FIFA Road to World Cup 2010?

k_19

League 2
6 August 2003
Toronto, Canada
Do you think that EA will release a RTWC game this time around for the next-gen consoles? As good as FIFA has been lately, one thing that will keep me from fully switching over to FIFA from WE will be because of lack of National teams. Of course, I do understand that FIFA has always been more about Club football which is understandable, but they seem to pay such a little attention to this on a yearly basis unless it is some kind of World Cup/Euro themed game. Lots of decent International teams are missing, and it really kills any kind of WC tournament you might want to put together on FIFA. Konami on the other hand started their WE series focused on International Football mainly, and they have kept it that way, and they are adding more official national team licenses yearly now. I reckon that this year I'll be playing FIFA mainly for the manager mode for clubs, and WE/PES for international football. Too bad newer-gen FIFA engine isn't in the PC version, otherwise people would have been able to edit it add more teams and whatnot.

When do you think the possible release date for such title might be? Probably not until the middle of 09 maybe? Since FIFA lost their Champions League license, I can see them focusing on national competition games as their secondary titles from now on. I'm hoping that they can make it like FIFA 08 and literally add every national team there is. And with FIFA improving their game drastically over the last couple years, I can see this game being even more refined, and by then perhaps I will be fully converted to FIFA. ;)

At the very least, I hope it will be better than the RTWC '06... that was... ugh. Awful.

they already have done... for your 1st sentence on the 360 and it was awful but I loved the graphics!

and yes I think they will be as a replacement for not having the uefa cl license and I think its a SMART ASS MOVE

as world cup games sell millions good or bad!

I've read in a review that there will be PS3 exclusive World Cup mode in FIFA09.
I'm not sure if that includes "a road to"...40 teams seems not enough to have that possibility (unless only 40 teams are playable, which would be a very Konami-like solution and seems improbable to me).

The mode you speak of isn't an actual World Cup mode Gerd, it's the "FIFA Interactive World Cup" or FIWC mode. It's an event that hardcore gaming nerds compete in for the chance to be crowned the world's best FIFA gamer; you can only qualify for it on the PS3, but it's nothing to do with the actual World Cup. I don't even think it's limited to national teams.

I'm glad it's a PS3 exclusive to be honest, perhaps a few of the glitchers on the 360 will decide to buy a PS3 for the chance to compete in the FIWC, and we'll have less glitching cheats to play against on the 360... ;)

OOPS, my mistake...sorry.
Well i won't be bothering that mode then.

But explain me one thing, i'm maybe naïve but how can you cheat online (apart from stopping the match when loosing i don't see any other way).

PS: this is an honest informative question, not sarcasm...

Well Gerd, some will say it's not cheating, but it defies realism and it's done with the aim of winning unfairly so to me, it is cheating. Examples (in FIFA 08 of course, I hope they're fixed or a workaround is possible in FIFA 09):

Some players refuse to shoot because they know they'll be left with an open goal if they run to the far-side of the goal, wait for the goalkeeper to position himself there, and then pass it to an unmarked striker following up (yes it happens in real life but as I said, some people refuse to shoot for the ENTIRE GAME because they know the goalkeepers are too good from a certain distance and they're just waiting for the above situation).

Some people will hammer the pass button constantly with automatic passing switched on, meaning that if they get a goal, the rest of the game consists of their players passing it back and forth across the pitch. No movement forward whatsoever - and what really annoys me is when they pass it back to the goalkeeper and perform kick-ups for the rest of the game.

Some (most) people will hack you down if you're through on goal, knowing that the referee will only give a red card once in a hundred times (thankfully this appears to be fixed in FIFA 09).

There is no point in scoring a goal before 15 minutes online, because if you do, the other person will quit and they won't be punished for it (EA included that "bail-out" for people who genuinely lose their connection within the first 15 minutes, but it was always going to be abused). So you will often see both teams purposefully holding the ball and not moving forward until the 15 minute mark has passed.

These are the kind of people I don't wish to play; unfortunately there are more of them than there are genuine football fans...

Last edited:
They should ban people from connecting to the EA servers if they have a certain DNF, that would stop the cheating/mardy fucks

Thanks Chris...i never play online and i'm not sure such a world ranking would appeal to me.
A sort of online manager mode would be great though...where you can buy each other's players during transfer periods.

Is that possible online or can you only play leagues (and cups) ?

Leagues and cups, though the the online MM is sort of coming next year in the Be A Pro section. Managers will be able to "buy" other players from clubs, those players being real people. So it'll be better than just having an online MM with CPU players :))

Thanks Chris...i never play online and i'm not sure such a world ranking would appeal to me.
A sort of online manager mode would be great though...where you can buy each other's players during transfer periods.

Is that possible online or can you only play leagues (and cups) ?
That's something I've wanted to see for years Gerd; there is an "online leagues" mode, where you can form a league and play with others (which is what we did here last year). It's great because you can just play with those who don't cheat, and if anyone does they can be kicked out. :) But unfortunately it's just a standard league format with no promotion or relegation, no cup(s), no transfers etc...

There is also what Dags talks about above, but that's in the game-mode where you control a single player (Be A Pro), and I'm not too keen on that at this moment in time (who knows, I might love it, but at the moment I still prefer controlling a whole team; I think there is a point where you have to say, it's only a game, controlling the entire team is fun even if it's not exactly realistic).

Back
Top Bottom