FIFA World Cup Brasil 2014

gabe.paul.logan

Retired Footballer
7 January 2007
Budapest
Hungary
This week the qualifying will start for the World Cup Brazil 2014! Feel free to discuss about anything regarding the topic or post videos, pictures, etc.

adidas-brazuca-match-ball-world-cup.jpg

THE QUALFY STAGE

GROUP STANDINGS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIFA WORLD CUP 2014

1497551_560470547368490_785987597_n.jpg

guys, maybe this will help someone.. it´s in Slovak, but i guess it doesn´t matter realy.. the time of the matches is set for Central European Time (CET)

EyTFQCy.png

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Re: Road to the World Cup Brazil 2014

Don't believe Serbia can finish ahead of Croatia or Belgium, we have young, unexperienced squad, and we lack in quality compared with teams mentioned. So maybe, Russia 2018?

Moroccan NT have a new team every game but there is always hope.

Moroccan fans are really fed up about Gerets coaching and all the mess that the federation caused I just hope we can build a team for the future.

The players are great they're combative but we need a solid game system.

Don't believe Serbia can finish ahead of Croatia or Belgium, we have young, unexperienced squad, and we lack in quality compared with teams mentioned. So maybe, Russia 2018?
You have to believe in the team despite not for that, I am sure that Serbia, even in this format is capable to fight even Croatia and Belgium. But if you have not, then in 2018 necessarily waiting for you. :D

Our first games will be against Andorra and against Holland...

with 4 points i would be delighted...big time, just hope that we can pull off a good start against Andorra and hope again that the dutch team still too fresh to play very well.

On paper our national team must be among the best in the world with players like Courtois, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Defour, Fellaini, Witsel, Dembele, Hazard, Mertens and others...but they seem incapable to deliver when it really matters. It's not an hopeless case for Serbia.

On paper our national team must be among the best in the world with players like Courtois, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Defour, Fellaini, Witsel, Dembele, Hazard, Mertens and others...but they seem incapable to deliver when it really matters. It's not an hopeless case for Serbia.
I got a feeling you're going to beat us comfortably tomorrow night. We got several players missing and despite the fact Bale, Ramsey and Allen are fit to play, we're in poor form at the moment, especially after the debacle that was the Bosnia game. I'm starting to dread this campaign before a ball has even been kicked. When the groups were announced, we were on a run and Gary Speed was still with us, we had a team playing rather well, we avoided the "big guns", and even though its still a difficult group our chances of qualification were better than say, being in a group with Spain, Germany or *shudder* the Saes.

But sadly since Gary's untimately death it's all unravelling fast.

I'm not blaming Chris Coleman and I know the job is a hard act for him to have to fill the boots of an old friend who is sadly no longer with us, but results of late have been poor, some of the attitudes of the players in friendlies have been poor (lazy, unmotivated), injuries have mounted up and the fan support is dwindling, partly because of the ever-shit FAW marketing department (on £6.40 an hour minimum wage!), and partly due to the stupid Swansea-"RedFranchiseScum" rivalry who won't let their club loyalites be cast aside in order to back the national team. I must be one of the small proportion of Jacks who follows the national team. Anyway, Welsh goalkeeping legend Neville Southall has spoken out and had a right go at fickle fans and the FAW, about time someone spoke out!

Belgium have some really good players that we must look out for tomorrow. Heart says it'll be a repeat of the Switzerland performance last year, head says we'll lose 2-0 with another insipid display. :CONFUSE:

Last edited:

You know something strange about the FIFA ranking in that group?
Croatia, Serbia,Scotlmand and Wales are all higher ranked than Belgium.

I can see a couple of resons why Wales could win that match.

Your Best player is Bale. Our weakest position is RB.
In the past our national team was mentally weak. They just won a friendly against Holland 4-2. There is a huge rivalry with Holland (only from our side, the Dutch see us as minnows). Winning against Holland is huge in Belgian, it was as if we had won the WC. I'm afraid players will not be concentrated.
Our coaches consider Fellaini our most important player, at times he is careless in his play and very sloppish. Fellaini also already said that he considers Belgium among the favourites to win the WC in Brazil...he oversees the small matter of concentration.

Looking further than his (very important match). The next match is against Croatia, which IMO is the best team in the group. I predict 1 point out of 6 after those matches (a home draw against Croatia). Then the mood will have changed completely: all doom and gloom. It could well be that this Belgian generation will be a light version of the Danish dynamite of the late 80's (Olsen, Elkjaer Larsen, Laudrup, Simonsen and loads of other talented players). That team never won silverware and were a joy to watch. At least they qualified for big tournaments, the current Belgian still has to do that.

I'm not very optimistic...

We went into the draw as bottom seeds because of some mistake in the FIFA Ranking spotted by an eagle-eyed geek, who informed them that the Faroe Islands should have had something like a 0.00000001 higher coefficient than us. In the end it kind of worked in our favour because the Faroes got paired with the Germans, plus something like a long trip to Kazakhstan which is far from ideal for preparation.

Seems as if the pair of us are less than optimistic about our chances.

0-0 draw tonight then? :P

There will be a winner.
And somehow i thinkwe should be able to win against Wales.
But Wales as always been a tough team for our national team (i remember Dean Saounders tearing us apart a couple of times) and of all the Brittish team, Wales is the one i prefer...

There are a few Wesh players among my alltime favourites: Dean Saunders, Gary Speed, Gareth Bale and above all Ryan Giggs. Currently Joe Allen (the guy who went from Swansea to Liverpool). And of course Swansea are fantastic, they should be everybody'second favourite team. If i would live nearby, i wouldn't miss a single one of their home matches...great football.
I wouldn't mind two defeats against Wales if we would win all our other matches. But we won't...

Let's hope it's good match.

Last edited:

Yeah Lampard, Gerrard and Cleverley, but no Allen in the lineup.

...:P

Eh?

James Collins sent off as well, for a tackle that was definitely a yellow, but a red was over the top, he went for the ball in a 50-50 and caught the guy on the ankle but no way was that a sending off. Fellaini's tackle on Ramsey was bad moments earlier and didn't even get a booking.

Stupid Swedish ref! :RANT:

Last edited:

Just winding you up, suggesting Allen is English, but funnily enough I've seen a few people tonight asking what Cleverley has done to deserve a place in the England squad and not Allen, classic ignorant football fans.

Anyway, England beating Moldova 3-0 tonight with the usual suspects of Lampard, Gerrard & Terry. All is well, we're going to win the World Cup etc etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish Roy would just play a young team, a team that can progress and grow throughout the qualifiers and then in the World Cup, we won't win the thing, but we'd have at the very least put us in a better position for following tournaments. But I can't see it happening, it'll be the same old England, the same England I've not enjoyed watching for probably 10 years now.

Well the 10 men couldn't survive the onslaught much longer. Belgium score. This is going to be a very long night. Thanks a lot Stefan Johannesson, ruined what was shaping up to be a decent game of football. Chris Coleman has been going mad at the UEFA touchline sentinel, looking at his face and antics you'd swear he'd go and punch the bald fucker in the face.

He's on par with Alain Rolland (biased anti-Cambrian Franco-Irish rugby referee)

Last edited:

Man of the match in Hannover so far for me(after the first half): Gunnar Nielsen, GK of the Faroe Islands. Brilliant performance, held some amazing balls and had no chance against Götze's strike. Definitely the guy that helped the team to be only down by 0-1 so far. I am no more surprised, why he is in City's squad.

okay, less than one hour for Cavani vs Falcao clash. a must-win game for Colombia, if they don't really want to cry for the missing one or two points that could lead them to world cup in the end as happened in their last three attempts. Uruguay is the toughest of the opponents, though.

edit: WTF, Falcao scores yet again! with only three minutes on the clock!

Last edited:

Falcao is borderline unplayable at the moment.

Macedonia played very well against Croatia in Zagreb today, I tought we didn't deserve to lose. Pandev played fantastic, had a rocket of a shot that hit the bar and also Sikov saw his header being cleared off the line. Apart from a shot from Eduardo that hit the post in the first minute they didn't had any big chances. One slip-up from Noveski at the back and we concede. :(

I'm positive though because we showed we can play well.:)

Belgium win 2-0, as I had predicted, but I didn't expect that result to come in that manner. They deserve their win for having more of the possession and were quite good on some set-pieces, but I think I've also seen the most biased refereeing performance ever.

I don't know if Stefan Johannesson will get out of Wales safely tonight, I'm sure Cookie Coleman would have something very angry to say in his shell-like, that was truly shocking. He may as well have had a black kit on. I don't know about your opinion of the game gerd and/or any other Rode Duivels (sp?) followers here but I'd be quite embarassed if we've have beaten you 2-0 with that sort of assistance from the referee. Every time there was a 50-50 challenge or some minor niggle, Belgium got a free kick. Any bad foul by Belgium was getting unpunished, Fellaini was lucky not to get booked, Gillet did a tackle on Bale that was far worse than what Collins did on him (for the red card), and only got booked.

The game had potential to be a good match, but after we got reduced to 10 men it totally ended it as a spectacle. Shame Bale's free kick didn't go in, Courtois made a superb save to be fair.

Feeling hard done by doesn't come close to how I feel about that. And I thought Anders Frisk was the worst Swedish ref ever, well he's lost that "accolade".

Last edited:

We certainly couldn't complain from the ref. Vertonghen's goal came from a foul that never was a foul. Ramsey did nothing wrong.
About the red card: James Collins uncle was in the Belgian television studio: he agreed that it was a tackle that deserved a straight red, like all the Belgian pundits. I think this is a cultural difference: most Brittish people will think it was a yellow at worst, most continental people will think it was a straight red.
This said: Gillet could have a red too and Kompany could have conceded a penalty...we were definitely advantaged by the ref.
Our team didn't play a good match against a very poor Welsh team. Against defensive teams we can't make goals in open play...and once again Hazard was underachieving. But we won the fist match, this is the first time in 5 qualification campaigns and the pressure on the players was immense...

I didn't realise outside of the UK that kind of tackle is seriously frowned upon, in the Premier League it would have been a yellow card without a doubt. But for me Gillet was also diving in for the same ball in the same manner, had he caught Collins on the ankle, would he have walked? Based on this referee's performance I seriously do not think so. Belgium got away with murder to coin a term, no disrespect to them but in all honesty if one of our players would have just pulled a funny face at a Belgian player tonight the referee would have given them a free kick. Glad to know you agree with some of the (many) decisions that went your way, Kompany's shove on Church, the accidental tangle of legs from Ramsey which led to the FK for 2-0, also Fellaini should have been booked for a cynical foul on Ramsey and went in with his usual style for 50-50 balls, and wasn't penalised.

We weren't good but it was a better performance than the Bosnia game, plus we had several players missing. I think if we'd have had 11 men and a far better referee, we'd have given Belgium more of a match. Hazard was very ordinary, and Witsel is nowhere near a fraction of his £32m transfer fee, he was very wasteful and seemed to try for the spectacular and failed miserably.

Serbia for our next game, stuff of nightmares. 2003, 1-0 down, Earnshaw rounds the keeper, aims for goal, thinks he's equalised. Gets cleared off the line, we lose and then end up missing out on Euro 2004. In a parallel universe, we might just win this next game and turn everything around and then qualify! Or not.

Uruguay simply look toothless without Suarez. No creativity, no quality in their attacks.

know it's too early to say but they may well be one of the dark horses of the finals if they can make it there.

wow they just slaughtered the Copa winner :CONFUSE:

side note: we won 5-0 against Andorra with the worst play ever

I didn't realise outside of the UK that kind of tackle is seriously frowned upon, in the Premier League it would have been a yellow card without a doubt. But for me Gillet was also diving in for the same ball in the same manner, had he caught Collins on the ankle, would he have walked? Based on this referee's performance I seriously do not think so. Belgium got away with murder to coin a term, no disrespect to them but in all honesty if one of our players would have just pulled a funny face at a Belgian player tonight the referee would have given them a free kick. Glad to know you agree with some of the (many) decisions that went your way, Kompany's shove on Church, the accidental tangle of legs from Ramsey which led to the FK for 2-0, also Fellaini should have been booked for a cynical foul on Ramsey and went in with his usual style for 50-50 balls, and wasn't penalised.

We weren't good but it was a better performance than the Bosnia game, plus we had several players missing. I think if we'd have had 11 men and a far better referee, we'd have given Belgium more of a match. Hazard was very ordinary, and Witsel is nowhere near a fraction of his £32m transfer fee, he was very wasteful and seemed to try for the spectacular and failed miserably.

Serbia for our next game, stuff of nightmares. 2003, 1-0 down, Earnshaw rounds the keeper, aims for goal, thinks he's equalised. Gets cleared off the line, we lose and then end up missing out on Euro 2004. In a parallel universe, we might just win this next game and turn everything around and then qualify! Or not.

You clearly saw another game. I saw a Welsh team who never even tried to win the game.
The ref disadvantaged Wales throughout the match, but do you seriously think that Collins' sending off was an advantage? I don't think so.
And most of all: Witsel was by far the best man on the pitch. Not that this was a good performance by our team, but usually it's the other way round, we play well but loose.
After the match our players said themselves that they didn't play well but they said they were impressed with Wales and that few other teams will win in Wales. You already know i like Wales and i want them do good, but IMO this was a very ordinary team with only two decent players: Ramsey and Bale (and both of them did not play well).

PS: IMO Gillet did not dive at all, i think he had genuinely pain, IMO that was an attrocious tackle. The (Belgian) pundits were all former red devils of the 1986 golden generation (semi-finals WC) and they all agreed that it was a very dark red card. One even said literally: that is not one red card, but 37... But like i laready said, it's a cultural thing. Good luck to Wales against Serbia!

I wasn't watching a different game, sorry, but had that red card incident never occured we wouldn't have been spending an hour sitting back, because it was clear we were also playing against the biased referee as well. I know James Collins is a bit of a liability at times but if he'd have been on the pitch his presence at the back would have prevented Kompany having a lot more room to open the scoring with his header.

I didn't say Gillet dived as in dived on the floor after the tackle, he dived in for the ball to win it just like Collins did in a 50-50 situation, or a "hospital ball" as we often call it here because of the likelihood of someone potentially getting hurt. For me Gillet went for the ball as much as Collins did, only he got hurt from it. In the Premier League, or League 2, SPL, Welsh Premier or the Swansea and District Sunday Pub League, it would have been a stick-on yellow card. I'm sure football is a contact sport, or it was last time I checked. But besides that incident, everything else conspired against us from the referee. Also I was comparing our performance to last month's friendly against Bosnia, which was so appallingly bad that even Llanelli FC (whose ground we played on that night) would have beaten us.

I'm fearing the worst against Serbia after this.

P.S. just seen a number of Belgians register on some Welsh football forums and they're telling us we were hard done by.

Last edited:

You were certainly hard done by. There is no doubt about that. But yesterday's team just wasn't good enough (and i realize you had a lot of injuries).
Don't underestimate the blow the suicide of Speed was for the team. They were doing very well with him.
Yesterday Belgium had the luck they lacked in the previous campaign...
Oh and i misunderstood you about Gillet-Collins. I kind of agree with you, maybe Collins was unlucky but most continental football fans or referees would agree with the red card. It just seems as if Brittish team refuse to adjust to continental referees (and here i'm onlu referring to this one incident, not to the rest of the match where that referee disadvantaged Wales).

Anyway: good luck to Wales, you can do better than this with Joe Allen and Bellamy.

Back
Top Bottom