FIFA World Player of the Year

Who will win FIFA World Player of The Year?

• Thierry Henry

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Andriy Shevchenko

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Ronaldinho

Votes: 38 56.7%

• Total voters
Disqo said:
...as for Henry great great talent but is an anomaly of epic proportions can tear apart leeds by himself but cant do a dam thing against world class teams in major comps...

Inter Milan 1-5 Arsenal
'25 Henry
'81 Henry

Ronaldinho is still just 24, IMO he is the most in-form player in the world at the moment, but this award is for the best player of 2004 overall. I think he could be a multiple winner in years to come.

It has to be between Titi and Sheva. Both have had to face ridiculously unfair criticism over the years, I hope Henners wins it after coming so close last year but Shevchenko is perhaps the best 'target-man' striker of our generation. Both equally deserved, perhaps Henry's appearance at Euro 04 will be the deciding factor? (Sheva was probably on the beach in Portugal)

A ridiculous poll, based on marketing. Created for 13 year old boys with a Beckham poster on their wall (nothing wrong with that, but not my style).

Joystick said:
Inter Milan 1-5 Arsenal
'25 Henry
'81 Henry

Ronaldinho is still just 24, IMO he is the most in-form player in the world at the moment, but this award is for the best player of 2004 overall. I think he could be a multiple winner in years to come.

It has to be between Titi and Sheva. Both have had to face ridiculously unfair criticism over the years, I hope Henners wins it after coming so close last year but Shevchenko is perhaps the best 'target-man' striker of our generation. Both equally deserved, perhaps Henry's appearance at Euro 04 will be the deciding factor? (Sheva was probably on the beach in Portugal)
whats your point about Inter Milan Arsenal, see champions league qtr final vs chelsea, henry being SUBBED off....., or how about all of the sitters he missed in euro 2004.... open headers, i counted three of them

csaunders said:
whats your point about Inter Milan Arsenal, see champions league qtr final vs chelsea, henry being SUBBED off....., or how about all of the sitters he missed in euro 2004.... open headers, i counted three of them

My point is he ran the game and made Inter's world class defence, comprised of Marco Materazzi, Ivan Cordoba, Javier Zanetti AND Fabio Canavarro look like school boys. His second was vintage Henry and seems to have been casually forgotten by everyone outside London.

Henry's vs Man U at Highbury was a bit peachy too...

As for the Chelsea game, he was carrying a knock, but im not going to descend into technicalities. My point is not that Henry is the best big game player who will always without fail produce, but to say he bottles it EVERY TIME a big game comes around is a vastly unjust criticism. Look at Liverpool at Highbury just after Chelsea, we quite simply would not have won without him.

Disqo said:
...as for Henry great great talent but is an anomaly of epic proportions can tear apart leeds by himself but cant do a dam thing against world class teams in major comps...

I think I'm correct in saying that Henry is the 3rd highest goalscorer in Champions League history. I'd say that was a pretty 'major comp' personally. He also scored twice in Euro 2004 and won the match winning penalty against England, plus he scored 6 times in 7 Euro 2004 qualifying games, as well as scoring 3 times at Euro 2000.

The fact is that non of the 3 players did anything particularly amazing on the International scene last year, so if it comes down to club form then I'd give it to Henry based on just how superb he was last year in the Premiership. 30 goals, god knows how many assists and helped his team go the whole season unbeaten.

Stu-Pid said:
I think I'm correct in saying that Henry is the 3rd highest goalscorer in Champions League history. I'd say that was a pretty 'major comp' personally. He also scored twice in Euro 2004 and won the match winning penalty against England, plus he scored 6 times in 7 Euro 2004 qualifying games, as well as scoring 3 times at Euro 2000.

The fact is that non of the 3 players did anything particularly amazing on the International scene last year, so if it comes down to club form then I'd give it to Henry based on just how superb he was last year in the Premiership. 30 goals, god knows how many assists and helped his team go the whole season unbeaten.
Well Henry had a star packed France which gave him no excuse to not scoring many goals. Passes from players like Pires, Zidane, VIeira etc. Ronaldinho the same.

Shevchenko on the other hand leads Ukraine as the team captain and the team star.... hes already the team's top scorer without the passes and setups from world stars behind him.

Joystick said:

He's third actually ;) Click on the 1987-2005 option in the menu.

Name / Club / Knock-out / League / Total

Raúl / Real Madrid / 11 / 38 / 49
Ruud van Nistelrooij / Manchester United, PSV / 4 / 38 / 42
Thierry Henry / Arsenal, Monaco / 4 / 30 / 34
Alessandro Del Piero / Juventus / 8 / 24 / 32
Andrii Shevchenko / Milan, Dynamo Kyiv / 10 / 21 / 31
Filippo Inzaghi / Milan, Juventus / 9 / 21 / 30
Patrick Kluivert / Barcelona, Ajax Amsterdam / 4 / 25 / 29
Fernando Morientes / Monaco, Real Madrid / 8 / 18 / 26
Giovane Elber / Olympique Lyonnais, Bayern München / 6 / 19 / 25
Mario Jardel / Galatasaray, Porto / 3 / 22 / 25

Last edited:
Joystick said:
My point is he ran the game and made Inter's world class defence, comprised of Marco Materazzi, Ivan Cordoba, Javier Zanetti AND Fabio Canavarro look .

Cannavaro actually went out of the game injured halfway through the game, when the score was still 1-1.

Anyway the FIFA awards are pure horseshit. The Balon d'or is the real prize.

cregser said:
He's third actually ;) Click on the 1987-2005 option in the menu.

Name / Club / Knock-out / League / Total

Raúl / Real Madrid / 11 / 38 / 49
Ruud van Nistelrooij / Manchester United, PSV / 4 / 38 / 42
Thierry Henry / Arsenal, Monaco / 4 / 30 / 34
Alessandro Del Piero / Juventus / 8 / 24 / 32
Andrii Shevchenko / Milan, Dynamo Kyiv / 10 / 21 / 31
Filippo Inzaghi / Milan, Juventus / 9 / 21 / 30
Patrick Kluivert / Barcelona, Ajax Amsterdam / 4 / 25 / 29
Fernando Morientes / Monaco, Real Madrid / 8 / 18 / 26
Giovane Elber / Olympique Lyonnais, Bayern München / 6 / 19 / 25
Mario Jardel / Galatasaray, Porto / 3 / 22 / 25

Raúl Real Madrid 11 38 49
Ruud van Nistelrooij Manchester United, PSV 4 38 3 45
Andrii Shevchenko Milan, Dynamo Kyiv 10 21 10 41
Thierry Henry Arsenal, Monaco 4 30 34
Filippo Inzaghi Milan, Juventus 9 21 2 32

i have him as fourth, but the point remains he seems to go unoticed in big games....

csaunders said:
Raúl Real Madrid 11 38 49
Ruud van Nistelrooij Manchester United, PSV 4 38 3 45
Andrii Shevchenko Milan, Dynamo Kyiv 10 21 10 41
Thierry Henry Arsenal, Monaco 4 30 34
Filippo Inzaghi Milan, Juventus 9 21 2 32

i have him as fourth, but the point remains he seems to go unoticed in big games....

Ruuds record is the best though as he has done his in as many games compared to Rauls 49 in 96 games.

Saying that of the top four only Ruud and Henry are without a CL medal, but Ruud has played in a semi-final.

Well the list should have been Deco/Ricardo Carvalho - Zagorakis - Vicente.
But, if Ronaldinho, Shevshenko and Henry are nominated why not Van Nistelrooy.

And about Henry (and yes he is a great player) what did he win???? He was in France 98 and 2000 squad but he was far from important. Did he won something (international) with his club??? No.
Sorry internationally still has to prove himself.

One should never give individual awards in a team sport....who knows if Jorge Costa wasn't much more important for Porto than Deco???? It's all too commercial.

Joystick said:
Inter Milan 1-5 Arsenal
'25 Henry
'81 Henry

If u use Arsenal vs Inter as an example to support Henry, I think u should post that in the last year, NOT this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
gerd said:
But, if Ronaldinho, Shevshenko and Henry are nominated why not Van Nistelrooy.

RVN isn't on there because Man Utd didn't set the world on fire in Europe, and in the Premier League Henry scored 50% more goals. Add to that the fact that Henry had probably 5 times more assists and Arsenal won the league by a mile and it's pretty obvious why Henry is above RVN.

gerd said:
And about Henry (and yes he is a great player) what did he win???? He was in France 98 and 2000 squad but he was far from important.

Actually he was France's top scorer in Euro 2000. Not that important though...

Joystick said:
Inter Milan 1-5 Arsenal
'25 Henry
'81 Henry

LOL!
Titi and Henners have got to be the best nicknames i've ever heard.

Stu-Pid said:
RVN isn't on there because Man Utd didn't set the world on fire in Europe, and in the Premier League Henry scored 50% more goals. Add to that the fact that Henry had probably 5 times more assists and Arsenal won the league by a mile and it's pretty obvious why Henry is above RVN.

Actually he was France's top scorer in Euro 2000. Not that important though...

yeah but your forgetting euro 2004, ruud had 4 goals, second in the competetion, and they were all important goals, esepcially that sick one vs germany...

csaunders said:
yeah but your forgetting euro 2004, ruud had 4 goals, second in the competetion, and they were all important goals, esepcially that sick one vs germany...

Yeah but Ruud is not in the running for the award so its irrelevant.

Butatista, the point just was that the three nominated players (although great players) don't deserve to be nominated. Or rather: there are other players who would deserve more to be nominated.

Deco
Ronaldinho
Shevchenko
Henry
one of the these will win it!~

Platini said that Deco should win the Ballon d'or, cause it's titles won by a player that count. Deco this had the champions league and Portuguese league.! Best player in both competitions!
beside being fundamental in barça's play!
I agree with him.

HENRY is complete...he has everything an attaquant should have...
a killer faster player and an awesome shooter,Henry deserves it ,but he will not get it ,why cause he don t score in national team...that s too bad ..
ronaldhino certainly not (he is not enoughly constant)
deco ,yes cause he is good
shev ,yes but i think he is not constant too..
Adriano should be in the final list,my list
1 henry
2 adriano
3 shev
4 deco

and yes im french lol

Back
Top Bottom