FIFA World Youth Championship

Milanista how is Nigeria doing?

Also are they showing the tournament live on Eurosport in Italy....they are doing stupid womens football over here!

Nigeria drew 0-0 with Brazil. Didnt catch the game, but i heard the Nigerian fans were the stars of the show. lol.

The USA victory over Argentina gave our U-20 team 2 vicotries over them in 3 months.

Lionel Messi of Argentina (Barca) is a sickness. That kid was carving up defense like a Thanksgiving turkey. He was simply sublime when he came on in the second half. Cant understand why he wasnt starting.

Does anyone have a video clip of the following:

- Adu's backheel flip-pass when he had 3 defenders around him?

- China's screaming goal from outside the box?

Stringer Bell said:
Milanista how is Nigeria doing?

Also are they showing the tournament live on Eurosport in Italy....they are doing stupid womens football over here!

Nigeria and Brazil were equal. We get all the games on SKY Italy.

OH MY GOD!!! That Dutch kid Quicny sumthin sumthin who plays for Arsenal is an absolute sickness.

I came across a 4 minute highlight clip of him vs Japan. he is like Arjen Robben and C.Ronaldo and Okocha on steroids. lol. You simply cannot believe what he is doingw with the ball at his feet.

I will try to dig it up for y'all. . .PK9 - you will wet yourself, my friend.

pls ghazi pls

lol i remember some game in the carling cup wheer he ran some team ragged

i think this is wot happens to u when u watch too much of thierry henry

parental advisory theirry henry in full flight is dangerous for the growing child lol

cant wait for the updates on that site

ghazi said:
OH MY GOD!!! That Dutch kid Quicny sumthin sumthin who plays for Arsenal is an absolute sickness.
Yea he did have some very good runs. One that resulted in an goal. He's one fast motha.

Fred_Gavioes said:
bobo from brazil is a disaster, how can he be in the national team??!?!

i think the best players werent called upp...really this team is a sahme for brazil.. tehy should call the U17 players..theyre much better...
Anderson(gremio, or maybe porto, benfica), Kerlon(cruzeiro) and others..

ghazi said:
Nigeria drew 0-0 with Brazil. Didnt catch the game, but i heard the Nigerian fans were the stars of the show. lol.

Thanks a lot mate, yeah i know what the Nigerian fans can be like :mrgreen:

I've atual been to a match in Nigeria back in 2003....the crowd was going on like a festival lol.

Also thanks for the links of the goals and everything :)

Milanista said:
Nigeria and Brazil were equal. We get all the games on SKY Italy.

Thanks for the info :)

=============================

Can't really believe i am missing this torunament :( ....over here in England, Eurosport are not showing it because at the moment they are doing womens football, which they are already showing coverage of on the BBC :roll:

SKY Sports ain't showing the tournament either :(

Last edited:
ohhhhhhhhhh shit just saw those quoincy vids pls arsene more prem games for quincy

damn the oranje in him is burning players lol

woah i think c ronaldo will have new competitor nxt season

silky and quick thats how u want ur wingers to be

castelan
quincy
van persie
robben
vander meyde --- the new crop of dutch wingers, cruiff and overmars would be proud

china seem to be doin well and scorin some great goals //// yeah stringer i agree wit u on europsort-- ffs its the youth world cup how can they not show the new crop of talent

Is it just me or is Adu not really taking on defenders anymore? Novak has changed him! Ah!

Wynne looks pretty solid.

Simmsm88 said:
Is it just me or is Adu not really taking on defenders anymore? Novak has changed him! Ah!

Wynne looks pretty solid.
wynne is going to be a stud, Adu is a playmaker, he deoent need to take on defenders, his passing and vision is immense

Rentalkid said:
Nothing against his talent, but he was piss poor yesterday.
ummm, thats not what i saw, not what the press wrote either, did you even watch the game, we dominated the match, and so did freddy

Yes, the whole game, and both teams weren't very convincing.
the US-boys were totally exhausted after 70 minutes, we could've secured a win then. They were better, but did only have about one real chance to score. No player was outstanding, and if I wouldn't have read his name on his jersey every now and then, guess I wouldn't even have noticed Adu.

pk9 said:
.....yeah stringer i agree wit u on europsort-- ffs its the youth world cup how can they not show the new crop of talent

Eurosport are usally known for showing these kind of Tounrments.....really pissed off they aern't showing it!!!!

pk9, do you live in London?

Freddy Adu is very talented and already one of the best players at the world youth championship. by the way he is still 16....but there are messi (barcelona) and owuso (arsenal) who are very talented,too.

Rentalkid said:
Yes, the whole game, and both teams weren't very convincing.
the US-boys were totally exhausted after 70 minutes, we could've secured a win then. They were better, but did only have about one real chance to score. No player was outstanding, and if I wouldn't have read his name on his jersey every now and then, guess I wouldn't even have noticed Adu.
not what i saw, not what the press has been writing, not at all.... he set up that chance, BTW should have been a PK.... on another note
i cant beleive this, can anyone confirm

NSCHEDE, Netherlands - Chants of U-S-A echoed through Enschede Stadium Tuesday as the United States battled to a nil-nil draw in its second game of the World Youth Championships. How wonderful, I thought - with its attractive style of play and pressing attack, the United States had gained control of the Dutch crowd.

Eddie Gaven had a potential penalty appeal turned down. (Eric Miller/GettyImages)
Then I took a moment and looked at who the Americans were playing: Germany.

OK, now I see one big reason why the Dutch fans were on our side.

An important thing to remember about the host country - when given a choice, the Dutch will ALWAYS root against the Germans. This is without exception.

To understand why the Dutch crowd was so supportive of the U.S., one needs to understand the three reasons the Dutch are mad at the Germans. (Incidentally - all of them stem back to a little incident called "World War II")

Basically, the Germans did three things to the Netherlands that still cause hard feelings.

They occupied them.

They took their bikes and melted them down to make tanks.

They never apologized for making tanks out of their bikes.

All joking aside, the support from the home crowd has been tremendous. Of the four teams in Group D, the United States has enjoyed the majority of support from the neutral fans.

"At the game last night we had the local fans on our side. I didn't notice it too much until the end of the first half," said Eddie Gaven. "We started getting some chances and they all started to chant (U-S-A)."

"I actually looked up in the crowd and they were doing the wave - and they were all chanting for us. It helped us - there was so much energy in the stadium. I think we fed off that."

With the crowd urging the United States, a goal seemed inevitable. Eddie Gaven almost had one off a beautiful set up from Freddy Adu, but his initial shot was saved. Scrambling for the rebound, the referee swallowed his whistle when Gaven was taken down from behind in the box. ("Taken down" may be too light a term - "absolutely butchered" may fit better.)

Enschede is located a mere 80 kilometers away from the German border, so some of the players expected a hostile crowd. However, with the Americans being spurred on by the crowd of its adopted home city, the atmosphere was almost that of a home game.

"I think the crowd in Enschede has been absolutely amazing with us," said goalkeeper Quentin Westberg, who has yet to allow a goal this tournament. "(The local fans) have cheered all the time and it looks like they really enjoy our game. I think we are their favorites here."

The support from the city has not gone unreciprocated - for its part, Enschede has won over many of the U.S. players. The team hotel is just five minutes walk from the train station and is adjacent to the city's quaint shopping district.

"It's not so big that you get lost in it and there are definitely some U.S. places. There's a Burger King for after the game," Gaven said.

But in order to stay in Enschede for the second round the United State must win the group. After two go-arounds, the Group D standings favor the Americans, who with four points are tied for the group lead with Germany. However, Germany faces Argentina while the United States gets Egypt, giving the Stars and Stripes the inside track at coming out on top of the group of death.

The United States will have three days to prepare for Egypt, which is at the bottom of the group after 2-0 losses to Germany and Argentina. But despite the lack of success, the young Pharaohs gave a challenge in both games before eventually fading in the second half. Egypt has a couple of good weapons, including star number 10 Mahmoud Abdelrazek. It should be a hotly contested game, as Egypt must win by a large margin to have any chance of advancing and the United States must win to have another chance to play in front of its surrogate home crowd.

"We definitely want to stay as long as possible here. It was pretty amazing to have all these Dutch people chanting U-S-A," said Westberg. "It doesn't happen that often, especially in Europe. A little recognition for U.S. Soccer is always welcome."

Other notes from the game

Regarding fan support: it's completely surprising to see how many players' parents and families have come to the Netherlands. They are out in force - dressing up, leading the cheers, and yelling at the referee when their son gets fouled. It's definitely an impressive sight and lends a nostalgic, youth match feel to the tournament.

The entire starting lineup for Germany plays in the Bundesliga. But according to U.S. coach Sigi Schmid, despite the big club names attached to some of the German players, many of them are about third-level talent-wise - a level of competition he compares to elite U.S. college teams.

The Germans are big. Really big. They didn't have a player smaller than 1.80 meter (about 5-foot-11). Many of the U.S. players, like Freddy Adu and his substitute Lee Nguyen, had absolutely no chance to win a challenge against them. And like a boxer who works the body, the size of the German side took a toll in the end - in the last 20 minutes, the United States had nothing left in the tank.

German star Michael Delura (Schalke 04) ran through, around, and through the vast majority of the United States team in the latter stages of the second half.

Defender Jonathan Spector (Manchester United) didn't play today, still suffering from the after effects of a hip/thigh contusion suffered against Argentina. But in his stead, Nathan Sturgis (Clemson) was strong and Patrick Ianni (UCLA) controlled the air space.

Back
Top Bottom