FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

We all percieve 'Freedom' differently I guess...but too much 'so called' freedom can turn things into shite. Im looking for 'balance' in terms of response vs. realism, and ultimately i favour 'realism' with the way players, animations and ball - look, move and feel to the User. Its ultimately why I wont be playing Fifa20 (deleted the demo 20mins in). Its the perfect example of having all the 'bells n whistles', great presentation...but who gives a fk, when everything else, most notably n importantly - the ball physics, player models and basic running animations are so so bad. I cannot look past this. Im extremely glad (as i put my PES Fanboy Hat/Shirt on) that Konami have really worked hard this year to produce a game ive been waiting so long for. And 2 versions of it...no longer is it Fifa vs Pes, but PES 1.2 vs PES 1.0... Bring On PES 1.3...

We all percieve 'Freedom' differently I guess...but too much 'so called' freedom can turn things into shite. Im looking for 'balance' in terms of response vs. realism, and ultimately i favour 'realism' with the way players, animations and ball - look, move and feel to the User. Its ultimately why I wont be playing Fifa20 (deleted the demo 20mins in). Its the perfect example of having all the 'bells n whistles', great presentation...but who gives a fk, when everything else, most notably n importantly - the ball physics, player models and basic running animations are so so bad. I cannot look past this. Im extremely glad (as i put my PES Fanboy Hat/Shirt on) that Konami have really worked hard this year to produce a game ive been waiting so long for. And 2 versions of it...no longer is it Fifa vs Pes, but PES 1.2 vs PES 1.0... Bring On PES 1.3...

I have done game play patches for fifa and pes and what I find is that any change in response to players, must be balanced with things like increased player aggression, slower pass speed and lower shooting ability. If they aren't games become too arcade with high scores

In saying there is versions of PES this year, are you able to switch between the updates?

Not debating your opinion, which I respect, but 20min is not enough time specially if you r used to Pes gameplay. Trust me, this fifa20 can offer you more realism gameplay feelings than pes2020 if you give yourself time to learn its gameplay properly. Every single aspect of the game from passing to dribbling, shielding an so on ... has got variant to it, which make the gameplay more fluid, I believe when the full game is out, having the option to slow the speed of the game by a notch will add more realism.

Reactions: OBH
Not debating your opinion, which I respect, but 20min is not enough time specially if you r used to Pes gameplay. Trust me, this fifa20 can offer you more realism gameplay feelings than pes2020 if you give yourself time to learn its gameplay properly. Every single aspect of the game from passing to dribbling, shielding an so on ... has got variant to it, which make the gameplay more fluid, I believe when the full game is out, having the option to slow the speed of the game by a notch will add more realism.

At the end of the day we all perceive things differently. For my eyes, brain, and way I perceive what I see/feel when playing Fifa20, 20mins is certainty enough to know I just cannot get past some of the basics like player models, animations and ball physics. Its the first thing you see and feel.. and the variations etc come later. Yes, Fifa has more variations in moves and animations etc, which is great, but that means absolutely nothing to me as I cannot even get there.. Just passing the ball and running around in the first 20mins was so off putting. I don't think it has anything to do what im used to. When I played pes2020 for first time, felt so weighty and amazing with movement, passing.. everything felt spot on (and its actually fun just playing around in free training mode) as if I was doing the real thing - well, the closest to the real thing a football videogame can get. So yeah.. it comes down to whats more important. For you Variation may mean realism.. for me its first get the Basics right, how things look.. feel, and getting this as realistic as possible. Mind you, I do think PES has done so much this year, more than I can ever remember between versions, to dramatically increase variations in all aspects of the game, including a huge improvement in AI variety. Its a big year for PES fans :)

Pes 19 was good at first too but after one or two weeks i started to see how ,,ugly'' this game is. Every year you can see on this forum that some users trying to make pes look like ,,king is back '' , ,, best pes since pes6'' , they coming every single day on forum just to make post ,, omg , i love this game'' ,, lovely game ''
Its like , they trying to convince themselfes that this game is so good :D if you like something you don't need to convince other people how you feel good - its natural for human being. You can see it every single year here :D after one months most of users changing their opionion ;) just wait few weeks more and you will see ;) my conclusion is that we shouldnt judge game after few days from release , Its like judge pretty girl on street coz her look but after few days you find out that she is prostitute ;)

At the end of the day we all perceive things differently. For my eyes, brain, and way I perceive what I see/feel when playing Fifa20, 20mins is certainty enough to know I just cannot get past some of the basics like player models, animations and ball physics.
Interesting. I do wonder how your opinion of the pes demo may have changed over a longer period of time than 20mins though :)) I do understand what you mean though. I don’t have to play a game like WoW, or anything like that, for more than 5 minutes before I know it’s just not my thing.

For me personally, PES is a million miles ahead in regard to recreating the basics of pass-and-move football. It’s better in every way, from pace to pass precision, everything. However, I feel restricted by PES’s combination of unintuitive controls, lack of options and outdated OP defending. You only need to go into the controls list of both games to see the the sheer number of additional options Fifa gives you to manipulate both yourself and the ball compared to PES.

I understand that this won’t be important to everyone. Let’s be honest, the main buttons a player will use are pass, shoot, sprint, and through ball, and PES is better at almost all of them. Plenty of people will stick to using the exact same few buttons as they have done for as long as three decades playing football games, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, PES is miles better in this regard as I mentioned earlier. But sometimes I want to try something different, or I know that a little shimmy to the left creates that extra half yard of space that I need to get the pass through, and it’s in those moments that Fifa blows PES out the water.

I’m not saying it’s a better game than PES, I don’t think it is myself. But damn there are a few things about it that I wish PES would use.

One thing that I did notice in the following video, is how you're able to modify you passes in many more ways. You can suit a pass to your need. That's where the button for "Manual"-play (in PES, which I dont need as a manual player) would be obsolete for me; just give us another modifier, so I can finally play driven lobs like it's explained at around 4:34, that's basically all I want!

Last edited:
Pes 19 was good at first too but after one or two weeks i started to see how ,,ugly'' this game is. Every year you can see on this forum that some users trying to make pes look like ,,king is back ''

I did like pes19. And yeah the flaws became very apparent very quick. But just because this was the case for pes19 doesnt mean itll be the same deal with pes2020... same company yeah, but its so clear...even after 2 or so weeks...or since the demo actually , that they are very different games. Pes2020 is miles ahead..and so many of the issues from pes19 have been worked on and improved. Probably the biggest step forward between consecutive versions of PES ive seen.

And its not about making or forcing others to like what i like. Im just putting up my views in a comparison thread. Like music, its all about personal taste. Even though i still cannot understand how nobody else thinks that 'Grand Magus' are the best viking metal band of all time....

Pes 19 was good at first too but after one or two weeks i started to see how ,,ugly'' this game is. Every year you can see on this forum that some users trying to make pes look like ,,king is back '' , ,, best pes since pes6'' , they coming every single day on forum just to make post ,, omg , i love this game'' ,, lovely game ''
Its like , they trying to convince themselfes that this game is so good :D if you like something you don't need to convince other people how you feel good - its natural for human being. You can see it every single year here :D after one months most of users changing their opionion ;) just wait few weeks more and you will see ;) my conclusion is that we shouldnt judge game after few days from release , Its like judge pretty girl on street coz her look but after few days you find out that she is prostitute ;)
except it wasn't, pes 19 was garbage on release and most of the year. On release it had the awful AI attacking bug, wing/low cross/goal and no fouls. I hated it. Pes 2020 is more like an advanced 2017. Brilliant

One thing that I did notice in the following video, is how you're able to modify you passes in many more ways. You can suit a pass to your need. That's where the button for "Manual"-play (in PES, which I dont need as a manual player) would be obsolete for me; just give us another modifier, so I can finally play driven lobs like it's explained at around 4:34, that's basically all I want!

Probably I am misunderstanding you, but you can also play manual passes in FIFA with pressing L1 and R1 at the same time. It's like holding L2 in PES.

Probably I am misunderstanding you, but you can also play manual passes in FIFA with pressing L1 and R1 at the same time. It's like holding L2 in PES.
In pes u can t suite the pass to your needs as in fifa,in fifa u could find that extra space always to pass, in pes u feel restricted because of the mechanics

Reactions: OBH
User metascore from FIFA 11 - FIFA 19.
Well done EA!
giphy.gif

Yes, you are misunderstanding me. It's not about the manual direction, it is the type of pass that I'm talking about. Just watch the video from 4:34 and you will understand the kind of lobbed pass that PES is lacking.

User metascore from FIFA 11 - FIFA 19.
Well done EA!
giphy.gif
Yet it keeps selling more and more.

Yes, you are misunderstanding me. It's not about the manual direction, it is the type of pass that I'm talking about. Just watch the video from 4:34 and you will understand the kind of lobbed pass that PES is lacking.
Exactly. In Fifa for example you have a driven long ball, driven through ball, fancy passes and a few other means of passing that don’t exist in PES (through ‘threaded through ball’ is just stupid and needs to go).

Reactions: ad_
Fifa 16 getting low score is a joke

What stands out for me is how the "professional" critics have made themselves completely irrelevant and untrustworthy over the years, giving these games high ratings year after year. No wonder people have turned to youtube and trust maybe 2-3 people only.

What stands out for me is how the "professional" critics have made themselves completely irrelevant and untrustworthy over the years, giving these games high ratings year after year. No wonder people have turned to youtube and trust maybe 2-3 people only.
Well, the professional critics are certainly more trustworthy than the user reviews in this case. Looking at the sales figures, most people don't seem to care about what random youtubers say about the game.

Well, the professional critics are certainly more trustworthy than the user reviews in this case. Looking at the sales figures, most people don't seem to care about what random youtubers say about the game.

Well there are some garbage games in that list no matter how many people buy them or what some random "pro" critic says. Yes that's my opinion but at least I've got one. They don't. All games are roughly an 8.5 out of ten? Please, they're just parroting marketing material and slapping a high rating randomly. Next one will also be an 8.5 out of ten 10. You heard it here first! Totally worthless information coming from them.

Last edited:
Well there are some garbage games in that list no matter how many people buy them or what some random "pro" critic says. Yes that's my opinion but at least I've got one. They don't. All games are roughly an 8.5 out of ten? Please, they're just parroting marketing material and slapping a high rating randomly. Next one will also be an 8.5 out of ten 10. You heard it here first! Totally worthless information coming from them.
From an objective perspective, none of the last 10 FIFA games are "garbage". People always complain that new versions are basically squad updates for $60, but this necessarily means that the rating must stay the same.

This is an example of a garbage game that deserves a 0/10 rating:

From an objective perspective, none of the last 10 FIFA games are "garbage".

Replace the word "garbage" with "average" or "bad" and my point stands: They're not *all* an 8.5/10. That's just absurd. Some are better than others and this is not reflected in reviews and this is what makes the reviews worthless. That was my point. Also maybe it wasn't clear, but i'm not saying user scores are any more important or trustworthy.

The day that an average footy game (not a truly bad one, but an average one, and I'm including Pes here) gets a 6/10 from critics, will be the day they may reclaim some credibility.

Last edited:
After giving the Fifa early access a good go.
Going back to pro feels like a breath of fresh air for me.
Tried the Milan derby on both and pro just feels so unpredictable. Different attacks, great off the ball movement.
Felt like the old days.
I’ll definitely be playing pro all year and maybe try fifa again when they release on ea access fully come spring.

Edit* crazy how easy Fifa is.
Fifa 3-0 up at half time Milan derby, plus hit the post 3-4 times.
Pro- lost 2-0

Last edited:
For the first time in years, I prefer PES to FIFA for my offline fix. It's been ages since that's been the case, but despite its flaws, it's the lesser of the two "evils" this year. I've already played more PES 2020 than I have the past 4-5 iterations.

After giving the Fifa early access a good go.
Going back to pro feels like a breath of fresh air for me.

Same here. The big thing for me is that for the most part, PES 2020 looks and feels like a modern game. Well, minus the atmosphere and sound design, of course.

I don't see PES as an Evil - as in the best of a bad bunch. I think the game is superb this year really enjoyable to play.
The movement, the physicality, the AI and the physics just make it a great game. I play full manual superstar. FIFA demo felt very similar to 19 to me which i just didn't get on with. Also hated FIFA 18, FIFA 17 and PES 18 and 19. I have been on PES 17 for the last 2 years. Before that i was FIFA all the way back to 2008 and PES/WE/ISS before that :) . For me PES 2020 is probably the best football game i have played and brings back the feeling of the old Winning Eleven 7&9 games. Not that it cant be improved gameplay wise but still brilliant. Each to their own though its all personal taste

I am worried about the future of football games.

Fifa is resting on its laurels way too much because they have essentially no competition.
Pes is improving so little because Konami doesn't care to sell 1/10 of Fifa sales, as long as they can earn money from Myclub.

I really really hope they will ban lootboxes altogether, they are destroying sports games, including Nba 2k.

I am worried about the future of football games.

Fifa is resting on its laurels way too much because they have essentially no competition.
Pes is improving so little because Konami doesn't care to sell 1/10 of Fifa sales, as long as they can earn money from Myclub.

I really really hope they will ban lootboxes altogether, they are destroying sports games, including Nba 2k.
Konami have just made the best football game in 13 years. I wouldnt say it's improving a little i'd say it's massively improved and seems like a new start for the series. If they only cared about myclub then they wouldnt of put so much effort in this year and would of just plodded along.

EA devs have the easiest job in the world. Put out any old crap even if it resembles ice hockey or basketball more than football and it will sell 15 million plus easy. It's hard to see Fifa ever taking on PES gameplay wise in the future now they are more than happy with bells n whistles, presentation and fut as thats exactly what their customers want.

Yes, Pes has improved on gameplay, but essentially they brought it back at good levels. One year it's good, the next year they unbalance everything just so that they can say the year after they fixed it.

With Pes i don't see a noticeable steady improvement, just some slight improvement overall.
But in everything else Pes is so behind the times. Even their most profitable mode, Myclub, is essentially the same since years.

And Master League, yeah, they improved it, but is it really a big improvement? I mean, it's enough to be enjoyable but there is nothing there to last for more than few months.

The last huge change in football games has been a negative one, it came around 2012 with lootboxes infested modes that are ruining sports games overall. Not a real improvement in physics, AI, simulation, tactics, in ages. Both football games are noticeably improving only in graphics and animation smoothness.

I can only hope next gen consoles and their majorly upgraded CPUs will give developers the tools to advance all those AI based elements in football games.

But look at the way developers are talking about next gen consoles: they are happy about SSD loading times and raytracing.

Essentially better graphics and loading times helping open world games. How exciting. :TD:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom