1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

FIFA World Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Football' started by Clockender, 29 November 2004.

Who will win FIFA World Player of The Year?

1. Thierry Henry

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Andriy Shevchenko

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Ronaldinho

38 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Clockender

Clockender is back...but for how long?

27 November 2001
    East Lower, Block 13
    Arsenal FC
    FIFA have announced the 3 short-listed players for World Player of the Year 2004. Whos gonna win it?

2. Vannizzlefashizzal

Vannizzlefashizzal TWENTYTIMES!!!!

31 October 2002
    Its gotta be Ronaldinho, and by a long shot IMO, the guy is awesome, he performs at all levels, for Barca in La Ligue and The Champs League, also for Brazil, he cant be faulted.

3. stiffler

stiffler member since nov 2001

20 November 2001
    Cymru
    have to agree, ronaldinho easily deserves this
    every time i see the guy play he is awesome

4. joostebrood

joostebrood Premiership

4 March 2002
    Where is Barry van Galen?

5. knh4

knh4 Championship

21 October 2002
    Bradford
    Man Utd
    Ronaldinho has been awesome but what has Barca won in that time? Even as a Man Utd supporter id rather give it to Henry as he played a major part in Arsenals success and their tremendous record run.

6. stiffler

stiffler member since nov 2001

20 November 2001
    Cymru
    he may not have won anything with barca (YET!) but he has been a major factor in turning one of the biggest clubs in the world back to the top of spain and indeed europe

7. H@$$@N

H@$$@N Guest

1- Ronaldinho , by miles away...

2- Shva

3- Henry

8. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Ronnie
    Sheva
    Henry

Shevchenko has been carrying Milan on his back for the last few years. Hes been constantly scoring.

9. airjoca

airjoca International

29 July 2003
    Amadora, Portugal
    SL Benfica
    Ronaldinho for sure. 2nd should be Deco, but he lacks the commercial appeal i guess....

10. Vannizzlefashizzal

Vannizzlefashizzal TWENTYTIMES!!!!

31 October 2002
    yeah henry deserves credit for his part in arsenals run last year, but other than that what else, not much, Ronaldinho does it on any stage, the match against Real recently is a great example, compare that to henry who puts more effort into pouting and moaning than anything else, he was AWOL at OT, AWOL at Anfield and thats without bringing up his woeful performances for France and in The CL.

Sheva is just sheer class, unfourtunatley him playing for Ukraine holds him back from the World Stage IMO but his record for Milan and in The CL speaks for itself.

11. Glavisted

Glavisted Guest

I read suddenly Andriy Shevchenko is the favourite for the prize over Ronaldinho and Thierry Henry.

12. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    On the newspaper Adriano and Deco said that Shevchenko deserved it. Adriano said "I still have time. Now its Sheva's time."

13. Kenny M

Kenny M Guest

definately ronaldinho.

14. mathewsss

mathewsss Champions League

24 December 2002
    California, USA
    Liverpool FC
    Sheva' for being the superb player he has been for the last 5 years or so.
    Ronaldinho will probably get it next year if Barca win La Liga or the CL.
    Henry is a great player, but it's Sheva's time for recognition.

15. biggertam

biggertam Winning means Everything

17 January 2003
    Dumbarton -Scotland
    Celtic
    1- Ronaldinho
    2- Shevchenko
    3- Henry

16. joostebrood

joostebrood Premiership

4 March 2002
    Barry van Galen
    Martin Drent
    Hans vd Haar

They have all been very consistent.

17. ThomasGOAL

ThomasGOAL Retired Footballer

15 March 2003
    France
    Henry or Ronaldinho, please No Sheva

Henry is better than Sheva, more complete player, maybe Sheva are more regular
    and Ronaldinho is a magical player

18. Fred_Gavioes

Fred_Gavioes Brazilian showman

19 February 2003
    Lowell/Massachusetts/USA
    CORINTHIANS and BRASIL
    even though im brazilian, i hope sheva wins, for everything he has done for milan, truly, ronaldinho did amazing things last year, but we gotta give this one to sheva, ronaldinho will have another opportunities, i think :)

19. knh4

knh4 Championship

21 October 2002
    Bradford
    Man Utd
    It puzzles me but why isnt Deco among the top three? You would think winning the Champs League and reaching the final of the Euro Cup would be enough!

20. codex

codex Guest

Ronnie, simply amazing player . He deserved it this year for his success in barca.

21. footieBalla

footieBalla Guest

nothing against henry, but 1) ronnie 2) sheva 3) henry

-fb

22. lucasetor

lucasetor Conference

12 June 2003
    Saint Peter, MN
    Certainly Henry, he was magic in the league run (whole season unbeaten) did appreciably w ll in the Champs league also, and scored two goals on a crappy French team at the Euros. I agree all 3 carried their teams, but Ronaldinho didnt play on the Copa (through no fault of his) and Sheva couldnt grace the Euros. Barca were naught in the Champs league and AC Milan did no better than Arsenal.

23. Professor Nutmeg

Professor Nutmeg ML Fanatic

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Frank Lampard
    John Terry

24. metal jason

metal jason Guest

Henry doesnt deserve to win in this year. He might be good in EPL, but he just played decent in national team and in CL.

Personally, I prefer Sheva, but Ronaldini is really a big big threat to win also. He's great!!

25. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    I'd like Sheva to win but its most likely gonna be Ronaldinho. Henry deserved it last year but this year its a no from me.

26. Sabac Red

Sabac Red Premiership

22 November 2002
    Ronaldinho all the way, maybe Henry can take the Euro version. I agree on Deco why isn't he there?

27. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    Three great players, but none deserve to win it....FIFA wants stars to win it.
    Where is the logic??? Two years ago Ronaldo won it, he played 7 good matches in a whole season but those seven matches were in the WC which he won with his club...so definitely winners were more important than players who were consistent throughout the season...

So the list should be: Deco (or Maniche or Ricardo Carvalho) - Zagorakis - Vicente.
    The best players of last season's great winners: Porto - Valencia and Greece. Since Portugal also played the final of the EC, it should be a Portugese player of Porto (Deco, Maniche or Ricardo Carvalho and why not a defender for once...).

I'm not quite sure about ROnaldinho. Did Brazil won the South American cup for national teams against Argentina???? In that case Ronaldinho should be nominated but it still should be either Deco, Maniche or Ricardo Carvalho.

But Henry, SHeva and Ronaldinho are world stars...it's all about "advertising value".

Maybe Ronaldinho

28. newLok

newLok League 2

8 July 2003
    i think shevchenko shud win...
    ronaldinho has been great but he hasnt won anything yet. where as shev as won the league
    (and performs well in champions league)
    henry may hav won EPL, but under performs in other competitions

29. Disqo

Disqo Championship

25 June 2002
    Gerd you are 100% percent right, why does fifa not give the award to players who deserve it, I mean the whole world knows the short list should be 1. deco 2. zagorakis 3. carvalho. But all fifa care about much like their games is name branding.

Out fo the 3 it should be sheva, the guy is consistency personified, Ronnie did alot to bring barca back to where they are now, as for Henry great great talent but is an anomaly of epic proportions can tear apart leeds by himself but cant do a dam thing against world class teams in majort comps, but fifa being fifa, dont be surprised if Henry wins it

BTW when is the ballon d' or announced

30. Disqo

Disqo Championship

25 June 2002
    Gerd you are 100% percent right, why does fifa not give the award to players who deserve it, I mean the whole world knows the short list should be 1. deco 2. zagorakis 3. carvalho. But all fifa care about much like their games is name branding.

Out fo the 3 it should be sheva, the guy is consistency personified, Ronnie did alot to bring barca back to where they are now, as for Henry great great talent but is an anomaly of epic proportions can tear apart leeds by himself but cant do a dam thing against world class teams in major comps, but fifa being fifa, dont be surprised if Henry wins it

BTW when is the ballon d' or announced