players that I have found. They play manual for greater freedom, but end up limiting their passing even more.

In my experience, this problem is more evident with PS3 players, which leads me to believe that (as some have said) the analog sticks are too slack to play manual FIFA well. 360 players generally seem to be better players on manual.
I really do not see ur point, off course diagonal passes are harder to pull especially if you use X like I most of the time, and way easier with triangle.

But I still make diagonal passes, through balls and shots

Diagonal assist pass
http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/6983393

If you use triangle you get more success, becaues the ball moves slower
http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/7056389
http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/7056389

diagonal goals
http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/6983669

I prefer using X because it's a natural habit

Sweet strike.

I started using broadcast camera, very interesting. I certainly like the view better than Tele overall.

But I can't seem to score long range goals but that will come am just a few game in.

Awesome games last night! Me and Stu v Joe and Rob using these rules. We lost 2 and drew the last one. Completely robbed by the ref in one and ridiculously unlucky in the others! Had a clearly onside goal disallowed. Joe & Rob made some incredible goal line clearances. And then get a dodgy penalty and score it! I can't believe I hit the bar twice. That first one where I cut back inside and you both went sliding past me was awesome :COOL:.

Awesome games last night! Me and Stu v Joe and Rob using these rules. We lost 2 and drew the last one. Completely robbed by the ref in one and ridiculously unlucky in the others! Had a clearly onside goal disallowed. Joe & Rob made some incredible goal line clearances. And then get a dodgy penalty and score it! I can't believe I hit the bar twice. That first one where I cut back inside and you both went sliding past me was awesome :COOL:.

we have to play with those rules someday mate.

:SMOKIN:

Back
Top Bottom